On the future of the Scourge...

I got to thinking this morning about this whole mess with the Scourge and Bolvar, and while I know Blizzard will most likely not pursue the matter further, lorewise I'd like to see if anyone has any reasons behind my following points:

-With Bolvar as the new Lich King, why doesn't he just kill off the Scourge? As far as I can tell they don't serve a purpose beyond rotting and falling apart. If he's in command now can't he just tell them to burn themselves. Yes, I know that if there's no Lich King then the Scourge will run rampant, but why need a Lich King if there's no Scourge?

-In the ending video Bolvar says that we're to tell the world that Arthas and Bolvar died at the Frozen Throne, but I think folks are going to start getting suspicious when the Scourge are still wandering around, even if they're not attacking anyone.

Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth1400
    This topic has been beaten more then a loud mouthed bastard child with a drunk, abusive father.

Re: On the future of the Scourge...

Because he can't kill off the Scourge. As long as there is a LK, there will be Scourge, and you need a LK to control the scourge, vicious circle.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Mannoroth&cn=Chimaria

People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world.

10+ Year Old Account

Let me ask you this:

If you have a simply MASSIVE army of zombies, necromancers, abominations, etc. at your disposal, would you kill off the army? I think not.

The Scourge could actually be used to aid the Horde and the Alliance.
    Taz'dingo!

Not that the scourge likely will be used to aid the Horde/Alliance. Bbolvar is now in a constant struggle for dominance with Ner'Zhul, that's what I think.

He will slumber for some years just like arthas did, and then come back in:

[size=10pt][size=10pt]World of Warcraft expansion 9: Wrath of the Lich King, part 2![/size][/size]

/sacrasm

Didn't they say in the twitter dev chat that plaguelands will be cleared off of the scorge? We don't know to which extend but it sounds promising.
    Samin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrana View Post
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?

Quote Originally Posted by JM4X
    Let me ask you this:

If you have a simply MASSIVE army of zombies, necromancers, abominations, etc. at your disposal, would you kill off the army? I think not.

The Scourge could actually be used to aid the Horde and the Alliance.
    Well, see that's the thing there, Bolvar was like "NOPE I'M DEAD SORRY" so is he really going to come to our aid in the future?

Also what Zaldin said.

Wrath of the Lich King 2: Electric Boogaloo?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth1400
    This topic has been beaten more then a loud mouthed bastard child with a drunk, abusive father.

The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Zaldin
    Not that the scourge likely will be used to aid the Horde/Alliance. Bbolvar is now in a constant struggle for dominance with Ner'Zhul, that's what I think.
    Yeah I don't know about that... Arthas merged with Ner'Zhul in Icecrown. When Arthas died, did Ner'zhul's spirit died with the blade?
    Or is he still a bit in the armor? Is he just looking for another host?

I do think it has weakened him GREATLY, seeing as Bolvar is Mr. Good, the inner struggle might only lead him to use vengeance and hatred to achieve his righteous goals.

I think Bolvar will have it under control and will use the Lich King's powers as the jailor of the dead. An unlawfull neautral force that only has control over the dead.
    Kinda like he keeps them on a leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Samin
    Didn't they say in the twitter dev chat that plaguelands will be cleared off of the scorge? We don't know to which extend but it sounds promising.
    Yes.

Arthas killed off Ner'zhul a long time ago...says he did it about right before the events that took place in Ebon Hold. He's not killing them because he is their Jailer, not their executioner.

10+ Year Old Account

I think it more as bolvar is now standing in the middle of door with ner'zhul trying to push his way through to get in.

The person who is in controll of the doorway is in controll of the body of the lich king and his powers.

Arthas managed to close the door so he no longer needed to stand in the way by sitting on his backside for like 4 years in order to gather enough strength to close it.

While arthas was gaining strength he couldnt do anything else such as attacking or forming a rubbish plan etc.

