Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

What's your Prot Pally wearing?

I've been my guild's prot pally since 2.3, I tanked MH, BT, SWP (Pre-Nerf), and now I'm almost always our MT for LK stuff. But I've looked all over my server, and i can't find a single prot pally other than myself over 30k hp unbuffed. Some of our top guild have prot pallies running with 28k-29k, which is fine if they're stacking avoidance and not focusing as much on stam. But, I'm at over 32k and i have relatively good avoidance, sometimes more than these other prot pallies. I know stam isn't everything, its not the know all, be all. But, i just don't understand why there aren't at least a couple of people anywhere in the neighborhood of 30k-32k.

Now, maybe I've given more time and effort into my gear and things, and drops have to be friendly to people. I know our guild hasn't even seen the belt from spider wing, bracers from DK wing, or Last Laugh, yet. But, i make due while i wait for gear. Is there anyone out there with a decently geared prot pally who would like to toss up an armory link?

It's impossible to compare and "talk pally" with people, when either prot pallies are becoming extinct in high end raiding, or people just equip their T7 and don't know what they're doing. My name is Bluerelic, I'm on Hellscream server if you want to check me out, by no means does anyone have to put up link, and this isn't about epeen, but i really dont have anyone to compare to on my own server.

Re: What's your Prot Pally wearing?

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...as&n=Dumathoin

That's my armory. I am far from the best and only sitting at 27k. But then again my guild has barely progressed in Naxx thus far and I have not been to any other Raids. My avoidance isn't exactly where I want it. But I MT for my guild and have not run in to a single problem yet even on the occasional boss enrage.

15+ Year Old Account

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...orrow&n=Hallio

my guilds tankadin.

my knowledge of tanking gear is minimal so you can check it for yourself.

Alliance
    80, Paladin - Tank / Ret - EU-Die Silberne Hand
    80, Druid - Moonkin / Tree - EU-Die Silberne Hand
    80, Mage - Arcane - EU-Die Silberne Hand
    80, Deathknight -DD / Tank - EU-Die Silberne Hand

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...fist&n=Monalin

Upgrades i'm looking for.

T7 Helm or the one from Gothic 25
    T7 Chest
    T7 Gloves

Sarth Quest Neck

My guild has like 4 pallies 3 warlocks and 4 priests so getting Tier gear is fukin hard. Specially since i've only been here about 6 weeks. Hopefully i'll get my shit in the next week or two. Lots of people are stupid though there was a pally with the same gear as me and the same professions and he had less HP. Because he was putting the 41 stam gems in a blue socket. WTF would you do that for? I put them in any color but blue and i have 163 stam more beceause of it.

The major difference in the HP is the Jewelcrafter only gems and Enchanter only ring enchants/trinkets. Def cap is met but with the addition of the JC trink etc. avoidance is lower than a 27-29k HP prot pally. The higher avoidance of these tanks negates the need for the stam stacking from the special gems/trinks/enchants thus making the playing field even. My prot paladin has approx. 3% more dodge, your parry is a bit higher on blue relic, but then I trump that with over 10% more block, granted there are still a few upgrades to bring this guy in line, but there's your difference, high stam, lower avoidance, lower stam, more avoidance, all is equal in the world of the pally here's my link http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...nas&n=Rockkorn you'll see what i mean.

And this is the kind of feedback i was looking for, couple pallies with different gear choices than me to compare to. Now, I have a question, is it for a different purpose that pallies (least the ones I've seen) gear for block rating/value before pure avoidance? Now before anyone mentions needing block value is for better blocks, better shield slams, better threat, I would like to mention that threat is a non-issue. Only on Malygos do I ever even worry about our dps catching me. Even after they fixed ShoR, i still pull anywhere from 5-6k TPS (I know some prot pallies are higher, but they also have more block value). Now, I understand the mechanics of HS and ShoR both requiring Block, either rating or value, but to me this is a secondary function, I'm the MT, i dont need 500 less damage on a 14k hit from malygos, I need that hit to miss me more often. Maybe its the role your guild have you play, maybe you have an absurd amount of block, idk, im not criticizing, but am i the only pally who thinks our T7 is lack luster(aside from looking retarded)? I mean riddled with block rating/value, and I know I'm wearing the chest piece, but thats not by choice, its because it was better than my scrub blue i was wearing. The shoulders and gloves are both a good choice, but after that it seems to me pallies got the shaft on T7, has anyone seen how much avoidance is on warrior gear?

