Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Recent Living Bomb and Hot Streak Changes

Update - The Trial of the Crusader Loot List is now complete with all the items from 10-Man, 10-Man Hard, 25-Man, and 25-Man Hard Modes + Tribute Chests!

Recent Living Bomb and Hot Streak Changes
    [blizzquote="Crygil;http://blue.mmo-champion.com/4/19110153306-recent-living-bomb-and-hot-streak-changes.html"]During the 3.2 development cycle, players reported the bug that Hot Streak did not trigger from Living Bomb critical periodic damage. Initially, we made the decision to continue preventing Hot Streak from triggering. This resulted in the “non-periodic" text being added to the Hot Streak tooltip. Late in the 3.2 cycle, the decision was revisited, and Hot Streak was allowed to trigger from Living Bomb periodic damage, but too late to correct the tooltip. However, around the same time, Living Bomb was changed to be allowed on multiple targets per Mage.

In addition, our QA team discovered a 3.2.0 live bug that periodic damage from Fireball and Frostfire Bolt was being counted toward breaking the Hot Streak (as these could never crit). In discussion yesterday, we determined that with multiple targets per Mage, Living Bomb periodic damage triggering Hot Streak was too powerful. However, we still liked Living Bomb being used on multiple targets and didn’t want to change that. Instead, yesterday (Wed Aug 5) we hotfixed Hot Streak so it could no longer be triggered by periodic damage, resolving both the bug with Fireball and Frostfire Bolt, and the balance concern with Living Bomb. In the course of that hotfix, a data error was introduced which caused the non-periodic damage from Fireball and Frostfire Bolt to never break the Hot Streak streaks on non-crits. That data error was corrected with a hotfix this morning (Thr Aug 6).

Final result:
    Host Streak triggers exactly as stated in its tooltip: “2 non-periodic spell criticals in a row using Fireball, Fire Blast, Scorch, Living Bomb, or Frostfire Bolt”. Only non-periodic damage interacts with it, and only those spells listed. Periodics do not affect the streak in any way. Direct damage from the listed spells always count, for or against the streak.

Sorry for any confusion that resulted from us not posting this sooner. We’ve been making many fixes since 3.2 went live this week.

Re: Recent Living Bomb and Hot Streak Changes

LB ticks to trigger Hot Streak was too powerful imo. But i like the idea of multiple living bombs!

I'm pretty cool with this balance fix.. Multi target LB is more than enough.
    NO LOOT FOR YOU!

Host Streak? Sounds like something you see at a good party.

..and the balance concern with Living Bomb
    It wasn't OP in any way! It put mages back where they should always have been. It's a cloth-wearing pure DPS class, so why shouldn't it be allowed to have as high DPS as any rogue or hunter?..

If they really want to fix this in a reasonable way, they should make LB single-target again, but make hot streak proc from the dot crits.

What the f@#$ was that? Did this thread really start with 3 kudos from mages about a mage nerf? I... I think I need to go sit down.

EDIT: Turns out im already sitting down.
    I'm afraid we have a slight apocalypse on our hands

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account

I would have preferred them removing the multiple targets, but oh well. Either way, it was a little OP. Maybe I'm just lazy, looking for less things to manage
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

Quote Originally Posted by LQkke
    It wasn't OP in any way! It put mages back where they should always have been.
    Are you serious? I saw a mage do 8.5k DPS in the new 5-man, as she was just spamming Pyroblast the entire time. It needed a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajaxthegreat
    Are you serious? I saw a mage do 8.5k DPS in the new 5-man, as she was just spamming Pyroblast the entire time. It needed a change.
    Sounds like you're laying it on a bit thick there.. I didn't experience such a huge boost at all.
    I don't see how it's possible in a 5-man instance unless you have like 70% crit.

at least make hot streak proc from pyroblast aswell or something - the only fights where we will be competitive now will be on fights with multiple targets (uhh... trash)

Quote Originally Posted by LQkke
    Sounds like you're laying it on a bit thick there.. I didn't experience such a huge boost at all.
    I don't see how it's possible in a 5-man instance unless you have like 70% crit.
    The periodic damage could trigger hot streak with the glyph, but it couldn't break it. So if the periodic damage went Crit, non-crit, Crit without any other casting in between, she would get a hot streak. Certainly non intended, and she was just spamming pyro and laughing.

