Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

[TWW spoiler] Dalaran, Khadgar and Silvermoon

So looks like Dalaran might be going down in TWW, and Khadgar being lost. With Midnight developing Silvermoon and all the elf races coming together, my suspicion is Quel'thalas and Silvermoon are going to be the new global centre for magic.

All the elf groups will also be involved some how, this includes the night elven Highborne and Nightborne magical groups, neither of which seem to be playing much of a role in Amirdrassil - which to me indicates they will play a role alongside the void elves, high elves and blood elves, and presumably the human and draenei mages will be based there also ..

Silvermoon might become the Shattrath/Dalaran of 12.0 and be a home for high, void, blood, night, nightborne elves. - of the magical persuasion or rather into and centred around magic.
    Last edited by Mace; 2024-04-18 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    So looks like DAlaran might be going down in TWW, and Khadgar being lost. With Midnight developing Silvermoon and all the elf races coming togehter, my suspicion is Quel'thalas and SIlvermoon are going to be the new global centre for magic.

All the elf groups will also be involved some how, this includies the night elven highborne and nightborne magical groups, neither of which seem to be playing much of a role in AMirdrassil - which to me indicates they will play a role alongside the void elves, high elves and blood elves, and presumably the human and draenei mages will be based there also ..

Silvermoon might become the Shattrath/Dalaran of 12.0 and be a home for high, void, blood, night, nightborne elves. - of the magical persuasion.
    It'd be awesome to see Silvermoon properly restored, developed and modernised.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

It'd be sad to loose the dalaran aesthetic forever, it's such a core part of wow mage's identity and symbolism (the eye, purple...). I'd be ok if they make a dalaran district in quel'thalas maintaining its aesthetic, but I'd prefer if dalaran is not fully destroyed or they remake it for TLT or another future expansion.

Also killing khadgar is sad, man. Who will be the guardian now?

Quote Originally Posted by allegrian View Post
    It'd be sad to loose the dalaran aesthetic forever, it's such a core part of wow mage's identity and symbolism (the eye, purple...). I'd be ok if they make a dalaran district in quel'thalas maintaining its aesthetic, but I'd prefer if dalaran is not fully destroyed or they remake it for TLT or another future expansion.

Well, whos the next best mage we know of? Jaina? I guess it could be another of the Seven, but I doubt it.
    "May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce"

"May the Goddess smile upon you."

"Hero", is what they've all been saying. This world, it isn't worth the saving."

He went SOMEWHERE after Legion, he's comin' back baby

Now that Turalyon is back, it'd be pretty sad if Khadgar died and only Alleria showed up to recover his body.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mauderkin View Post

He went SOMEWHERE after Legion, he's comin' back baby
    Medivh is an important figure in the backstory but barely has an onscreen presence in this franchise. It'd be odd for him to suddenly become a major character in the current story. Blizzard would have to explain why Medivh is more worthy of our attention given how he has been absent for the past 20 years and a dozen apocalypses, versus Jaina who has been present and helping throughout.

Khadgar was one of the few cool characters not taken from W3, it's a waste to kill him but I guess they succeeded in the shock, sad loss value with a city and character that's both important lorewise and beloved by players from both factions.

But if they are ok with killing him, please just kill Sylvannas in midnight.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Now that Turalyon is back, it'd be pretty sad if Khadgar died and only Alleria showed up to recover his body.

- - - Updated - - -

Medivh is an important figure in the backstory but barely has an onscreen presence in this franchise. It'd be odd for him to suddenly become a major character in the current story. Blizzard would have to explain why Medivh is more worthy of our attention given how he has been absent for the past 20 years and a dozen apocalypses, versus Jaina who has been present and helping throughout.
    We're in a weird spot where the 2 most obvious replacements (Jaina and Kalec) got a new important title in recent expansions that distanced them from dalaran. Using a blood elf or nightborne as a replacement would make little sense as well.

So... Millhouse Manastorm? lol

We're in a weird spot where the 2 most obvious replacements (Jaina and Kalec) got a new important title in recent expansions that distanced them from dalaran. Using a blood elf or nightborne as a replacement would make little sense as well.

