Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Feral Arena Spec

I kind of like your spec actually. Increasing crit damage from 200% to 210% wouldn't really be that great in PvP since crits are negated a lot anyway. However, I'd probably take the two points out of primal precision and finish off Rend and Tear and Improved Mangle.

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?drui...00000000000000

Then again, I'd have to actually play some arenas at 80 (with a real team, skirmishes don't help too much) to see just how much AoE comes into play. In BC it makes sense to get this talent because it's a flat resist chance (meaning less novas or AE breaking you out of stealth in bad situations), but maybe not anymore.

If you got Predatory Instincts, however, you could always take the 3 points for Imp. Mangle out of Naturalist, or skip out on Imp. Mangle altogether, although it seems to me that spec'ing Imp. Mangle and mangle spamming for Roar CPs would be the best tactic, then do the normal Mangle->Rake->Shred to 5 and then FB or Rip depending on the target (You'd get CPs a lot faster for Roar with an ability that only costs 34 energy as opposed to 42 energy, and then you don't have to worry about it for a full 34 seconds). Just my thoughts.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Ghash
    I kind of like your spec actually. Increasing crit damage from 200% to 210% wouldn't really be that great in PvP since crits are negated a lot anyway. However, I'd probably take the two points out of primal precision and finish off Rend and Tear and Improved Mangle.
    it's 220%. we're a crit intensive class, so u'll feel it, it's a must.

Quote Originally Posted by ovideozn
    it's 220%. we're a crit intensive class, so u'll feel it, it's a must.
    Didn't realize it was multiplicative; that is pretty big then. In that case I'd probably take the points for Imp. Mangle out of Naturalist then. Faster CPs for lower cost > 6% damage increase in my opinion.

Until they fix our mana issue, pvp sucks bad as one poster has stated that we oom so fast, as in 6 shifts fast. We have no true CC in forms except Infectious Wounds (it's good) and maim. Kitty charge is only daze and if you want to bash, you have to shift. If you want to cyclone, you have to shift, as well as entangle roots. OH, we have nature's grasp and immune to fear every 3 minutes...pfft. The point is, we do have the good CC's, but most require to shift and if we want to have survivability, we have to shift to bear, pffft. There goes our dps, but actually maul glyph is actually nice in this case (2 targets) and bear's dps is actually good, but not great...get frensy glyph as it helps.

They have to fix our mana issues, however it can be, it needs to be fixed as we are back to the issue of ferals not viable in arena.

Now, our dps in kitty, sooooo much better.

I tried this spec and it works nice with rip and rake, can be debatable...

No, you have genesis and no OoC. Even if genesis works on rip/rake(I've heard conflicting reports) it's not worth the damage you give up by not having OoC and R&T. PvP(arena) isn't about bleeding someone down, especially now, since you'll get killed in 12 seconds by a mage or ret pally.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghash

Then again, I'd have to actually play some arenas at 80 (with a real team, skirmishes don't help too much) to see just how much AoE comes into play. In BC it makes sense to get this talent because it's a flat resist chance (meaning less novas or AE breaking you out of stealth in bad situations), but maybe not anymore.

If you got Predatory Instincts, however, you could always take the 3 points for Imp. Mangle out of Naturalist, or skip out on Imp. Mangle altogether, although it seems to me that spec'ing Imp. Mangle and mangle spamming for Roar CPs would be the best tactic, then do the normal Mangle->Rake->Shred to 5 and then FB or Rip depending on the target (You'd get CPs a lot faster for Roar with an ability that only costs 34 energy as opposed to 42 energy, and then you don't have to worry about it for a full 34 seconds). Just my thoughts.
    Don't drop naturalist, whatever you do. Primal precision is amazing, underestimated talent, especially for pvp. Swap the points in imp mangle or r&t for PI if it's something you can't live without, but it's a pve talent.

Try it before theorycrafting and u might be surprised. The OOC might be argumentive at 80 and genesis as well, but try...

Trial and error is the best approach to find a great spec...hell, at 1 copper respec in beta, it was easy to do that...this was great....

FB spec was AMAZING too, burst up the ass.