Would she be able to duplicate this everytime? Doubtful. But in makes for poor balancing for this to be allowed.

The periodic damage could trigger hot streak with the glyph, but it couldn't break it. So if the periodic damage went Crit, non-crit, Crit without any other casting in between, she would get a hot streak. Certainly non intended, and she was just spamming pyro and laughing.

Would she be able to duplicate this everytime? Doubtful. But in makes for poor balancing for this to be allowed.
    As you point out yourself, it's completely random. But so are many of the things triggering hot streak..
    Maybe they could make a fix, disabling every other hot streak from LB dot crit. That would deal with the worst randomness, while still leaving a pretty nice dps boost.

Uhm.. does this mean that the final tick of LB can't trigger HS anymore? If so, this is a major nerf for raiding mages, since the amount of bosses you cast (or can afford the mana to cast) multiple LB's are so few.. :-\

sounds like 3.2 still needed a few more days at the PTR after all

Quote Originally Posted by Duticyaa
    at least make hot streak proc from pyroblast aswell or something - the only fights where we will be competitive now will be on fights with multiple targets (uhh... trash)
    I totally agree with you! most boss fights are single target and now we cant get hot streak from LB ticks this change is just totally useless. Thanks blizzard for giving us false hope.

trash or pvp with living bomb multi crit hs was like:

tab trash/players and place 10 living bombs.
    after 6 or 8 living bombs were placed, hot streak started procc

now you could chose,
    AOE + final ticks from living bombs
    or endless instant pyros to 1 focus target

both resulted in 15-25k dps over 10sec in both, pvp and pve if targets stood close to each others
    so its about 30% higher than 3.1 aoe.
    maybe too much, but shouldnt mages be the best aoe class as stated?

therefor we were indeed glasscanons. real glasscannons. for 1 day

this was great fun to play.
    just lower pyro ignite dmg or lower pyro dmg, or bring HS proccs something like "2 times in a row = 1HS, within next 5sec you need 3 times in a row for another one" dont know

but this was great gameplay. much more flexible, much more spontanous, much more diffrent, much more difficult.

it really rocked.

oh, and it wasnt really that uber in pvp.
    ppl just had stay away from each others

and because you only could do this in deep fire specc, you died faster than you could possibly imagin

got 2shot by rogues, retris, warrs in under 2 seconds
    even with endless instant pyros i would still need 3 :P

Quote Originally Posted by bug
    oh, and it wasnt really that uber in pvp.
    ppl just had stay away from each others

and because you only could do this in deep fire specc, you died faster than you could possibly imagine

got 2shot by rogues, retris, warrs in under 2 seconds
    even with endless instant pyros i would still need 3 :P

zomg in the new 5 man with lots of adds?!?!?! no wai?!?!!? holy fuck, thank god mage single target dps is still strong..../le sigh

people need to understand what matters in end game boss encounters: single target DPS.

nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu! :'(

mage damage is gonna go from shit to omg whats the point in mages being in raids lets just get locks !

:'(

major nerf for mages in my eyes.

altho i must say me and a few my guildies have been farming 5man normal ToC for abyss crystals & too see what boss memories we can get to spawn.

and on the 2nd boss when all those mobs come in. we just gather them up and i tab and lb all the targets doing like 6K crits over and over and hot streak triggers liked 8+ times, and with 4/5 mage t8.5 bonus it doesnt always use the proc. and end up getting 4 in a row.

so wonder how hard it will be to get fireball to proc hot streak . . .