Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    I really don't Making your performance rely on others has always been pretty shitty in wow. Corruptions highlighted it the most. I don't really get the fetish for it...
    I agree, personally I would be fine with just 4dps/1 tank but people enjoy the support/healer role fantasy and if one of those two has to be in the game I would much prefer it be a support to a healer. Surely being reliant on another player to keep you alive is far more detrimental to your performance than being reliant on another player to give you 40% more dps.

Maybe they could make it so the DPS they give to other players actually shows up as their DPS not the other players? That'd remove the feeling that a large part of your DPS is reliant on another player and give that player a metric to track their performance.

I really don't Making your performance rely on others has always been pretty shitty in wow. Corruptions highlighted it the most. I don't really get the fetish for it...
    And you know if you want to support your group, play a healer. Play a tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    And you know if you want to support your group, play a healer. Play a tank.
    Nah they want the ability to say I AM HELPING without any of the pressure or responsibility those 2 roles provide.

I think it's a great "idea" and a very gutsy move, but the infrastructure of the entire game and the persona of the player base stack the odds against it working out. It does have the potential to work out on the Pve side of the game, especially if the dmg buffs extend to multiple players. But, I don't see how this works out on the pvp side of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by jeezusisacasual View Post
    Nah they want the ability to say I AM HELPING without any of the pressure or responsibility those 2 roles provide.
    Yeah, probably. Really if Blizzard actually manages to track damage back to Augmenters imagine the whining "my damage is low cause the people I buffed sucked!"

I'm reminded of paladin auras.

This is kind of my worry... I really dont wanna go back to tbc where you brought a shammy just because they could press bloodlust. Since you needed four and whatever else they did barely mattered as much you had a lot of near carries in groups.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    I agree 100%, as a tank main from day 1 i took pride in my threat, mitigation/damage reduction, and CD usage. I felt awesome when a healer would say "holy shit you are easy to heal" but i NEVER took pride in doing high dmg. I didnt AVOID doing max damage, but regardless of what the forum warriors try to say 20 years later, it was NOT expected of us.

As a healer, i took pride in making the tanks job as easy as possible, while also covering for the mistakes of DPS without pointing fingers and throwing a tantrum. Those were the good runs, where at the end everyone just said "man, that was a smooth run, thanks guys!". It was a much simpler time, and obviously the GAME was much simpler as well, which no doubt was a factor.

I miss those days, but M+ was the final nail in that coffin, so I am not saying those who enjoy the modern SPEED IS KING style of play are wrong, they enjoy it and thats fine. Im also not expecting them to change after all this time, so it just is what it is.
    One of the core issues is that if tanks aren't mostly self-sufficient, it is a miserable role to play. You have no agency in the original game comparatively, you just hope your healer isn't afk. So now most tank specs are basically superman, and everyone else is the rest of the Justice League lol. Tanks dying is almost always their fault, not the healer, in the modern game.

So because of that, the healer is now mostly responsible for healing DPS. In new dungeons, this is often pretty difficult because there is a lot more pulsing unavoidable AE damage, like the ice lady in HoI. But in many older dungeons, like court and FH and UR, there's very little damage to a good group so the healer just does DPS the whole time.

I personally think the pulsing damage stuff is probably the best solution because healers actually have to heal.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    It was not fun then, and it will not be fun now.
    But lots of people play those classes in classic. Seems like this is just a "you" thing. I don't see them adding more strictly support specs, but increasing the utility aspects of unpopular PvE specs, like Feral Druid.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashana Darkmoon View Post
    One of the core issues is that if tanks aren't mostly self-sufficient, it is a miserable role to play. You have no agency in the original game comparatively, you just hope your healer isn't afk. So now most tank specs are basically superman, and everyone else is the rest of the Justice League lol. Tanks dying is almost always their fault, not the healer, in the modern game.

So because of that, the healer is now mostly responsible for healing DPS. In new dungeons, this is often pretty difficult because there is a lot more pulsing unavoidable AE damage, like the ice lady in HoI. But in many older dungeons, like court and FH and UR, there's very little damage to a good group so the healer just does DPS the whole time.

I personally think the pulsing damage stuff is probably the best solution because healers actually have to heal.
    I disagree since it was the mark of a good player to avoid that sort of damage now it just happens. DPS is the most important aspect of the game and still continues to be and will always be that way since we are basing everything on a timer either a M+ timer or an enrage timer. Now i only bring resto shamans into my groups ( i tank ) since they have so many tools + lust + dmg plus cc abilities and raid viable cds in a 5 man setting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Yeah, probably. Really if Blizzard actually manages to track damage back to Augmenters imagine the whining "my damage is low cause the people I buffed sucked!"
    Oh god i never thought about that either and the more blaming will be had

- - - Updated - - -

This is kind of my worry... I really dont wanna go back to tbc where you brought a shammy just because they could press bloodlust. Since you needed four and whatever else they did barely mattered as much you had a lot of near carries in groups.
    People want individuality in a game with 30+ specs / classes is insane to me and for it to be somewhat balanced.