Armory Link:
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...annon&n=Vashir

I'm not exceptionally well geared, since I try to stick to pieces that I can get via questing and casual raiding. But it gets the job done.

Bluerelic:

Your gear is amazing! However, I have a couple of questions for you on your spec (mostly to educate myself on different tanking philosophies and make sure I haven't missed something critical about talent builds).

1 - I noticed you skipped Improved Devo but put 1 point in Reckoning. Is there something about I.Devo that makes it not worthwhile?

2 - I see that you chose Pursuit of Justice over another talent (like Stoicism or Improved Seals). What made you decide to choose that talent versus using a Tuskarr's Vitality enchant (stam + run speed)

Thanks!
    http://www.zetbit.com/sig-1088014.jpg

Warriors pretty much got the shaft as well, except for the fact their T7 is actually worth looking at (looks for the hide shoulders) option below the (hide helm) in the options tab , anyway, the avoidance on both sets equals out to about the same, blizz threw some expertise in there for giggles. at times it helps, but don't need too much of it, not alot of bosses these days that get that dmg buff from parrys etc. and Blue I just took a look at your talents as well, and it answers a few things, one, you need the higher stam because your stressing your healers more than necessary due to the lack of the bonus to heals from Imp. Devo, and Conviction? that one i can't get my head around, 5 points in Seals of the Pure would give you way more tps than the crit bonus from conviction and much more reliable i.e chance to crit pursuit of justice I can almost see "hey I need to get over there quick" etc. but again, losing those points in the prot tree well, yeah, they buffed those for a reason, namely the removal of blessing of light, and to answer the previous poster, the 1 point in reckoning was needed to reach the lower trees due to the loss of points in imp. devo etc., also I took 3 points in stoicism, watch your tps closely if you decide to try it, it affects the ticks on vengeance and consecrate thus stabilizing your tps with minimal to no dips allowing you to climb even higher on your next rotation of SoR, HoR etc.

I think the biggest thing is that you have two stamina trinkets equipped.  You also are using a stamina Meta gem.  The stamina ring enchants help, also (but Blacksmithing gives the exact same benefit with sockets on gloves and bracers).  The other paladins you've seen may have made different choices.

One other big difference I see is that you are several % shy of the block cap.  What used to be the uncrushable mark is now called the Block Cap, and at 102.4% total combined avoidance and block you can safely state that every single incoming attack will be blocked.  This is a unique feature to paladins because of the mechanics of Holy Shield.  Once you reach the Block Cap, you can add your Block Value to your health pool when figuring your effective health.  Those other paladins may have actually been at the block cap, and even though their HP total seemed a bit lower, if their Block Value was decent (1500-2k), then it is a wash.  The armory doesn't show Block Value like the in-game tooltip does, so I can't be certain of yours, but since you've opted for a stamina meta instead of the Block Value meta, I'm guessing yours is slightly below the average (again, not bad, just a different choice).

I'm sitting right at 30k health with similar avoidance numbers to yours (a tiny tiny bit higher), but I've also opted to focus on Block Rating and Block Value.  The Darkmoon Card: Greatness (Str) is actually a pretty darn good mitigation trinket (not to mention a nice threat boost, even though its not really needed at the current content level).

As for talents. I question your choice to skip Improved Devotion Aura and Judgements of the Just. While I'm sure your answer probably includes the statement "My healers can keep me up just fine", they could keep you up much more effectively if you had both those talents in your build.

FYI: my character is Xanthoren on Twisting Nether US.

Optimal gear set would be T7 helm (or 25man Gothic) T7 shoulders T7 gloves
    Legs from Malygos, Chest from Heigan, the rest is pretty self explanatory.

Personally i like a little more block so i'm sticking with the T7 legs because i could care less for the expertise from the Malygos ones i have enough with the helm and other items.

Warrior avoidance is exactly the same almost. I've seen some warriors with 26% dodge unbuffed, but all i do is swap out a couple pieces and i can get that. Best thing to do if your guild can afford it is to get multiple sets of gear and use different items on different fights. I find myself doing this a lot.

