Page 1 of 2
LastLast

BC gear after 3.0

I've tried to find an answer to this. I'm either blind or there isn't one.
    Given the fact that druids will no longer need to stack def rating/resilience after 3.0 with the SoF talent to 6%, will stats on BC weapons (IE Earthwarden)
    change? It has defense rating on it, but this is clearly a dedicated feral druid weapon, and if def rating is virtually useless for druids now, will it be modified?
    There are of course other items similar but this was the easiest one to name because almost every feral is familiar with EW.

If anyone can point me in the right direction to find an answer to my question that would be great. Thanks guys.

Re: BC gear after 3.0

Wowhead doesn't list Earthwarden as being modified, and defense still give dodge and chances to be missed.

Weapons won't change, just get a feral weapon without def rating.
    It's just for one month anyway.
    On that note, I'm a solid advocate of changing "Slice and Dice" to "Clonk and Bonk" when maces are equipped.

I was just curious. Am I really going to have to re-gem/change out all my gear that has resil/def on it? And if so, for a month? Sucks. Thanks for the input guys.

Quote Originally Posted by vayron
    I was just curious. Am I really going to have to re-gem/change out all my gear that has resil/def on it? And if so, for a month? Sucks. Thanks for the input guys.
    Who gems for resi and defense?
    I fix things, sometimes, when they let me out of my cage.
    @Rawrbmb Watch me stream stuff on Twitch

Koumaru

Slikk's cape and the Exalted Karazhan ring will still be worth wearing for their other stats (armor, stamina, and on the cape - dodge) despite the less-than-optimal returns from the defense rating.

Earthwarden is the only feral weapon with defense rating, so it really is a bad example. The Wildfury Greatstaff and the Pillar of Trashtanking have no defense rating.

If you're at a gear level where you have the Shadowmoon Insignia, you'll probably no longer use it. I'm just making an uncalculated guess that you'll get the greatest benefit from the Badge of Tenacity and the Commendation of Kael'thas now.

As for resilience: if you're wearing any S3 (and I think S4?), right now on the PTR it has somehow retained its bonus armor. Unless this bonus armor is an oversight that is remedied before 3.0.2 goes live, even with the now wasted budget on resilience, this stuff is probably as good as or better than T6.

If you've been gemming for defense (ugg), then just re-gem. Agility, Agi/Sta, and Agi/Hit should be the best options for red, blue, and yellow sockets (if and when colors matter - mainly for your meta activation).

I'm not gemming for defense. Was just kinda using it as an example of the point I was trying to make. I don't have any PvP gear as part of my tanking set. Almost all the latest badge gear and the T4 helm. Everything is gemmed agi/stam, but I know some of my gear does have def rating or resilience on it. If this has lost its value, would I be better to hunt for different gear with more approppriate stats considering the changes made to our talents.

I'm curious to see how my current gear will change come 3.0

Koumaru

You'll have to be more specific then. What specific items do you have with defense or resilience?

I'm going to guess that your head enchant is the CoT glyph (def/dodge). Keep it.

Karazhan ring? Slikk's Cloak of Placation? They have defense rating, but they still rock even now that you don't need it. Loads of armor (still our best stat, now more than ever), stamina, and some dodge on the cloak.

Specifically, excluding those items named in the above posts, are Earthwarden which I can likely replace with Stranglestaff, or just keep EW, as well as Necklace of the Juggernaut. Virtually none of my other gear has def rating on it. Guess it may not be so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormrage
    Who gems for resi and defense?
    all ferals in end content need to as gear lacks it.

Seems to me you have 2 options... dont take the talents in the beginning and keep your gear the way it is or respec with the new talents gem a crap load more stam (as if you dont have too much already) and have a completely ridiculous amount of stam (I know you do already) or gem for more str/agi for more threat (though i know droods dont have this prob either)... Regardless after 3.0 just... get in, sit down, stfu, and hold on cause gruuls pugs are gonne be bt/sw pugs.

If you didnt have time to do it right the first time, where are you going to find time to do it a second?

Quote Originally Posted by svettleif
    Not really, you can get crit immune with one peice of pvp gear, and enchants, 9/10 times its better to gem other stats.
    I fix things, sometimes, when they let me out of my cage.
    @Rawrbmb Watch me stream stuff on Twitch

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by svettleif
    Not that much that any sane feral would gem up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormrage
    Not really, you can get crit immune with one peice of pvp gear, and enchants, 9/10 times its better to gem other stats.
    T6 with a few def gems/enchant over pvp gear anyday.

How much you enchant for defence depends quite largely on if you have a shadowmoon insignia!

Personally I just use ironskins with some defence enchants.

I think quite a lot of rogue gear is going to become very nice tank gear, I almost just kept the duplicitous guise for the hit than turning it in for fury hunter but this was quite some time ago and i couldnt really wait 2 months for it to be usable.

You shouldn't be gemming, ever, for defense. Gem for stam/resil if anything, since you get more crit immunity per point of resil. Though this is all moot when you can just spec 3/3 SoTF and reach the crit immune cap. S4 is close to or better than T6, considering the hit/crit/armor pen, so don't listen to folks telling you otherwise. (NOT considering set bonuses, obviously.)

Koumaru

Once you get to the point that you're gemming for crit chance reduction, defense rating beats resilience point for point, hands down.

But you shouldn't have to gem for either.

Fortunately in another couple of weeks, it'll all be a moot point.

Quote Originally Posted by Koumaru
    Once you get to the point that you're gemming for crit chance reduction, defense rating beats resilience point for point, hands down.

But you shouldn't have to gem for either.

Fortunately in another couple of weeks, it'll all be a moot point.
    No you are not correct. Resilience reduces crit more per point than defense does.

You're just as screwed with your gear/enchants/gemming as Enhancement Shaman are with the changes.

All I can say is "Good Luck!" (and you will hate the costs associated with re-gearing, re-gemming as well.) Sorry.

Koumaru

Quote Originally Posted by amorob
    No you are not correct. Resilience reduces crit more per point than defense does.
    I never said it didn't. I just said that it's better point-for-point than Resilience until you become crit immune (because of the avoidance that comes with it). There's a difference.

Resilience is absolute crap overall for tanking. It's just easy to stack up gobs of it with a couple pieces of PvP gear.