Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Asking users to install software is FAIL

Why the qq.

Octoshape's EULA, amongst other things, prohibits the user from monitoring their own data traffic, or utilising the records that their firewall or anti-virus software may record.

Being closed source software prevents the internal functions of the software from being publicly examined for hidden functions and other security problems.

Shifts the broadcaster's share of the cost of bandwidth to the listeners instead by running servers on the listeners' machines. ( we are paying for mmo's stream, awesome!, welcome to the future of the internet 1 step at a time!)

May degrade the listener's network uplink connection due to the extra bandwidth load of the server component.

Octoshape reserves the right to expand the scope of what its software does on listener's computers.

Octoshape installs itself in your as a start-up program

Octosh*t is run by the goons at Akamai who also own Acerno, a behavioral targeting firm.

Getting the picture now?

Maybe some people don't want this sh*t in thier computer and actually care, ever think about that?

Quote Originally Posted by blackwater
    Why the qq.

Octoshape's EULA, amongst other things, prohibits the user from monitoring their own data traffic, or utilising the records that their firewall or anti-virus software may record.

Being closed source software prevents the internal functions of the software from being publicly examined for hidden functions and other security problems.

Shifts the broadcaster's share of the cost of bandwidth to the listeners instead by running servers on the listeners' machines. ( we are paying for mmo's stream, awesome!, welcome to the future of the internet 1 step at a time!)

May degrade the listener's network uplink connection due to the extra bandwidth load of the server component.

Octoshape reserves the right to expand the scope of what its software does on listener's computers.

Octoshape installs itself in your as a start-up program

Octosh*t is run by the goons at Akamai who also own Acerno, a behavioral targeting firm.

Getting the picture now?

Maybe some people don't want this sh*t in thier computer and actually care, ever think about that?

but on the upside MMO-champ is a totally utterly secure site and tehres no way in hell any enterprising gold selling firm might want to try and hack it to tag a key logger onto this software. i mean it isnt the perfect back door or anything

fortunately i see arena as blizzards white whale so its of no interest to me ill just go elsewhere for forums and news till this is over

But on the upside MMO-champ is a totally utterly secure site and tehres no way in hell any enterprising gold selling firm might want to try and hack it to tag a key logger onto this software. i mean it isnt the perfect back door or anything
    Not everything is directly related to wow especially when it comes to dumping the cost on the end user and monitoring their behavior with closed source software.

I hear nagging people to install plugins - which don't even work on other platforms - every time you refresh the main page is a good user experience. Standards are made for a reason.

In before MMO Defense Force -- Oh wait.
    I'm in the "I don't have an obnoxiously large signature" club.

I dont care what streams mmo-champ uses, or what streams blizzard uses.
    What I do care, is the choice of doing, or not doing anything.

If I choose not to install x program, that should be final. While I'm sure its not intentional, but the way mmo-champ decided to put that stream right on the front page. It gets annoying to decline installation/download EVERYTIME I load up mmo-champion. Not to mention, half the time, you cannot even click on Decline for at least 30 seconds after its popped up and blocking EVERYTHING.

If they make lots of money from thier contract w/ MLG, all the better. But it DOES annoy the heck out of me every single time the window greys out and I need to decline it each time.

It would be a much decision to just have the stream on another page, with a link (hell, make it a large image like how much space it takes out now, double it even, but a image non the less) to it on the main page.

Quote Originally Posted by Briggs
    Then what is the "Suggestions and Feedback" forum for. Think then post fuckface.
    there's nothing constructive about this feedback at all, nor is there any suggestion. i suggest you follow your own advice.

Wow... this thread is fail

At first I was confused. Then I realized that NoScript blocks all of this so all I see continuously is the main page. You guys should try it out.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account

I don't care that we have to install a plugin if we want to use the live stream.

I DO care about not being able to click the "No thanks"-button while the entire page is locked down preventing me from using any of the other utilities.

It's like a survey asking you which party you favour the most: Labour or Union, but Labour is the only answer on the survey.

If you want the live stream on the front page, then at least make it as an iframe so the install pop-up don't block the rest of the site content.

Who cares? If you want it, take it. If you don't, cancel it. I cancelled it and it never came back. Maybe you guys should use a better internet browser?
    /Zetsumei

Deleted

Enough of this.

It will be removed in a couple of days guys, there's really no need to flame on top of each other; that goes for both sides. I'm sorry if it's annoying for some, it won't be here long.
    Meanwhile, if you just want the news, feel free to visit only http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?board=2.0 - or to get mmo-champion.com on an rss client (such as http://reader.google.com). Right now, there's nothing we can do about this stream. Again, it won't be here long.

Also, it only works on windows/mac I guess...

*Skims thread*

Any reason you lot aren't using Firefox and NoScript? That way nothing installs itself that you don't want.
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpy View Post
    Ya i think Karadros got it right sadly..
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRagebear View Post
    Sylvanas is flawless and should be canonized as a saint.