Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

They need a more advanced racial system.

I don't mean scrap the current racial, but maybe do to races/racials what they did with Artifact weapons? Like have a tree and path etc.

And maybe tie in an extra slot for a racial weapon or effect system.

It just seems odd that certain races who are excellent in lore for certain classes or have legendary sects/castes in a class aren't usually first choice for that class because of racials, or at least not as competitive as the first choice for racials.

Still i would have races have certain effects amplifeid in certain classes.. they could do these as abilities or bake them into the racial weapon

I wouldn't mind something like this but they'd have to be balanced evenly or you'd see ridiculous stuff like players getting booted from groups for playing the "less optimal" race for their spec.

10+ Year Old Account
    The homogenization of race-class combinations is trending in the opposite direction of what you propose.

It's part of the whole clamor for more horizontal progression that I've been on for years now. Remove all combat bonuses and in-combat utility benefits from racials, and instead have it be a comprehensive system of side benefits and QoL only - one with actual progression behind it, with incentives to make alts and characters of other races/classes, and so on. Effectively an account-wide "family" of characters that each contribute in some way to give you useful perks that aren't power and cosmetic/vanity rewards. I'm thinking unlocking new character customizations like hair styles/colors, to perhaps entire racial skins like man'ari draenei and so on.

But that's probably too much work for too little appeal, or something.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkilak View Post
    The homogenization of race-class combinations is trending in the opposite direction of what you propose.
    Whatcha thinking? That they'll eventually let you choose from a list of racials when you make your race, instead of it being locked to the race? Maybe let you change racials for a fee?

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    I wouldn't mind something like this but they'd have to be balanced evenly or you'd see ridiculous stuff like players getting booted from groups for playing the "less optimal" race for their spec.
    Or worse, racials for some races get good enough to make differences that everyone swaps to it.

Darkspear Trolls, Throne of Thunder.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Whatcha thinking? That they'll eventually let you choose from a list of racials when you make your race, instead of it being locked to the race? Maybe let you change racials for a fee?
    I would think they'd just eliminate racials as a concept - at least any that affect combat in the slightest capacity.

Things get a retread every few months it seems;
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    It's been a couple of months since anyone posted a "racial thread...an interesting one; Racial Identity

My own comments;
    Some of my own notes deal with exploring racial abilities and relate such abilities to a chosen class...
    Ergo, the Darkspear, in "Darkspear Troll" should mean a lot more than the word itself. And that meaning should carry over differently depending on the chosen class.
    As I posted earlier, I was playing with the idea of a 4th smaller talent tree for racial abilities that would kick in every 15 levels....just playing however.
    I envisioned it as a smaller window next to the three talent tree. Say...a darkspear troll, with his "darkspear" which would be part of his cultural specific weapon. And since he's also a hunter a related proc might be chosen...

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    That's what I'd do. Create a list of racials and you pick 1 defensive, 1 offensive, 2 utility, 1 profession. The pool would be race specific but much of it would be functionally the same across races. E.g. you could have like 5 options for defensives and races would each get a different set of 3 to choose from.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stop, we need more diversity in racial-feel not less. If you are that deep into your min/max that racials start matter (they really don't), you are too deep into the rabbithole.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    I don't mean scrap the current racial, but maybe do to races/racials what they did with Artifact weapons? Like have a tree and path etc.

It just seems odd that certain races who are excellent in lore for certain classes or have legendary sects/castes in a class aren't usually first choice for that class because of racials, or at least not as competitive as the first choice for racials.

Still i would have races have certain effects amplifeid in certain classes.. they could do these as abilities or bake them into the racial weapon
    Not goin to happen. Race is just a vessel. Nothin goin to happen in here most likely. You choose proper race because you like it not because its BIS RACE LOL. Do more around visuals and x effects, non combat abilities etc. not balance.
    Last edited by czarek; 2023-05-31 at 12:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

I pitched an idea a while back of giving us the option to coordinate our choices of racials for the character we play/want to play.

So, you have a selection of racials, with a limitation of how many of each kind you can pick, and the availability of racials is dependent on your level, so, lvl 1, has 1 point to put in, while lvl 70 has 4-5 points.

Making it able for a lvl 70 Human to have Rocket Jump (Goblin, use ability), Set Camp (Vulpera, use ability), Brawn (Tauren, Passive Ability), Hardiness (Orc, Passive Ability), and Might of the Mountain (Dwarf, Passive Ability).
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I think they would be better off removing racials or only keeping non combat non movement based ones. That said it is a flavor thing. I rather race just be cosmetic.

I think all racials should be utility skills for the open world. Like Dracthyr Soar. Dark Iron Mole Machine. Vulpera Camp. Just get rid of the DPS/M+ utility racials. Shadowmeld could be awesome but only useable outdoors or something

Quote Originally Posted by Berkilak View Post
    I would think they'd just eliminate racials as a concept - at least any that affect combat in the slightest capacity.
    The modern take is to make differences tied to background instead of race. That way you can be agile because you're a dancer, or you have good perception because you work as a tracker, or you have high intimidation because you were a bouncer for years, etc.

They could make it that you pick a background, and that determines what abilities or proficiencies you have, but we all know that WoW players will kcik and moan without end.
    They tried to do this with professions year ago (a thing that you can change at any time) and people endlessly complained that they were forced to pick X profession to be competitive (when in reality the difference was completely negligible). In the end Blizzard decided to not only remove that from professions, but on every single corner of the game, erroneously thinking that the stupid complain of those min-maxers was what the entire community wanted and finishing with the Great WoW Homogenization.

7+ Year Old Account
    Racial skills/talents is a nice idea that would only end badly in wow
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

no no no.... you got this all wrong.

One racial for everyone, thats right, everyone make love to everyone until we are all the same race and faction and only have one racial!

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pacotaco View Post
    thinking that the stupid complain of those min-maxers was what the entire community wanted and finishing with the Great WoW Homogenization.
    Well, when you balance the game around the tiny, tiny % of mythic raiders (you know, those folks who will minmax the fun out of even a roller-coaster), this is the logical outcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerbrain View Post
    Stop, we need more diversity in racial-feel not less. If you are that deep into your min/max that racials start matter (they really don't), you are too deep into the rabbithole.
    The Orc stun reduction in Shadowlands PvP did have a noticable effect at the top end, but was also notable in the lower-brackets as well.

I would get rid of any non-flavor racial; breathe underwater? Fine. 10% stun reduction? no.
    "...just imagine if we got a Drust focussed shadowlands instead of the 3d printed robot power tier titan horseshit instead. What might have been eh?" -dope_danny

Opposite take:
    All racials should be Cosmetic and QoL exclusively.

If orcs are the best warriors, then you will 100% be kicked out of groups for playing a goblin warrior. See: Covenants.

Im fine with more racials, and talents, and even cosmetic things like all orcs being able to equip axes regardless of class (night elves can have warglaives, humans can have swords, etc) but the second you put mechanics into, say, elves being the best hunters, youll never see non-elves in raids again.