Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Bring back rep from dungeons. (hear me out)

    Ok so, some time ago the decisions was made to remove reputation grinding from dungeons.

    I think this was a mistake and was only done for time gating purposes.

    So... My suggestion here would be to give us 5 ways to earn rep, but SOFT cap us at a certain point.

    Allow us to do the following for rep

    Delves,
    Dungeons,
    World Quests, - Might have to change how these work for it to be viable, maybe each time you complete one a new one appears.
    Mob Grinding,
    Raiding

    Each day you can gain a maximum amount of reputation, lets say 5000 (probably much less but as an example). You can pick to represent a faction, you can change who you represent any time by visiting the quartermaster of the faction (or just bring back tabards for this).

    Once you hit the reputation cap, you can keep grinding via your preferred method but all rep gains will be reduced by 95% meaning the most you're going to get is like five rep for a boss and maybe 1 for every couple of normal mobs and 2 or 3 for an elite pack (from like a dungeon).

    This allows 3 things

    You gain rep via the method of your own choosing
    You can choose to grind it out or just do your daily
    You passively gain rep just playing regardless of the activity

  2. #2
    What would this achive? Your solution is still time gated? Isn't that the actual issue you have or do you just not like the other methods of gaining reputation?

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilookfly View Post
    What would this achive? Your solution is still time gated? Isn't that the actual issue you have or do you just not like the other methods of gaining reputation?
    I never said it wasn't time gated? I don't see how you would attribute that to my post... idgaf if it's time gated if that's what blizzard wants to do, whatever. But the point of this isn't to stop time gating it's to allow people to gain rep the way they want to gain rep...

    My main still hasn't even reached max renown with any of the original dragonflight factions... the only reason I reached 20 with dream wardens is because I felt like it would save me money in the long run.

    But why is this the case...? Because the content that's available for rep grinding for me personally, isn't fun or really very engaging. Dungeons on the other hand for me, are fun, I suspect delves will be fun for me too. That's the way I would like to be able to get reputation.

    Again I don't know why you thought this had anything to do with time gating, perhaps your projecting things you don't like about the system on to my idea.. But I think time gating is actually fine, but I would like to see them add a cumulative cap if they were to implement something like my idea so that if you fall behind you can catch up.

  4. #4
    I liked reputation from dungeons. Especially in cataclysm. While the tabard system surely could be solved differently.

  5. #5
    Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    8,617
    I think it should definitely be added, at the very least to retrospective dungeons. so if a new player joins in TWW and wants to go farm some old reps from MoP to DF, they can run dungeons. Hell, they can use the TBC method where normal dungeons stop giving rep at a point and you have to do heroic. Then do the same sort of thing for TWW but have the rep stop after you hit the max renown

  6. #6
    Reputation from tabard in dungeons was one of the best systems this game ever had.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    Reputation from tabard in dungeons was one of the best systems this game ever had.
    I don't particularly agree with this however I will agree that it was a good way to sell the idea that you are representing someon

  8. #8
    They could improve the follower-dungeon system with that. Like, if you want to gain rep with faction X when doing a dungeon, then your followers would all be members of said faction.
    MMO Champs :

  9. #9
    Huge yes. Bringing back reputation gain from tabards or dungeons itself would be awesome.
    Like someone said above, one of the best systems in game.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynexia View Post
    Ok so, some time ago the decisions was made to remove reputation grinding from dungeons.

    I think this was a mistake and was only done for time gating purposes.

    So... My suggestion here would be to give us 5 ways to earn rep, but SOFT cap us at a certain point.

    Allow us to do the following for rep

    Delves,
    Dungeons,
    World Quests, - Might have to change how these work for it to be viable, maybe each time you complete one a new one appears.
    Mob Grinding,
    Raiding

    Each day you can gain a maximum amount of reputation, lets say 5000 (probably much less but as an example). You can pick to represent a faction, you can change who you represent any time by visiting the quartermaster of the faction (or just bring back tabards for this).

    Once you hit the reputation cap, you can keep grinding via your preferred method but all rep gains will be reduced by 95% meaning the most you're going to get is like five rep for a boss and maybe 1 for every couple of normal mobs and 2 or 3 for an elite pack (from like a dungeon).

    This allows 3 things

    You gain rep via the method of your own choosing
    You can choose to grind it out or just do your daily
    You passively gain rep just playing regardless of the activity
    As long as any means of flight isn't locked away for 9 months/gated behind rep I don't care how rep is acquired. I only have issues with older reps, IE: Shado-Pan Assault coming from a raid once a week.

  11. #11
    People should do the relevant content to be able to grind for the related rewards.

