nevermind. can't post links. gahh!
    Last edited by jimt123; 2011-03-27 at 05:58 PM. Reason: can't post links

Quote Originally Posted by Corjha View Post

i could use some feedback. ty
    Start by enchanting your cloak. Then reforge some of your items to equal out your dodge/parry ratings. At this rate, your parry will be reaching diminishing returns long before your dodge does.
    9/10

us.battle.net/wow/en/character/skullcrusher/ikonoclast/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by Ikonoclast View Post
    Start by enchanting your cloak. Then reforge some of your items to equal out your dodge/parry ratings. At this rate, your parry will be reaching diminishing returns long before your dodge does.
    9/10

us.battle.net/wow/en/character/skullcrusher/ikonoclast/advanced
    Your gear looks great and it looks like you're fine with reforging, gemming, and enchanting. The only thing I can suggest is to increase your Expertise for that extra threat, because your survivability is looking great.

No one rated me /sob
    Can someone do me this time please
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../aenlor/simple

Your gear looks generally good, although I will make a few suggestions
    Get rid of the dps belt, buy/farm mats for the crafted piece (It shouldn't cost much)
    Farm up earthen Ring and switch your Ring of the three lights for the agi ring (Reforge haste to dodge)
    Re-enchant your gloves to mastery
    Other than that you look fine

Would like some pointer for my character if you have the time
    I am also reaching 2200 valor quite soon should I got for ret legs for the added mastery or go for the prot ones?
    Link should be in sig

Quote Originally Posted by TheSchofield View Post
    Your gear looks generally good, although I will make a few suggestions
    Get rid of the dps belt, buy/farm mats for the crafted piece (It shouldn't cost much)
    Farm up earthen Ring and switch your Ring of the three lights for the agi ring (Reforge haste to dodge)
    Re-enchant your gloves to mastery
    Other than that you look fine

Would like some pointer for my character if you have the time
    I am also reaching 2200 valor quite soon should I got for ret legs for the added mastery or go for the prot ones?
    Link should be in sig
    Of course you go for the Prot gear you're a tank...
    Last edited by Maester; 2011-03-29 at 01:43 AM.

Other than having no raid gear, am I headed in the right direction?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ckpally/simple

Quote Originally Posted by The Handsome Stranger View Post
    Other than having no raid gear, am I headed in the right direction?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ckpally/simple
    Spec : id personally remove the 2 points from Judge of the pure and put them into Pursuit of Justice...switch 1 point from consecration and put it into reckoning since your only doing heroics and not raids as you say if you want more single target threat take the last point in hallowed ground and put it in Rule of law. YOu can also take points from seals of the pure and put them in eternal glory for a survivabitiliy boost and helping healers out.

Enchant : get tank head enchant ...40 dodge to bracer ...
    Gems: Red = 20 parry / 20 mastery OR 20 parry / 30stam......Blue= 20 mastery/30stam....Yellow=40 mastery

btw the chest from justice points is better than the crafted epic bs peice

rate me someone this time instead of skipping me D: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...minthus/simple
    or right here VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Armory link from your post is broken but the one from your signature works. =)

Gear: You got a LOT of Mastery, very nice. It's too bad your Dodge is so low compared to your Parry but it seems you already did all the Reforging you could. Might want to consider getting some actual Tanking trinkets in stead of just Mastery ones, though.
    Spec: I personally wouldn't take Rule of Law because crit rating isn't all that valuable for tanks, but that's a matter of personal playstyle I guess.
    Prime Glyphs: Glyph of Word of Glory will be less useful in 4.1, might want to consider using Glyph of Hammer of the Righteous then.
    Major Glyphs: Have you considered using Glyph of Holy Wrath? Especially in this expansion the stun on Dragonkin and Elementals can be very useful. Seeing as you don't have the Consecration talent either that also devalues your Glyph of Consecration. =)
    Minor Glyphs: Personally I prefer using the Kings/Might ones, but that's hardly important.

--------------------

Do note this is just advice from a starting Tankadin, I'm here to get some pointers too. =P

My Armory link: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...aggie/advanced
    Any advice is welcome.

Deleted
    Hey guys nice thread lots of good advice.

Could you please rate myself, im fairly new to tanking and would apriciate any advice sugestions ect.

My armory link : http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...3%a9art/simple

One thing to change, Starlight, would be your reforge from parry to dodge. I see you've done the opposite on one occasion. On the neck, to be more precise. For the rest it's looking good for your gear. Nice.

As for your spec, holy crap, please drop those points in the consecration talent and get divine guardian right away! It's sooooo good to migitate raid damage on many aoe heavy encounters such as chimaeron during feud, or nef during electrocute. I'd also take out the points of reckoning and go for another point in pursuit of justice, and two in rule of law. The movement speed bonus is very nice to max out, and the critical chance on 3 attacks just appeals more to me then some extra auto attacks. That last bit is just my personal preference, though.

Link to my char is in my sig, if anyone's interested in rating/bashing it or whatever.

I apologize in advance for such a long post. I have broken it up some, but wanted to included explanations at the last 2 posters on here are giving and receiving highly inaccurate advice/information.

Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    Hey guys nice thread lots of good advice.

Could you please rate myself, im fairly new to tanking and would apriciate any advice sugestions ect.

My armory link : http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...3%a9art/simple
    I would highly recommend wheening yourself off the WoG spec due to 4.1 changes coming in the very near future. The 2 points in Eternal Glory are fine because you can pop a heal and occasionally be able to use shield afterwards (I say shield because it will soon have the 20 sec CD, best to be in the habit of not using it twice in a row), but you need a lot of other spec changes. I would recommend dropping both points out of Guarded By the Light, 1 point out of Hallowed Ground and 1 point out of Reckoning and moving those 4 points into the Ret tree. Fill out PoJ talent for sure, and then you can either do 3/3 Rule of Law (much larger net threat gain over where your points are currently) or do 1/3 Rule of Law and 2/2 Guardian's Favor. I personally do 2/2 Guardian's Favor because many fights are made much easier with a Hand of Protection/Cancel Aura macro. Halfus to drop MS stacks, Magmaw it will negate all damage while you're being chomped in his mouth. Can be used every other time he chomps you or if you have a Paladin healer, you will always take 0 chomp damage rotating HoPs each phase. Glyphs look great.

Gear looks great, only a few things that really stick out.

- Change your meta. Even when block capped, the 1% increased block value gain still doesn't outweigh the 2% armor. If anyone feels differently, please show a thorough explanation and the math used to support this.

- Equal out dodge/parry ratings. This will minimize what you suffer from diminishing returns on either, as they are equal point for point.

Please don't use stamina trinkets. The only acceptable one is from alchemy due to the mastery it has on it as well. Everything should be mastery as shooting for 102.4 CTC is what every paladin should be going for. It can currently be obtained by paladins without any heroic gear if geared correctly. Dodging, parrying, or taking 40% damage off every physical hit on every blow is going to be worth more than the 8k life or so you get from trinkets after stamina boosting effects. I've had heroic Magmaw hit me for 80k clean hit before. 8k more life or reduce 32k damage by ensuring a block if you fail to dodge or parry. I'll take mastery over stam until ctc is hit any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Auralan View Post
    One thing to change, Starlight, would be your reforge from parry to dodge. I see you've done the opposite on one occasion. On the neck, to be more precise. For the rest it's looking good for your gear. Nice.

As for your spec, holy crap, please drop those points in the consecration talent and get divine guardian right away! It's sooooo good to migitate raid damage on many aoe heavy encounters such as chimaeron during feud, or nef during electrocute. I'd also take out the points of reckoning and go for another point in pursuit of justice, and two in rule of law. The movement speed bonus is very nice to max out, and the critical chance on 3 attacks just appeals more to me then some extra auto attacks. That last bit is just my personal preference, though.

Link to my char is in my sig, if anyone's interested in rating/bashing it or whatever.

I would highly, HIGHLY advise you go check out Theck's Matlab at maintankadin.com as you are handing out extremely poor advice to the paladin before you. Rule of Law is a great talent and should have at least 1 point in any paladin tank build (reasons stated already), however, your personal preference is not the correct choice. Bigger numbers =/= more threat. You want bigger numbers, roll ret. There are entire websites with people devoted to doing the math that proves you're ignoring putting points in the most important threat talent paladins have. This is the biggest problem with such a great thread like this, is that the newer paladins like yourself don't fully understand the math or mechanics behind abilities and other paladins take your advice without any idea of how inaccurate it is. I say this to you to help you, not to bash you.

- You need 1 point in Reckoning, 2 is optional. 1 point is by far the largest threat talent in any gear setup as shown by Theck's Matlab at maintankadin.com. You will also gain a lot more threat/better mana management by taking your 2 points out of Seals of the Pure (our weakest threat talent) and putting 1 more in Rule of Law and 1 into Hallowed Ground. Your choice on whether to take them, but the math is proven, I would highly recommend it.

Regarding your gear, change your meta. I've stated above as to why you should. It also seems you're unaware of the break point on gear for paladin tanks. The break point is where your reforge dodge or parry into mastery instead of expertise or hit when present on gear. For example, your necklace you just picked up is dodge hit. Reforging the higher of amount of dodge into mastery instead of the lower amount of hit actually increases your overall CTC. This is due to getting so much chance to block per point of mastery on paladins. Most warriors can't do this yet outside of select heroic pieces.

Mastery trinkets over stamina trinkets are always going to perform better as all bosses physically attack and usually have one big magic attack used on occasion. Mirror of Broken Images is best in slot for pretty much every fight by this reasoning, mastery for the physical, the use effect for magical. I would recommend running alchemy trinket. If this isn't available to you, run Porcelain crab for physical fights and whatever stamina trinket for your other slot to soak magic damage I guess, even though nothing is as effective as MoBI.

Get Windwalk on your weapon. I assume you're going to say Maelstrom Crystals are too expensive on your server. No disrespect, but a good tank always brings a 110%. If you're going to tank, tank well, don't half-ass it. Most I've seen them for is 2k each. That's 12k, which isn't hard to make in a week or two and the mitigation is well worth the payout.

Overall, you have nice gear, just need a lot more mastery and a lot less stamina. This isn't wrath anymore. With CTC only obtainable by paladin tanks atm, it really shows which tanks are pushing themselves to perform well and which are just mana-sponging the healers.

My gear setup currently reaches 102.4 CTC running 90 Mastery/Stamina food and 225 Mastery Elixir and 90 All Resistances Elixir. This is also counting raid buffs. I currently sit at 102.58 before WW proc.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...zetsu/advanced

Above is my profile to rate, take notes, get ideas to hit CTC on your own toon with what gear is available. I know a lot of tanks argue "your stamina is too low for heroic raids, honestly it is not. You take much smaller hits, if you the boss even actually hits you, and my healers are able to manage their mana extremely well due to knowing I will only be taking hits for 60% normal damage. It has made raids go much, much smoother. Obviously, now that I have hit CTC cap, I will start to work more stamina in as I gain more budget in my stats.

Theck's Matlab link is also below for newer paladins to check out and see for themselves what the best choice to make is concerning glyphs and talents based on gear choices/current level or gear.

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.c...rb_v=viewtopic
    Last edited by Zetsu727; 2011-04-01 at 08:23 AM.

Why would anyone want to spec for more threat, when you don't lose aggro? Unless your dps team is pulling insanely high numbers, I highly doubt that you'll need it this tier. Saying there is no such thing as personal preference and only hard math exists is something I like to call nonsense for this reason.

As for the mastery thing: i'm not going to wear dodge gear when the boss we have most difficulty on is maloriak heroic. The healers can heal through the melee phases just fine, but the magic attack preventing healing seems to be the worst to quickly heal up after. Good luck trying to use a trinket or cd to reduce an attack's damage which is channeled for a few minutes non stop. We'd rather go for a slightly larger health pool, instead of passive block with mastery. I mean, good luck trying to block/parry/dodge a magical attack...

I guess that's the biggest disadvantage of this thread. People often change their characters to take on specific encounters. There is no "best" setup which you can keep for every single fight. That being said, yes, MoBI IS an excellent trinket. Won't disagree with you on that.

First, I apologize as I thought I didn't need to address the obvious. These are talents needed to either get to the next tier of talents or threat talents which are picked up after all other survivability talents are picked up. Why are you putting 2 points in Seals of the Pure, our weakest threat talent of them all, when you could put 1 point in Reckoning and 1 point in Hallowed Ground and have exponentially higher threat and better mana management. The better question is why would you waste points picking up poor threat talents over your best threat talents after all other survivability talents are talented?

Second, CTC should be every paladin's top priority because every boss melees. This is a fact. Taking less damage from physical while magical damage is happening eases your damage on the healers. If you are rotating your own personal cooldowns properly and working with your raid and rotating BoS, Pain Suppression, etc, the rough 15k life or so you gain from putting on stamina trinkets are just soaking healers mana. That one ability on one fight of one raid instance doesn't warrant any reason to not have full CTC.

I would recommend looking into rotating cooldowns properly. Even though we have not currently killed the encounter, we've done many attempts and that channel is one of the easiest things to handle for us due to our rotation. Having to gear out 2 raid members in blues makes the fight a little rougher though.

Boost your stats up to full CTC, then slowly work more stamina in as you get a bigger budget in stats. Your healers will thank you for mitigating all the damage you're making them not heal. This thread isn't nor are my posts saying there is one specific way to spec, glyph, etc to be a good tank. However, the fact that only paladin tanks can hit full CTC this raid tier makes us invaluable. It by far is the best damage mitigation tool we have to abuse and people are not doing so.
    Last edited by Zetsu727; 2011-04-01 at 04:31 PM.

Deleted
    Hi thank you for your advice, could you possibly link a more viable spec for me please to look at.
    Also bear in mind until recently taning was my offspec and i was geared/enchanted for incase tansk did nto turn up type things, now im moving to a more perm offtank role while we recruit a tank for a our new guild.

But as i said above thank you for the responses thus far

---------- Post added 2011-04-01 at 06:44 PM ----------

I have reread your advice and are now a little confused as to whome your advice was aimd at tbh.

First you talk about the first post before the guy who gave me advice then your talking about the guys who gave me advice, if possible could you actualy edit your post so i know what information was meant for me and what was meant for others.

Thank you

Deleted
    Hello there fellow paladins, hopefully you can give me some advices:
    i cannot post yet but Adrine - eu , karazhan
    thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    I am not sure where you learned to add Zetsu, but you are not at 102.4%

Your dodge is 11.49%
    Your parry 12.64%
    Your block is at 64.16%

Simple addition puts you at 88.29%.

Not sure what I am missing here.

Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    I am not sure where you learned to add Zetsu, but you are not at 102.4%

Your dodge is 11.49%
    Your parry 12.64%
    Your block is at 64.16%

Simple addition puts you at 88.29%.

Not sure what I am missing here.
    If you read my post where I stated I'm at 102.4 CTC, you would have seen in the very same paragraph this includes 5% increase to all stats (namely agi for dodge and str for parry) from Mark of the Wild or Blessing of Kings, the 549 str/agi gained from Horn of Winter, Strength of Earth totem, or even Battleshout, the boss's 5% base chance to miss when physically attacking, not to mention the extra 315 mastery gained from running mastery food and mastery/resistance elixirs instead of Flask of Steelskin.

If you're going to be disrespectful and say things like "I'm not sure where you learned to add, but you're not at 102.4 avoidance", please know what you're talking about or be able to read the information laid out in front of you. If you don't understand things on this forum, ask politely. This is what the forum is for. I'm taking the time to hand out a lot of solid information to tanks here to better the community, I would ask you do the same.
    Last edited by Zetsu727; 2011-04-02 at 06:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zetsu727 View Post
    If you read my post where and the part where I stated I'm at 102.4 CTC, you would have seen in the very same paragraph this includes 5% increase to all stats (namely agi for dodge and str for parry) from Mark of the Wild or Blessing of Kings, the 549 str/agi gained from Horn of Winter, Strength of Earth totem, or even Battleshout, the boss's 5% base chance to miss when physically attacking, not to mention the extra 315 mastery gained from running mastery food and mastery/resistance elixirs instead of Flask of Steelskin.

If you're going to be disrespectful and say things like "I'm not sure where you learned to add, but you're not at 102.4 avoidance", please know what you're talking about or be able to read the information laid out in front of you. If you don't understand things on this forum, ask politely. This is what the forum is for. I'm taking the time to hand out a lot of solid information to tanks here to better the community, I would ask you do the same.
    The sad part is that even though you numbers might add up, this is coming from a tank who has downed 3 heroic bosses. Clear a little more content and I might have a little more respect for you. Our main tank is a Paladin who doesn't go for avoidance cap because to be honest, it isn't necessary or optimal.

You make it sound like the information you are posting is some sort of set in stone method to Paladin tanking, so yes I am being disrespectful. You are spreading around situational information that isn't necessarily to clear the content.