Disc/Holy Priest needs 3v3 advice

I am going to try to get serious about 3v3 arena and need some advice. Right now, I have around 470 rsilience, 10.5k health and 1500 +heal in my PvP gear. I am doing arena with a pretty well geared Hunter, and one more (Lock if he starts playing again).

Right now, I basically tank/kite the opposing dps ... throwing out Shields, Renews and PoMs on myself and my teammates ... but I know I should be doing more.

What 3v3 advice can you give me? Is there an arena add-on that tells me what everyone on the opposing team is casting? What is my major role (heal, dispel, etc.).

Re: Disc/Holy Priest needs 3v3 advice

Disspells? Mana Burns? Depends always how weak their dps is and how good you guys control the arena.

Well, I defensively dispel a lot. I am sure I do not offensively dispel nearly as much as I should. I mana burn if I see a Pally or Shaman healing if I have time between kiting. I find myself running 90% of the time because of warriors, rogues and pets.

I am sure I am not doing things right ...

dispel offensively as well, make good use of your fear as CC if your teammates are getting close to a kill. burn when you can, altho its not so important.

Although I am not near 2k rating (1860 highest atm) I must agree with Nikzu on the fact that it depends on your team mates what you can do. In an ideal world you would be 'free' to do all the stuff you really wanted and in which you are useful:

- Manaburn their healer or dps (hunter, mage pet, mage)
    - Offensively dispell important buffs (bloodlust, major hots, shields, mages in general, Bubbles)
    - Defensively dispell important debuffs (i.e not ALL lock dots -> prom rocks, roots, sheep etc)
    - Coordinate defensive CC's (when do you need a stunlock, sheep, hamstring to survive)
    - Help with CC when being asked (do not waste fear when someone else CC's)

However, in a world in which you got a rogue sticking on you or a warrior (or both) most of the things above that are not instant wont happen unless you have learned to fake casts, have a good communication (!) with your dps/cc and know how to position yourself from the beginning of the fight to the end. Most comes from experience really.

some addons you should have:

- unitframes for party that show party targetting
    - unitframes for opposite team that get filled by targetting them once or hovering, i suggest whole team has same to use sync option.

for arena frames get proximo or even better arena unit frames as they have castbars in them so you can see what people are casting.

[edit]
    Oh, and get a spell alert mod (witch hunt or the one i cannot remember name of at the moment) to see when important buffs/spells are being cast.

why offence dispell when the team has arcane s., it should be negotiable in the end, since u only need to dispell iceb. + bubble
    burn, how much time u need to burn a healer ? with lock+hunter+disc it should take 5 sec till the opponent healer is oom, as long as he didnt kite like a god. maybe ure bloodelfs aswell and use ure racials too. imo uve got a quite strange burning team.
    3* mana burn
    2* disspell

imo your major role should be burn+heal+defence disspell and offence only if its needed

addons:
    witch hunt (ace)
    spellAlert

i am about 1860 now with a hunter+lock, i have about 1500 healing 12k hp and mana, the resilence what gives the set and boots bracers...

some tips :

get away from shamys and priests if there are melee(rogue/warr/shamy) if the purge the bubble, pom, renews you will die trying to cast heals

kill pets fast if you can drink you can take it forever

if their healer is retarded drain him, or mc him to help focus

have an eye on the pally if you dispell their bubble you friends can silence him

pain suppresion before bubble helps to dont get pushback

if there is a mage stay near the hunter novas will break poly

drink every time you can

Quote Originally Posted by Gunja
    why offence dispell when the team has arcane s., it should be negotiable in the end, since u only need to dispell iceb. + bubble
    burn, how much time u need to burn a healer ? with lock+hunter+disc it should take 5 sec till the opponent healer is oom, as long as he didnt kite like a god. maybe ure bloodelfs aswell and use ure racials too. imo uve got a quite strange burning team.
    3* mana burn
    2* disspell

imo your major role should be burn+heal+defence disspell and offence only if its needed

addons:
    witch hunt (ace)
    spellAlert
    Sorry but if you run against anything with a druid and do not offensively dispell all 2+ lifeblooms (final tick only goes of when you dispell the last one) and rejuv etc you will not kill anything, well at least not without a big chunk of luck. AS has CD and dispels 1 buff, wont cut it.

that is just one example of a really needed offensive dispell when focusing a target.

i think stay alive is a bit more important then offence disspell if i have already a disspeller?
    he´s the target in 90% of the games

ure e.g. druid ? u take the druid as first target when uve got a lock at your team and a hunter with fear ?

