Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Re: paladins: what do you love about your class?

The are ups and downs for each class and everyone also has a personal opinion.

Overall, we have amazing lore, at least much better than other classes. Then each spec is widely used. Many Paladin tanks in raids and instances and they are good, Retribution is finally good DPS and also many use it and holy Paladins are demanded as well. Only bad side is you need different gear for all three and even more different gear for for PvP. So if you want to do PvP and PvE with at least two specs, that is four sets of gear, with three specs it is six. personally I have Holy and Retribution for PvE and Retribution for PvP and I get annoyed keeping three sets.

I also like the spells, I think they are pretty unique and fun. The auras are imba and the 20% mount one does make a difference at least more on ground mounts.

Bad side is that you mentioned you want to play ret, there are so many ret paladins out there, it is hard to get a good spot in a raiding guild where always demanded since there are so many out there, one of the reasons why I put ret spec aside to second spec and took holy as main spec, it was more demanded. I would recommend going tank/holy and ret as second for dailies and questing. Dunno about tanking spec, but you can slap yourself from the slow kills in holy (at least compared to ret speed).

Also Paladin tends to be a more simple class to play (especially in holy), yet I still think it is important. Most of the time any other class out heals a holy paladin in raids, but with decent gear paladins deliver imba casts that others can't. Over 20k heals in one click is no problem. Also, this situation is not important, but the trash on Mimiron where you can capture a spider (you start out with low health) and spam heal him, you can do amazing HPS. A friend did over 12k and I got to 10.5k (then ran out of mana and went down to 8k), but that is ofcourse spamming an elite mob with low health, you would never be able to do that during a proper boss encounter or when I had a trinket proc, put on wings at the same time and got my crits up to 33.5k in one spell cast, pretty imba. But these are both non encounter situations, just shows that single target healing is pretty powerful and most guilds prefer a Paladin healing the MT or the OT, but when it comes to raids most of it goes to overheal or you get cut off since other class' aoe healing is quicker than yours. You also virtually never run out of mana though. Hopefully with the beacon buff in 3.2, the raid healing would be much better. Also plate and a shield (if holy) is nice time to time.

I personally love this class the most even though I did not play much of other classes (mage was main in Vanilla and TBC and in TBC tried druid and shaman for a week or two at level 70 and was not a fan of them). Try it, maybe you would like it.

Versatility.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilgemesh
    Your bubble is your umbrella, it shields your body from all the big QQ's that fall from the sky like rain, then you live long enough to see your enemies soak up all the QQ tears with their faces...
    And yes he was absolutely right, everyone else can suck the bubble... suck it... ya...
    Now that crying is daily trouble
    Know that we'll still have to cuddle
    You can stand under my bubble

(ubble ubble, eh eh eh)
    Under my bubble
    (ubble ubble, eh eh eh)
    Under my bubble
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Artefacts:
    • In ordner to better fit the current post-truth zeitgeist, we are going to rename alle occurences of "artefact" into "artebelieve".

Quote Originally Posted by Astray
    Now that crying is daily trouble
    Know that we'll still have to cuddle

(ubble ubble, eh eh eh)
    Under my bubble
    (ubble ubble, eh eh eh)
    Under my bubble
    U AR WINZ !
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoopie
    this change is to help players like you..... you know..night elf with tyrannical beheader...

Azharok - Dalaran EU

Quote Originally Posted by Ronark
    But druids are elves >.>
    *COUGH*

I'm a little pally short and stout
    Here is my hammer and here is my mount
    When i get all beat up hear me shout "Help"
    Then i bubble hearth out.

works best for dwarfs, but i still have it on my unfortunate belf(prefer lore of alliance, but too many friends play horde)

Quote Originally Posted by gibborim
    I like how alliance side paladins are allowed to chose from races with relavent abilities >.> and Horde pallies just get stuck with the useless BElfs.

Time spent remounting < Time saved by flying 20% faster than druids.

I can't even remember the last time I saw a Feral tank something. I think it was sometime between the first big WotLK druid armor nerf and when they stole all your Hps.
    I completely disagree with your alliance>horde assessment. I played a human pally for two years, hence the username Prentice (you can look him up on Daggerspine). I hate how dwarves look, got tired of being one of a trillion blonde haired humans, and... I could never be a draenei because their male counterparts are the most ridiculous thing in all of WoW.

So, when WotLK came out I decided to reroll. Since Perception got nerfed, there isn't a racial better than Arcane Torrent for paladins. For PvE, it can give you back enough mana to judge to proc JotW for even more mana. As far as PvP goes, Arcane Torrent has won more games for me than you can imagine. Rerolling was a very smart move for me. You can try to justify Every Man for Himself, but there are so many dual purpose trinkets now that I don't see this as being a big deal.

Unlike most, I have the balls to post my Armory link in my signature. If you look, you'll see that my arena rating is something like 1336. Arena is fun for me and my partner, we were playing to get our relics for PvE purposes, and we've only been playing once a week for two weeks. I will not claim to be a PvP god, but getting a silence when the priest/shaman/pally is low is priceless.

