Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I ask the question, when is it going to be suitable to charge 70 dollars anyway? 60 dollar games for nearly 25 years, how can they justify going to 70 dollars??? It should be like this forever!

All I remember is looking in my town in the early 90s for SNES/N64 games, and they were all 90-100 CAD, which is still 70-75 USD. That's not even accounting for inflation lol.

Obviously it sucks to pay more. However if you think the gaming industry like any other industry is going to just make a hardline stand at 60 dollars forever, you're delusional.

Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    I ask the question, when is it going to be suitable to charge 70 dollars anyway? 60 dollar games for nearly 25 years, how can they justify going to 70 dollars??? It should be like this forever!

All I remember is looking in my town in the early 90s for SNES/N64 games, and they were all 90-100 CAD, which is still 70-75 USD. That's not even accounting for inflation lol.

Obviously it sucks to pay more. However if you think the gaming industry like any other industry is going to just make a hardline stand at 60 dollars forever, you're delusional.
    Agree, they should lower the prices, game development is way, way, way cheaper than 20y ago, player base is much bigger. Glad we agree!

10+ Year Old Account
    Man these people would of never survived the 90s, games ranging from 30-50 (SNES) to 75.99 (N64). The price of games has risen what, $10.00 in the last decade or so?

INB4 called corporate shill...I am not, i just understand that corporations are in the business to not make us happy, they are in the business of making money. Our only option if we dont like it is to not buy it, and lets be real, most of us are terminally online video game consumers, so even if you don't buy D4, you will buy any of the other $69.99 games coming out. Why the hell do you think games like FIFA and Madden got away for so long with no generation to generation improvement, people buy the games.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

Damn, I paid 120

The price means nothing by itself. The real question is what are you getting for your 60 or 70 or 100 bucks?

and the answer to that question will be different for each person.

i.e: If you play Diablo 4 for a total of 200 hours played and you paid 60 bucks for it, well that's 30 cents an hour right? was the entertainment and quality worth 30 cents an hour to you? etc etc

Diablo feels like a $30 franchise. I might even consider playing it at that price. But $70 is pretty hilarious.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comm...8_for_one_set/

I'm more blown away that they want to charge $30 for an armor set, rofl. At least in PoE or OW2 the game is F2P so the higher cosmetic costs sorta make sense, but this shit is a full priced AAA game. Definitely more expensive than cosmetics I've seen in other games too, I think BF2042 cosmetics cost at most like $10 for an outfit (1000 coins is around $10 I think) and folks are pointing out CoD doesn't charge anywhere near that much either.

Damn man, Blizzard teams are all out there being told to MAKE MAXIMUM MONEY HOWEVER POSSIBLE at this point. Season Pass still looks like a decent deal for $10 for the "basic paid" version but this is hilarious. Yeah, just don't buy it and all (I sure won't), but there's something to be said about their decisions on monetization.

Every Triple A title in the last couple years has averaged $70. I am not too sure what you're complaining about here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aren't all AAA games for years now around this price range?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree that the price is too high, but I tend to wait until games are on sale (if they’re not Nintendo games) and enjoy it then. I’m still waiting on an Elden Ring sale.
    ”I've walked the realms of the dead. I have seen the infinite dark. Nothing you say. Or do. Could possibly frighten me."-Sylvanas Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    Aren't all AAA games for years now around this price range?
    Yeah pretty much. Playstation has been 70 for a couple years now, I remember several months before it launched their horizon game had a ton of angry folk due to not being able to upgrade for free, huge controversy, though publishers with AAA games for have been 70 now for about 9 months I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    I see the Inflation argument. This affects the development process. But I raise you the following:
    - Distribution Costs are getting lower and lower every year, since less games are distributed physically.
    But licensing and packaging (not retail packaging, artistic and talent media packaging), and regional taxation, have skyrocketed. This is the majority cost to publish any media these days. This is not counting marketing costs- which have also risen tremendously.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    Did you just defend corporate greed. Lamo what is up with the world. No wonder gaming is going to the shitters with people like you playing gatcha games 24/7.
    People have to live in the world. I might not like having to pay $200 to see a movie with a family of four, but that is the cost of going to see a premium movie these days.