@eternityshard
    Keep in mind while it might appear on the character sheets that you are not over the block cap, i have anywhere between 3-4% more dodge on raids due to buffs. You should always keep this in mind while looking at the block cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Vashir
    Armory Link:
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...annon&n=Vashir

I'm not exceptionally well geared, since I try to stick to pieces that I can get via questing and casual raiding. But it gets the job done.

Bluerelic:

Your gear is amazing! However, I have a couple of questions for you on your spec (mostly to educate myself on different tanking philosophies and make sure I haven't missed something critical about talent builds).

1 - I noticed you skipped Improved Devo but put 1 point in Reckoning. Is there something about I.Devo that makes it not worthwhile?

2 - I see that you chose Pursuit of Justice over another talent (like Stoicism or Improved Seals). What made you decide to choose that talent versus using a Tuskarr's Vitality enchant (stam + run speed)

Thanks!
    Imp devo i skipped because our GM is a tree druid, he never misses a raid, so the 6% healing is a wash since they don't stack, and 3 talent points to give myself and other tanks 602 armor is completely silly, since it equals about .1 damage reduction or something craptastic.

Pursuit of Justice is kind of a flavor thing, I like running fast...lol, but theres a more practical use for it, it also reduces all disarms by 50%, and more often than not if im being disarmed its by a group of mobs where one of them happens to have disarm, this makes it so i cant hammer of the righteous, thus making it more difficult to tank a group of mobs. If the only time i was ever disarmed was while i was tanking a single mob, it would probably be a non-issue.

If you are interested in optimizing gear look: http://www.maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/index.php
    Alliance
    80, Paladin - Tank / Ret - EU-Die Silberne Hand
    80, Druid - Moonkin / Tree - EU-Die Silberne Hand
    80, Mage - Arcane - EU-Die Silberne Hand
    80, Deathknight -DD / Tank - EU-Die Silberne Hand

Quote Originally Posted by monalin
    Optimal gear set would be T7 helm (or 25man Gothic) T7 shoulders T7 gloves
    Legs from Malygos, Chest from Heigan, the rest is pretty self explanatory.

Personally i like a little more block so i'm sticking with the T7 legs because i could care less for the expertise from the Malygos ones i have enough with the helm and other items.
    Thank you for the input, but i beg to differ on the chest, i want the chest off sarth :P

Not trying to offend, but the last tank in Wow that ever needs to worry about any disarm effects is a prot. pally, period, now a warrior disarmed is bad news , but a pally? everything is still ticking, disarm is a non issue at best

But in the end, as always, your play style is yours, if it works for you and your guild, go with it

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...n+Ring&n=Furio

This is my gear set, 30404 base HP. Gemmed almost totally Stamina for MT role on normal nights and Kiter on Sarth 3d. Effectively at 30 expertise with glyphs and seals on. Wishing I could garner some more hit rating out of my gear currently.

Your stamina stacking is pretty high. As a prot I wouldn't knock it as you gain quite a fair amount of threat from stamina stacking as well as cleanly hitting a massive shield wall range at 35%. Buffed I assume you are at about 43k as I am at 30.4k and hit 40.1k buffed. Thats a nice 15k built in shield wall that makes you about impossible to beat down.

80 Paladin (x2), 80 Shaman (x3), 80 Rogue (x2), 80 Mage, 80 Death Knight, 80 Priest, 80 Warrior, 80 Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by rockkorn
    Not trying to offend, but the last tank in Wow that ever needs to worry about any disarm effects is a prot. pally, period, now a warrior disarmed is bad news , but a pally? everything is still ticking, disarm is a non issue at best
    If i get disarmed before threat is established, SoV is not ticking, consecration is horrible threat-wise now unless you supplement it with other abilities, my consecration gained like 100 damage leveling to 80 and getting all new epics, its scaling was probably the worst of all the spells in wrath. It isnt just consecration + HS, go grab a snack anymore. But, i do agree that once threat is established, disarm is LOL for most prot pallies.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluerelic
    Thank you for the input, but i beg to differ on the chest, i want the chest off sarth :P
    Yeah i just like the Hit and high dodge form the Heigan one. Both are pretty good though.

I really should try to work in some more +hit, but I take it where i can get it. Also, while 8.2% is like the ideal number for a class, it pretty much never misses, also remember that you get 3% more from Shadow Priests in raids, so our actual required +hit is lower for 25 mans than people realize.