Death Runes and Regular Runes

I've been browsing the forums and I have read that weapons get 2 of each rune, 2x frost, 2x blood, 2x Unholy. I've also heard people say that you can change this around, to do 3x 2x 1x or even 6x if you wanted to....so which is it? Can I change them or are they set to the 2x 2x 2x.

The other question that I am really curious about is death runes. When abilities such as Death Rune Mastery or the blood of the north converts your blood rune into a death rune, are they available for use immediately? or do you still have to wait for the rune cooldown to finish? Also is the death rune smart? meaning it only uses it if needed? For example, I have 1x Blood, 1x Unholy and 1x Death Rune, I use Plague strike, which is costs 1 blood and 1 unholy. So does it use those runes since they are available? Or does it use the death rune and 1 of the others?

Re: Death Runes and Regular Runes

Quote Originally Posted by elidion
    I've been browsing the forums and I have read that weapons get 2 of each rune, 2x frost, 2x blood, 2x Unholy. I've also heard people say that you can change this around, to do 3x 2x 1x or even 6x if you wanted to....so which is it? Can I change them or are they set to the 2x 2x 2x.

The other question that I am really curious about is death runes. When abilities such as Death Rune Mastery or the blood of the north converts your blood rune into a death rune, are they available for use immediately? or do you still have to wait for the rune cooldown to finish? Also is the death rune smart? meaning it only uses it if needed? For example, I have 1x Blood, 1x Unholy and 1x Death Rune, I use Plague strike, which is costs 1 blood and 1 unholy. So does it use those runes since they are available? Or does it use the death rune and 1 of the others?

1. they are currently set to 2/2/2 and have no intention on changing it.

2. Deathrunes dont reset cooldowns as far as i have heard or seen.

3. As far as smart usage i dont know honestly. i would hope it would use existing matching runes first before the wildcard. but then again i cant confirm.

1. Yes, they are permanently 2/2/2. they had planned to allow us to change them around, but decided instead to balance all abilities based on a 2/2/2 setup.

2. The way i understand the tooltip of the deathrune talents, the rune is converted to a death rune once it activates, as in, when the cooldown is over, and it can be used again, so yes, they are available for immediate use

3. I have no idea if they are "smart" as such, would take some time to test, or a blue answer to that, but both will have to wait until release, as it might change in beta.

1. Like already said, permanently 2/2/2.
    2. Looking at DK videos it seems that the rune turns into a death rune instantly after it has been used BUT the 10 second charging timer still affects it, meaning that it wont be usable before 10 seconds have passed, but you will know that you are getting a death rune soon. Also I do not know whether different rune masteries affect the charging timer for death runes. Say, one of your frost runes gets replaced by a death rune and frost rune mastery procs right after that. Is the death rune regen speed also affected since it's in a frost slot?
    3. I believe I read some beta tester saying that the death rune is used only if there is no rune of the required color available.