Thread: how do i

how do i

TANK?? I cant hold aggro worth a crap and my taunts are allways down. Right now i Swipe spam keeping enough rage at all times but i allways loose aggro.

Re: how do i

sum naize hot cup o' mangel lol!
    "oh, we have to stay out of the fire on supremus?"

Trolling? Or seriously need help?

mangle gives you a fair amount of TPS, assuming you specced into improved mangle it does a fair amount of it.
    lacerate is a a bleed effect, if you get the chance, get it up 5 points on single targets, preferably bosses but trash with large HP as well, together with mangle you should be ok.

when you have enough rage, use maul as well, besides its own TPS it also buffs your next move, so maul and mangle is ok, or maul and swipe is pretty much a nice aggro builder as well, specially on AoE tanking.

hope this helps

Well

First of all, you need to go to your druid and realize there's more than one button to push, you are not a rogue anymore ya know......

All of Time and Space, Everything that has happened or will happened, Where do you want to start?

"If you ever see a rogue, either rogue is overgear or the rogue has problems"

personally i have 2 main rotations for tanking... first thing is that i have faerie fire on my maul macro. this lets me cut down my button smashing to either 2 or 3 buttons. since FF & maul are on different CDs you can totally get away with this. just keep in mind FF is on the same CD with Mangle.

#showtooltip Maul
    /cast Faerie Fire (Feral)()
    /cast Maul

AE (3+) rotation
    all this is really is swipe button with my maul macro. yes FF will conflict with swipe but that is ok because if you have marks like skull for single target dps, FF will help build threat on that target. usually i will always open with mangle just to build some initial aggro on the focus target for single target dps. a random lacerate in replace of a swipe is ok. it helps maul threat and focus target threat as long as you have established AE threat.

1 - 2 target rotation
    1mangle 3lacerates (2lacerates per 1mangle with imp mangle talent) rotation with maul when there is spare rage as long as you have enough rage to not hinder the rotation. mainly i hit mangle and spam lacerate / maul macro till i get either 2 or 3 lacerates off then only mangle.

side note: once you have reached 5 stack lacerate it is best to switch over to lacerate. then only use lacerate to refresh the 5 stack timer. this is due to stacking tick vs initial threat....

intital threat: 1150
    tick threat:
    1 stack 850
    2 stack 1700
    3 stack 2550
    4 stack 3400
    5 stack 4250

as you can see once you have a double stack of lacerate the ticks will give more threat then the initial threat... so as long as your spamming lacerate you wont let any tick threat generate. but to get 2 stack and wait for the timer to run out to refresh it to make it a 3 stack it is just better to quickly build 5 stack and then switch over to swipe.

3 mob only
    most effective with the berserk + mangle & maul spam. this is where the maul macro (maul+FF) conflicts. but i found if i press maul during the mangle CD then it wont use FF. but i guess i am use to this so i can quickly adjust myself to use FF or not to use FF on the fly.

15+ Year Old Account

verry nice i didnt know the bleed effect did such a high treath i though it was only the initail dmg that high threat (i need to l2p my class)

anyway i do use what u say and swap to swipe when i get 5 stacks but i still only get 3 -4 K

witch aint good enoguh for our 4 - 5K mages lol

i dont have MSS in my build and i dont have +2% treath enchat on shoulders but i doubt that make a 1K difference ?

and yes i wear full dodge / agi gear whit high armor.

in pds gear i do 4 - 5K and its doable but i only have 25K up ub then lol
    TREE DURID IS 4 PEE

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by pointyears teh mage
    TANK?? I cant hold aggro worth a crap and my taunts are allways down. Right now i Swipe spam keeping enough rage at all times but i allways loose aggro.
    Post your armory so we can look at your gear and your build.
    It may be a wrong rotation, but it may also be a completely wrong spec or a completely wrong itemization. We cannot help unless we know what the real situation is.

PS: never underestimate gear problems people. I've been asked like 15 times in the last three weeks how much defense druids need to be crit immune, k?
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftly
    you're not using maul when you mangle?

For some reason i'm seeing higher tps when I -- Lacerate up to 5, Mangle, Lacerate,Lacerate, mangle ect.

Maul always litup.

I average 6-9k tps doing this. When I tried the whole Lacerate up to 5, Mangle, swipe swipe swipe swipe, lacerate. IT seemed to generate less. Dunno, maybe I was doing something wrong, both work. Haven't had any sort of issue with threat so-far.

