Thread: lvl 70 builds

lvl 70 builds

Anyone see any lvl 70 build worth a crap for PvE.

I'm 40/0/21 now which is going bye bye and no matter how I spec, I don't see anything that is gonna cut it, that is unless Arc spells will be insanely higer dmg and more mana efficient (heh worthless 4pc T6 then).

Fire looks identical to what we have now with the addition of the crappy gimmick, hot streak and burnout, which I don't really see to be much of a boost at all.

As an officer and a raid leader, looking at the numbers rogs are getting from mutilate come 3.0 and what we have coming, I'll probably be sitting myself in favor of more rogs in the raid.

Heh, looking at the talents now compared to TBC release talents, it looks like we are in worse shape than before.....jaw dropping indeed.

Re: lvl 70 builds

Well one nice thing is that gold farmers finally get their spec, fire aoe.

I'm glad they added this, farmers have been overlooked for so long and have been needing a buff since release.

Grats guys.

/sarcasm off

Quote Originally Posted by Chinaski
    Anyone see any lvl 70 build worth a crap for PvE.

I'm 40/0/21 now which is going bye bye and no matter how I spec, I don't see anything that is gonna cut it, that is unless Arc spells will be insanely higer dmg and more mana efficient (heh worthless 4pc T6 then).

Fire looks identical to what we have now with the addition of the crappy gimmick, hot streak and burnout, which I don't really see to be much of a boost at all.

As an officer and a raid leader, looking at the numbers rogs are getting from mutilate come 3.0 and what we have coming, I'll probably be sitting myself in favor of more rogs in the raid.

Heh, looking at the talents now compared to TBC release talents, it looks like we are in worse shape than before.....jaw dropping indeed.
    Wow. You're pessimistic. With no need to be either. I'm not a fire mage but fire mages get there fair share of boosts. Living Bomb works out as a 10% dps increase. Not gimmicky at all. Instant pyroblasts will also be a decent dps increase. Fire mages will be seeing greater dps. Their problem now is managing their threat and mana.

I'm an arcane mage and I'm looking at something like this for PvE:

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?mage...52323112510321

I've kept a couple of pvp talents in there but that's just my personal preference.

What we'll be doing as an arcane mage:

Spamming arcane blast. Though the t5 bonus will only be 5% now the extra damage is baked into the fully stacked spell itself since it does 75% more damage. When we're on the move we're throwing arcane barrage off to cover our movement with decent damage. We might not go into frost any more but there's much less need to now. Supposedly the new arcane blast is much more sustainable as a main nuke.

The talents:

Why are you complaining? 6% haste as standard. Around 100 resistance as standard will help us to take a lot less magical damage/effects and we have -6% on damage in general. If we talent into it invis will be an instant cast threat dump with a 2 minute cooldown. As an arcane mage we will never over-agro. We can go all out all the time. The same can't be said for fire mages. The spirit bonus is currently a little be lacklustre for us, though raid buffed I hit 700 spirit so it amounts to an extra 70 spirit still.

But yeah, as arcane our problem won't be doing more damage. We'll do more damage. And we'll go oom less. Our problem will be not letting the debuff drop off given it's hideous duration. And having to find another 7% hit of course.

Correction we won't have aggro problems because we are doing squat for damage.

...jaw dropping damage that is...

As an officer and raid leader, glad im not in your guild.
    First off AB spamming is highest dps output atm, other specs / arcaneweaving is about same dps (arcane weaving actually less)
    Second, dps pass has NOT been done yet. So its not very accurate to say omg we doing less dmg than class Y or class Z.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinaski
    Correction we won't have aggro problems because we are doing squat for damage.

...jaw dropping damage that is...
    2200+ DPS compared to 1400+ DPS in a non-raid environment, a.k.a. self buffed., that's a big change from the PTR to live.

Fire in its current PTR state is not viable at 70., but arcane and frost are ridiculous. I will go frost out of preference, and if the adjustments mages are guaranteed to have incoming do not change much in the DPS aspect, then mages will indeed, be putting out that 'jaw dropping damage' we were always promised.

I appreciate you guys optimism but having played a mage since release I am somewhat jaded and don't put much faith in the same people who brought us the -10% damage coefficient for talent reduced cast times.

I'm in the beta and specced fire: 0/50/11
    It was pretty good fun doing the first 3 entry-level WotLK instances. I didn't need to use a mana potion at all (eventhough I have haste gemmed and use a haste trinket). I only used the mana gem. I was also able to pull aggro off the pally tank... those new threat warnings are easy to miss. I'd prefer to see a threat list so that I can gradually ramp-down in dmg done.
    Note: I wanted to go 11/50/0 but had to go 0/50/11 for elemental precision; in 10 man's it is not guaranteed to have a shadow priest for "Misery".

some thought I had...

Arc:
    There was a time when Arcane looked amazing... but then Blizz moved Spell Power to the bottom of the tree. Additionally, that 3 sec debuff on Arc. Blast is just retarded; Bosses typically require a lot of moving around.

Fire:
    would be nice if spirit could be talented to give crit. Would be nice to get some haste talents into the fire tree too.
    I like Hot Streak; 2 crits in a row is a good number. 3 would be too high.

