Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Warden Class Concept 2024 (Long)

Warden Class Concept

Part I: Introduction

Just when I think I'm done, I get pulled right back in! I never really thought this class had a chance, but with the divergence of the concept thanks to BFA, HotS, and in Dragonflight, the repeated appearances of Maiev, and the Rogue class really hasn't done a satisfactory job of implementing Warden gameplay. We also seemingly might need an elven-based class in the near future, and this would certainly fit the bill. So with that said, here's a concept I whipped up based largely on the information at hand.

The Warden is a Night Elf hero character that originally came from WC3:TFT. This hero is know for being an agile assassin and jailer, pursuing and eliminating any threats to the Night Elf way of life. The hero uses poison, shadow, and CC to manipulate the battlefield to their advantage, making them a cunning adversary, or a valuable ally.

The Warden hero is a character that has always had a special place in my heart. Ever since I first gave the character a spin in WC3:The Frozen Throne, it has been one of my favorite Warcraft creations. Sporting unique abilities, an incredible design, and a cold ruthless character that was also female, gave the Warden a coolness factor that was only surpassed by the Demon Hunter. However, while the Demon Hunter was eventually given the lore and design space to have its own class, the Warden was stuck in a lore limbo where it's concept was sort of absorbed by Rogues but not really.

While I initially dismissed the Warden as a viable class contender because of the Rogue connection and its rather limited lore expansion beyond Night Elves, with the advent of HotS and some recent developments in WoW lore, I think we finally have a path for playable Wardens if Blizzard so desires. This won't be a very in-depth class concept, but more of a creative exercise of what I think a Warden class could possibly look like from a gameplay perspective.

Part II: General Concept

The Warden would likely be a 3-spec class and highly likely to be elf only, due to the rather reclusive nature of its leaders. I could see them avoid the Demon Hunter trap by giving this concept to all 4 Elven races, and giving the class a third spec. I believe the class should be mail, due to it utilizing agility. It should also include a tank spec in order to give mail a tank spec.

Basic Facts
    Armor: Mail
    Races: Night Elf, Blood Elf, Void Elf, Nightborne
    Weapon Types: Warglaives, 1h sword, 1h axes, 1h maces, Fist Weapons
    Specs: Tank, MDPS, RDPS (possibly support)

Armor

The look of the Warden should definitely be utilized to its fullest, since Maiev is easily one of the most stylish heroes in Warcraft. Because of that, Warden armor should be as close to the source material as possible.

The class' armor sets should look as close to this as possible.

Another armor type could also be this from HotS which would facilitate a more ranged spec concept;

However, there's also this different coloring of the Warden armor which also supports a more astral/magical theme;

Weapons

Warden's Glaive:

The iconic weapon of the Warden, this weapon has been sought after by players for many years. A highly versatile weapon, it can be swung like a sword, or thrown like a boomerang. For the concept, I'll say that they're warglaives in order to give both Demon Hunters and Wardens some more weapon options. I do think an interesting idea would be to make the Warden's glaive a 2h Warglaive, since Wardens have never been shown to Dual Wield. That said, keeping it 1h might be better for the weapon tables. Interestingly, this weapon has also been called a fist weapon on occasion. The nature of the weapon should be that of a slashing weapon as well as a disc-like throwing weapon that has the potential to bounce to other targets.

Part III: Specializations

Core Class Abilites

Shadow Strike: Hurls a poisoned dagger which deals large initial damage, and then deals damage over time. The poisoned unit has its movement rate slowed for a short duration.

Fan of Blades : Deals physical damage to enemies in a crescent area in front of the caster.

Strikethrough: Lunge forward, slashing all enemies in an arc and causing your initial target to bleed for x seconds.

Vault: Leap into the air, becoming immune to all hostile effects for X seconds.

Perilune: Throws a glaive that will circle around the caster for a brief period of time. Enemies caught in the missile's path take Physical damage. (Requires Glaive)

High Kick: Deliver a high kick, dazing your target and knocking them back.

Warden's Prison: Summons a Warden's Prison at the location. If an enemy enters the trap they are imprisoned for X sec or until the trap is dispelled.

Spirit of Vengeance: Send a shadow of the Warden outward that will return to its cast location after 30 yards, dealing X damage to enemies along both paths. Activate again to blink to the location of the shadow.