I dont understand he is the main target in 90% of the games in the first place:

- all(well, a LOT of) teams with a rogue will try to blow up/shut down the lock, in higher regions it's RMP / RLockD / WRD you face.
    - double melee teams might sometimes indeed go for priest but this means there are 2 good CC classes left 'free'. at least one melee should be easily shut down by fear and (frost around pillar or normal freeze) trap; a 470 resi priest can tank one melee for quite some time.

and no, of course dont take a druid as first target. Take the massive amount of hots he puts on the kill target as priority, i think you misunderstood me there.

In my rank range (1500 - 1650) I find I have either a melee, a pet, or both on me 95% of the time disrupting my spells. I can buy myself some free time with a fear ... but most of the time something is beating on me.

I appreciate the advice guys ... I have downloaded a couple of the suggested mods (only used proximo up to now).

Ok, so it is time to have your dps'ers either help you or make sure they kill something on their own with 'minimum' support from your side. I think first option will help you to easily get higher rating, the setup in itself can be strong while the second option will not be the way to go as other teams DO cooperate in offense and in defense

- warlock can (chain)fear rogue (until D/R get too big) of you and put COex on it, this will buy you time to get away (dont trinket crippling though!)
    - hunter can wingclip people/pets(?) beating on you or scatter shot/trap to buy you time to reposition
    - pets in general are a nice target to kill when the situation is suitable (their main DPS is CC'ed for example or their healer is running/hiding)

If the Lock doesn't start playing again, would a second Hunter be OK?

Quote Originally Posted by caspern
    Sorry but if you run against anything with a druid and do not offensively dispell all 2+ lifeblooms (final tick only goes of when you dispell the last one) and rejuv etc you will not kill anything, well at least not without a big chunk of luck. AS has CD and dispels 1 buff, wont cut it.

that is just one example of a really needed offensive dispell when focusing a target.
    or how I play with my team, against druid healers. dps' 1 target, let him get hotted up, swap target, let the hots be happy mana used for druid, try to fear off abit of the 2 dps and try to catch some mana burns on druid. this way the druid is using so much mana, just need to make sure he doesnt drink and doesnt get 5k mana back from innervate and you should be fine to outlast a druid, ofcourse with a hunter, lock, priest combo you are very busy as the priest, offensive dispeling, mana burning, healing.. just need to see situations and abuse it that a druid hots a target fully up (dispel is still alot of mana even when improved) i only use dispel to get freedom off, innervate and most of the time fears.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    If the Lock doesn't start playing again, would a second Hunter be OK?
    well.. imo try to find another lock.

_BUT_ dont mind to try it and see if you can play well with it, i mean i hitted 2013 with a ret paladin in 2v2 some days ago. in my honestly opinion every combo can work.. just need to push it!

Well preferably not:

- Viper sting doesnt stack afaik
    - Traps share same D/R on both hunters
    - No additional buffs

It is almost never a good idea to have 2 of the same class in a competitive 3v3. The second hunter will in this case 'just' be another dps class and will not add too much.

However, 2 healer teams with a good hunter are becoming increasingly popular, maybe that is something to consider?

Quote Originally Posted by caspern
    Well preferably not:

- Viper sting doesnt stack afaik
    - Traps share same D/R on both hunters
    - No additional buffs

It is almost never a good idea to have 2 of the same class in a competitive 3v3. The second hunter will in this case 'just' be another dps class and will not add too much.

However, 2 healer teams with a good hunter are becoming increasingly popular, maybe that is something to consider?
    i agree it doesn't stack, or at least i think, if someone could confirm that. and if they don't stack nothing is stopping you from draining two different targets or running them sequentially while one is on cd (lasts 8 seconds, 15 second cd).

its true traps share DR, but if its something like frost trap that lasts the full 30 seconds and doesn't seem to be affected by DR, you can drop one on your healer and one on the hunter, or basically make most of the map a CC. or you can double trap healers while killing or draining a 3rd.

granted there are no additional buffs, but you could run one bm one mm. that doesn't work so much since people will focus the bm hunter and with proximo its easy to tell. i could see it being viable but not an overly high combo.

IMO you should stay kind of hidden on the side of a pillar, and if they are coming for you hunter should leave AoE slow trap down, and with entrapment you can easily pillar dance and every time your not under attack you should be mana burning the healer, and as soon as something gets back on you warlock should be fearing, and if you can do that and keep yourself healed you guys shall do great