Win7(64)Pro - Intel 3770K @ 4.5GHz - 4x4GB DDR3 G Skill Ripjaws X - XFX Radeon HD 7970 - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

25 ret pallies can possibly run nax lol
    nerfs tickle at best
    people who reroll or quit due to nerfs are sissys

I love the tears from teh QQers :'(
    Makes excellent polish to my Ret gearz
    Most classes spend their entire /played time wondering if they made a difference.
    Paladins don't have that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by kainron
    25 ret pallies can possibly run nax lol
    FAIL!

My alt is pally..I love he is op class.retri is op,i hate a bit holy healing style,i lvl him for prote
    You can't use this while stunned.

my pally is still in the process of being leveled, but i was in the middle of a 6 mob pull (love prot pallies) and my doorbell rang, i came back 10 minutes later with about 8 corpses and a pally at 3/4 hp

I like it being twohander wielding class with both offensive and defensive spells and melee attacks. It is the kind of character I always play in other RPGs. The class just feels right for me.

Plus the tons of awesome lore surrounding the class.
    Jaded and cynical bastard, plain and simple.

What I love about my class is the hot redhead

Also its nice how the paladin becomes a new class every 6 months... that's cool too
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluck View Post
    2pc: An awesome looking set of wings appears and flaps once from time to time.
    4pc: Doubles the chance of the 2pc bonus occurring.

Survivability-you can live through a lot since you wear plate, you can heal yourself, LoH emergency heal, Bubble, stun... you just don't die much.
    Versatility-you're a hybrid that can heal tank or dps. If you get tired of doing one, you can switch. You can use basically any armor though I'd only recommend wearing cloth/leather/mail as holy (maybe some leather/mail as ret if the stats are good enough).
    Useful-you bring several buffs to the raid with blessings and auras. Also a wipe protection with DI. As ret you can throw a heal occasionally to help out if needed without having to switch forms or waste huge amounts of mana. You bring other support with Hand of Freedom and Protection, or even a taunt now and then to take agro off clothies. And again LoH can be used in any spec to save a tank.
    Soloability-as prot you can solo old instances (I've even solo'd UK except for the first boss that chain iceblocks you) and take on quite a few mobs at once, especially if they're undead. Holy can usually slowly kill things while healing themselves through the mobs beating on them. Ret is probably the hardest to solo things; it usually turns into a race to kill or be killed.

Dislikes:
    Versatility-the drawback is you may get stuck filling a role you'd prefer not to. Case in point I'm main spec ret but have tanked more of Ulduar than I have been allowed to dps. I could refuse, but then we'd still be missing a tank and that means we don't raid at all.
    Nerfs-whether or not you think pallys need them, nerfs are all over the place. Throughout LK we've heard nothing but "PVP OP" but "PVE = lame duck" "burst is too high" "heals are too big" "heals are boring, give an AoE heal". It's an ongoing problem between PVP and PVE that is causing the nerfs and until Blizz fixes it, we'll continue to get nerfs.
    Melee-Holy has some range, but if you're ret or prot you have to stand by the mob. This isn't a huge issue, but it means you have to move around a lot while killing stuff, you can't just stand there spamming spells. It also means you get kited in PVP. With no real gap closers, it's frustrating trying to chase down a caster or hunter.
    Mana drains/Silence are no fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Brophius
    Dislikes:
    Versatility-the drawback is you may get stuck filling a role you'd prefer not to. Case in point I'm main spec ret but have tanked more of Ulduar than I have been allowed to dps. I could refuse, but then we'd still be missing a tank and that means we don't raid at all.
    QFT did that for a whole month cauz we were low on tanks .... It's SOOO ANNOYING !!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoopie
    this change is to help players like you..... you know..night elf with tyrannical beheader...

Azharok - Dalaran EU

Also its nice how the paladin becomes a new class every 6 months... that's cool too
    Quoted and sig'd my friend. So true....so true...

Quote Originally Posted by shinthar
    as druid u can..
    tank and dmg with almost the same gear.
    heal more than a pally
    do more dmg in pve even as cat or moonkin

u can fly around and farm stuff (herbs or ores) WITHOUT any dis-/mounting-time

and so on..

so... druid>pally
    I have to agree and disagree. I have a druid and a pally so I'm speaking from personal experience

I agree that druids are a lot better healers, and also a lot more fun to play as a healing class in both PVE and PVP.

Druids are also a lot easier to farm with if you have a gathering profession because epic flight form and not dismounting is just fucking amazing.

However, paladins are much more fun to tank with. I love not taking any damage in heroics (blocking most of the damage done) while having the most amazing threat generation a tank could have.

As far as DPS goes, it's a toss up really. Druids and pallies aren't the most fun class to DPS with from my personal experience.

Thing only I hate about paladins is that they get a bunch of talent changes in every patch, which are usually drastic nerfs.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Hitting a tank with a clutch Lay on Hands (as ret).