Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Game seems really solid so far - and far better received than SF5. So much so that it's pretty nuts.

The new mechanics are nice, probably going to make for some big hype moments in tournament play. At least until we're all used to them and the usages are mostly "solved" or the risks are considered too big to use them much.

Wtf is wrong with Guile, i have to hold back button for 2 secs before launching sonic hurricane, even if the key log shows keys pressed correctly
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    Wtf is wrong with Guile, i have to hold back button for 2 secs before launching sonic hurricane, even if the key log shows keys pressed correctly
    ...is this your first charge character?

My dude. What?!

It also works when you hold back + down. Weird huh? Game needs more polish with that kind of oversight.

Did you know:

When using modern controls, you can block by just holding back.

The yellow arrow on an input means you need to charge by holding that direction. I've been playing Chun-Li and the soonest I've seen her moves charge is 45 frames. I tried out Sonic Hurricane in the training room and 47 frames was the shortest duration I had to charge for to get it to come out correctly, which is the same as my fastest none-perfect Sonic Booms. I'm assuming it's 45 frames too at a minimum.

You can hold either back or down back and still get the charge - This means you can charge Sonic Boom and Flash Kick at the same time, which is useful in neutral and why Guile is generally considered a more defensive character.

You can charge while blocking, airborne, knocked down, during hitstun and even before the start of the round. The trick to playing charge characters well is to Always Be Charging. Don't take that 100% literally, or else you'll just end up being pushed into the corner or eating jump-ins, but you should be charging whenever you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    ...is this your first charge character?
    Click back a few pages. They've not played a fighter in 20+ years.

I'd be willing to bet yes.
    Last edited by StrawberryZebra; 2023-06-07 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Cow View Post
    Did you know:

When using modern controls, you can block by just holding back.
    I just choked on my popcorn and almost died.

New trailer for Rashid!

Got a release date too, 24 July.

Capcom have done fantastic with him. He looks so much better than in SFV, for a character who was arguably the hero of the SFV story, he had a rather bland design and it never seemed to fit his energetic and over the top personality. Those extra touches of colour go a long way and add a ton of extra life to his design. His personality is front and center in everything he says and does.

Gameplay wise, his combo's look amazing. Loving the air combos - They're just perfect for him.

It's clear Capcom put a lot of thought and care into both his design and gameplay. They've set the bar very high and I'm hopeful they'll continue to deliver to this standard.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    New trailer for Rashid!

Got a release date too, 24 July.

Capcom have done fantastic with him. He looks so much better than in SFV, for a character who was arguably the hero of the SFV story, he had a rather bland design and it never seemed to fit his energetic and over the top personality. Those extra touches of colour go a long way and add a ton of extra life to his design. His personality is front and center in everything he says and does.

Gameplay wise, his combo's look amazing. Loving the air combos - They're just perfect for him.

It's clear Capcom put a lot of thought and care into both his design and gameplay. They've set the bar very high and I'm hopeful they'll continue to deliver to this standard.
    God as Amazing as he looks...Freak Fights are going to get INSANE with create a characters with his acrobatics.

I have been enjoying Marisa more than expected. Slumping an opponent into the command grab is sick.

I wasn't too keen on Marisa. I kept bungling meaties because I held the button for too long so perhaps this one is on me?

I am having fun with Deejay though, he plays similar to Slayer from Guilty Gear who was another character I enjoyed. Dandy Step into Pile Bunker lights up the monkey part of my brain. I just love fake outs into counter hits, and Deejay is the only SF character that really has them.

The big surprise for me though was Lilly. With her wind charges she's got a plus on block get in move and her command grab range is deceptively large. Her neutral is okay too, decent range on normals and good access to knockdowns make it consistent if nothing else. She's probably one of the easier characters to play because her game plan is easy to understand and easy to execute. I cheesed so many undeserved wins with her for basically free, so I'm surprised she's not more popular.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    I wasn't too keen on Marisa. I kept bungling meaties because I held the button for too long so perhaps this one is on me?
    It is easy to get over eager on her because the armor on the charge punch and many of her moves carry her forward. Everyone wants to charge it, armor up and go right in a DI. This is naturally what you figure out early on, but becomes predictable such that higher-tier play will punish you for it a lot.

The Superman punch is safe on block and that is a major harassing tool for her to push people toward the corner. That is where she does her work- the block into command grab, block in overhead, mixed with Superman punch, and right back into your 1-2 slump combo.

Her back and down-heavy punches are great. People misjudge the range and recovery of those a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    It is easy to get over eager on her because the armor on the charge punch and many of her moves carry her forward. Everyone wants to charge it, armor up and go right in a DI. This is naturally what you figure out early on, but becomes predictable such that higher-tier play will punish you for it a lot.

The Superman punch is safe on block and that is a major harassing tool for her to push people toward the corner. That is where she does her work- the block into command grab, block in overhead, mixed with Superman punch, and right back into your 1-2 slump combo.

Her back and down-heavy punches are great. People misjudge the range and recovery of those a lot.
    You can check Marisas Superman punch for a counter punish with any normal with modest reach. I’ve used Cammy’s SMK SHK and SMP to check it with a lot of success in platinum games

- - - Updated - - -

Honda and Blanka players can eat a bag of dicks. Free full screen moves that are safe on block? The only justification I can think of is perfect parry.

Quote Originally Posted by NotBigzo View Post
    You can check Marisas Superman punch for a counter punish with any normal with modest reach. I’ve used Cammy’s SMK SHK and SMP to check it with a lot of success in platinum games
    Sure, but you can also go 50/50 on a lot of Marisa's moves and lead in with a command grab.

- - - Updated - - -

I also think Lilly is surprising to fight against. She can peel a game off you easily because her kit is kind of strong. A lot of tools are on her side.

Quote Originally Posted by NotBigzo View Post
    Honda and Blanka players can eat a bag of dicks. Free full screen moves that are safe on block? The only justification I can think of is perfect parry.
    And even if you block you end up in burn out because it just destroys your Drive. If you're fast enough, anti-air moves will work. I appreciate that's a big if though, especially against Blanka. They do feel like one sided match ups though. You've got so much going on in neutral that its hard to keep on top of it all, they're free to just press buttons.

Unrelated, but the choreography on Hondas Level 3 is weird. He grabs you and spins you around to create a ring of fire, which is cool, and its obviously ment to be a Sumo ring, then without letting go pushes you towards one edge of the ring and throws you back into the middle. He doesn't knock you out of the ring, which would have been a clear big win for Honda. The fire plays no part at all in the super. He just throws you to the ground, so the build up is effectively for nothing.

They could have done a sumo bout much better imo.