5+ Year Old Account
    My issue is with the problem that comes with making an enitrely new role that is gonna be utterly awful to balance around.
    For some reason, I started having flashbacks to the BC era, when lacking resto shamans meant that raid had to be basically called off
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

I disagree since it was the mark of a good player to avoid that sort of damage now it just happens. DPS is the most important aspect of the game and still continues to be and will always be that way since we are basing everything on a timer either a M+ timer or an enrage timer. Now i only bring resto shamans into my groups ( i tank ) since they have so many tools + lust + dmg plus cc abilities and raid viable cds in a 5 man setting.

- - - Updated - - -
    What are you disagreeing with?

Herald of the Titans Nightshade711's Avatar
    1+ Year Old Account
    I mean… if blizzard is successful in the combat logs that attribute extra damage from buffs to the Evoker instead of the person buffed… why would this be a disaster?
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Chen isn't a Monk

Herald of the Titans Dristereau's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not convinced by it. Feeling like it will be mandatory or completely useless in Raids, Keys as well. From a 2v2 perspective, if it's classed as DPS does it compete with a normal Damage Dealer? Not sure what to even think of it in Rated 3's/Shuffle.

Personally feel like by 11.0 it will either be a DPS or Tank.
    Dristereau - Axxolentus - Infernus - Sequentia - Nulo - Desterrar

Silvermoon
    - Shadowsong/Aszune - Tarren-Mill/Dentarg (SL Mage Tower: 29/36
    )

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade711 View Post
    I mean… if blizzard is successful in the combat logs that attribute extra damage from buffs to the Evoker instead of the person buffed… why would this be a disaster?
    That's not going to happen. SOME of the damage is going to work that way, because it scales up its own damage based on the damage other people are doing within a specific window - but the straight buffs are not going to show up on your own meter somehow. To do that, they'd have to radically change the way the combat log works, and then you'd have to do it for OTHER classes too and all the damage from Arcane Intellect or whatever would have to be in a different place, too. And they aren't going to do that.

I'll be happy to be proved wrong, of course. Things ARE still changing, since this isn't out yet.

Herald of the Titans Nightshade711's Avatar
    1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    That's not going to happen. SOME of the damage is going to work that way, because it scales up its own damage based on the damage other people are doing within a specific window - but the straight buffs are not going to show up on your own meter somehow. To do that, they'd have to radically change the way the combat log works, and then you'd have to do it for OTHER classes too and all the damage from Arcane Intellect or whatever would have to be in a different place, too. And they aren't going to do that.

I'll be happy to be proved wrong, of course. Things ARE still changing, since this isn't out yet.
    I mean I don’t think it could be TOO hard to implement.
    Since most of Evoker’s buffs are flat damage buffs through stats. (Main stat & Vers)

Just have two different calculations for damage. One that would be “without the buff”, and then one “with the buff.”
    Just attribute the difference between the two to the Evoker.

Though the crit buff would be harder to attribute. (But not the “abilities have a 15% change to echo”) one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Chen isn't a Monk

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade711 View Post
    I mean I don’t think it could be TOO hard to implement.
    Since most of Evoker’s buffs are flat damage buffs through stats. (Main stat & Vers)

Just have two different calculations for damage. One that would be “without the buff”, and then one “with the buff.”
    Just attribute the difference between the two to the Evoker.

Though the crit buff would be harder to attribute. (But not the “abilities have a 15% change to echo”) one.
    It's not impossible but it's a ton of work for fairly little benefit, and then as I said, other classes would cry for the same. That'd completely change the way combat logs work, and significantly increase the load on the server if you keep on doubling up on calculations. This is just not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashana Darkmoon View Post
    What are you disagreeing with?
    Disagreeing with the idea that pulsing damage is the best way forward, the reward for being better at avoiding damage should be to not take the damage allowing the healer to provide support in the form of DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Delekii View Post
    100% agree. FFXI and to a lesser degree 14 show this - support classes are either utterly mandatory or worthless. A DPS / tank amp allows you to bring a source of lust while amplifying the already absurd delta between top and bottom dps/tank specs, making the best even better relative to the worst.

It's a _really_ bad move to bring in a solitary support soec unless they are planning to leave it underpowered until they make more.

- - - Updated - - -

It is absolutely, unequivocally NOT more balanced than it ever has been. I'm not sure we've had a time where a tank was more dominant than pld is right now, and there are massive dps outliers too.
    It LITERALLY is more balanced now than it has ever been. Wtf are you on.

Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post
    It LITERALLY is more balanced now than it has ever been. Wtf are you on.
    It LITERALLY is less balanced than it has been in atleast two expansions. Wtf are you on.