Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: What is the preferred Spriest spell rotation

Dont throw your dots on the target immediately. Get the full shd weaving buff on yourself first. That way your pain will do the most dmg for the entire fight. Apperently if you put on pain at the start the dmg at that point will be calculated even when refreshed and you would have more spell power to increase the dmg of your dots as well. So basically get the most dmg possible first and then put pain on the target. (i recommend the addon dr dmg to see the dmg you do with spells etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Anglarana
    Dont throw your dots on the target immediately. Get the full shd weaving buff on yourself first. That way your pain will do the most dmg for the entire fight. Apperently if you put on pain at the start the dmg at that point will be calculated even when refreshed and you would have more spell power to increase the dmg of your dots as well. So basically get the most dmg possible first and then put pain on the target. (i recommend the addon dr dmg to see the dmg you do with spells etc.)
    Interesting. I hadn't thought about getting full Shadow Weaving before tossing SW:P (although I normally open with VT- old habit from before the change) with respect to the MF refresh and such. I'll do that from now on.

(as a healer) my DP ticks are kinda pitiful. in a raid as shadow what do yours tick for?

One things get going (full stacks of weaving and such), it's a priority of:
    Devouring Plague
    Vampiric Touch
    Mind Blast
    Mind Flay
    I cut out SWD right now; it's just too small a damage boost to justify complicating the rotation (especially since I run with some FPS problems).

On the pull, however, I do the following:
    VE
    Trinket
    VT
    Plague
    SWD
    Mind Blast
    SWP
    That gets the five stacks up before SWP lands, since it's bugged. After that's done, I go to my normal rotation. If/when SWP gets unbugged, that'll probably be the first thing I cast.

In heroic and Kara, trash now dies so fast that I don't even bother with DoT's, I just save them from bosses, or maybe 1 for the tougher/longer pulls.

IMO you want to start with VT & MB to get replenishment working asap, VT is also a 15 sec dot and the slight dps loss from casting it first is going to be negligible. I also want to cast MB, SW & MF quickly to try and crit early so when I apply DP & SW:P I have my imp Spirit tap proc increasing my Spellpower.

As such i've been running with...

VT
    MB
    SW
    MF
    SW:P
    DP

and then going into the priority from there. Of course you ideally want to trinket before you cast SW:P and that way you can refresh SW:P at its max damage for the duration of the fight/encounter.

SWP doesn't work like that, the spell power applied to it is recalculated every time it's refreshed with Flay. It's *supposed* to work like that in relation to Shadow Weaving and crit (next patch), but it doesn't currently. Though you are probably right about trying to get ImpTap up before casting Plague, I'll have to try that out.

Haven't read anything about dots mechanics changing... as it stands a dot applies damage for its duration according to your self buffs you have at the time of casting.

That includes, trinkets and + damage buffs....

Because MF refreshes SW:P (Not recast it) the dot will keep all the temp modifiers that was applied to it when casted. This is how the mechanic is currently working and if it gets changed it will mean a major revamp to DoT mechanics... if there are some blue posts on this could you please link coz i've seen none.

I've been using the following:

1) Blow the trinket (Hex head atm)
    2) VT
    3) Mind Blast
    4) SWD
    5) DP
    (at this point I got +255 spellpower from trinket, 5x Shadow Weaving, Replenishment and possible IST up)
    6) SWP (I chose to use it as last spell because of the procs / debuffs it depends on which don't refresh after the dot is already applied)

And from there I just reapply VT / DP, then MB when it's ready, MF in between and that's it.

Worshaka, no, this is not how it is currently working. Use a trinket, apply SW:P and then just refresh it with MF and watch the numbers. Then do another test and use the trinket after applying SW:P. You'll see that when MF refreshes the DoT the game checks if you have a trinket buff on yourself and makes the DoT do damage accordingly.

Currently however it doesn't work the same with Shadow Weaving (tested myself) and Shadowform (heard, not tested, be why would you be out of SF, anyway?).

For raid bosses, I currently go:

1. Trinket/DP
    2. VE (these two are nomally cast while moving into position)
    3. VT
    4. SW
    5. MB
    6. SW:P

Then after that I have my trinket macroed to MB and just keep up dots. I cut out SW unless I'm using it at some awkward moment in the rotation where I have like 1s left on a MB cd or while I'm moving. However, since they will supposedly fix the SW:P bug in the next patch, that will probably become my first spell followed by DP or VE if I'm still getting into position. Still playing with everything.

Try casting VE before trinket/DP, you're losing one GCD worth of trinket damage by using VE while it's up.