Poll: Spam Holy Light or Flash Of Light

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Holy Pala: How to heal MT?

My Pala will turn 80 in some days. I would like to get some advice from the pro pala healer :-*

I would like to play my pala as a healer healing MT (there aren't much more options are there? )

1. Which spell should I use? HL or FoL? Or should I use both incuding Holy Shock?
    2. What should my equip be like? (crit, haste, reg, etc.)
    3. What gems should I used? Just int? Or spell?
    4. What glyphes should I use? (most definitely HL I guess )

Thanks for your help. ;D

Re: Holy Pala: How to heal MT?

1. I use a mixx of FoL and HoL, bascily just FoL spam when the damage on the tank isnt that high, but anticipate when a tank is getting larger hits and go HoL. You might even want to overheal just 1 HoL so the cast is 0,5 sec shorter(holy grace(talent)).

2. Try and get gear with int crit + haste. Mp5 isnt good atm(or atleast not needed) but will get a buff in 3.2 so just roll on it imo.

3. Go for int and crit atm int is the better one here though, spellpower is useless imo.

4. go for Glyph of Holy light, Seal of wisdom or light(I prefer wisdom the light is just overhealing imo), and glyph of divinity.

Hope this sums some things up.

Get a boss swing timer and do stuff.

Sounds reasonable @alk
    Now I'm just wondering if it is possible to MT-heal a boss fight, spamming HL without going oom? I mean HL costs a sh!t load of mana compared to FoL.

Thats why ya spam FoL when hes not getting large amount of damage ;p.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild
    Sounds reasonable @alk
    Now I'm just wondering if it is possible to MT-heal a boss fight, spamming HL without going oom? I mean HL costs a sh!t load of mana compared to FoL.
    As a fresh 80, yes you'll go oom spamming Holy Light.

If you have lots of replenish in your group HL spam becomes almost unstopable, if you don't have lots of it, your going to have 'manage' a bit more.

Your almost never going to be healing the MT alone(unless in 10mans), so FoL/Shock spam is usually going to do the job just fine. Provided your partner(s) can keep it up too, and your tank doesn't do stupid stuff like show his back to Steelbreaker moving from runes..

Thanks a lot for your advice. I guess holy pala won't be as boring after all.. I really thought that a MT-healer only spams HL until the boss dies. But it seems that you can use a variety of spells, also using beacon to raid heal (using HL on DDs that are below 50%) and with the new patch, I hear that beacon will also include the overhealing?!
    Im really looking forward to try this healer class out. (cos i been playing resto as main raid healer).

I spam flash of light on the tank and anticipate the big hits (such as VoA when one of the ads enrage) and then start casting Holy Light. My flashes crit for 7k or more raid buffed, so yours might crit for around 5k.

Spamming Holy light is dumb unless you have the gear for it. Holy light mana cost reduction libram, t7 4 set bonus, and high crit make Holy Light spamming throught the fight feasible.

I use PVP glyphs since I'm prot/PVP heals spec but if I were holy spec and a fresh 80 I might use something like:
    1. seal of wisdom
    2. flash of light (pretty useless with SS proc up, I know)
    3. divinity (even though I never go anywhere close to oom)

For minors you gotta make sure you pick up the lay on hands glyph that reduces the CD on it by 5 minutes. Seal of wisdom and blessing of kings are the other 2 that I use.

I really don't see much use from glyph of holy light, I'm pretty sure most of it is overhealing. Leave the raid healing to all the other healing classes which are actually meant for it. However, I am sure it would be a nice glyph to have for heroics and even 10 mans.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Quote Originally Posted by nwo
    I really don't see much use from glyph of holy light, I'm pretty sure most of it is overhealing. Leave the raid healing to all the other healing classes which are actually meant for it. However, I am sure it would be a nice glyph to have for heroics and even 10 mans.
    It's a good glyph and it's use varies from fight to fight. On our last Hodir kill in 25man 60% of my total healing done (not counting overhealing) was from HL and almost 25% from the Glyph.
    With the upcoming changes to Beacon of Light we'll be able to use the Glyph even more since we now can throw HL on people that's actually standing in (the glyph's) range of others.

I'm using Divinity, Seal of Wisdom and Holy Light with Lay on Hands as the only minor worth mentioning. Healing style differs a lot from fight to fight, on fights where I can rely on using DP now and then and/or I'm able to throw a couple of hits on the boss after an instant cast (HS, Judgement, SS, Beacon, FoL after HS crit) to regen mana from SoW I mostly spam HL just because I can, on other fights where mana return are more limited (such as Thorim) I mostly spam FoL and then use HS or HL when needed.

How you heal a MT will depend to a large degree on the makeup of the raid in general and the tank specifically.

If your tank is a beast, you don't need to spam all the time.

If your raid can burn stuff down very quickly, you might find yourself spamming more because the fight will be over soon -- so why not?