Frost:
    Brain freeze is lame - why would I want to shoot an unspecced firebolt??? WTF! the name of the talent has "FREEZE" in it - shoot a mana-free, instant frostbolt already that is guaranteed to crit.
    The Water Elemental must inherit the hit rating of the mage that summoned it.
    Elemental precision should be moved back to Tier 1; let players pick from 4 talents in Frost Tier 1 so that way PvPers won't bitch about the "useless talent".

EDIT:
    clarified... I'm in the beta, not PTR. Got it mixed up.

Quote Originally Posted by PvE_Mage
    I'm in the PTR and specced fire: 0/50/11
    It was pretty good fun. I didn't need to use a mana potion at all (eventhough I have haste gemmed and use a haste trinket). I only used the mana gem. I was also able to pull aggro off the pally tank... those new threat warnings are easy to miss. I'd prefer to see a threat list so that I can gradually ramp-down in dmg done.

some thought I had...

Arc:
    There was a time when Arcane looked amazing... but then Blizz moved Spell Power to the bottom of the tree. Additionally, that 3 sec debuff on Arc. Blast is just retarded; Bosses typically require a lot of moving around.

Fire:
    would be nice if spirit could be talented to give crit. Would be nice to get some haste talents into the fire tree too.
    I like Hot Streak; 2 crits in a row is a good number. 3 would be too high.

Frost:
    Brain freeze is lame - why would I want to shoot an unspecced firebolt??? WTF! the name of the talent has "FREEZE" in it - shoot a mana-free, instant frostbolt already that is guaranteed to crit.
    The Water Elemental must inherit the hit rating of the mage that summoned it.
    Elemental precision should be moved back to Tier 1; let players pick from 4 talents in Frost Tier 1 so that way PvPers won't bitch about the "useless talent".
    Really? I had basically the same exact spec, and I couldn't conserve mana for the life of me, and also did inferior DPS when compared to frost.

I have about 12K mana raid buffed and also use the mage trinket.
    I think it really depends how good the rest of the raid is.... if everyone does weak DPS in comparison to you then you end up using more mana since the boss lives longer.

Quote Originally Posted by PvE_Mage
    I have about 12K mana raid buffed and also use the mage trinket.
    I think it really depends how good the rest of the raid is.... if everyone does weak DPS in comparison to you then you end up using more mana since the boss lives longer.
    Well these were solo, self-buffed attempts. While raid-buffs will offset rapid mana usage to an extent, to have to rely on them is relatively harsh.

I will not always have a pocket shadow priest.

0/53/8 is the way to go at L70 for raidcontent... and don't say it's not a buff .. the fact that your crits now do 15% more damage and you get instant pyroblasts weaved in between should be enough. On top of that we've been given a new mana dump for when nuking hard becomes very important, Living Bomb, an added 200 DPS if you can keep it up while doing your normal rotation.

Arcane seemed flawed in my opinion, the tree lacks direction and is at best a worn down version of what frost and fire used to be in TBC. You only got AB as a main nuke and besides that you rely on getting the occasional arcane flurry proc. Too much movement or spellpushbacks on a fight and arcane's DPS gets hit badly.

Frost is equal to fire, only with a tad less DPS, the playstyle is pretty much the same, just with a few more and faster casts.

Quote Originally Posted by Vk
    0/53/8 is the way to go at L70 for raidcontent... and don't say it's not a buff .. the fact that your crits now do 15% more damage and you get instant pyroblasts weaved in between should be enough. On top of that we've been given a new mana dump for when nuking hard becomes very important, Living Bomb, an added 200 DPS if you can keep it up while doing your normal rotation.

Arcane seemed flawed in my opinion, the tree lacks direction and is at best a worn down version of what frost and fire used to be in TBC. You only got AB as a main nuke and besides that you rely on getting the occasional arcane flurry proc. Too much movement or spellpushbacks on a fight and arcane's DPS gets hit badly.

Frost is equal to fire, only with a tad less DPS, the playstyle is pretty much the same, just with a few more and faster casts.
    Yeah, just that frost is twice as mana efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Baever
    Yeah, just that frost is twice as mana efficient.
    Mana efficiency often means very little to mages though in a 25man raidsetting.
    Besides having tested fire with a retridin and spriest in the raid, i didn't run into more mana problems than I do with fire now on live.

Fire simply has the option now to burn down even more mana to get that extra ~200 DPS with living bomb (this spell still needs to be fixed to explode on the target instead of yourself tho). While frost often ends up with too much mana left after a boss died. And .. simply put, having mana left after a boss dies = not-used damage output = bad.

Btw.. with "tad less DPS than fire" i actually meant like ~400 DPS (or 15%) less.

Quote Originally Posted by Vk
    Btw.. with "tad less DPS than fire" i actually meant like ~400 DPS (or 15%) less.
    How many elementals are you factoring in there? With the talents and glyph, you can have them out 50% of the time, and an extra one whenever with Cold Snap. That's a LOT of extra dps.

We did test it with a BT run on the PTR.

The frostmages both had considerable better gear than the fire mages, but they still fell behind with as said before a rough 400 DPS.
    (Fire mages didn't have any considerable problems with mana.) You must remember than in alot of current raidcontent that there is alot of movement and raiddamage, which your elemental has no defense against. I think that on alot of fights you should be happy if you can keep it up longer than 10 seconds before it dies.