Quote Originally Posted by getefix
    you're not using maul when you mangle?
    maul is just about my #1 source of threat. there is no reason not to use maul. but you should never use maul to the point your waiting on rage for your rotation. maul is mainly a rage dump, only be used if you have extra rage.

my wow armory page

My Rawr stats w/o crits:
    Maul: 4703 threat (~1846 damage)
    Mangle: 2260 threat (~1091 damage)
    Faerie Fire: 1826 threat (~250 damage)
    Lacerate initial: 1156 threat (~85 damage)
    Swipe: 1047 threat (~337 damage)
    Per lacerate tick: 876 threat (~846 damage)

Mangle + Maul + (5) Lacerate tick + Swipe
    is still best for damage also using Faerie Fire will lower your damage but boost your threat.

FF can also be used as a secondary taunt with out the taunt effect (must look at my for 6 seconds). FF has a good source of threat with range abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Danthegreat1
    For some reason i'm seeing higher tps when I -- Lacerate up to 5, Mangle, Lacerate,Lacerate, mangle ect.

Maul always litup.

I average 6-9k tps doing this. When I tried the whole Lacerate up to 5, Mangle, swipe swipe swipe swipe, lacerate. IT seemed to generate less. Dunno, maybe I was doing something wrong, both work. Haven't had any sort of issue with threat so-far.
    initial lacerate threat and swipe threat difference is small so switching over to swipe should not make a big difference. even if and only if lacerate threat does not multiply with number of stacks then ~850 threat per tick + swipe threat is still more threat then just spamming lacerate.

the only thing i can think of is omen or any threat meter is not reading the threat coming from lacerate ticks. thus reducing the threat per second

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftly
    maul is just about my #1 source of threat. there is no reason not to use maul. but you should never use maul to the point your waiting on rage for your rotation. maul is mainly a rage dump, only be used if you have extra rage.

my wow armory page

My Rawr stats w/o crits:
    Maul: 4703 threat (~1846 damage)
    Mangle: 2260 threat (~1091 damage)
    Faerie Fire: 1826 threat (~250 damage)
    Lacerate initial: 1156 threat (~85 damage)
    Swipe: 1047 threat (~337 damage)
    Per lacerate tick: 876 threat (~846 damage)

Mangle + Maul + (5) Lacerate tick + Swipe
    is still best for damage also using Faerie Fire will lower your damage but boost your threat.

FF can also be used as a secondary taunt with out the taunt effect (must look at my for 6 seconds). FF has a good source of threat with range abilities.
    Since you linked your armory, I have to ask why you don't have Primal Precision.
    I've never tanked a raid boss and not been able to maul with my mangle. From the first landed attack onwards you should have enough rage to maul with ever single attack.
    FF does not scale with AP so I'm not sure about the "lower your damage but boost your threat"

Quote Originally Posted by getefix
    #1 ...I have to ask why you don't have Primal Precision.

#2 I've never tanked a raid boss and not been able to maul with my mangle. From the first landed attack onwards you should have enough rage to maul with ever single attack.

#3 FF does not scale with AP so I'm not sure about the "lower your damage but boost your threat"
    #1 once you reached 6.5% (24 expertise / 214 rating) from gear alone you can drop primal precision. any expertise after 6.5% is a bonus that is always welcomed but you can always use the talent points some where else.

#2 most of the time i have more then enough rage to use maul. but for noobs that wonder why cant i hold threat because they are over using maul and hindering their primary rotation in producing threat this is why i mention it. maul is a rage dump and should only be used when you have extra threat. if you have extra threat 100% of the time then by all means use maul every chance you get.

remember the reason why maul is a rage dump is because it consumes your auto-swing by turning it into a maul attack (reason why it is a que up attack) also on top of the rage it consumes. so you do not produce rage form auto attacks and you still lose rage form using maul. prey for more crits to produce rage or if talented get more dodges in.

#3 even if Faerie Fire (FF) doesnt scale it still produces more then enough threat to where lacerate and swipe cant catch up to it. ~700 difference in threat is a lot of AP needed to catch up. this is why as far as threat, FF is better to replace swipe or lacerate when the CD is up. but it produces less damage for those that look at DPS meters even as a tank. which is in my opinion is stupid.

my guildies use me to gauge their threat since my damage is very consistent. so they look at their over all damage in compare to mine on the meters. on most bosses i can break 2000++ dps easy but my over all damage done is on par with our high end DPS. since the recent patch i had a mage guildie try out a few specs one of which let him break 6k dps easy but his over all damage shot down... so getting high end dps is crap if your dropping your over all damage done. we did this till he found a spec that worked for burst and consistent damage. even had to get him 1.5 new complete sets of gear for him to fully test out a few specs. i am still not sure if he is happy. all i know is that he said i am good base to compare specs with because of my consistent damage.

the topic of this thread is plain stupid.