Certain fights will have aspects to them that require massive heals quickly -- examples are frozen blows on hodir or plasma blast on Mimiron.

These are fight mechanics that as a healer you have to learn to anticipate and heal accordingly.

In general, as is mentioned above, you want to sort of idle with flash of light for "normal" damage. If you see yourself beginning to fall behind, crit a holy shock on the tank and also give him an instant FoL, then follow up with holy light if needed.

Keep in mind that we benefit from Light's Grace (Gives your Holy Light spell a 100% chance to reduce the cast time of your next Holy Light spell by 0.5 sec. This effect lasts 15 sec.). So if you know you will need to start casting holy lights soon, start early! Get that buff up so when the tank really needs it, you are landing those holy lights more quickly.

Also, learn to use Hand of Sacrifice and Aura Mastery to mitigate tank damage for events during a boss fight when appropriate.

Doing so can save a ton of mana and keep the tank up in some sticky situations.

EDIT: For glyphs I also like divinity, SoW, and HL. I recently tried messing around with holy shock and it was fun. If I were unable to sustain holy light for a long period of time I would probably take that over HL. On the other hand -- tossing away our only group heal is really hard to do...I found myself missing it a lot when I did not have it.

imo, what's important when healing the MT is what you DON'T cast on the MT

ie, beacon the OT, use holy shock on raid members with low hp... etc to help the others healers.

On the MT, keep SS up, alternate FoL / HL or full HL spam, it's kinda uncomplicated. Remember to never stop casting something on the MT for more than 2 GCDs, thou. Those double hits instagibs call for premptive healing ^^
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...fknight/simple
    Can Heal, Tank, DPS, and go AFK like no other.

Quote Originally Posted by Proffessor
    If you have lots of replenish in your group HL spam becomes almost unstopable, if you don't have lots of it, your going to have 'manage' a bit more.

Your almost never going to be healing the MT alone(unless in 10mans), so FoL/Shock spam is usually going to do the job just fine. Provided your partner(s) can keep it up too, and your tank doesn't do stupid stuff like show his back to Steelbreaker moving from runes..
    /fail
    Ok im new to hotkeying so im most likely doing something wrong.

I can hotkey alt to anything but the function keys. I can do alt+f1, f2, f3 but when i get to f4 it crashes my game EVERY TIME! Its annoying because I have to reset all my hotkeys cuz a game crash doesnt save them. Please fix soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Mutin
    /fail
    Informative, and very helpful.

Care to elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by Proffessor
    Informative, and very helpful.

Care to elaborate?
    I sure do. First of all, it's called replenishment, not replenish. Second of all, it doesn't stack, therefore you can either have replenishment or not. Almost every raid has replenishment, since alot of classes bring it.

You can heal the MT alone, i can fx. heal the steelbreaker tank alone (not hardmode) if you use HL. Ofc. you crossheal the raid with Holy Shocks and instant Flashes now and then, but HL is the way to go on the tank.
    Using fol to heal the tank is fail.
    Ok im new to hotkeying so im most likely doing something wrong.

I can hotkey alt to anything but the function keys. I can do alt+f1, f2, f3 but when i get to f4 it crashes my game EVERY TIME! Its annoying because I have to reset all my hotkeys cuz a game crash doesnt save them. Please fix soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Mutin
    Using fol to heal the tank is fail.
    Only if the tank can't survive if you're casting FoL.

Paladins spamming HL on the tank and saying that any other healing strategy is fail is exactly what the 3.2 patch will be about, it will separate the good paladins from the bad paladins. At the moment good paladins can keep an eye on the raid and help out with raidhealing (differs a lot between fights how much you can actually do this) and still keep the tank alive, while the bad paladins stand at the same spot casting HL on the tank while saying "lol I have infinite mana, I am the best HL-bot of them all"

In 3.2 the good paladins will be the ones that can decide when to use HL and when to use FoL, the bad paladins will be the ones lying dead on the floor because they couldn't keep the tank up without 60% Illumination.

ummm good healers do that now.

The problem is come 3.2 we'll be doing it with illum nerfed by 50% forcing us to use FoL more and DP'ing more, except that a FoL with DP up isn't going to keep tanks up on hard encounters so we'll have to HL through them but now we lack the mana regen to sustain it.

The end result is that other healers will just have to pick up the slack.

Kutos Raniz

why spam HL if its not needed?? i mean 6-7k FoL with a 30% (judgin off you at least have all heroic epics or better)(if better and spec'd right 40% ) chance to crit plus SS's extra 50% chance to crit with well gear'd char (haste) and the 15% from JotP..
    FoL almost becomes instant (might as well be) and crits constantly... if you start to lose ground you have HL spam, Holy Shock, LoH.. all those good things + full mana still..

Like said below... the illum nerf is going to suck but the good healers will pull though (easily) and the nubs will have to figure out how to really play a holy pally (after they oom and wipe the raid a few times).

Go look up some of Aurelius' movies... take notes on pally healin..