Don't confuse saying, "this is what things cost now" with someone enjoying paying more. I think it would be fair to say most people would like to pay a lot less for movies, streaming services, groceries, rent, haircuts, et cetera.

Though as the saying goes, "Shit in one hand and wish in the other. See which fills faster."

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah... $70 is too much.

I can justify the somewhat high cost of WoW. WoW is more expensive. At $15 per month, 5 months is $75. And you have the cost of each expansion on top of that, etc. But I can justify that because I play it every day and I enjoy being on a raid team, etc.

With Diablo, it's different. My plan would be to play through the Campaign with a friend or family member maybe once or twice, and then not play it again for another year or more. It wouldn't be a game that I'm playing every week, or even every month. Like with Diablo 2 and Diablo 3. I have fond memories of both games but the reality is that I played those games less than a dozen times. Compared to WoW where I have like 800-900 Days of played time.

I can think of a LOT of things to spend $70 on compared to a game that I'm going to play maybe once per year.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynical Asshole View Post
    Yet you pay $25 to see a 2 hour movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I might not like having to pay $200 to see a movie with a family of four, but that is the cost of going to see a premium movie these days.
    I'm afraid to ask...

Movie tickets here cost 7 euros per person.

1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    I'm afraid to ask...

America has wild numbers due to Bidenflation.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comm...8_for_one_set/

I'm more blown away that they want to charge $30 for an armor set, rofl. At least in PoE or OW2 the game is F2P so the higher cosmetic costs sorta make sense, but this shit is a full priced AAA game. Definitely more expensive than cosmetics I've seen in other games too, I think BF2042 cosmetics cost at most like $10 for an outfit (1000 coins is around $10 I think) and folks are pointing out CoD doesn't charge anywhere near that much either.

Damn man, Blizzard teams are all out there being told to MAKE MAXIMUM MONEY HOWEVER POSSIBLE at this point. Season Pass still looks like a decent deal for $10 for the "basic paid" version but this is hilarious. Yeah, just don't buy it and all (I sure won't), but there's something to be said about their decisions on monetization.
    This is a lot less defensible than the upped box price to me. I may have dipped into the cash shop had the prices been fair but with taxes it's 40 CND if not more for one suit of pixel armor. Yeah thanks but no thanks when I can buy great indies like Boltgun for less.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

10+ Year Old Account
    I might not like having to pay $200 to see a movie with a family of four, but that is the cost of going to see a premium movie these days.
    Better to spend the money on a home theater IMO. I haven't paid to watch a movie since the 20th century. No ability to pause the movie. No ability to control exactly where you sit unless you get there way early. $20 just for popcorn or a drink. Surrounded by noisy disgusting people on their distracting phones. Other people's annoying kids. No thanks. Movie theaters made sense when watching a movie at home meant watching it on a 20" low-resolution non-widescreen television. In the era of 75"+ HDTVs and 7.1+ surround sound, what's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    I'm afraid to ask...

I live in one of the top 3 American markets.

I bought tickets for Into the Spider-verse today. This doesn't include parking ($40) or snacks. Matinee.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynical Asshole View Post
    America has wild numbers due to Bidenflation.
    Right now, the entire planet is suffering from massive inflation caused by a global pandemic, but yeah let's blame Biden.

But licensing and packaging (not retail packaging, artistic and talent media packaging), and regional taxation, have skyrocketed. This is the majority cost to publish any media these days. This is not counting marketing costs- which have also risen tremendously.
    Sure, but those are fixed costs. You pay them whether you sell 100 or a Million units. If you expect your game to sell well, the marketing price per sold unit drops.