Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Time to play the tried and true game for old farts;

Tetris

You're never too old to play games;

https://youtube.com/shorts/cSOLYXF0t...YekQcJpp-DeNoV

(These forums need to be updated to allow embedding Shorts tbh...)
    Last edited by Daedius; 2024-03-19 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sezerek View Post
    So you are asking yourself that question for roughly 2 decades now?
    League of Legends was released 2009. So it is one and a half decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Just story wise? sure, gameplay wise. No. ff14 is more similar to wow than say ff1-12(-11) gameplay wise
    Gameplay wise XIV is more similar to a typical JRPG than WoW. You go to X, you kill monster you read dialogue and watch cutscenes.

The campaign plays like the linear FF games do, X, XIII etc.

It's not really until end game loop or optional content that XIV starts to become like WoW, and that is optional. A ton of people just play XIV as a single player JRPG experience and don't stay subbed.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2024-03-19 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    You ask if you're getting too old for gaming but only mentioning one genre of game.

Are there other game genres you've enjoyed? Maybe something to branch into to try out? JRPGs? Survival Crafting? Soulslikes? Racing Games?
    First post nailed it.

Play better games OP.

OP sounds very PC centric, try expanding your scope of content and try something you don't think you will like. Go play Inscryption or something. You'll find your game.

Does one outgrow beauty, art, fun, amusement, satisfaction, and science? Perhaps, but show me a soul that's tired of gaming and I'll show you a soul that's tired of life. Get back on that horse and try try again.

Edit: Since I'd be unfairly standing outside the argument by not making a recommendation of my own here, try this:

https://www.metacritic.com/game/balatro/

If you like PC, get a steamdeck, play from a couch, get comfortable(it helps once you get older). Tackle the problem as if it wasn't unsolvable and you end up solving it. Look at what your old games provided you. Define it. Then find your game.

Quit quitting but also never quit quitting. Keep playing the game once you get bored. Sometimes this may be necessary to find the best game. Play a minimum time each day to get back into it. It will eventually drag you back in. Gaming is funny like that. When gaming is at its best, it is magical. When it hits, you know it.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2024-03-19 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorofMankind View Post
    Every isometric rpg's nowadays has features that either are deal breakers for me or get boring after a while.
    The story of Pillars of Eternity I and II is somewhat depressing (which I do not like); These games either have acceptable or boring companions.
    Tyranny, the idea for the story is kinda fun, despite only a few party members being interesting.
    Torment, Tides of Numenera, couldn't get into it because of the gameplay.
    Divinity original Sin 1 and 2, couldn't get in because of the forced turn base gameplay. The same goes for Baldur Gate 3. Battles take too long for my tastes.
    Despite Divinity having good writing and companions, turn-based combat is a deal breaker for me.
    Pathfinder Kingmaker, the beginning is good but after a while, I decided I was not into that kingdom management.
    The characters are kinda good.
    Wrath of the Righteous, the game would be interesting if they shortened the beginning of it.
    If the game would start from Act 2 or Act 3 it would be awesome since the most unique part of this game happens when you hit your third mythic rank.
    The gameplay and unique systems are good, but companions are 100% worse than in the original.

When I compared them to old-school isometric crpgs either companion sucks or gameplay sucks.
    That is why I wonder if I am too old because I cannot get into modern crpgs.

From my point of view in the past everything was good, even if I took a game like Dragon Age 2 which was bashed when it was released.
    The action-packed gameplay which was forced into this title sucked for some but others liked it. We have awesome characters like Varic, Fenris or Isabela. Not to mention the storytelling is quite good. I like that is told from the point of view of Varric.

Kotor II, despite the feeling at first glance, is kinda depressing at first, It is quite especially when you get into the story of Revan. Not to mention this game has one of the best stories in the entire genre. Companion conversations are awesome, especially with Kreia.

Kotor I is a standard SW movie experience aka New Hope, the story is not anything special but the companions' conversations are superb. Arguing with Bastilla, Canderous Ordo war stories, Jolee Bindo Jedi stories.

When it comes to vanilla BG 1/BG 2 I have nostalgia for these games since I played them as a child. In recent years I have modded these games and I have to say it unlocks their true potential.
    I was not a fan of NWN 1 when it came out but now with tons of custom modules, this game is awesome, especially the 18+ ones.

That is why I ask i question like this because in the past I could get and play every crpg that was released and now I simply cannot.
    Sometimes I ask myself if is it something not right with me or the developers.
    I have a similar thing with movies, I can spend watching movies from 80's,90's, and 2000's but modern movies kinda suck for me.
    Sorry for the long monolog.
    Thanks for the feedback in advance,
    Cheers,
    Looks like your stuck playing single player RPG's. I am 36 almost 37 been gaming my whole life, I have been playing WOW and other MMO's since basically for 20 years at this point, but also love survival games and good Looter shooters. But the common theme of all games I play is that they are all Online multiplayer games, and I only really play if im on some sort of voice chat playing them. Maybe play some multi player games online with friends, I have had some of the most fun playing games like Among Us on Discord while drinking and shooting the shit with people from my wow guild. Or Poker games with the same people while on Discord.

The last video game I played that wasn't WoW was Skyrim.

I have no game consoles and WoW is the only game installed on my laptop. Perfection. I have no clue what games are currently popular lol. Don't care.

When Elder Scrolls 6 comes out I will binge it then go back to WoW.
    Last edited by Al Gorefiend; 2024-03-19 at 10:51 PM.

I'd post this on the RPGCodex. It's a forum whose tastes very much align with yours and a lot of people there have gone through the same thing and can recommend games for you to try.

That being said, it sounds like you're going through the typical depression of every gamer in their 30s. There's a retro phase, a "mods fix it" phase, then everything starts feeling repetitive as you see the cracks or nuts & bolts in what you once cherished. We also live in an era where every game has RPG mechanics, which can contribute to this feeling of saturation.

I can only echo what some of the other posters here have said and suggest that you branch out to other genres, or try games which are niche and original even among RPGs, like Unicorn Overlord, Tactics Ogre or Jagged Alliance.

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorofMankind View Post
    Every isometric rpg's nowadays has features that either are deal breakers for me or get boring after a while.
    The story of Pillars of Eternity I and II is somewhat depressing (which I do not like); These games either have acceptable or boring companions.
    Well, you've managed to completely discredit yourself in two sentences already. Shamefully, you even go on to hold Divinity up as having good writing.

In conclusion, you have poor taste. Maybe work on that instead of blaming the medium.

Hades, Hollow Knight, Stardew Valley, Subnautica, Inscryption, Outer Wilds. There are some incredible games out there that as an all-around gamer type that isn’t into shooters I’d recommend as just great experiences.

I’m the kind of gamer that when I am feeling burned out gaming in general, I pick something up that is universally acclaimed that I ended up missing for one reason or another, and I’ve yet to be let down.

Quick answer: No, you're not too old.

One thing to remember is that tastes have changed over time, not only in games/movies but yours (and mine) as well.

As others have said, I would suggest that maybe it's time to look at other genres of games. Look at games made by Quantic Dream. They made Detroit: Become Human. Loved it. It's a game on the PS4, it seems more like a visual novel.

Maybe story driven games are the cat's meow for you.