Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Solo Kara as Ret

I've never seen any information about this so I thought I'd post my experience. I went into Kara last night to see how far I could get. I was mainly interested in doing Attumen for the mount drop, but the other bosses do drop gold and vendor loot. The first few bosses were much easier than I had thought they would be. Attumen, Moroes and Maiden were all 1 shot without having to use bubble or LoH. I just kept sacred shield up, Seal of Light and judged light. Instant FoL whenever I got below 75% or so. Opera event is where I ran into trouble. I got the Wizard of Oz one, and the mobs in it hit really hard. I tried it about 5 times and in my last attempt I got Roar, and Tito down, and Dorothy died just as I did. Roar seems to do the most damage in this fight so I decided to switch to him as soon as he comes out. I'm going to go back today with some pots and maybe a flask and see how things go. If I can get past this I believe Curator and Shade of Aran would be fairly easy.

I'm doing this in PvP gear with a PvP spec. I believe it helps a lot having enough resil to be uncrittable, other than that PvE gear might work better. Spec is 3/17/51 with Imp HoJ, I could respec to a different ret spec an make it easier, but if I was going to do that I could just go prot. I'm not sure what gear level is required to do this, but I really doubt you could do it in all lvl 200 gear. I'll try to log out in my ret gear so I can post an armory link if anyone is interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinshiva
    The fact remains that you FUCKING FAIL.

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Solo Kara as Ret

Quote Originally Posted by gobtol
    I've never seen any information about this so I thought I'd post my experience. I went into Kara last night to see how far I could get. I was mainly interested in doing Attumen for the mount drop, but the other bosses do drop gold and vendor loot. The first few bosses were much easier than I had thought they would be. Attumen, Moroes and Maiden were all 1 shot without having to use bubble or LoH. I just kept sacred shield up, Seal of Light and judged light. Instant FoL whenever I got below 75% or so. Opera event is where I ran into trouble. I got the Wizard of Oz one, and the mobs in it hit really hard. I tried it about 5 times and in my last attempt I got Roar, and Tito down, and Dorothy died just as I did. Roar seems to do the most damage in this fight so I decided to switch to him as soon as he comes out. I'm going to go back today with some pots and maybe a flask and see how things go. If I can get past this I believe Curator and Shade of Aran would be fairly easy.

I'm doing this in PvP gear with a PvP spec. I believe it helps a lot having enough resil to be uncrittable, other than that PvE gear might work better. Spec is 3/17/51 with Imp HoJ, I could respec to a different ret spec an make it easier, but if I was going to do that I could just go prot. I'm not sure what gear level is required to do this, but I really doubt you could do it in all lvl 200 gear. I'll try to log out in my ret gear so I can post an armory link if anyone is interested.
    Resilience no longer reduces a mob's chance to crit you or reduces the amount of damage taken by mobs: It only affects it from a player I believe.

resi sure does make you uncrittable by mobs!

edit: grammar
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedFate15
    since I'm a DK, I don't understand

Quote Originally Posted by Ronark
    Resilience no longer reduces a mob's chance to crit you or reduces the amount of damage taken by mobs: It only affects it from a player I believe.
    Nakko is right. It doesn't reduce the damage you take in PvE, but it does still reduce your chance to be crit. Go test it if you don't believe me.

I had thought about trying this several times in the past but I never got to it. I am impressed with how far you have gotten already. Unfortunately, you won't get a whole lot further. Chess can't be solo'd. If you happen to bring a friend or two in for Chess, you still can't solo Prince as Ret. Not that he is required, but you can't do Netherspite either.

Win7(64)Pro - Intel 3770K @ 4.5GHz - 4x4GB DDR3 G Skill Ripjaws X - XFX Radeon HD 7970 - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Nakko
    resilience sure does make you uncrittable by mobs!

edit: grammar
    I know it was changed in patch 3.2, I thought they changed it from affecting mobs as well; Regardless, you would need about 600 resilience to be uncrittable from mobs (if it does in fact reduce their crit chance).

