Poll: Are the new Warlock races okay?

Page 1 of 24
... LastLast

Are the new Warlock race options a lore problem?

The new Warlock race options are pretty wild (Lightforged Draenei feels pretty out of pocket). I think if Blizz drops them into the game with zero story or lore justification then it's going to feel pretty rubbish.

What do you think? Does Blizz need to justify the new options, or is the lore just irrelevant at this point?

https://twitter.com/Gurzog/status/1656813130276585473 spoiler: they have a new questline just for that.

Nice! Thanks for sharing that.

Anything coming out these days should be a lore problem. But as long as blizz says so it isn't a problem for the core playerbase that they've deliberately catered to. The only "lore" that matters is existential to the expansion at hand.

I think there will some lore explanation, this is why they waited a bit longer with expanding warlock to all races even if they don't need any new assets for that. But I also hope some if not all races will get some new skin options that are more warlocky. Eredar skin often turns purple or red from using fel magic so this should affect both draenei and lightforged.

Then there are orcs, Mag'har's skin turns green from using fel, for some green orcs fel magic turned their skin red. Also Mag'har Warlock sounds like oxymoron given that Mag'har mean uncorrupted.

Quote Originally Posted by Divada View Post
    I think if Blizz drops them into the game with zero story or lore justification then it's going to feel pretty rubbish.

What do you think? Does Blizz need to justify the new options, or is the lore just irrelevant at this point?
    Maybe for lore-nuts, but the average player looking for more options won't give a single crap about the lore breaking. They'll see one day when making an alt that any of these new Race/Class combos will be available and they will be like "Cool!" They won't be like "Wait what??? This doesn't make sense"

Speaking from my personal pov, I do care a bit but I realize it's out of my control. At the end of the day Blizzard has always operated under the mantra that the game comes first. For lore aficionados me saying it's been a rocky road is probably an understatement.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    The mag'har seems odd, since mag'har literally means "No fel allowed".

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Night elves make sense as they have highborne who once turned to Fel.
    Lightforged are more puzzling, as the Light doesn't go hand in hand with Fel. The Draenei as well, unless we're talking about Eredar who turned to the Fel, their racials are quite in odds with the class.
    Tauren make little sense. The only thing i can come up with are Grimtotem turning to Fel. Highmountain recruting Feltotem? Still a weird combination to be honest.
    Mag'har is straight up against their racial Savage Blood, since their blood is no longer pure once they take up the Fel. Unless we're talking about some sort of Shadowmoon necrolytes or something, meaning they are more into shadow than Fel.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampyr78 View Post
    I think there will some lore explanation, this is why they waited a bit longer with expanding warlock to all races even if they don't need any new assets for that. But I also hope some if not all races will get some new skin options that are more warlocky. Eredar skin often turns purple or red from using fel magic so this should affect both draenei and lightforged.

Then there are orcs, Mag'har's skin turns green from using fel, for some green orcs fel magic turned their skin red. Also Mag'har Warlock sounds like oxymoron given that Mag'har mean uncorrupted.
    Fel made them green. Demon blood made them red.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Divada View Post
    The new Warlock race options are pretty wild (Lightforged Draenei feels pretty out of pocket). I think if Blizz drops them into the game with zero story or lore justification then it's going to feel pretty rubbish.

Overall, I wold say yes but with this change, there's no excuse for restrictions on Paladins either, Druids and Shamans are a little off still.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    Lightforged are more puzzling, as the Light doesn't go hand in hand with Fel. The Draenei as well, unless we're talking about Eredar who turned to the Fel, their racials are quite in odds with the class.
    Tauren make little sense. The only thing i can come up with are Grimtotem turning to Fel. Highmountain recruting Feltotem? Still a weird combination to be honest.
    Mag'har is straight up against their racial Savage Blood, since their blood is no longer pure once they take up the Fel. Unless we're talking about some sort of Shadowmoon necrolytes or something, meaning they are more into shadow than Fel.
    Night elf warlocks could also be introduced through Illidari.
    Draenei, as you said, could be eredar or perhaps one of the sargerei we met on Draenor.

