Thread: Post Your UI

Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    I know this sort of thing isn't widely posted around here since everyone's a pro, but getting response from accomplished UI creators is pretty encouraging.
    If you want to clip elements of a UI from, say, a screenshot, I would strongly recommend using the Pen Tool in Photoshop to create your selection. Do a bit of googling for pen tool selection tutorials (sorry, I'm bad at directing people unless I can see their screen as they're doing things) and you'll see what I mean! I used to use it to remove the backgrounds from photos of cast members at a previous job.

My UI is done now only that i change in the Future will be Skada to Details!

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Why do you have unitframes above your bars when you're dps?
    I'd move unitframes next to minimap or something

Because the whole Minimap Left Side are for my Traget Frame, Target Traget Frame and Vertical Boss Frames.

The Raid Frames are small and i have many Place to see that happend in the Fight.

And its a all for one UI all Classes all Roles. i love it because i see all that i need and have much Place to Beware from Abiltys

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Everlu View Post
    If you want to clip elements of a UI from, say, a screenshot, I would strongly recommend using the Pen Tool in Photoshop to create your selection. Do a bit of googling for pen tool selection tutorials (sorry, I'm bad at directing people unless I can see their screen as they're doing things) and you'll see what I mean! I used to use it to remove the backgrounds from photos of cast members at a previous job.
    I'll look into it right now, thank you!
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Deleted
    A little video showing my Interface and what not. Hope you guys like it

Quote Originally Posted by Constie View Post
    This thread should definitely just be endless variations of UIs like mine instead.
    Is that EventHorizon in your December 2014 UI? Regardless - I like them all!

Quote Originally Posted by Atwood View Post
    Because the whole Minimap Left Side are for my Traget Frame, Target Traget Frame and Vertical Boss Frames.

The Raid Frames are small and i have many Place to see that happend in the Fight.

And its a all for one UI all Classes all Roles. i love it because i see all that i need and have much Place to Beware from Abiltys

Where do you have your pet's unit frame?

Quote Originally Posted by Prag View Post
    Is that EventHorizon in your December 2014 UI? Regardless - I like them all!
    It's Singularity. There's a list of visible addons for each of them.
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

Banana no need to see the Life/Frame of the Pet Actionbar is enough to see is my Pet alive or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Went back to my Witcher idea with renewed vigor! I'm encountering some weirdness though:

The top one was the first texture I added, doesn't look very clean on the medallion. I went back and erased all the little bits and nearly transparent pixels, didn't change anything else, saved a new TGA and loaded it into WeakAuras, and it looks like it shifted to the right. I'm not using drop shadows or anything.

Very strange, not sure why it did this. Will fool around with it for a bit. What do you guys do to try and perfect the images you're cutting out? I'm basically just using the marquee tool to delete, then erasing everything surrounding my bulky marquee selection. Stick another empty later on there, an alpha channel as well, save as a TGA, bam.

Edit: I figured it out. My Alpha channel was not centered:

One more thing. Is there a faster way to see my newly added textures than exiting/logging into the game over and over and over?
    Last edited by MonsieuRoberts; 2015-06-20 at 03:31 AM.
    [/url]

When I'm removing a huge portion of pixels from an image I use a completely black painted layer to to catch individual pixels I might have missed. Here is an example of what I mean:

Normal PS:

Black layer enabled:

Helpful sometimes because those little pixels will stand out when it gets converted to tga

One more thing. Is there a faster way to see my newly added textures than exiting/logging into the game over and over and over?
    Nope. I could've sworn you used to be able to add new tga's without having to restart in past versions, but others tell me I imagined it all.

If your goal is just to "view" it outside of the game, I recommend Irfanview. Opening it anything else like Photoshop will still show the alpha channel and all the weird shit that goes with the conversion process. I haven't used it in a while though, so I could be wrong entirely.
    Last edited by magicaldandruff; 2015-06-20 at 04:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Black background works great, thanks
    [/url]

Deleted
    Why use .tga over .blp? There is even a photoshop plugin for .blp (http://www.wowinterface.com/download...Photoshop.html)

That photoshop .blp plugin is great. It makes it nice and easy to edit the extracted interface files. :-)

The pen tool is indeed the correct tool for any detailed selection work, because:

- it can do bezier curves as well as straight lines. Ninjas/Jedi can pull that off freehand, but I can't
    - You can easily go back and edit the selection if it's not perfect
    - your selection gets saved!! and you can do more than one (remember to rename the path in the paths panel. If you leave it as "Work Path" it gets overwritten by the next one you make)
    - the magic wand tool often performs like Ron Weasley's wand.