So... Millhouse Manastorm? lol
    The only other mages I can think of are Aethas and Rommath, but they have had little screentime, only being introduced in TBC, showing up in maybe one or two Belf short stories, and showing up in the MoP patches. I guess it would be nice to see these original WoW characters get the spotlight, but they'd probably need an animated short or a prerendered cutscene to promote them.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    The only other mages I can think of are Aethas and Rommath, but they have had little screentime, only being introduced in TBC, showing up in maybe one or two Belf short stories, and showing up in the MoP patches. I guess it would be nice to see these original WoW characters get the spotlight, but they'd probably need an animated short or a prerendered cutscene to promote them.

But they are not related enough to dalaran and wow mage lore, and like nightborne they have their own magic city to care about. Dalaran was the main place/fantasy for human, gnome, high elves and even blue dragon mages. It's sad to just destroy it completely. But it was destroyed before, it may come back. The kirin tor is a cool concept of faction neutral mages making dalaran kind of the Hogwarts of WoW.

Something something Magister Umbric is encrypted right now, and is spotted running around during questing after Dalaran's crash in the preview videos from content creators.
    He's a mage.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwert View Post
    Something something Magister Umbric is encrypted right now, and is spotted running around during questing after Dalaran's crash in the preview videos from content creators.
    He's a mage.
    Oh shit lol

Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    It'd be awesome to see Silvermoon properly restored, developed and modernised.
    Yes, definitely.. wanted that for like forever Quel'thalas, Azuremyst and Feralas have been the only zones not updated since their release

What's even better is that by the time of release, they'd have been working on it for 4 years - this means hopefully, that it's going to be a master piece.

Did you not see how they updated night elf architecture in Legion? Suramar is Darnassus updated - it and Zin'Azshari in warbringers are the updated versions of what pre-sundering night elf civilization looks like. Darnassus is the old model.. even the ruins got updated, and so did the villages and tree homes you see in Val'Sharah.

Similar update happened to Shattrath and Karabor in WoD , when compared to their TBC versions.

So, you can now imagine that the update for Silvermoon is going to be worked on, and it will have been developed for nearly 4 years by the time of release. Awesome..

I partially think this is why they wanted it to be a place for all elves, because they don't want to keep doing separate everything for everyone, and while I'd definitely have preferred everyone get their home as incredible as this, I don't think it's happening.

Furthermore, I think if they just made it horde, alliance elves would riot, because they took Suramar away and still have void elves and night elves without a capital city. Sure night elves have a new tree home zone, and void elves have void powered planet (i.e. rock) as a zone, but neither have capital cities. My suspicious is that Silvermoon would be the centre and homme for civilization minded elves where the elves work together.

I do not think all the elf factions will necessary be "united" but it would be a place all the elf races come together.. I would personally prefer Silvermoon (with its very night elven name) to be the place for the Thalassian elves unity and Suramar will continue one for the kaldorei night group - but with Dalaran down, .. they're going to make it the world's magical centre.

This is a huge boost for the blood elf crowd and the Thalassian elf crowd i.e. high elves and void elves too.. They would likely keep Suramar a horde thing only. now, if we are going to have Night elves and Nightborne have a capital in Silvermoon too and the human wizards of Dalaran.

- - - Updated - - -

It will probably be back. I mean this is like the 2nd time it's crashed , the destruction in Wc3 looked like it was terrible, and they magically reversed it.. but probbably not till after TWW.

With Darnassus, Theramaore and Dalaran lost there is no city for the alliance magic wielding raes. Some may think it's fitting that it would be Silvermoon now.. /shrug

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    So looks like DAlaran might be going down in TWW, and Khadgar being lost. With Midnight developing Silvermoon and all the elf races coming togehter, my suspicion is Quel'thalas and SIlvermoon are going to be the new global centre for magic.

All the elf groups will also be involved some how, this includies the night elven highborne and nightborne magical groups, neither of which seem to be playing much of a role in AMirdrassil - which to me indicates they will play a role alongside the void elves, high elves and blood elves, and presumably the human and draenei mages will be based there also ..

