Thread: Post Your UI

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by magicaldandruff View Post
    I've always wondered about that in minimalistic UIs as well. I bind and hide all my regularly used abilities and leave major CDs for clicking, mostly because I run out of easily reacheable keys( with modifiers). I get that some players may have a Razor Naga and have buttons galore, but for those that don't? Do you guys literally keybind every ability?
    In short, yes. I haven't played WoW in years, but in my time it was pretty easy to keybind everything you need. And I still use a simple Microsoft keyboard and a Logitech MX518 so. Most classes have kind of 'overlapping' abilities too, and addons like Clique make it even easier. The only things I clicked are my raidframes (healing with Clique) and like VERY long group buffs (paladin shit, professions, random pet summoner etc.)

As for the minimap, Birg shows his UI's generally in combat. Now ask yourself, how much do you REALLY look at your minimap in combat, and what super critical info does it give at a glance? You're right, nothing.

I've always wondered about that in minimalistic UIs as well. I bind and hide all my regularly used abilities and leave major CDs for clicking, mostly because I run out of easily reacheable keys( with modifiers). I get that some players may have a Razor Naga and have buttons galore, but for those that don't? Do you guys literally keybind every ability?
    Yes? It's not hard to keybinds every ability you got, most people also got modifier macros that they keybind (for focus, party1-2-3, arena1-2-3 etc).
    Last edited by GrumpySanta; 2014-09-16 at 07:03 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    As for the minimap, Birg shows his UI's generally in combat. Now ask yourself, how much do you REALLY look at your minimap in combat, and what super critical info does it give at a glance? You're right, nothing.
    It shows you raid member positions, which can be useful for seeing where you can spread out to or where there's a lack of DPS coverage (like here, although I didn't do anything about it that time because that's a lot of effort for LFR). I also use the minimap to orient myself toward the next quest while still in the process of killing things for the current one while soloing. Those aren't huge things, but it's not useless.

Edit: I do agree about hiding the terrain part of the minimap, which I always do.
    Last edited by mmocf531e475c8; 2014-09-05 at 08:28 AM.

I use a Naga and there sno way I could learn all my keybindings and not have them on show. I have big hands so I have learnt that only using the top 9 buttons really makes things a lot easier to remember (which is made even easier as I use a Merc Stealth keyboard). With Ctrl and Shift modifier, I basically have 27 buttons easily at my disposal however I don't need anywhere near as many as that which is lucky as I play on so many different classes there's no way I can memorise all the keybindings but at least I only need 9 buttons on show at any given time (which change based on a modifier key-press).

Recently I accidentally hid my UI (Alt-Z) and was amazed that I could see the world around me without the distraction of the UI so since then I have been on a mission to de-clutter the UI so I have my main map keybound to "Q" and my minimap bound to "E" s they are both easily attainable whenever I need them and basically just decreased the size of everything!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hyuru View Post
    You should really break the habit of clicking your abilities, it will never be as fast as actually keybinding it, sure it will be "hard to get used to" but in the end it's worth it.
    Keybinding is of course better but I dont think its a problem having a few clickable buttons for abilites with long cooldowns. I myself have 3 in large buttons which I occasionally click and Im only losing a few milliseconds which may or may not be important in hardcore progression raiding. If someone plays only one class and thats it, it would be relatively easy to remember them all but I think a lot of players these days play so many classes it can be hard to bind and remember them all.

Still working on this. Because my aim is to have a truly multi purpose UI (unlike all my previous UIs), and it involves more custom artwork than usual... it's turning out to be a LOT of work. But I'm trying hard to fit in time to get going on it.

I found a much much better way to trigger the WeakAuras talent stuff than my previous macro method. You basically put the WeakAuras.ScanEvents code into a kgpanel that is parented to the Talent frame. That way you can invoke the talent frame however you want (keybind or micromenu button), and close it however you want (ESC, little X button, or keybind) and everything just follows along as it should.

PS - for the pixel spotters, I think these screenshots are missing a few rows of pixels on the bottom. Rushed photoshop cropping is the cause :-)
    Last edited by Kaitain; 2014-09-05 at 11:26 AM.

@magicaldandruff: I bind everything I can, yeah. Here's what my action bar setup looks like without hiding the bars (it's not the most elegant solution, but it's quite easy):

@Kaitain: I really appreciate seeing so much thought put into the cohesiveness of a UI. I really think it looks great. Nice work.

Regarding the minimap discussion: When I did raid, I definitely referenced it depending on the encounter (for example, setting a boss like Alysrazor as my focus to keep an eye on her position while I was on adds). I'm glad Constie came up with Radar, because it's a good solution to dealing with the awkwardness of where to place the minimap.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitain View Post
    Still working on this. Because my aim is to have a truly multi purpose UI (unlike all my previous UIs), and it involves more custom artwork than usual... it's turning out to be a LOT of work. But I'm trying hard to fit in time to get going on it.

I found a much much better way to trigger the WeakAuras talent stuff than my previous macro method. You basically put the WeakAuras.ScanEvents code into a kgpanel that is parented to the Talent frame. That way you can invoke the talent frame however you want (keybind or micromenu button), and close it however you want (ESC, little X button, or keybind) and everything just follows along as it should.

