Guild Wars 3 confirmed to be in development by NCsoft shareholder report

Link to article

Q. NC West has been running a deficit for 8 years, and I don’t understand why the person in charge remains the same.

Acting Chairman Park Byeong-moo = NC West’s deficit issue is not something that should be looked at solely based on numbers. Personally, as I have been moving NCSoft for 17 years, I have seen NCWest also undergo various reorganization efforts. Originally, NC had six studios in the United States, and the work was done to organize the six and integrate them into one ArenaNet. Although additional costs were incurred in the process, it ultimately resulted in a competitive ArenaNet. Rather than looking at the deficit as a number, NC contributed to strengthening competitiveness in the United States.

ArenaNet has a meaningful IP called ‘Guild Wars’, and after Guild Wars 2, they are currently working on ‘Guild Wars 3’. Looking at this process, we have considerable competitiveness. Although it is not completely profitable, I believe that it has increased its competitiveness.
    Given how Anet's other projects died stillborn and how GW2 has been languishing for the past five years, I'm doubtful this will turn out good.

i'm all for it. GW2 is starting to show it's age and there's not much left that i want to do in game.. i can only play the same game for so long before it starts to get stale even with new content releases.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

That’s actually pretty sick. I know they’ll do an amazing job.

I really doubt anyone's ability to launch a truly successful MMO at this point
    “Every great cause begins as a movement, becomes a business, and eventually degenerates into a racket.” -Eric Hoffer

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope it takes after GW1 more than GW2.

They both had good ideas, but I could never really get into either of them.

Hopefully the next one is good.

OH YEAH!
    I saw a video about this today.

Is exciting news

From what i've read its more like gathering ideas currently. Could very well share the fate of the lol mmo in a few years down the road.

I personally think guild wars has huge potential. They nailed mounts and most classes are really fun and unique. But it always struggled to offer something competetive and to be an mmo. Maybe they can turn it into an rpg with some online elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolicious View Post
    From what i've read its more like gathering ideas currently. Could very well share the fate of the lol mmo in a few years down the road.

I personally think guild wars has huge potential. They nailed mounts and most classes are really fun and unique. But it always struggled to offer something competetive and to be an mmo. Maybe they can turn it into an rpg with some online elements.
    It's been hard finding translations that are accurate but it seems they have the concept and it's been greenlit to move ahead into preproduction, at least. Beyond that I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Link to article

Given how Anet's other projects died stillborn and how GW2 has been languishing for the past five years, I'm doubtful this will turn out good.
    GW2 is the best MMO currently on the market. People not playing it because of dumb stigmas against the game doesn't mean it's bad or "languishing" as you put it.

Quote Originally Posted by korijenkins View Post
    GW2 is the best MMO currently on the market. People not playing it because of dumb stigmas against the game doesn't mean it's bad or "languishing" as you put it.
    The quality of the game has objectively dropped over the last five years. We went from the season 3 through PoF through season 4 period where we were getting a new map every two months, and raids and fractals and new SPvP maps, to the current state today where we get four unpolished and halfbaked maps in EoD followed by a long content drought and then fractions of a single map handed out over several months, and then another content drought and then an expansion that had a mere two maps, and then again fractions of a single map over several months. And very little else coming out during this time period. No new elite specs, mounts, raids, SPvP maps, etc. And WvW has been a joke for years. Not to mention the writing, with IBS and EoD and now SotO. Goodness gracious, they turned demons into oppressed and misunderstood creatures.

10+ Year Old Account
    GW2 is NCSoft only success in the West. The CEO is trying to the idea out into the wild, a casual pitch to Arenanet. Even if Arenanet started tomorrow it would easily 5+ years before anything gets presented to the public. You would know because Arenanet would be hiring more than a handful of people people at a time for "unannounced" projects, which end up being their expansions.

Its also April Fools time.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2024-03-29 at 01:15 AM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Arenanets official statement

"As an active game studio we are always doing internal exploratory work for possible future titles we’d want to create, however we have nothing to confirm right now. The team’s focus is on Guild Wars 2 development, including the game’s next expansion, which we’re excited to talk about soon."
    https://www.mmorpg.com/news/guild-wa...ted-2000130976

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Heres to hoping they go with a better combat system. It feels like its made for button mashers on console. Everything else like mounts and current end game is great though.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I can only imagine the collective, simultaneous, "What the fuck?" from the Anet executive group chat rofl.

Seriously, fuckin CEO fucked off and sent this dude to the fuckin wolves and he said all kinds of dumb shit.

Quote Originally Posted by korijenkins View Post
    Idk about that one. I've played it a few times over the years and it's at best a distraction
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

GW3's a tricky idea for me.
    On the one hand the story has been kind of underwhelming for a while, it feels like the game probably should have 'ended' at the end of EOD.
    On the other hand, I don't think splitting the playerbase is a winning strategy at this point.

If they make a GW3, I would hope it to be more of a glow-up for the game we already have, maybe with a new story etc. NGL my MMO goblin brain wants to keep all its shinies rather than need to re-collect everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Itori View Post
    Heres to hoping they go with a better combat system. It feels like its made for button mashers on console. Everything else like mounts and current end game is great though.
    Honestly I kinda wish they'd release it on consoles, it has the right atmosphere. It's just awkward for classes like Weaver or Engineer who have fifty million buttons.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.