The following specializations are purely speculative. I went with a mostly shadow concept, but a concept I'd like to see would be a Sun/Moon/Astral based Warden along similar lines as this. In addition, a ranged spec like the Astral/Seeker spec could theoretically be support. I do believe that regardless we're looking at a three spec class. With that said, here are the specializations:

Jailer (Tank)

Stalwart jailers, these Wardens utilize their heavy armor and containment abilities to control and neutralize their enemies. Jailers mainly take after Maiev from Heroes of the Storm, utilizing Umbral Tether and the ability to passively increase their armor, which thanks to Armored Assault, also increases their damage.

Umbral Bind The Warden's next Basic Attack cleaves and applies a tether to enemies hit for X seconds. If a tethered enemy moves too far from the Warden, they are pulled toward her, dealing damage and breaking the tether.

Bonds of Corruption (Talent)(Passive)
    Enemies pulled by Umbral Bind have their Armor reduced by X and are Slowed by X% for X seconds.

Chain Gang (Talent)(Passive)
    Tethering at least 2 enemies with Umbral Bind grants X Armor for X seconds.

Containment Disc Throw a glaive in the target direction. If an enemy is hit, Containment Disc attaches Warden's Chains to the target and bounces to the next nearest target within 8 yards. Can bounce up to 3 times. (30yd range)

Warden's Chains: Chains wrap around a target, slowly pulling it towards the Warden for X seconds. The Warden's armor and speed is increased based on number of targets ensnared for duration.

Chain Pull: targets ensnared by Umbral Bind or Warden Chains are immediately pulled to your location, increasing your threat.

Glaive Storm: The caster hurls several glaives that fan out in a cone, inflicting Physical damage to all in their path.

Bladed Armor: (Talent) (Passive) Increases the damage from Fan of Blades and Glaive Storm and increases your armor by X for X seconds based on X% of the damage done.

Shadow Armor: Blink grants additional armor for 15 seconds. The Warden's Basic Attacks against enemies have a chance to extend this duration.

Armored Assault: (Passive) While the Warden has additional Armor of any kind, all Damage dealt is increased by X%.

Warden's Cage: Summon 8 Warden Avatars as a cage around Maiev. After 0.5 seconds, targets that come in contact with an Avatar consume it and are knocked to the center of the cage. Warden Avatars last X seconds.

Stalker (MDPS)

Stalkers are restless pursuers of their prey, utilizing the darkness around them to overwhelm their victims with diversion and illusion so that they can deliver their final strike. Stalkers are largely based on the Warden hero from WC3.

Morning Star: The Warden spins, slashing targets in a 4yard radius and empowers your next Exenteration for X seconds. If done after Strikethrough, your damage is increased.

Exenteration rip your weapon through the target, inflicting significant Physical damage. The victim will bleed for 8 sec. If performed after Morning Star, the damage from the bleed effect is increased and you may perform a second Exenteration on a second target.

Dark Stalker: Instantly teleports you to the nearest target inflicted with Shadow Strike, extending its duration by 2 seconds. Your next Strikethrough is empowered for 4 seconds.

Persistence: Briefly increases your movement and damage and reduces the movement speed of your target by X%. Enemies killed while this is active have a chance to turn into a Jailed Spirit that will fight for you for 12 seconds.

Shadow Orb Empowers one of your abilities for a limited amount of time.

Shadow Orb: Shadow Strike: Activate to increase the damage and duration of your next Shadow Strike by X%. 2.5 minute cooldown. (passive) Magical damage decreases cooldown.

Shadow Orb: Persistence : Activate to further increase Movement Speed and Attack damage by X% for 8 seconds. 2.5 minute cooldown (passive)Enemies you kill have an increased chance to turn into Jailed Spirits.

Shadow Orb: Vengeance : Activate to reset the cooldown of Spirit of Vengeance and increase its damage by X%. 2.5 minute cooldown. (passive) Spirit of Vengeance's range is increased by 10yds.

Vengeance: Summon an Avatar of Vengeance that will fight for you for 18 seconds. During its duration, enemies you kill will be resurrected as Jailed Spirits that will fight for you for a set amount of time.

+ Unbridled Vengeance: (Talent)(Passive) Various abilities are enhanced by Veneance while it is active.
    -Shadow Strike has 2 charges.
    -Fan of Blades has increased range and damage
    -Spirit of Vengeance cooldown is reduced by 50%

Seeker(RDPS)

Seekers are the eyes and ears of the wardens. Using the stars as not only their guide, but also as their weapon, no enemy can safely hide from their relentless gaze. Seekers are based on Maiev Shadowsong's history as a Priestess of the Moon, and the Moon Warden skin from HotS. Keep in mind that it is entirely possible that a physical ranged spec is doable with the Naisha Momento mechanic and the multiple glaive tossing abilities of WoW Wardens.