PS - for the pixel spotters, I think these screenshots are missing a few rows of pixels on the bottom. Rushed photoshop cropping is the cause :-)
    That talent frame is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuo View Post
    That talent frame is amazing.

Since lunchtime I found a 3D model for the background that has so many layers in one gorgeous, undulating model... it goes slightly beyond eye candy. It's more like eye crack.

Without being animated you'll have to imagine awesomeness. Rub crack into your eyeballs and stare at the screenshot and you'll be fairly close.

Downside: I can see myself being hypnotised by my talent frame when I have better things to do in game.

On a side note, it turns out you can run WoWModelViewer on a Bootcamp mac using the WoW install from the Mac partition. Yay! (Thanks Birg for the tutorial on basic WoWModelViewer model searching a while back.)
    Last edited by Kaitain; 2014-09-05 at 04:02 PM.

Deleted

Since lunchtime I found a 3D model for the background that has so many layers in one gorgeous, undulating model... it goes slightly beyond eye candy. It's more like eye crack.

Without being animated you'll have to imagine awesomeness. Rub crack into your eyeballs and stare at the screenshot and you'll be fairly close.

Downside: I can see myself being hypnotised by my talent frame when I have better things to do in game.

On a side note, it turns out you can run WoWModelViewer on a Bootcamp mac using the WoW install from the Mac partition. Yay! (Thanks Birg for the tutorial on basic WoWModelViewer model searching a while back.)
    My god... Please share!

10+ Year Old Account
    Sheesh, Kait...it's almost like you're playing a completely different game.

I mean that as compliment...you've essentially rebuilt the entire UI from the ground up and it's very attractive.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie.
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

I uh..I dont have words..

This is just next level.
    I for one CANNOT WAIT for this to be released :O

7+ Year Old Account
    Kait: Gorgeous! Such a fan of work! A question for you and others in the forum, when you play your healing classes do you find yourself limited in how you are able to configure your UI? I've tried different layouts, but I always find myself dragging my frames to the centre part of my screen and avoiding displaying buffs, CD's, and procs in creative ways (i.e. with WA models). This is mainly because since I am monitoring my frames so closely I feel it's much easier for me to miss when an important ability is ready or something has proc'd. I guess that's the art of UI design in general, balancing utility and aesthetics!
    Last edited by Bran; 2014-09-05 at 07:56 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bran View Post
    Kait: Gorgeous! Such a fan of work! A question for you and others in the forum, when you play your healing classes do you find yourself limited in how you are able to configure your UI? I've tried different layouts, but I always find myself dragging my frames to the centre part of my screen and avoiding displaying buffs, CD's, and procs in creative ways (i.e. with WA models). This is mainly because since I am monitoring my frames so closely I feel it's much easier for me to miss when an important ability is ready or something has proc'd. I guess that's the art of UI design in general, balancing utility and aesthetics!
    Sorta, I do end up putting my raid frames in a central position 90% of the time, but it doesn't take away from my WeakAuras etc. I actually think it's even more beneficial for a healer to make use of WA models, but that could just be my inexperience showing. I haven't mained a healer since ICC, and my only current healer is my gatherer Druid that I sometimes do LFR for satchels on.

I think as a Healer, you can forego regular unitframes for example, as raidframes cover all that info. You can use that space for some more creative aura displays.

I like the change to the front-facing camera angle on the talent frame model. Looking at your characters' back didn't make sense to me, but then again I've never played Borderlands (which was the inspiration, I believe?).

I like the change to the front-facing camera angle on the talent frame model. Looking at your characters' back didn't make sense to me, but then again I've never played Borderlands (which was the inspiration, I believe?).
    Ye, in Borderlands2 it's sort of like the UI is a hologram wall and your character is looking at it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3dh8Z926Rg#t=22

http://i.imgur.com/ovPHWM1.jpg its not much but it gets the job done.

EDIT:

in-combat:
    http://i.imgur.com/HPYZoCT.jpg
    Last edited by Faramos69; 2014-09-06 at 02:09 AM.

[snip]
    [snip]

You never fail to impress : D Happy to see how far along your talent frame has come! By the way, what parts of your code go into the panel- Just the /run WeakAuras.ScanEvents("EVN_O"), and that's listened for by weakauras?

Anywho, goooorgeous!

Cheers!
    -paese

Quote Originally Posted by Paese View Post
    You never fail to impress : D Happy to see how far along your talent frame has come! By the way, what parts of your code go into the panel- Just the /run WeakAuras.ScanEvents("EVN_O"), and that's listened for by weakauras? -paese
    just
    Code:
    WeakAuras.ScanEvents("EVN_O")
    (without /run) is in the script window for onShow and onHide for the panel that is providing the main background black for the talent frame. That and all the other kgpanel bits are parented and anchored to PlayerTalentFrame.
    Last edited by Kaitain; 2014-09-06 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Felwaffles View Post
    http://i.imgur.com/ovPHWM1.jpg its not much but it gets the job done.

EDIT:

in-combat:
    http://i.imgur.com/HPYZoCT.jpg
    Multiple timers all showing the same thing.
    Different fonts used throughout the UI, pick one and use it.

just my 2c

Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Multiple timers all showing the same thing.
    Different fonts used throughout the UI, pick one and use it.

just my 2c
    Still in the process of setting it up. Gonna look terrible for a bit.