Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Talent Dual Spec Q&A with Ghostcrawler

Talent Dual Spec Q&A with Ghostcrawler
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker)

With the next content patch, we will be introducing a number of additions and changes to the game. One new feature in the works is the ability to set up two separate sets of talents, or "dual spec". While the complete feature may not be immediately available in the Public Test Realms (PTR) and specifics are still liable to change, we wanted to go over some questions with Senior Game Designer Greg "Ghostcrawler" Street to find out more.

Nethaera: What is dual speccing?
    Ghostcrawler: Dual speccing is the ability to save two separate talent specs, glyphs, and action bars.

Nethaera: Why are we allowing players to dual spec after all this time?
    Ghostcrawler: We really felt like this was a great way to increase the flexibility available to players and encourage them to take part in more aspects of the game. To use just one example, some players like to participate in both raids and Arenas, which is awesome behavior that we want to promote. But, there are some talents which are more useful in one part of the game than another. Currently, players have to pay respec costs and go through the process of setting up the desired talent spec and action bars whenever they switch.

The new system makes this a much more logical process, saving on time and cost and allowing players to easily move from one aspect of the game to another.

Nethaera: Who will be able to use it?
    Ghostcrawler: Players who have reached the maximum level will be able to set up dual specs.

Nethaera: Why do players need to be max level in order to do this?
    Ghostcrawler: We didn’t want to burden lower-level players with extra complexity as they’re working to level up and learn their class. But if the feature proves popular we might consider expanding it.

Nethaera: How will you be able to set up a dual spec?
    Ghostcrawler: Players will be able to visit their trainer and pay a one-time fee to be able to use it.

Nethaera: How do you switch between specs?
    Ghostcrawler: Players will be able to switch between their talent specs by visiting any Lexicon of Power provided they’ve paid for the ability to have a secondary spec. Lexicons of Power will be available in major cities, and inscribers will also be able to create a new item that summons one. Anyone can purchase this item, but it requires a ritual of several players to summon it for use by the party. It’s similar to a repair bot in that it will exist in the world for a short duration. It’s important to keep in mind that you will not be able to switch specs while in combat or Arenas. While you won’t be able to switch your spec without the Lexicon, you will still be able to look at your secondary spec whenever you want to.

Nethaera: Will solo players have the ability to switch their specs outside of the cities or will they still need to visit a Lexicon of Power?
    Ghostcrawler: Solo players will still need to go into the city to visit the Lexicon of Power to switch their talent spec or will need to get together with other players to summon one in.

Nethaera: Is the item that allows you to summon a Lexicon of Power reusable, or is it used up?
    Ghostcrawler: We haven’t made a final decision on that yet, and will be evaluating how it works on the PTR.

Nethaera: Can I respec only one of my talent sets, or will I need to respec them both if I reset one?
    Ghostcrawler: When you reset your talents, it will look at the spec you currently have in use as the talent set you want to change.

Nethaera: Will you be able to switch gear easily to match your spec?
    Ghostcrawler: At the same time we implement dual specs, we will also be setting up a gear system. The feature is called “Gear Manager.” It can also be used to just swap weapons or trinkets or put on that tuxedo to strut around town. It will not automatically switch your gear when you change your talent spec, but it will allow for an easy gear change between them. The feature may not be fully functional immediately in the PTR, but we’ll have more information to share about it before too much longer.

Nethaera: What about hunters? Often their pet talents are set up to match the talents of the hunter. Will they be able to switch their pet specs as well?
    Ghostcrawler: We will wipe the pet talents. However we are going to remove the respec cost for pet talents so that players won’t feel like they need to jump through an additional hoop to respec their pet. In addition, we are going to provide hunters a new core ability to let them remotely access their stable on a long cooldown. This way if their exotic pet heads off to the stable, they will be able to get a different pet. We hope to be able to discuss this new spell in more detail when we get a little further along.

Nethaera: Will you be able to change your Glyphs as well?
    Ghostcrawler: Glyphs will be tied to each talent spec so that if you switch between them, so too will the Glyphs. You’ll notice the UI will have changed a little bit so that the Glyph panes show up alongside the Talent panes now that they are associated.

Nethaera: What about hotbars? Will players be able to save them for the talent spec they’re running?
    Ghostcrawler: Yes, you will be able to save hotbars and use them with your talent specs. It just saves your bars at the same time as it saves the glyphs and talents. If you want to switch to your other action bar, you will need to change specs.

Nethaera: Is there a way for players to choose their talents without them being saved? Currently, once you spend your talent point, it’s spent unless you pay the respec cost again.
    Ghostcrawler: With the dual spec feature, we are going to allow players who respec to configure all their talents before they get saved. They will be able to allocate the points, then choose if they want to use that as their spec, rather than needing to carefully diagram out their talents ahead of time. This will allow players a little more freedom when deciding on the talents they want to pick and avoid costly mistakes.

Nethaera: Will players be confined to only setting up two specs?
    Ghostcrawler: We will be launching the feature with just two specs, but depending on how we feel it works out, we might consider additional specs in the future.