Naisha's Momento: Auto attacks now have a 30yd range and have a chance to bounce to 2 other targets with reduced damage each time it bounces.

Astral Brand: Brands the target, making them always visible to the Warden and increasing Arcane and Nature damage dealt to the target for 12 seconds.

Starseer: Sends out a scout that slowly flies in the straight line until the end of the current map. Any enemy target it flies through is branded with Astral Brand for 6 seconds. Activating Starseer again during its flight will cause the starseer to burst into a lunar flare, illuminating a large area for the Warden to see.

Starshot: Tosses your moon blade in a straight line, imbuing it with Astral power and damaging all targets along its path.

Returning Star: (Talent)(Passive) After completing its path, Starshot returns to the caster, dealing damage to all targets between it and the caster.

Control Magic : Allows the Warden to take control of a summoned unit at their level or lower. Resource cost is a % of the total hit points of the target.

Meridian: The Warden steals the target's magic buff for themselves and in exchange gives the target Astral Brand.

Stellar Blades: (Passive) After its initial damage, Fan of Blades does X Astral damage over 6 seconds.

Part IV: Conclusion and Alternatives

Thank you for taking the time to read this thread. I appreciate it. Please leave your comments, and suggestions. I will update this thread over time to better flesh out the concept and add ideas as I come up with them.

Special thanks to Blizzard, Wowhead, and other sources from which I pulled various art and ideas.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2024-01-24 at 03:11 PM.

nice detailed writeup, good work here. I think my biggest overall takeaway is that thematically its very cool and closely matches the 'class fantasy' of what a warden would be. Some of my initial critiques would be that seemingly a large part of their power / utility is in immobilization and crowd control. I feel this might be either way too powerful or just bad, and would be very encounter dependent. For the same reasons I think this class would be a bit of a nightmare in PVP with the amount of movement / control impairing effects.

overall this is still really cool as an initial concept

How are you going to introduce a Warden class after literally EVERY CLASS just got an identical Warden armour set? It seems counter-intuitive. You want your new class to be special and unique, and the Warden clearly stopped being unique one month ago.

Sure, some of their spells might be unique, but nothing about them is unique look-wise anymore.

No, I don't see this happening.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by doledippers View Post
    nice detailed writeup, good work here. I think my biggest overall takeaway is that thematically its very cool and closely matches the 'class fantasy' of what a warden would be. Some of my initial critiques would be that seemingly a large part of their power / utility is in immobilization and crowd control. I feel this might be either way too powerful or just bad, and would be very encounter dependent. For the same reasons I think this class would be a bit of a nightmare in PVP with the amount of movement / control impairing effects.

overall this is still really cool as an initial concept
    The containment aspect is mainly confined to the tank spec (Jailer), with controlling enemies and targets increasing your survivability and damage. In PvP I think Blizzard could reduce those effects if needed.

Thank you for the kind words.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    How are you going to introduce a Warden class after literally EVERY CLASS just got an identical Warden armour set? It seems counter-intuitive. You want your new class to be special and unique, and the Warden clearly stopped being unique one month ago.

Sure, some of their spells might be unique, but nothing about them is unique look-wise anymore.

Thing is, not everyone got the armor set, and Blizzard could rather easily make the Warden class' armor set look much different than what players got. For example;

Plenty of open armor designs for the actual class to take advantage of. In fact, some players were complaining about how lame the armor looked compared to actual warden armor in the game. So there's that.

Also Warlocks got a version of Illidan's armor in MoP, everyone got a Demon Hunter disguise, and Illidan's Blind fold and Warglaives were available to other classes for years and we still got the Demon Hunter class.

This concept is nice, I could get behind a class like that and enjoy it.

I also think it's a viable class conceptually, and that there are some hints it's coming. The Jailer and the recent focus on Night Elves are the two big ones. Wardens are jailers. My predicting credentials: I knew the infamous 4 Avaloren images were fake and posted as such. I think we could see another two spec class however, tank and melee dps. I don't love the ranged spec, and wardens are all about melee, although the Avatar of Vengeance is ranged and that opens up the possibility. It also creates a possibility of tying the AoV into the new expacs, maybe making it void themed. They need Blink Strike (blink to a target) as an ability, that's one you're missing (don't give them Blink like they had in WC3 b/c mages have it).