This is the same situation i feel bolvar is in, hes currently standing in the doorway waiting to gain enough strength to slam it shut.
    This means that he wont be able to do anything else while standing in the doorway such as going to the toilet , eating or helping the alliance/horde

Bolvar wont be evil because frostmourne is the thing that corrupted arthas as seen by his death knight era, he was corrupted before he placed the armour on.

So all the scourge are now are drooling monsters that have no desire to kill but rather just stand still doing nothing.

However there may be lesser sects of the scourge still alive such as living members of the cult of the damned that still can raise dead.

Also i dont believe he actually killed ner'zhul and his inner child but rather banished them as seen with his inner child wandering around icecrown giving quests and the fact his good side came back for a moment saying "father!! is it over...?"

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Zaldin
    Bolvar is now in a constant struggle for dominance with Ner'Zhul, that's what I think.
    At the end of 'Arthas: Rise of the Lich King', it stated that Arthas killed off both his last bit of humanity and Ner'zhul's remaining spirit, so Ner'Zhul is DEAD at last.

In fact we must distinguish between two distinct things:
    • On the one hand, the corruption caused by the Burning Legion (Ner'Zhul) through Frostmourne that makes madden to its owner.
    • And in the other hand the ability to control the Scourge through the Helmet of Domination.

The new Lich King, aka Bolvar, just inherit the Helmet of Domination but not Frostmourne, which is destroyed. That means that the new Lich King has full awareness of his actions and he has not changed his way of thinking. For this reason, it's funny to me that some of you not feel anything right knowing that the new Lich King is the second most important hero of the Alliance after the King, which clashes with the supposed neutrality that has to have the Lich King.

As for the reappearance of Bolvar and his Scourge at the future, I do think that he will return in a few expansions later, as I already said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Northem
    We will not know anything about Bolvar until the last expansion (the expansion of the Burning Legion), when his close friend Varian goes to Icecrown to ask Bolvar for the support of the Scourge to help the Alliance and the Horde in the final assault against the demons.

Quote Originally Posted by Nortḥem
    At the end of 'Arthas: Rise of the Lich King', it stated that Arthas killed off both his last bit of humanity and Ner'zhul's remaining spirit, so Ner'Zhul is DEAD at last.

In fact we must distinguish between two distinct things:
    • On the one hand, the corruption caused by the Burning Legion (Ner'Zhul) through Frostmourne that makes madden to its owner.
    • And in the other hand the ability to control the Scourge through the Helmet of Domination.

The new Lich King, aka Bolvar, just inherit the Helmet of Domination but not Frostmourne, which is destroyed. That means that the new Lich King has full awareness of his actions and he has not changed his way of thinking. For this reason, it's funny to me that some of you not feel anything right knowing that the new Lich King is the second most important hero of the Alliance after the King, which clashes with the supposed neutrality that has to have the Lich King.

As for the reappearance of Bolvar and his Scourge at the future, I do think that he will return in a few expansions later, as I already said:
    Arthas had some crazy vision of him killing Ner'zuhl, but it may have just been him doing something metaphorically.
    Who cares, that was a shitty book.

It's much more convenient for the current storyline if Arthas had simply banished Ner'zuhl, and now Bolvar must do the same, explaining why he can't swoop in during Cataclysm and be all like "Hai guys, I brought the Scourge to fight Deathwing. We're cool now, right?"

Northem i aprove deeply with your sig ;D
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by crayven
    Northem i aprove deeply with your sig ;D
    OFFTOPIC: Yet the goblin city might be neutral...

ONTOPIC: On wowwiki, it said that the current whereabouts of Ner'Zhul is unknown. I still believe what I said earlier

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by MickM
    OFFTOPIC: Yet the goblin city might be neutral...
    Please, can you tell which goblin city you mean? is out of curiosity ...

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Nortḥem
    Please, can you tell which goblin city you mean? is out of curiosity ...
    The place the goblins will go to after The Lost Isles. Or perhaps even the phased out Isles.