If you/others have many more questions about Photoshop or any other interface tools, maybe start a thread just for that. It might even be sticky-worthy.

In terms of inspiration for game UIs: other game UIs. You don't even need to play the games, just screenshot stuff for ideas on youtube and stuff. And given that our WoW UIs are non-professional non-profit stuff, you can just rip off ideas to your hearts content*. The change of context alone will add a lot of originality to it. I personally have a pinterest board to gather ideas: https://www.pinterest.com/kaitainleighton/game-ui/

* - and of course copying is the cornerstone of pretty much all art and design. Just acknowledge your sources then do it better than them :-)
    Last edited by Kaitain; 2015-06-20 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miiru View Post
    Why use .tga over .blp? There is even a photoshop plugin for .blp (http://www.wowinterface.com/download...Photoshop.html)
    The first reason would be habit, I guess. The second reason would be that the alternative method I use to make an alpha channel/deal with messy alpha edges doesn't work with blp. But you Photoshop wizards probably don't have that problem. Other than file size, are there other benefits to choosing blp over tga?
    Last edited by magicaldandruff; 2015-06-20 at 10:32 AM.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Trying a new thing, here's a small video of my progress:

Note: Yes, I forgot to change font on nameplates and nameplates buffs.

Now, I could use some advice.
    I've been staring at this all day with little to no progress, here's my issues.

1. Where do I put TargetofTarget, Focus and Petframe? I've thought about putting them below the Player frame, but that causes issue 2.
    2. Where do I put buffs like trinkets, weapon procs, heroism etc. When I'm planning to put BigWigs bars roughly where PetFrame appears in the video and BossFrames on the opposite side.

Raid frames will be in the lower right along with Skada.

Quote Originally Posted by Zungate View Post
    Trying a new thing, here's a small video of my progress:

Note: Yes, I forgot to change font on nameplates and nameplates buffs.

Now, I could use some advice.
    I've been staring at this all day with little to no progress, here's my issues.

1. Where do I put TargetofTarget, Focus and Petframe? I've thought about putting them below the Player frame, but that causes issue 2.
    2. Where do I put buffs like trinkets, weapon procs, heroism etc. When I'm planning to put BigWigs bars roughly where PetFrame appears in the video and BossFrames on the opposite side.

Raid frames will be in the lower right along with Skada.
    my friend (who does a lot of arena, pvp, and raiding, as opposed to me who pretty much just enjoys questing) tells me that the focus frame is one of her most important things and that she likes to have it right above or below the target frame and she likes the cast bar for it to be detached and kind of front and center as far as being more so than the target cast bar
    i like my procs right in my face kind of above where the loss of control is in the default UI
    some ppl don't really care about the target of target frame and i know i never use it so i don't really have any thing to say about that one lol
    and i really like my pet bar to be fairly close to my player frame so that i can keep an eye on it
    of course that depends on which combat text i am using as some of them can be configured to tell u when pets are dying or close to it, so i don't always have a pet frame either... but i do most of the time

looking at ur UI i would prolly put the focus frame to the right and the pet to the left maybe
    it's pretty compact and neat!
    Last edited by the9thresident; 2015-06-21 at 01:06 AM.

Haven't read the thread so sorry if it's already been said.

What you can do is save multiple .tga files in a media folder. Then just overwrite those current ones with the new one you want (you'll have to keep the names though) and you can simply /reload to update them ingame.

Maybe.
    The game client will only recognise files that existed when it was stated, so adding new files will require the full restart.
    However you could use placeholder images, and then replacing them keeping the same file names.
    A reload of the UI should then be sufficient for the replacements to be picked up.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.