Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Ulduar blockvalue items

ProTip for tanking in general:

If you want to know what the best tanking set is for a given encounter (or just in general), ask the people keeping you alive. Now obviously dont ask them about details like "wats the best wai 2 gear 4 me?" or "wat def do i need?". Ask them what makes their job easier. Because chances are when you translate what makes their job easier into tank jargon, it usually produced the best results.

Typically i find that BV is much more valuable than pure avoidance (to a point obviously) due to the simple fact that low overall but very spikey incoming damage is almost always worse high overall but consistent incoming damage.

This goes twofold.

1. Consistent high incoming damage simply melds better with how people react and how this game is made (cast times on most big heals)
    2. SA never having dry patches because you're a superstar that just dodged/parried/got-missed for ten seconds straight.

I would trade 1% pure avoidance at a rate of ~100-250BV where I can get my hands on it depending on my current avoidance. Less I have more valuable it becomes of course.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

My formula is this:

104.5? 102.4? It has been so long but cant remember what the cap is for black cap.

5% Base Miss,

6% Miss from Defense

25% Dodge -
    \
    -- Any Combination is good though (What is the point where Diminshing Returns of Dodge= Parry?
    /
    20% Parry-

30% From Holy Shield

18.5% From Static Blocking

= 104.5

Hands down, unless its a fast swing low hit boss you can not highly rely on block.

IMO you need to shoot for atleast 50% pure avoidance, and 50% pure mitigation. Then when you can go higher avoidance, do so until the diminishing returns are just so bad.

This can be effectively done IMHO, by taking the FEW, but GOOD, Def, Dodge, Block Rating, items. Honestly 2 of those plus Block Rating Bracers,

Also I would like to see what the stats are for the Paladin tear 8, because A lot of those pieces are good.

And grabbing any future Block Value Trinkets, when they come out.

I would agree that trading 250BV is worth it for 1percent avoidance, however is that before or after Redoubt's effect?

Ok, this is just in from the new PTR Build 9704:

Paladin T8 Protection Relic -- Increases your block rating by 136 while Holy Shield is active.

Like reaching 102.4% isnt easy enough already.... All paladins @ that are capable of doing ulduar will already have pushed beyond 102.4% and thus the trinket is completely usless, i know I'm gonna keep using Libram of Obstruction still.

Paladin T8 Protection 2P Bonus -- Increases the damage done by your Seals by 10%.
    Paladin T8 Protection 4P Bonus -- Shield of Righteousness now increases your shield block value by 225 for 3 sec.

Quite good tbh, if the increased block value is applied to ShoR itself, otherwise gaining 225 bv for 3 secs isn't gonna do much good. Still it feels lackluster for a 4 set bonus, especially compared to the prot warriors 4 set bonus:

Warrior T8 Protection 4P Bonus -- Shield Block also grants you 20% reduction to magical damage taken.

I've posted a thread regarding bv gear @ european ptr forums, but it's probably dead and buried at this point if no discussion is taking place there: link

Will update with the actuall tier sets once wowhead ptr site is up again as their bound to have bv on it

Added one new item, t8 sets still arent avaidable:

ivl
    Type
    Spec
    Slot
    Item
    [b]Boss

Plate
    Tank
    Feet
    Greaves of the Stonewarder
    ???

These still has parry instead of block rating, how long are we betting that this stays? -_-

Going to update T8 once it's on wowhead, for now the mmo-champion links will have to do:

Prot paladin t8 25 man i226

Prot paladin t8 10 man i219

On a side note, I'm quite amazed that the only differance between 10 man t8 and and 25 man t8 is 7 itemlevels, that even less than between the t7 sets. If 25 man t7 was called t7,1 then I dont want to think about 25 man t8...

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by myrsnipe
    Agreed, a good solid mix of these stats is what we need. Also, let's hope our t8 2set piece bonus is something along the lines of +10% more ShoR dmg
    Funny enough the new Tier 8 Gloves should then be a Best in Slot at the 25man level. and 10 man.

its Str
    Stam

Def
    Parry
    BV

15+ Year Old Account

I would like to see how much BV these new items can get us up to. Currently in my block value set I am at 2100 BV unbuffed. If they made it so that after full buffs and procs our BV could block 4-5k++ then it would be a legitimate to be able to tank raid bosses in your BV set.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Daelak
    I would like to see how much BV these new items can get us up to. Currently in my block value set I am at 2100 BV unbuffed. If they made it so that after full buffs and procs our BV could block 4-5k++ then it would be a legitimate to be able to tank raid bosses in your BV set.
    4-5k would be way over the top @ current itemization, my bet is that we will be @ 3k if were lucky with icecrown gear. Tbh what I really want is not for these items to have purely a shitload of bv, but for them to use their itemization points wisely, namely not wasting it on block rating.

Well for people that look for more BR the new libram will be awesome

Paladin T8 Protection Relic -- Increases your block rating by 136 while Holy Shield is active.

we all remember the one at lvl 70 that was giving us a

Paladin T6 Protection Relic -- Increases your block rating by 42 while Holy Shield is active.

this 42 BR was giving a 5% so now we gonna go on a 10% to 15% depend on how it's scale. So if u still look for your 102.4% avoidance, you're serve, pally now have between 40% or 45% + your X% of your BR. for now I just return prot with a prot gear that is not really amazing and I got

23.18% Dodge
    16% parry
    30.51% BR + 30% of holy shield =60.5%

so right when I got that new libram I will be at 70% - 75% on BR AMAZING =)

I like that new libram seriously

But I DISLIKE SO MUCH THE ROBE' I WANT PANTS TO TANK NOT A ROBE!!! >

Sephirote you do know that defense also reduces your flat out chanse to be hitted as well as -crit and dodge/parry/block. You are beyond 102.4%, that libram does nothing for you.