So, instead of picking up the 2nd to last tier talent, new to the expansion and a buffed version of an already superior feral talent for 11 points, you want to drop 5 of those into a resto/balance tier 1 talent to increase your DPS on 2 abilities that already make up a small portion of your total DPS? Not to mention that the abilities you're increasing, while important, are not what get you kills in arena?

R&T+Feral Aggression may get some reconsideration later, but right now it's not worth the 5 points just for the ferocious bite portion of the talent. Though, thinking about it, maybe it's not so bad to debuff a cleave team with demo roar with FA talents. You just won't have any extra points to put in it.

ok so this
    is our base build. I dont think any feral who has spent time in an arena can have issue with any of the talents i've taken there
    naturalist, omen of clarity, improved leader of the pack (for mana, if nothing else), tigers fury, predatory instincts, and infected wounds cant be argued with
    you need all of these talents to be "feral" in an arena and have a chance of survival
    even given the nerfs, berserk will also fall into this category as "mostly necessary", although I didnt put the points in to get to it yet. that leaves us with 13 points to spread amongst the remaining talents.
    Natural shapeshifter (0/3)
    Master Shapeshifter (0/2)
    Thick hide (0/3)
    Primal precision (0/2)
    Survival of the fittest (0/3)
    Primal tenacity (0/3)
    Improved mangle (0/3)
    and Rend and tear (0/5)

Here are some notes for clarity/reminders

Note: i havent listed some bear talents. this is a playstyle choice. In bear I am supposed to survive. thats it, really. its what bear form is for. if youre walking into an arena dont think you'll do any viable damage in bear form.

Note: Our arena gear, aside from our weapon (/sigh) is based on agility (the raw stat) instead of attack power- you can see that if you go here http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?item=41677

note: youre going to have to make some glyph choices before talking about what talent is better than what talent. for me, ive made the decision to go with a glyph of rake, (which should solve some of the feral druid distance bugging-prevents fleeing and puts a bleed up), glyph of shred (for obvious reasons- this is THE feral pvp glyph if you arent mangle spamming), and the last glyph i'm leaving open. ill decide on it based on my partner. maybe healing touch (for the 1s healing touch spam), maybe rake (if i roll with another offhealer like a ret pally), id test rejuv out, etc.

note: i normally play on the ptr (and live) with a large number of restealths. I'm a NE so i get a vanish now (with the new change to shadowmeld)
    stealth
    pounce -> mangle -> shreds (rip if they start running)->
    and either
    maim->restealth
    or
    cyclone ->restealth
    or
    rip/roar->shadowmeld->restealth
    and then repounce

if theyre at a low enough health to kill them, i bash or lockjaw, pop fury and finish them

in any case, given those above this is my talent spec, and why
    Natural shapeshifter (2/3) - because improved leader is supposed to solve our mana issues
    Master Shapeshifter (0/2) - no natural shapeshifter, talent points better spent elsewhere anyway
    Thick hide (0/3) - because this is a tanking stat
    Primal precision (0/2) - because im going to make sure i have at least some + hit in my gear (although I might move natural shapeshifter points here if mana <really> isnt an issue)
    Survival of the fittest (3/3) - because 6% extra agility is worth the crit and extra healing, and 6% stamina is a nice bonus 6% strength might not matter anymore, with the new gear. 6% extra intel means a slightly larger mana pool (one of the only ways we can get one)
    Primal tenacity (3/3) - pvp oriented talent points, will increase survivability markedly.
    Improved mangle (0/3) - because i dont intend to spam mangle
    and Rend and tear (5/5) - because i intend to root running targets with rip in order to eliminate feral range bugging, thereby making a mangle-then-shredspam much easier to preform, and FB > all for burst damage

and as far as mangle spam..
    not as much burst damage. i like big numbers that scare healers (or scare ret pallies into burning their mana).
    you need to get behind your target anyway! stop being lazy!
    there is not a class in this game that can efficiently attack you when you are behind them
    forcing yourself to use shred puts you at an automatic advantage because you are always trying to avoid meleswings, casts,--- all of it. its like an additional defense built into druid pvp mechanics.

let me know what you think! i might be wrong about any of this