Expansion that Shadow Priest was most OP in PVP?

What expansion was Shadow Priests the most OP in PvP? (For 1v1 / 1v2)
    This would be for on final patch of an expansion with all players in BIS gear

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTang1991 View Post
    What expansion was Shadow Priests the most OP in PvP? (For 1v1 / 1v2)
    This would be for on final patch of an expansion with all players in BIS gear
    Definitely not in TBC.
    In Vanilla, as UD Priest, I couldn’t beat Warlocks (with Felhunter), and Enhancement Shamans. Everything else, could be melted.
    Don’t remember in WotLK.

Quote Originally Posted by Procrustes View Post
    Definitely not in TBC.
    In Vanilla, as UD Priest, I couldn’t beat Warlocks (with Felhunter), and Enhancement Shamans. Everything else, could be melted.
    Don’t remember in WotLK.
    I was wondering if they were better in TBC with mana regen and an execution (shadow word: death) but hard to tell since all the other classes got boosted too

5+ Year Old Account
    I was wondering if they were better in TBC with mana regen and an execution (shadow word: death) but hard to tell since all the other classes got boosted too
    Shadow priest may have been arguably OP in Vanilla (you could melt everything down except warlocks with puppy out, and shammies smartly timing their tremor totem), but it has been less and less of a threat over time... To the point that come Legion, spriest was pretty much a sitting duck against any melee other than Ret, and had to be babysat 24/7.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

I remember them being pretty busted in early Cata... double mind spike > mind blast combo would do 75% of anyone's HP. The drawback was that Mind Spike dispelled your DoTs from the target, but the spell was so overtuned that it didn't really matter.

I don't remember how Spriests were by the end of the patch cycle, although I'm sure they were fine considering Cata was the xpac with an OP legendary caster staff.

Only time I remember being afraid of Spriest was Vanilla.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean their good 1v1 in vanilla, still lose to drawkiting hunters (viper) and ele shamans, fear you would only get if they allow it, silence + tidal + nade is not enough; too much meat there. Its as simple as they outheal, and you dont outheal them.
    Locks you could beat with tailored gear, but normally lose. Then rogues/ mages are mostly gear checking you.
    Warriors you crush with absorbs cucking their rage. That is a big plus I have to say, especially as every warrior brain is going to be charging the "healer".

Another bonus is your nearly fully bis by p5, as naxx doesnt really bring much stam/armor upgrades to you.

But that is also about it.

A premade in vanilla ideally would want a grand total of 0 shadow priests. A disc would always be preferable.
    Main issue is SP doesnt really have alot of burst and expend alot of effort into killing targets; oom faster than anything else.
    Your other casters mages/locks/shamans expend 2-3 gcds and 100-0 targets then move to the next without breaking their stride.

A sp just cant compete there.

Further SP utility (shielding/healing/offensive-defensive dispelling) is also something that would be better done in healing gear.

Granted the ideal premade is not very common, you go with the rankers you have available. So one could definitely land spots as shadow too, but even then should be prepared to role swap and act primarily as a healer with silence. This as it is often the most optimal thing for you to do (best for your group, best for you; important to be a good team player as sp).
    A good sp I think is like 70-80% a healer, and 20-30% a dps.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoD for sure. They were an absolute monster with damage and mobility, specifically the run-and-gun play style of instant Mind Blast and instant Mind Spikes.

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    WoD for sure. They were an absolute monster with damage and mobility, specifically the run-and-gun play style of instant Mind Blast and instant Mind Spikes.
    Is there any class/spec that they would lose to in a 1v1? (On final patch with all players in BIS)

1+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure that would be MoP. I remember shadow being strong as hell against almost everything. Like...you couldn't beat warlocks because warlocks always counter absolutely every other ranged spec.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there any class/spec that they would lose to in a 1v1? (On final patch with all players in BIS)
    I remember bitchslapping shadow in wod as protection warrior, cause back then shield slam was dispelling buffs, so putting up PWS was useless, and also tank specs did very decent damage in pvp, unlike now.
    Last edited by Cynical Asshole; 2023-06-08 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Procrustes View Post
    Definitely not in TBC.
    Don’t remember in WotLK.
    i demolished warlocks as UD priest in vanilla. the secret is pretty much everything warlocks use is shadow based. so you wear a good amount of shadow resistance gear and suddenly you melt their face.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    i demolished warlocks as UD priest in vanilla. the secret is pretty much everything warlocks use is shadow based. so you wear a good amount of shadow resistance gear and suddenly you melt their face.
    How bad is curse of tongues tho? Do locks actually use it in vanilla nowadays?

10+ Year Old Account
    Shadow was OP in Classic because of Mana Burn. That spell alone made us feared in BGs.
    Princesses can kill knights to rescue dragons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Late Cata, early-mid MoP, and most of WoD all come to mind for me. Maybe WoD overall? But I feel like early MoP was their peak.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynical Asshole View Post
    Pretty sure that would be MoP. I remember shadow being strong as hell against almost everything. Like...you couldn't beat warlocks because warlocks always counter absolutely every other ranged spec.

- - - Updated - - -

I remember bitchslapping shadow in wod as protection warrior, cause back then shield slam was dispelling buffs, so putting up PWS was useless, and also tank specs did very decent damage in pvp, unlike now.

So you would say Shadow Priests were more OP in MoP than WoD for 1v1/1v2 PvP?

And how about Vanilla vs WoD? (Since I see lots mention vanilla)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Boricha View Post
    Late Cata, early-mid MoP, and most of WoD all come to mind for me. Maybe WoD overall? But I feel like early MoP was their peak.
    Would you say shadow priests were more OP in 1v1/1v2 PvP in MoP or in vanilla?
    (I am talking about on final patch of an expansion, with all players in full BiS)
    Last edited by MikeTang1991; 2023-07-22 at 01:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would you say shadow priests were more OP in 1v1/1v2 PvP in MoP or in vanilla?
    (I am talking about on final patch of an expansion, with all players in full BiS)
    Oh, if we're only talking about final patch with BiS, then either Cata or Vanilla. Spriest had been nerfed many times by the end of MoP. Vanilla Spriest beats everything but Warlock, which is a hard counter, or a sub rogue with all CDs. Cata Spriest had huge mind spike burst at the end and could probably beat anything, other than a rogue with legendary daggers and vial of shadows.

Quote Originally Posted by Boricha View Post
    Oh, if we're only talking about final patch with BiS, then either Cata or Vanilla. Spriest had been nerfed many times by the end of MoP. Vanilla Spriest beats everything but Warlock, which is a hard counter, or a sub rogue with all CDs. Cata Spriest had huge mind spike burst at the end and could probably beat anything, other than a rogue with legendary daggers and vial of shadows.
    And how do WoD and Vanilla compare?

10+ Year Old Account
    Shadow was pretty insane during WoD thanks to Clarity of Power, causing all their damage to be from their instants. They really couldn't be stopped.