Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Do you play wow to make gold? if so.. Why?

Legit question; I don't really understand the whole concept of farming to make gold, playing the AH and the like.

Why do people do it? I personally just keep about 200k gold float which I never drop below so I always have consumables for raid and what not but I've discovered that there are a lot of people out there who just have millions of gold and I just don't understand so I'm asking those people to help me understand.

I personally play wow for raids, I don't really even do M+ unless I'm bored and have nothing else to play
    But most of the time if I'm not raiding in wow, I'm playing another game. It's rare that I have to put in effort to make some gold here and there but when I do I rarely enjoy doing it and while I do understand that different people like different things I am asking, why do you enjoy farming gold?

I make massive amounts of gold through the games features (crafting, old garrison tables, flavor pockets, whatever) for minimal time commitments.

That allows me to play for 'free' and purchase anything available on the bnet shop since the token was implemented, be that pets, mounts, services, expansions, every other blizzard game and expansion, other titles like Modern Warfare or Destiny 2, virtual tickets for blizzcon. Everything.

So yea, just adding a little time to my regular playing schedule allows me to profit massively.

You ask why, i respond with "Why not?".

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    I make massive amounts of gold through the games features (crafting, old garrison tables, flavor pockets, whatever) for minimal time commitments.

That allows me to play for 'free' and purchase anything available on the bnet shop since the token was implemented, be that pets, mounts, services, expansions, every other blizzard game and expansion, other titles like Modern Warfare or Destiny 2, virtual tickets for blizzcon. Everything.

So yea, just adding a little time to my regular playing schedule allows me to profit massively.

Minimal time commitments? I very highly doubt that since if there was a fast easy way to make gold everyone would just do it. I suppose it's a question of what constitutes minimal for you. On average, how long would you say it took to make say 500k gold?

Quote Originally Posted by Lynexia View Post
    Minimal time commitments? I very highly doubt that since if there was a fast easy way to make gold everyone would just do it. I suppose it's a question of what constitutes minimal for you. On average, how long would you say it took to make say 500k gold?
    There are fast ways to make gold with little effort. Sell m+ runs. Sell raid clears. Park some alts out at the Feast event and do it once a week per character. Each Flavor Packet sells for 80-110k gold depending on where the game is at on a patch. Play the AH.
    Any one of these activities can net quite a fair amount of gold for low effort. Add some of them together and it’s quite a bit of additional hold on top of that.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's all relative, when I played and was running 6-8 farms in MOP I did so strictly to raise gold for trading card mounts. I bought nearly everything but a spectral tiger for 80-130k. Trying buying a Fel Drake for any price close to that now.

Big bags are always big money.
    The most persecuted minority is the individual.

No more easy gold in Dragonflight so I ran out of gold to buy tokens and quit playing.

Quick example. I run the soup event on around 40 characters (nearly all camped at the location at level 60) and that takes literally 1 hour a week (total), and usually nets me 2-4 Flavor Pockets each week. I've had a week last month where i gotten 7 (sold all instantly between 80k and 100k).

Crafting netted me vastly higher amounts, but that required planning, leveling professions, farming knowledge and what not, so it's not easily replicated. But just soup farming... there isn't quicker or easier than that, especially when you can camp level 60s there, previously leveled on any of the many XP boost events throughout expansions.

(You can even just level an allied race to 60 and then create a evoker at high level for a double whammy - on different realms, since it's capped at 1 per realm, to get an alt army ready fast)
    Last edited by hulkgor; 2023-07-13 at 02:46 PM.

Everyone plays WoW to turn time into data.

Different people target different forms of data (xmogs, gear, pets, ratings ... and gold).

The answer to OP's question therefore - is that they play WoW to make data (in this case in the form of gold), the same as any other player does.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

I played the auction house pretty heavily in previous expansions, though not this expansion. It's a type of meta game, for me, that I can play in addition to my normal in-game activities. It's the fun of setting up a pipeline, anticipating supply/demand, finding niches, etc. It's just something interesting to do.

I don't enjoy collecting transmogs or pets, but I do enjoy collecting gold. /shrug It's not for everyone

The drop chance of the flavor pocket is about 1/10 and it (currently) sells for 80k (it was already down to 40 in the late first season, will probably happen again soon).
    During one event (15 minutes) you can easily do 12 chars that are parked there, they just need to be 60.
    So that is about 8k/1.5 minutes spent, so we are talking roughly 90 minutes for 500k.

Or just do the racing WQs, there are 6 available even below level 70 (no idea if you can unlock the Forbidden Reach one before level 70).
    It takes roughly 15 minutes for a full circle doing the racing quests + some easy quests for XP (like flying through the loops or photographing). That's 3000g plus roughly 1/3 level, twice a week.

Or you do the racing + gold quests at max level, that roughly doubles the income compared to doing only the racing quests (although I rather prefer also getting XP, I don't just play for gold).

Or you can just spam your profession and get up to 10k per click, even when you let the buyer decide what they give you for some everyday recipe.

And not even talking about the mission table where you were able to get up to 4k gold for 1 minute clicking per char, on the bathroom during Legion or with TLDR during SL.

There are many ways to "quickly" make gold, although some require some setup. You're the only one to tell if that's time worth doing for you. For others it seems to be.

Because I am a goblin and I like to be able to buy anything if I wanted.

Why do people do it?
    why people do anything in game?
    enoyment, to prove they can, to be "better" than others, many reasons

personaly, i have pile of gold bcs i play long time, and many characters, it will just pile up

Mostly by accident, since i went overboard on the profession thing and regularly get between 5 and 15 k per rare craft, sometimes as much as 35k. Goes pretty fast like that.

Though i don't have "millions", just a million and then some.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

I personally don't .. have a few million that I don't even know how I made, but I don't really do anything to make gold. I did a bit in the past, especially in WoD and Legion because it was the low hanging fruit, nowadays it takes too much time and I don't like the activities that generate gold.
    I can totally see why some people enjoy it and there are many reasons to ... maybe there's stuff you wanna buy from AH/vendors , maybe you wanna get game time or shop stuff. Why do real world billionaires go out of their way to make even more money?

Why is it weird that you like when some numbers go up and other people like when different numbers go up?

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post

Whats massive?

Because fun to me is leveling toons and more toons = more gold and gold = playing the game for free.

People grind gold the same reason why you grind raids. We find it fun.

Either nolifers addicted to the game, or people selling gold to other players. That's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by exsanguinate View Post
    Whats massive?
    I'm more in a maintenance mode now (not actively looking for crafts or selling boosts), and i make a couple of million a month just from Feasts, Veiled Augments and the odd craft i pickup when idle at Valdrakken. It was -vastly- higher when i put an effort, especially as a crafter with every profession and every recipe including Lariat or other rarer recipes.

I know people make a lot more from AH flipping, boost sales, and what not, but i like piling up 'easy' gold whilst not committing too much time to the game. Maybe massive wasn't the correct word
    Last edited by hulkgor; 2023-07-13 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbon View Post
    No more easy gold in Dragonflight so I ran out of gold to buy tokens and quit playing.
    Same here. The token became so expensive, that reaching those prices is really hard. I'm not going to play the game to....pay the game. Screw that. If someone have the time to do it, go for it, but not me.

This is also another reason why I limit my gameplay to just 1 month every patch release (this new patch is not for me, so i will skip it).

Instead, I play ESO for free and FF14 once in a while (same as WoW) once I get tired of free games. I have money, but I don't like the idea of wasting real money on game suscriptions (insead of gym suscriptions).