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by gobtol
    Nakko is right. It doesn't reduce the damage you take in PvE, but it does still reduce your chance to be crit. Go test it if you don't believe me.
    Ah then thats what they changed about it: I don't PvP much in general nor do I tank mobs without defense so I wouldn't know :P

Quote Originally Posted by Prentice
    I had thought about trying this several times in the past but I never got to it. I am impressed with how far you have gotten already. Unfortunately, you won't get a whole lot further. Chess can't be solo'd. If you happen to bring a friend or two in for Chess, you still can't solo Prince as Ret. Not that he is required, but you can't do Netherspite either.
    Chess was solo'd at 70. I personally know of a druid who did it and I've heard a ton of stuff from druids/rogues. There were entire guides on how to get past the trash (that being the hardest part).
    Mains:
    Paladin: Calphius
    Warlock: Caltorei
    Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion: destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.

unforunatly, curator isn't easy, 2 man dps hes fine, but solo you're going to be taking a LOT of damage, it may be healable but don't expect it to be cake, nor shade of aran, unresistable boss spells FTW.

I didn't realize Chess Event was required, but it looks like it is. I know it used to be soloable, so I guess it still would be. I'm not sure how the Illhoof fight works, but if he casts the Demonic Chains with only 1 person in the raid then probably isn't doable. Prince would be tough but I'm not sure that it's not possible as ret. I'll just have to try it and see.

Here's an armory link with the gear/spec I was using.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...wing+Lair&n=Xt

hmm... you might have better luck in prot spec on some fights...
    keep in mind you only need 490 defense to be uncritable (someone correct me if i'm wrong)
    prince shouldn't be a problem (he won't take your hps to 1)
    netherspite is going to be a problem... i'd pretty sure he's the hardest one to solo...
    about aran... i dont think he casts sacrefice on tank... not 100% sure
    chess is soloble but still quite hard... to be honest even with 2 players it's not piece of cake

Quote Originally Posted by gandalfwg
    Chess was solo'd at 70. I personally know of a druid who did it and I've heard a ton of stuff from druids/rogues. There were entire guides on how to get past the trash (that being the hardest part).
    Yes it was. Did you not try this any time later on at 70? They changed how the Chess event worked and I don't think it can be done with any less than 3 players now. They added the debuff of "Recently in game" or something like that. This made it so you couldn't just swap characters out at will.\

I mentioned that Prince isn't soloable for 2 reasons. As Ret, I think that you'd take WAY too much damage in P2 and P3. As Prot, you won't have the DPS necessary to kill him before the entire platform is covered with the Infernal's Hellfire.

EDIT: I found the debuff that I was referring to. It is Recently In Game. Duration is 10 seconds.

Win7(64)Pro - Intel 3770K @ 4.5GHz - 4x4GB DDR3 G Skill Ripjaws X - XFX Radeon HD 7970 - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Fbl
    hmm... you might have better luck in prot spec on some fights...
    keep in mind you only need 490 defense to be uncritable (someone correct me if i'm wrong)
    prince shouldn't be a problem (he won't take your hps to 1)
    netherspite is going to be a problem... i'd pretty sure he's the hardest one to solo...
    chess is soloble but still quite hard... to be honest even with 2 players it's not piece of cake
    You still need the 540 against the bosses since they "scale" with your level.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronark
    You still need the 540 against the bosses since they "scale" with your level.
    bosses dont scale with your lvl...
    vanilla raid bosses are lvl 63, bc 73, wotlk 83

Shade of Aran isn't the Sacrifice boss. That's Illhoof and you are correct about not sacrificing the highest threat.

Yeah, tough luck. They do scale. Bosses are always three levels above you, otherwise old bosses couldn't even touch you.

Quote Originally Posted by CookieEater
    Yeah, tough luck. They do scale. Bosses are always three levels above you.
    really? i've never heard about that...
    i'm still quite surprised : )

Yeah, tough luck. They do scale. Bosses are always three levels above you.
    ^^ This. The numeric level assigned to bosses was only there for 2 reasons. Crushing Blows used to be +3 levels (now +4). Calculating hit chance required is the other one.

Yeah, tough luck. They do scale. Bosses are always three levels above you, otherwise old bosses couldn't even touch you.
    Also works the opposite way. It's why guilds started letting people into MC at ~55.

"Bosses have a "dynamic" level — they are considered to be 3 levels above the player character." - http://www.wowwiki.com/Skull

Below with crushing blows (outdated) :P
    "These bosses have a "dynamic" level - when a numeric level is required for some calculation, they are considered to be 3 levels above the player character involved in that calculation. That is, if both a level 60 warrior and a level 65 druid both tank the same skull type boss, the boss will make crushing blows on the warrior as if it was 63, and on the druid as if it was 68." - http://www.wowwiki.com/Boss