PS you have blink as a sub ability of one spec, then another spec with an ability that buffs blink?
    Last edited by meroes; 2024-01-22 at 02:31 AM.
    Started in closed beta, probably before your class was even in the game.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    could happen in Midnight a guess. It's a possibility but yeah I dunno...

15+ Year Old Account
    I love the Warden but I'm sorry, I just don't see it happening at this point. Not after everyone just got access to the Burden of Unrelenting Justice transmog set.

I think the best you could hope for is maybe a fourth specialization for... Hunter? I would say Rogue, but if they're ever going to get a fourth spec it'll be a Bard support spec.

Or maybe they can fold some more of its theming into the Subtlety spec?

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

I mean how did we get DH’s and DK’s after we had these.

All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    I love the Warden but I'm sorry, I just don't see it happening at this point. Not after everyone just got access to the Burden of Unrelenting Justice transmog set.

I think the best you could hope for is maybe a fourth specialization for... Hunter? I would say Rogue, but if they're ever going to get a fourth spec it'll be a Bard support spec.

Or maybe they can fold some more of its theming into the Subtlety spec?
    See, I'm taking the exact opposite view; They did the transmog set to make people aware of Wardens and develop demand for the class, because while you can look like a Warden, you still can't play like one.

The exact same thing happened with Demon Hunters. They gave us a DH disguise, they gave Warlocks a Demon Hunter-style Glyph, Demon Hunter-style armor set, and a Demon Hunter-style spec, and all it did was intensify the demand for a Demon Hunter because that stuff reminded people of Demon Hunters yet none of those options allowed people to fully play as one.

You can see this starting to happen now with people getting the Warden set and asking which class plays closest to Warden and no one can offer a solid suggestion because there really isn't an option. It's honestly kind of brilliant on Blizzard's part.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by meroes View Post
    I also think it's a viable class conceptually, and that there are some hints it's coming. The Jailer and the recent focus on Night Elves are the two big ones. Wardens are jailers. My predicting credentials: I knew the infamous 4 Avaloren images were fake and posted as such. I think we could see another two spec class however, tank and melee dps. I don't love the ranged spec, and wardens are all about melee, although the Avatar of Vengeance is ranged and that opens up the possibility. It also creates a possibility of tying the AoV into the new expacs, maybe making it void themed. They need Blink Strike (blink to a target) as an ability, that's one you're missing (don't give them Blink like they had in WC3 b/c mages have it).

WoW Wardens had an ability called Strikethrough;

Strikethrough
    20 yd range
    0.85 sec cast
    Teleports to a location. Inflicts Physical damage to all enemies within 20 yards of the impact.
    It's pretty much Blink.

Also I REALLY hope it's not a 2-spec class.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2024-01-22 at 03:23 AM.

That makes no sense.

How are you gonna add a Demon Hunter class if another class can already transform into a demon? No, I don't see this happening.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Just when I think I'm done, I get pulled right back in!
    Tell me about it.

Always liked the Frozen Throne Warden, visually and kit-wise. The element that I was most taken with was the Avatar of Vengeance, and how they were vulnerable while the spirits they conjured were invincible. Seemed very neat. I would occasionally pilfer some of their concepts for hypothetical rogue specs, since they also borrowed Warden-related skills and had a bit of a 'martial shadow magic' thing going.

The notion of a Sun-themed Warden is also pretty interesting - I'm imagining influence from the blood elves as they adopt certain Warden practices. Doesn't really seem to come across in their abilities though. Maybe a Night/Moon/Stars flavor would be more fitting, especially if as 'jailers' they're meant to keep their wards locked away in utter darkness forever, kind of deal. Or maybe 'Eclipse' to preserve the sun theme, and how they're essentially blocking it out for their prisoners.

Theres zero chance we get a elf-only class again

Quote Originally Posted by Nork View Post
    That makes no sense.

How are you gonna add a Demon Hunter class if another class can already transform into a demon? No, I don't see this happening.
    By removing the ability to transform into a Demon from the other class?

So you are saying that they should remove the Warden set?
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ereb View Post
    Theres zero chance we get a elf-only class again
    We’re getting an elf-centric expansion right in the window where you r expect new classes, and we have a very popular class concept that is also elf-based, fits that elf-centered expansion, and being hyped up by Blizzard. Because of that, we can’t overlook the possibility.

