Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Is Shockadin viable once again?

Everyone can recall the almost immediate effects of 3.0 hitting... Ret FotMs. Honestly, I don't blame them based on the changes with 3.0, but I was interested also in the possibilities for a return of Shockadins. This leads me to ask, with the return of Exo use on players, is Shockadin viable once again? Exo is a major driving force behind this question, but some of the other 3.2 changes seem to be beneficial in this regard as well. Thanks.
    Death or healing! I care not which you seek!

Re: Is Shockadin viable once again?

my 2's partner wants to try it out for 2s when servers come back up. i dont know if it'll be worth it since i think holy/prot would probably be better atm. i could be wrong though, i dont have a paladin myself.

With the changes to mana regen, I dont see shockadin having high DPS, sustained DPS, burst DPS, or great healing ability...

If anything it will be a healing spec that tosses an Exo once in a while... but that isnt really any different than prot-healing or holy.

Yes, mana regen is a noted con to this idea. SoR is another potential benefit however, especially talented and glyphed... I am thinking it would be more effective in a PvP setting. It goes without saying I am going to test the waters whenever live servers finally get up, but it seems quite possible.

I mean the SP coefficients (http://www.wowwiki.com/Spell_power_coefficient) support it being strong with +SP gear, so unless I am missing the big pink elephant somewhere, how is Shockadin not at least worth a look? I am just trying to generate more input really.... heh.

15+ Year Old Account

The only way you will know is if you try it. Ret will do more damage but cant heal very well in its DPS gear. The Proly Arena healing spec is just that. A healing spec. Outside of Avengers shield (if taken) you are restricted to judgments and exo.

Holy shock will still be the major player in a Holy paladins DPS. Changing exo to a 1.5 sec cast time just makes it easier to get locked out of your only school of magic (Holy) since it has a cast time and is a holy spell. I am interested to see how much damage Exo does now that it is not an instant cast spell.

Over all they didnt really do anything but nerf holy paladin with the Infusion, Illumination and Divine Intellect changes. Beacon transfering 100% of healing is cool and all but it will lead to truly huge overhealing amounts and anyone who has been using it for a while has already gotten used to how it worked and has adapted and was already a smarter healer.
    Be Nice to America or we will bring Democracy to your country.

Yeah, the potential for getting locked out is a good point... too bad the 3.2 AoW isn't lower on the Ret tree... heh.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by carsono311
    Everyone can recall the almost immediate effects of 3.0 hitting... Ret FotMs. Honestly, I don't blame them based on the changes with 3.0, but I was interested also in the possibilities for a return of Shockadins. This leads me to ask, with the return of Exo use on players, is Shockadin viable once again? Exo is a major driving force behind this question, but some of the other 3.2 changes seem to be beneficial in this regard as well. Thanks.
    No it isn't, and never will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronark
    No it isn't, and never will be.
    Okay... care to offer why?

15+ Year Old Account

1.) 2handed Ret far out-DPSes it.
    2.) A new spell with a 1.5 second cast time and a 15 second CD will not make or break the "spec".

never has been viable, and never will be.

I really want it to be viable tbh.

Worried that with the new SoB/SoCorrupt changes there isn't enough burst in Ret to kill someone in PvP with a decent resil set on... (much less a healer of any kind :-\)

Prot Healing is better for PvP than Holy haling but not as much fun - imo anyway.

At least Holy would have Shock and Exo now and survivability with resil - may be able to kill melee now nearly as easy as Ret - with muc better survivability and ability to influence the outcome in a BG?

I haven't been Holy in a BG since TBC - only ever Prot Healing or Ret DPS - woul like to believe Holy is viable again as a Shockadin... Just wished Infusion worked on Exo like AoW does for Ret... :-\

Quote Originally Posted by Adamson
    While I can admit that Shockadin has never been on par with a heavy Ret build, it has been really close in the past particularly with skilled players. There are simply too many posts on forums and videos on YouTube that do not fully support your statement. Honestly, I think now is a rough time to bring this idea into discussion... 3.2 is going to take some playing with...

Quote Originally Posted by Adamson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvWFOvGfbH8&feature=related
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightning's+Blade&n=Hohenhe%C3%ADm
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightning's+Blade&n=Caim
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottK15
    skill>penis/vag

Yeah, that is a classic vid... I still want that Shard...

Shockadin will never be viable as long as most attacks scale off attack power and spell power. Shockadin is a broken spec, like ret was pre 3.0 with its judgements of command dealing 150 damage increased by no spellpower.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Artefacts:
    • In ordner to better fit the current post-truth zeitgeist, we are going to rename alle occurences of "artefact" into "artebelieve".

I don't clame to know alot about shockadin specs of the past as I am reasonably new to a pala though I am using a spec similar to this:

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...&version=10192

Its fun to play and level with, wouldn't call it a viable dps more for fun soloing and for pvp

Quote Originally Posted by Accuser.
    With the changes to mana regen, I dont see shockadin having high DPS, sustained DPS, burst DPS, or great healing ability...
    This is probably a dumb idea, but has there been any theorycrafting on shockadins using glyph of seal of command? I was trying the glyph out last night and it provided a pretty good amount of mana return.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Astray
    Shockadin will never be viable as long as most attacks scale off attack power and spell power. Shockadin is a broken spec, like ret was pre 3.0 with its judgements of command dealing 150 damage increased by no spellpower.
    As far as this statement is concerned you are correct that ALL Holy paladin are a broken spec.

Only one type of actual healing spell (Direct)
    No spamable damage attack while every other healing class has one from very low levels.
    Stacking spell power to heal and only one attack spell is actually only modified by SP (Holy Shock)

Dont get me wrong. I still enjoy using a deep holy build to do everything i need to do. But anyone and everyone has to admit that as a distinct class Holy is incomplete.
    Be Nice to America or we will bring Democracy to your country.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by shockpally
    As far as this statement is concerned you are correct that ALL Holy paladin are a broken spec.

Only one type of actual healing spell (Direct)
    No spamable damage attack while every other healing class has one from very low levels.
    Stacking spell power to heal and only one attack spell is actually only modified by SP (Holy Shock)

Dont get me wrong. I still enjoy using a deep holy build to do everything i need to do. But anyone and everyone has to admit that as a distinct class Holy is incomplete.
    SoR scales off of SP mainly, and the other healing Classes are casters and not Melee hybrids.

jesus, when are people going to shut up about shockadin. Its goooonnnneeeeee

This bro told a cool story on 2009-12-03 and proudly took part in the banfest.