There is also high elf warlock trainer in WotLK Dalaran who has title of Summoner, so they might go that route for some races.

NE Druids were never supposed to be women, Metzen fought long against allowing this, but gave in in the end.
    Lore has been shit upon over the years to the point where lorelol is the status quo (see pandaria...).

D&D no longer allows for little people to be called so and so much other nonsense.
    Fantasy and sci-fi has been infected by a careless of lore, an infestation of wokeness and a general lack of understanding of what brings mystery and uniqueness to a universe.

What, make a quest line about a little NE girl venturing into druidism and being slapped by her mentors because "it's not allowed", creating tension in a universe and bringing upon new paths for stores?

BLASPHEMY! SEXIST! BIGOT! RACIST! INSURECTIONIST! TRUMPIST! OMG LOOK AT HIS POST HISTORY PROBABLY SUPPORTS HITLER AND FOX NEWS TOO! RANDOM WORDS MISUSED AND WITHOUT CONTEXT!

/rant off

Kil'Jaeden and his band of fel musqueteers have already shown how Draenei fell to fel (huhhuhu) a loooong time ago, and Shadow Priests are dabbling in dark powers way worse than fel...

But just removing class restrictions willy nilly is pretty retarded, as long as they add quest lines to justify it that's fine, if the quest lines make sense, as mentioned above.

I mean at this point we've seen that the Light are a bunch of possessive assholes anyway, how's fel any worse, how's Shadow any worse...?

Quote Originally Posted by Vaedan View Post
    Night elf warlocks could also be introduced through Illidari.
    Draenei, as you said, could be eredar or perhaps one of the sargerei we met on Draenor.

There is also high elf warlock trainer in WotLK Dalaran who has title of Summoner, so they might go that route for some races.
    Night elf Warlocks exist in the RPG.

Again, the Draenei would have made sense if it wasn't for their racials.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am mainly hoping that the draenai warlock thing wont destroy any hope of a man'ari allied race.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vampyr78 View Post

I completly agree with all of your points, even if there is some draenai warlock in wod that are not man'ari, but i dont want the man'ari to just be one skin tone...either way i even doubt blizz is going to give any customozations.

I was really hoping for racial pet customizations. Like a lightforged imp or an voidwalker with a tiki mask.

I guess what they added is better than nothing but it doesn't actually create any new lore or flavor. It basically just provides a motivation for an individual to become a warlock which wasn't lacking in the first place. All around its lazy and doesn't bode well for the rest of the locked race / class customizations in the future

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    I was really hoping for racial pet customizations. Like a lightforged imp or an voidwalker with a tiki mask.

I guess what they added is better than nothing but it doesn't actually create any new lore or flavor. It basically just provides a motivation for an individual to become a warlock which wasn't lacking in the first place. All around its lazy and doesn't bode well for the rest of the locked race / class customizations in the future
    Its exactly what i said in my man'ari allied race thread, this only enforce my will to promote allied races over customozations as allied races brought more flavors than customizaitons ever did.

Since they made Forsaken priests work, nothing is taboo.

Ironically, making the LFD into individuals with free will and the choice to use fel on the side is better lore than the very little lore they already had.

Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    All of kaldorei society exists as a direct response to that event. Arcane magic was outlawed and punishable for ten thousand years, let alone fel magic.

Mages and warlocks should be locked up or killed on sight by any night elf.

Yes, of course it's a lore problem, just like it has been since they handwaved nelf mages into heretical existance back in Cata.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ameonna View Post
    I am mainly hoping that the draenai warlock thing wont destroy any hope of a man'ari allied race.
    This is just a good excuse to add more varied customization options. They've been sprinkling in new skins and hair colors and eye options here and there all expansion already.

They don't even need to do a whole separate allied race, just add more options to the existing races. Put it behind a quest like the Dark Ranger skin for blood elves if needs be.