- - - Updated - - -

By removing the ability to transform into a Demon from the other class?

So you are saying that they should remove the Warden set?
    You’re confusing abilities with customization options. Again, the exact same thing that is happening now with Wardens happened with Demon Hunters before Legion. Heck, Demon Hunters seemed even less likely since Warlocks had their key ability AND multiple classes could look like demon hunters.

Anytime you have a very popular class concept from WC3 pop up and start getting shine from Blizzard, you’re looking at possible class inclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Anytime you have a very popular class concept from WC3 pop up and start getting shine from Blizzard, you’re looking at possible class inclusion.
    That doesn't narrow it down. Like, at all. Pretty much every class concept from WC3 has been in the spotlight at least once since Vanilla.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    I mean, it could work if we have Wardens involved in the story again in a more primary position.
    Since the Evoker added a healer, having a new class add a tank can balance the numbers.

Also, how is a single mog armor set invalidating an entire class?
    That's just a weird take.
    I mean, there was mog with skulls on it in vanilla/BC and they still made a DK.
    There was a headband and other "clothing" type mog before MoP and we got a Monk.
    There were fist weapons that worked like glaives, then they gave us DH.
    Y'all are wild.
    If it fits the story, they will do whatever, regardless of whatever transmog was available before.

10+ Year Old Account
    That doesn't narrow it down. Like, at all. Pretty much every class concept from WC3 has been in the spotlight at least once since Vanilla.
    And when that spotlight is shone on that class concept and there isn't a playable alternative, that's when you end up with a new class.

Again, the big thing happening now are all these people with Warden transmog and realizing that no class plays like a Warden to a satisfying degree.

It truly reminds me of this;

Because I was saying the exact same thing; "There's no way we're getting a Demon Hunter class when Warlocks have Metamorphosis AND armor that makes them look like Demon Hunters!"

Then Legion dropped and I had egg on my face.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    Tell me about it.
    It truly is amazing, because pretty much every class concept I do I think it's my last one, because there's simply nothing left as a possible class IMO, then Blizzard starts slowly and deliberately pushing out lore concepts you thought were dead ends. This is one of those of those concepts, since I really thought Maiev was going to go the way of Sylvanas and her class was going to just be an appendage of an existing class. However, we're now starting to see Blizzard both give Wardens attention, and also expand their lore at the end of Dragonflight. With those revelations, I'm here again with a class concept I thought I was never going to do.

Always liked the Frozen Throne Warden, visually and kit-wise. The element that I was most taken with was the Avatar of Vengeance, and how they were vulnerable while the spirits they conjured were invincible. Seemed very neat. I would occasionally pilfer some of their concepts for hypothetical rogue specs, since they also borrowed Warden-related skills and had a bit of a 'martial shadow magic' thing going.[/quote]

Yeah, that's why I love this image;

It really captures the darkness alongside the stone-cold determination of the Warden concept. Also Maiev is a very snappy dresser, so that helps as well. Which leads me back to my reasons for making this thread; The Warden is really the only class concept that comes close to the Demon Hunter in terms of coolness factor. The rivalry between Maiev and Illidan is pretty legendary, and I think that's something that Demon Hunter players would really enjoy in an RP sense.

The notion of a Sun-themed Warden is also pretty interesting - I'm imagining influence from the blood elves as they adopt certain Warden practices. Doesn't really seem to come across in their abilities though. Maybe a Night/Moon/Stars flavor would be more fitting, especially if as 'jailers' they're meant to keep their wards locked away in utter darkness forever, kind of deal. Or maybe 'Eclipse' to preserve the sun theme, and how they're essentially blocking it out for their prisoners.
    Yeah, the "sun" aspect was rather hard to pin down, given that the Warden's abilities were almost entirely shadow and moon based. I think there some logic to the notion that if Wardens spread to other elven races in lore, Blood Elves could add that "sun" aspect to Wardens. I had considered going that route in this concept, but didn't really want to dive that deeply, but given the Warden armor transmog being "sun and moon" that does make me suspect that Blood Elves are going to get a Warden variant.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2024-01-22 at 03:45 PM.

Are Wardens exclusively female? Is this a lore thing or a lack of lore?
    "The customer is always right" is a nice way of saying "I will put up with your bullshit as long as you pay me"

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    Are Wardens exclusively female? Is this a lore thing or a lack of lore?
    They were up till this patch/the last one with the night elf heritage. It’s now open to Men with 1 in training.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.