    This brainless dungeon farming crap to get stuff from world content should never come back.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    Reputation from tabard in dungeons was one of the best systems this game ever had.
    That's why it got removed. Players were having too much fun.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynexia View Post
    I never said it wasn't time gated? I don't see how you would attribute that to my post... idgaf if it's time gated if that's what blizzard wants to do, whatever. But the point of this isn't to stop time gating it's to allow people to gain rep the way they want to gain rep...

    My main still hasn't even reached max renown with any of the original dragonflight factions... the only reason I reached 20 with dream wardens is because I felt like it would save me money in the long run.

    But why is this the case...? Because the content that's available for rep grinding for me personally, isn't fun or really very engaging. Dungeons on the other hand for me, are fun, I suspect delves will be fun for me too. That's the way I would like to be able to get reputation.

    Again I don't know why you thought this had anything to do with time gating, perhaps your projecting things you don't like about the system on to my idea.. But I think time gating is actually fine, but I would like to see them add a cumulative cap if they were to implement something like my idea so that if you fall behind you can catch up.
    ersonally, I'm all for it. I mean, who wouldn't want to enjoy the grind? And yeah, adding a catch-up mechanism sounds like a solid plan.

  14. #14
    Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,477
    I agree dungeon and raids should offer rep from every mob and boss killed and upon completion.

    If they want to time gate it as others have talked about it should be that they calculate the max rep from full clears (or just set an arbitrary amount of rep from any source weekly) and cap it at that amount each week but it builds so your alts can go in and grind it up to the current level of cap not toil away for 40 weeks trying to catch up

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Luthorite View Post
    That's why it got removed. Players were having too much fun.
    pretty much. They dont want players to have ANY agency over how they play the game or earn rewards

  15. #15
    I understand why they got rid of it and wouldn't expect it to come back. But it was definitely better for how I played, basically never had to touch civilian content.
    “Every great cause begins as a movement, becomes a business, and eventually degenerates into a racket.” -Eric Hoffer

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwert View Post
    People should do the relevant content to be able to grind for the related rewards.

    This brainless dungeon farming crap to get stuff from world content should never come back.
    Yeah we should always feel like we have to do content we don't want to!!! ABSOLUTELY!

    yikes man. literally no.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Luthorite View Post
    That's why it got removed. Players were having too much fun.
    It was removed because it was not time gated. Blizzard wants to control every reward schedule, and limit the maximum of possible gains completely. That was the reason why they moved reputations to daily quests with caps.

    The good thing about tabards was you could literally do all the rep grinds in a holiday session. Blizzard did not want you to, they want you to play for weeks. And months. Not for burst periods.

    Whenever they were asked to remove time gated rep they replaced it by another time gated system. And even renamed reputations to renown, to hide their shadyness.

    Nowadays devs never really change anything. They relabel. They reimplement. See titanforging and corruption. See Azerite and Torghasts fairy dust. See reputation and renown.

    Well, and if i am right, see scenarios and delves.

    I really laughed hard when blizzard announced reputations would be account wide in the next expac. Simply as i knew they moved reputation funcitonality to renown. And in the next expac they very likely move gear acquisition to delves for casual gamers.

    The devs play 3d chess with their players. And most do not even recognize it. If you know how rotten their minds are, it is not easy to predict what one of their announcements really means, and that you need to know it is a deal with the devil, no matter what they change.

    Take every announcement with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by schmonz; 2024-03-29 at 03:44 PM.

  18. #18
    I could probably see gaining rep through some quests in a specific dungeon or dungeons that have to do with that certain faction, but after that I think in an MMO rep needs to be faction specific where you are truly helping that faction in some way in the area they are located and trying to better themselves in. Whether that be through world pvp oriented quests in that zone (obviously NPC faction enemies could also be available to help with any sort of faction imbalances), normal quests in the area that award faction rep, and possibly even crafting to help with the effort. No disrespect whatsoever to your idea or the reimplementation of rep grinding in dungeons, but it all seems a little cheap anymore. An MMO should be engaging and meaningful. I think we’ve gotten too used to “autopilot” and you can see how that’s spread into the “go go gadget” gameplay we’ve had in dungeons ever since Wrath. We’ve had the dungeon grinds. It’s time to look past that and try upgrading our mindset on what’s possible and achievable in an ever evolving world like world of Warcraft.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Luthorite View Post
    That's why it got removed. Players were having too much fun.
    It's the same systems we already have and always had except this time you're making a bar turn green and seeing numbers pop up. Wow.

    Grind content get reward, who cares what artificial way they choose to spin it.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by schmonz View Post
    I really laughed hard when blizzard announced reputations would be account wide in the next expac. Simply as i knew they moved reputation funcitonality to renown.
    "all of our reputations as well as RENOWN in the war within will be shared across your entire account"

    https://youtu.be/tMDQzaRsVqc?t=2168

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •