Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why so few attacks while leveling?

Hello MMO readers.
    As i was leveling my pally today and hit 40 i couldn't help but notice that the retribution paladin only really has 1 melee attack and that is Judgement. So i've been spamming this attack over and over again since i started this character, and i also saw that the next melee attack my pally will get is through Crusader Strike talent at lvl 50.

So how come we only got 1 attack to use whilst we level 1-50?
    Is this something Blizzard should look into and fix?

/Tony

Re: Why so few attacks while leveling?

Yes and it perfectly illustrates the problems of ret paladins. Even if we WANTED to have a more strict rotation, for more difficult play we cant because we dont have enough abilities to choose from.

CS honestly needs to be a baseline talent available to every pally, and and additional attack added to our 40pt, but short of a miracle in Cat it wont happen.
    I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money; but what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I've acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, i will not pursue you but if you don't; I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

10+ Year Old Account

Yeah the rotation while lvling a ret pally is very simple, i think the best part is how quickly u can faceroll mobs, even with like 3 attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry_David
    "from injustise comes justise"

-huangzhong9

I like my rotation at 80. Don't mess with it, unless we get a lower global cooldown, or abilities that are off of it.

Taurentony- pull with Hand of Reckoning, don't forget to Exorcism. Other than that, try to enjoy the slow grind to 50. It picks up dramatically once you get infinite mana from Judgements of the Wise, instant-Exorcisms via Art of War, and a ton of free spellpower from Sheath of Light.

Leveling until you get those is a pain, but doable. Keep on keeping on!
    Quote Originally Posted by huangzhong9
    Yeah the rotation while lvling a ret pally is very simple, i think the best part is how quickly u can faceroll mobs, even with like 3 attacks.
    Says the Hunter. I don't think any other class has been told "just put every point in the BM tree and you can level just fine".

Just because this is a thread about Paladins doesn't mean you need to slip "faceroll" somewhere in your post. Save your butthurt for the other 3000 threads about Paladins being OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Abolishment
    Taurentony- pull with Hand of Reckoning, don't forget to Exorcism. Other than that, try to enjoy the slow grind to 50. It picks up dramatically once you get infinite mana from Judgements of the Wise, instant-Exorcisms via Art of War, and a ton of free spellpower from Sheath of Light.
    Yeh but i am not talking about pulling mobs, i am talking about when you're already being in melee range with your target there isn't much you can do except pray for some nice white crits and wait for that Judgement cooldown.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurentony
    Hello MMO readers.
    As i was leveling my pally today and hit 40 i couldn't help but notice that the retribution paladin only really has 1 melee attack and that is Judgement. So i've been spamming this attack over and over again since i started this character, and i also saw that the next melee attack my pally will get is through Crusader Strike talent at lvl 50.

So how come we only got 1 attack to use whilst we level 1-50?
    Is this something Blizzard should look into and fix?

/Tony
    It get's alot better when you reach lvl 60 as Abolishment said.
    Divine Storm and Crusader Strike will keep you busy, especially with the new crusader strike cooldown. (4s instead of 6)

Just judge wisdom and enjoy the ride.
    Think about this: most fun part is still to come!
    "If you need to add '10char' to be able to post, don't bother posting at all."

You shouldn't be ret until level 50 anyway. You should be prot.

This is because they want to keep the offensive abilities of prot and holy low. So as a consequence the class doesn't have many learn'd moves as opposed to talented moves.

Yes cause using frostbolt from level 1 to 80 is nice, as an example.

Quote Originally Posted by BDF
    This is because they want to keep the offensive abilities of prot and holy low. So as a consequence the class doesn't have many learn'd moves as opposed to talented moves.
    Yeah, those healadins would be tearin' with crusader strike.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat
    Yeah, those healadins would be tearin' with crusader strike.
    I lol'd

Quote Originally Posted by Tusq
    Yes cause using frostbolt from level 1 to 80 is nice, as an example.
    Ah, but mages actually use their abilities. Paladins use one ability every 8 seconds.

I do believe CS should be baseline..

It won't cause any imbalance because holy paladins deal next to no melee damage, and prot paladins don't gain anything from it either, their rotation is too busy, and it's not holy damage.
    Also, not to forget crusader strike only really becomes strong after gaining benefit from a bunch of talents that amplify its damage.

It was fine with exorcism, until it received a cast time, which then turn problematic because you need talents AND you need to crit frequently to keep it instant cast. Something you don't really do all that much at lower levels.
    Luckily I did find a way to circumvent this issue, and that's simply casting exorcism to pull, and immediately cast hand of reckoning, and this way making use of lag to receive damage from reckoning and not having to suffer the cast time of exorcism while you don't crit/don't have the talent.

But it's mostly just auto attack, judgement, auto attack. Really boring.
    I can't imagine leveling a paladin from 1 to 50 without heirloom items, it seems like an impossible task. I feel sorry for newbies who want to play a paladin.

15+ Year Old Account

Basically, it boils down to one thing: We're a Hybrid class.

I like my rotation at 80. Don't mess with it, unless we get a lower global cooldown, or abilities that are off of it.

Leveling until you get those is a pain, but doable. Keep on keeping on!Says the Hunter. I don't think any other class has been told "just put every point in the BM tree and you can level just fine".

Just because this is a thread about Paladins doesn't mean you need to slip "faceroll" somewhere in your post. Save your butthurt for the other 3000 threads about Paladins being OP.
    You'll already have (semi-) infinate mana with the SoC glyph- Adding more abilities wouldn't mean a worse Rotation- In any case, if we got a new ability, CS would go down to 105% Weapon Damage on a 6 sec CD (when fully talented, or as an X% Physical plus Y% as Holy) and we'd have more GCDs to use on utility.

Quote Originally Posted by Offhand
    You shouldn't be ret until level 50 anyway. You should be prot.
    Pretty much, unless you go for (again) Semi-Infinite mana in Ret with Command.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Raptorg
    I do believe CS should be baseline..

It won't cause any imbalance because holy paladins deal next to no melee damage, and prot paladins don't gain anything from it either, their rotation is too busy, and it's not holy damage.
    Also, not to forget crusader strike only really becomes strong after gaining benefit from a bunch of talents that amplify its damage.

It was fine with exorcism, until it received a cast time, which then turn problematic because you need talents AND you need to crit frequently to keep it instant cast. Something you don't really do all that much at lower levels.
    Luckily I did find a way to circumvent this issue, and that's simply casting exorcism to pull, and immediately cast hand of reckoning, and this way making use of lag to receive damage from reckoning and not having to suffer the cast time of exorcism while you don't crit/don't have the talent.

But it's mostly just auto attack, judgement, auto attack. Really boring.
    I can't imagine leveling a paladin from 1 to 50 without heirloom items, it seems like an impossible task. I feel sorry for newbies who want to play a paladin.
    Feel sorry for us who leveled as Holy before the Healing Power to SP conversion D:

10+ Year Old Account

WTF are u talking, i never said anything negative towards pallies, if u don't think lowby pallies don't faceroll mobs than u are clearly delirious, i know because i leveled my pally from 41-80 as ret, it just isn't even fair, and that was back when excorcism was only usable on undead. I am not here to QQ about pallies, nor am i here to try and say that hunters aren't just as faceroll to lvl as pallies. i am not upset that they are easy to lvl, in fact that came quite in handy when i lvled mine, so i am more glad that upset. and i did not level BM, just for the record.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry_David
    "from injustise comes justise"

-huangzhong9

10+ Year Old Account

Well hopefully they remake the paladin class from scratch next expansion. One of the major problems with the paladin class as a whole is the fact that while its abilities are powerful it as very little choice in what to do & how to do it because it has very few spells & abilities. It would be nice next expansion if they would make more spells/abilities for the class that are baseline but weak then improve them via talents like what the druid has.
    The way balancing for WOW PVP works is allot like American politics.
    1: Be lazy & ignore problems till the yelling is so loud your cant concentrate.
    2: Refuse to do the things you have Said need to be done, then make up reasons why they cannot be done.
    3: Lay the blame for problems on someone else even when it's your fault because you did all of the above.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by huangzhong9
    WTF are u talking, i never said anything negative towards pallies, if u don't think lowby pallies don't faceroll mobs than u are clearly delirious, i know because i leveled my pally from 41-80 as ret, it just isn't even fair, and that was back when excorcism was only usable on undead. I am not here to QQ about pallies, nor am i here to try and say that hunters aren't just as faceroll to lvl as pallies. i am not upset that they are easy to lvl, in fact that came quite in handy when i lvled mine, so i am more glad that upset. and i did not level BM, just for the record.
    In that case, all Classes are Facerollers- Desto Locks can 1-shot mobs with Chaos Bolt- Mages can do the same with Fire Ball/Fire Blast. Hunters can Aimed Shot/Explosion Shot, etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by zcks
    Well hopefully they remake the paladin class from scratch next expansion. One of the major problems with the paladin class as a whole is the fact that while its abilities are powerful it as very little choice in what to do & how to do it because it has very few spells & abilities. It would be nice next expansion if they would make more spells/abilities for the class that are baseline but weak then improve them via talents like what the druid has.
    This might be a small slight possibility when they re-due the Talent trees.

Deleted

Don't worry, it will get ALOT harder...you get to spam 3 buttons insted of one once you ding 50-60.

Yes you heard me...3 whole buttons! ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Ronark
    Feel sorry for us who leveled as Holy before the Healing Power to SP conversion D:
    That's your own decision, nobody told you you had to.

Anyway, didn't some blue hint they will make more essential spells/talent baseline, and replacing them with "fun" talents in Cataclysm?
    I can imagine CS and DS getting that same treatment. Too bad it's still a while off.

I think it's funny a resto druid has more tools to dps in cat form than a ret pally. At low level, of course.