Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Ret Aura contributing major DPS?

In patch 3.1 the following talents affect ANY auras you use
    - Sanctified Retribution (Friendly players affected by any auras by 3%)
    - Swift Retribution (Increase melee, casting and ranged attacks by 3%)
    - Improved Devotion Aura (Increase amount healed on those affected by your auras by 6%)

My question is, does damage from Ret Aura to bosses or mobs help out with dps or worth anything?

If it doesn't do great damage, does it make sense for ret pallys use devotion aura to help with armor and still have great aura effects like haste and damage increase?

I hope I make sense...

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Ret Aura contributing major DPS?

Yes, you definitely make sense. I guess in 3.1 ret paladin will have to adjust his auras to the raid's needs - and the need in Ret aura is not a great one. I think the most useful aura that comes from ret paladin is devotion aura (ofc if there's not a prot pally in the raid), then maybe conc. aura, resist auras, etc.
    Natural Selection: Each time you say "Worgens" as a plural form of the word "Worgen", you have a 2/4/6% chance to be eaten by a grammar nazi.
    Tier 2 talent of the Grammar-specced "Player" class.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account

This is good, basically it means after picking up sanctified retribution you're not stuck using ret aura for say Saphiron. You can switch to a better aura for the situation without losing the benefits of your retribution talents.

15+ Year Old Account

this change kinda lowers the skill required to play a ret pala even more, not that it takes much skill or consentration to play a ret pala atm but doing this the only diference betwen devotion and ret aura is armor and backblast.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

Quote Originally Posted by kailtas
    this change kinda lowers the skill required to play a ret pala even more, not that it takes much skill or consentration to play a ret pala atm but doing this the only diference betwen devotion and ret aura is armor and backblast.
    So having more options in auras makes it less skilled then just leaving on ret aura? hmm ic

This is a good change. It's a step in the right direction at making aura's more 'aura' like, taking restrictions off them, allowing them to just be there in the background. We get the added bonus of being able to switch them, so we can change some aspects of it, but always keeping ret aura on because if not we lost the 3% damage + haste was a bad thing.

I find these changes stupid, because it makes ret aura worthless. I see nothing wrong at all with having some auras actually do something different, especially when what aura does by itself is crap. No one ever say "use ret aura" for the reflected damage. We use it for the haste and damage boost. Why use ret aura now? I'd just use any random protection aura instead. Stupid. Unless we have 6 Pally in the group.

Quote Originally Posted by SFJake
    I find these changes stupid, because it makes ret aura worthless. I see nothing wrong at all with having some auras actually do something different, especially when what aura does by itself is crap. No one ever say "use ret aura" for the reflected damage. We use it for the haste and damage boost. Why use ret aura now? I'd just use any random protection aura instead. Stupid. Unless we have 6 Pally in the group.
    Did you ever consider the possibility that Protection paladins may use retribution aura in order to provide reactive threat generation, especially on AoE tanking, or are you just so focused on retribution that you have no idea how other paladin specs work?

And since Retribution paladins now can get higher ret aura damage without having to spend points specifically on a talent that only provides extra ret aura damage, that means their retribution aura will provide more threat generation for a paladin tank than if the paladin tank or holy paladin used retribution aura themselves.

I thought the skill requirement for ret pallys were removed with 3.0.2
    I started the Book of Faces moving
    Was involved in the RP Invasion

/Brofisting Vol'Jin

Quote Originally Posted by Merander
    Har har har.

Your wit is astounding, sir. You have utterly disarmed me of any possible retort or defense. Seriously.

15+ Year Old Account

Care to explain? I use about as much skill as it takes to "use" ret aura as it will take me to click Post.

And yeah your right, ret paladins are relatively simple. It's not a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Merander
    I thought that other dude from the other forum was the most stupid person I've ever seen.

But it seems I was wrong about that.

I like the change to auras, but i cant see where it makes the game easier.

I cant see where its easier to estimate the usefullness of every aura from one moment to the next compared to switching to one aura after respeccing and never switching back.

I guess some people already have makro installed that posts "stupid! it would make it even easier!" to the current topic with just one click.

------------------------------------------------------------

When to use Auras:
    Devotion: if theres no prot paladin tanking and the tank gets beaten up, take this
    Ret: if the tank is well equippet and the bonus armor isnt needed or if the tank needs a little more threat.
    Concentration: Casters around and group damage~, here we go!
    Resistence Auras: See blue magic around? Seee red magic around? Tada~!
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Artefacts:
    • In ordner to better fit the current post-truth zeitgeist, we are going to rename alle occurences of "artefact" into "artebelieve".

Chances are in most 25 man raids you will have at least one prot and one holy paladin to provide imp devo/conc aura. This will leave you to either put up ret aura in most cases, or if there is heavy magic dmg a resist aura. Most the time things will go unchanged.

This change will be more useful in ten mans or if you are missing a prot/holy paladin. Paladins now have the option to provide a different, more valuable aura while still getting the talented affects of ret aura without needing to have it up. It doesn't make the class easier, it makes raiding easier. We now have other options in raids for auras while still giving the main benefits of ret aurs whether it is actually used or not.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Elementium
    Care to explain? I use about as much skill as it takes to "use" ret aura as it will take me to click Post.

And yeah your right, ret paladins are relatively simple. It's not a big deal.
    alot of ppl still ask questions how to play a ret paladin in raids. funny if its such an easy class dont you think?

AHAHAHAHAAAHHAAA

... oh wait. You were being serious?
    This space is available for rent!

I really like this idea. Every aura has its primary affect. Truth is, when has a ret paladin ever benefited from the reflective damage of Retribution Aura? The damage bonuses from talents should be a product of the ret paladin, not the specific aura. Fights like Sapph make me cringe when we have undergeared healers because I know that I am gimping everyone's damage by switching to Frost Resist aura. If Retribution Aura was beneficial to ret pallys, like Sanctity Aura was, then I wouldn't be such an advocate of this change, but since there is no aura that specifically benefits Rets now, this move only makes sense.

Prot pallys benefit from Devotion Aura and Retribution Aura
    Holy pallys benefit from Concentration Aura and Improved Devotion Aura
    Ret pallys benefit from ???

Win7(64)Pro - Intel 3770K @ 4.5GHz - 4x4GB DDR3 G Skill Ripjaws X - XFX Radeon HD 7970 - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

Prentice, by that logic you still have nothing.

Ret aura doesn't do anything unless you are hit, so no, it's not handy in PVE situations. But Devot armor bonus is nothing unless you are hit, neither does the reduced pushback from Holy Pallies Aura. And the +Resist? Well duh...
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I [opinion] [cataclysm feature] and you should to. Anything who disagrees with me that [cataclysm feature] is [opinion] is a big [insult].
    I asked all of my friends and they all agreed with me that [cataclysm feature] is as [opinion] as it is possible to be.
    Blizzard are so [opinion], what [compliment/insult]s they all are!

There, now we can stop posting new topics in the Cataclysm forum altogether.
    And if you disagree with me you're an [insult].

Does ret aura work with aoe direct damage like KT's frost bolt nova?

what about sapphirons aura? because if it does, then i think thats a significant increase in DPS

It's just a game.

This is just another step closer by Blizzard to remove all the other classes and just put everything into one single class.
    Balance will be great and no one will have anything to complain about since it's all the same for everyone.
    Perhaps will they spare a few "unique" abilities like Polymorph Penguin to make peoples characters feel unique and special.
    EU forum is ignored.
    Game balance is not ok.
    Blue posters contradict themselves.
    Blizzards attitude towards us players sucks.