Nethaera: When can players expect to try out dual specs?
    Ghostcrawler: Players will be able to try out the dual spec system on the Public Test Realms when they are made available. This has been a pretty big project with a lot of people working toward making it a reality in the game. We’ll definitely be watching the feedback and looking for ways of making sure the system works the way we all envisioned it to.

Re: Talent Dual Spec Q&A with Ghostcrawler

nice. cant wait to mess with it on ptr! I respec so much right now it's ridiculous, easily 400g+ a week on glyphs+respecs.

15+ Year Old Account

The value of a having a scribe in your raid just increased by a factor of 1000.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

I can't wait!!!

PS. 1st toast ;D

About. Damn. Time.
    Quote Originally Posted by nzall
    that is a moment where even /headdesk does not quite cut it. i promptly proceeded to /bodywall.

15+ Year Old Account

Not sure we even have an inscriber in our raids. Most people just have in on alts.

Love that you have to be near a Lexicon to swap specs and that Scribes can now summon/make them. A nice system imo.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

I can't wait for this. Imagine no more LF tank or LF healer requests lasting FOREVER. Some nights it just seems there is never a tank or healer online. Now instead of "what's your spec?" whispers being issued it will be, hey theres a warrior in LFG grab him. Obviously this is all for 5man PUGs. The raid side will benefit for different reasons. The mage ports people to SW to respec for a single tank boss fight and a lock summons them back. I like the versatility this will create.

Quote Originally Posted by dcemuser
    The value of a having a scribe in your raid just increased by a factor of 1000.
    Why is that? It says anyone can buy the item.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatalle
    I can't wait for this. Imagine no more LF tank or LF healer requests lasting FOREVER. Some nights it just seems there is never a tank or healer online. Now instead of "what's your spec?" whispers being issued it will be, hey theres a warrior in LFG grab him. Obviously this is all for 5man PUGs. The raid side will benefit for different reasons. The mage ports people to SW to respec for a single tank boss fight and a lock summons them back. I like the versatility this will create.
    Very true, however said warrior would need to have tanking gear

I'm equally excited to see the Gear Manager. I really like ClosetGnome, so we'll see how Blizz does it

Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    [...] and inscribers will also be able to create a new item that summons one. Anyone can purchase this item, but it requires a ritual of several players to summon it for use by the party. [...]
    Not necessary for the scribe be in the raid.
    Nice way to make Inscription a little better!

I wonder if the gear manager gives us somewhere else to put our gear, or if we need to have it in our bags to be able to switch?

15+ Year Old Account

i'm kinda excited about this.

Still worried i may be perceived as some sort of jackass if I as a pally do PvE/PvP ret.. although i do kinda miss holy.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Fatalle
    Unfortunately, I doubt it will be the case...

There is no tank shortage.

There is, however, a shortage of tanks (and in many cases, healers) WILLING to PUG... as well as a surplus of n00bs who require overkill stats for non-raid dungeons. It is perfectly possible to tank heroics in the blue saronite gear set without any hitches, too bad people are still in the TBC gear mindset.

This change is very unlikely to make a sufficient enough players willing to tank or heal in general. This is something the WoW community itself has to change in order to remedy the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by AoBman05
    There is no tank shortage.

There is, however, a shortage of tanks WILLING to be recruited for PUG's... as well as a surplus of idiots who require overkill stats for non-raid dungeons. It is perfectly possible to tank heroics in the blue saronite gear set without any hitches, too bad morons are still in the TBC mindset.
    Wow, no need to take the low road with name calling. No server is exactly like yours, so the general statement of "there is no tank shortage" isn't true. A lot depends upon the age of the realm, timezone, etc. Most people prefer their Heroics to be as quick and painless as possible, especially the healer.

As long as said Saronite gear gets you to 537 D and 20K, sure.

I can't wait for dual specs. Bring it on!
    BAMF.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Nubs
    I can't wait for dual specs. Bring it on!
    Aye! =D
    Btw, be sure to buy your exstra glyphs now before it will be implented

To save a lot of gold on the new rush of glyphs that people need..
    Once you go troll, you'll never reroll.
    To bad I'm an undead! ~ Tøffelladden

Quote Originally Posted by Rezzyk
    I wonder if the gear manager gives us somewhere else to put our gear, or if we need to have it in our bags to be able to switch?
    I currently use Outfitter and I love it. The gear will be in your bags but it has an identifier as to the set it is part of (ex. tanking, dps, etc.). By the press of 1 button you switch out your entire equipped gear with the saved items for various sets. I imagine Gear Manager will be similar.

at first I was nervous when they said they wanted to do more than just allow us to change specs, but I think it's really coming along well if all goes to plan.
    Nowhere in the bible does it say that Jesus isn't a raptor

kinda stupid that it doesnt work while lvling, since thats the time when noone skills for tanking or healing..

A couple other things to consider:

1. This will give hybrids alot more to do if they find themselves feeling bored. Work on equipping your other spec as it is now viable to consider both of them first position. Which brings up the potential issues of...

2. Main spec. When rolling for gear drops it used to always go to main specs first before off specs. Now pali tanks will want to roll against dps plate or healing plate that drops. I hope this doesnt cause too much of an issue. Obviously for guild runs it wont be but PUGs? Another reason not to run PUGs I guess if you can help it.