Silvermoon might become the Shattrath/Dalaran of 12.0 and be a home for high, void, blood, night, nightborne elves. - of the magical persuasion.
    or my be telogrus

I'd be ok if they make a dalaran district in quel'thalas maintaining its aesthetic, but I'd prefer if dalaran is not fully destroyed or they remake it for TLT or another future expansion.

Perhaps we'll see a rebuilt version of Dalaran back in its original, terrestrial place, updated to actually feel City-sized.

Khadgar has been my favourite character in WoW for a few expansions now. Yet from what we can gleam this actually sounds like a good thing. Blizzard is trying to setup a new generation of characters, which has been handled pretty poorly so far. Given everything that we have heard, it sounds like Khadgar is going to be dying in a moment that highlights most of his characters virtues and skills in a serious way.
    That's a hell of a (potential) step up from Genn being called out for being an absentee father who ignored Tess out of sexism and mourning, only to turn around, hand the Kingdom to Tess then peace out to go ignore her and go to find her brothers tomb
    One day I look forward to seeing full grown adults realize that their averse reactions to levity and positive/contemplative expressions of emotion are a cry for therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by Faerillis View Post
    Perhaps we'll see a rebuilt version of Dalaran back in its original, terrestrial place, updated to actually feel City-sized.

Khadgar has been my favourite character in WoW for a few expansions now. Yet from what we can gleam this actually sounds like a good thing. Blizzard is trying to setup a new generation of characters, which has been handled pretty poorly so far. Given everything that we have heard, it sounds like Khadgar is going to be dying in a moment that highlights most of his characters virtues and skills in a serious way.
    That's a hell of a (potential) step up from Genn being called out for being an absentee father who ignored Tess out of sexism and mourning, only to turn around, hand the Kingdom to Tess then peace out to go ignore her and go to find her brothers tomb
    Well Genn's arc was pretty much done after BFA-SL, and was mostly taken over by Tyrande's revenge arc as Teldrassil felt more brutal and recent than cata's gilneas stuff. They just didn't include Gilneas in the mix even if it made sense lorewise for the forsaken to just hand it, or for it to be taken during BFA as explained in follower missions. Reclamation of gilneas was just a late epilogue needed for him/worgen and he didn't really need to die there as it would have been anticlimatic.

Same goes with NE leaders, and Blizzard clearly intended for malfurion to die in the Ysera switcheroo but they backpedalled as it was lame as well as being another disaster for the already suffering Night elves. But yeah DF lacked any shock moment really, they should have let nozdormu become murozond and replace him with crhomie or something.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Khadgar was one of the few cool characters not taken from W3, it's a waste to kill him but I guess they succeeded in the shock, sad loss value with a city and character that's both important lorewise and beloved by players from both factions.

But if they are ok with killing him, please just kill Sylvannas in midnight.
    is he actually confirmed dead though? I doubt that something like that would be discoverable in a datamine. Blizzard would encrypt the shit outta that one.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    is he actually confirmed dead though? I doubt that something like that would be discoverable in a datamine. Blizzard would encrypt the shit outta that one.
    Pretty much confirmed at this point with what was shown and the devs comments about loss and making the enemy feel threatening.

It could be a fake out and reveal he's alive later tho.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Pretty much confirmed at this point with what was shown and the devs comments about loss and making the enemy feel threatening.

Until we find a corpse, I think it's probably best to consider Khadgar MIA and not definitively deceased. Just my $0.02, but given Khadgar's track record I'd wager reports of his demise are premature, to say the least.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account

I saw that he was missing, that doesn't mean dead. I just don't think they would reveal something so big so flippantly

I saw that he was missing, that doesn't mean dead. I just don't think they would reveal something so big so flippantly
    It's the same situation we had with Varian with Legion. I understand why they would kill him. As much as he's a nice character, he's powerful, loved by both horde and alliance players and is known by most current wow players. If they killed turalyion or alleria and an alliance city it would just feel like an alliance loss, so they kill the fav neutral guy alongside the fav neutral city (although it's quite human/alliance leaning).

The next character's death that could work as shock value for everyone and would make sense given his age and completed story arc is... Thrall.