Creating your own raid boss

If we could all create our own raid boss, this is what mine would be.
    ok so it would take place in icecrown citadel, on a very large platform out in the open, very high up. There are four
    lightning conductors based around the platform, at the north, south, east and west. Each of them is attackable,
    with 4.5 million hit points on 25 man difficulty. The boss itself, a very large thaddius-like undead creature, stands
    in the center. He is pulled like any other raid boss. The fight has several phases, the first of which goes like so:
    By whatever means you deem necessary, the four lightning conductors are to be taken down, each must be destroyed
    within 10 seconds of each other. The conductor have a 1 second cast Chain Lightning attack, which deals 11,000-14,000
    nature damage to it's primary target, increased by 30% for each jump. Hence, the raid will have to spread out.
    If the objective of destroying all the conductors within 10 seconds of each other is not achieved, it will cause
    a Blackout, lasting 10 seconds and causing the boss to enrage, dealing 1000% additional damage with 500% attack
    speed increase for the duration of the Blackout, obviously, this is intended to wipe the raid. However, if you do
    succeed in destroying the Lightning Conductors in the set amount of time, an electrical zone will spawn at a random
    position somewhere on the platform. After 10 seconds, a tendril of lightning will hit the targetted location.
    The objective here is to drag the boss to the location before the tendril hits, if it strikes the boss, he will be
    stunned for 15 seconds, taking 100% increased damage for the duration. This phase will continue until the boss reaches
    60%.

Phase two begins with the boss returning to the center of the platform, and begin a 10 second cast named Arc Lightning.
    This ability works in the same way as Akil'zons rainstorm ability. The raid must get to the circular platform in which
    the boss is stood before the cast is finished, or suffer 65,000 nature damage. After the cast is complete, the spell
    will continue to be channelled for 8 seconds. After it's over, the raid must return to their positions, as once Arc
    Lightning is finished, the boss will then cast Shattering Pound, a 5 second cast, causing 35,000 physical damage to
    all targets within 15 yards. The boss will then go back to his regular melee attacks. This series of abilities is
    repeated every 30 seconds. This phase will continue until 40%.

Phase three starts with the boss yelling for aid. Groups of 5 Geists, each with around 500k hit points will spawn
    from the two doorways on the east and west sides. Offtanks must be ready to pick up these groups. The geists
    will do a whirlwind attack, so it is recommended that melee remain on the boss. Throughout this phase, the boss
    continues to cast Shattering Pound, but not Arc Lightning. So the raid must be aware of this. Ranged will simply aoe
    down the adds. After all adds are dead, the boss will raise them from the dead, this time with half the hit points they
    previously had. The adds will stop casting whirlwind. At this point, the raid is given 30 seconds to kill them, before
    the boss casts Death Pact, healing himself to 100%, and begining phase 1 again, most likely resulting in a wipe.
    Once the adds have been killed for the second time, phase four will begin.

Phase four is the final phase, the boss will gain a buff named Thunderous Rage. This buff grants the bosses melee attacks
    an additional 10% nature damage. This buff will stack infinitely, and he will gain it every 15 seconds. Electrical
    zones will start to spawn in random locations around the platform again, this time with a 5 second delay before the
    tendrils hit. Striking the boss with the tendrils will remove one stack of Thunderous Rage, granting the raid more time
    to defeat the boss before he inevitably one-shots the tank. In addition to this, he will begin casting Inevitable Doom
    on random raid members, this is a 10 second debuff that causes 8,000 shadow damage per second to the target, and all
    targets within 15 yards. This target must move away from the rest of the raid and remain there for the duration of the
    debuff. It cannot be dispelled.

The hardmode of this fight increases the health of the boss, the lightning conductors and the adds. It also reduces
    the time in which the conductors must be killed within to 5 seconds. In addition to his phase two abilities, he will
    also cast Elemental Shift, granting him the ability to reflect a random school of magic back at the caster for 10 seconds.
    The boss will continue to cast Arc Lightning during phase three. Electrical Zones will not spawn during phase four,
    meaning stacks of Thunderous Rage cannot be removed.

Re: Creating your own raid boss

greatest wall of text ever.
    Warriors' Armory profile: http://armory.wow-europe.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Agamaggan&cn=Vikon
    Mages' Armory profile: http://armory.wow-europe.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Agamaggan&cn=Goatluver

i kinda liked it, but killing 4 lightning generator things with 4.5 mil would be kinda hard in 10 seconds of eachother

Nah, considering it's ICC, most difficult raid in wotlk (or so I'd imagine) and it's also on 25, 4.5 mil sounds like a reasonable amount. Just split the raid into a few different groups, 1-2 melee per conductor cause of chain lightning, and a few ranged. Granted it would take time but hey, better than a crappy 2 min encounter like some fights.

Lets... fix some ideas and numbers.

Lightning Conductor 3m HP / 25man

Bone Construct Boss 18m HP/ 25 man

Phase 1
    There are 4 lightning conductors around a platform, each having 3m HPs. The boss starts with 100 stacks of Lightning Shield, reducing total damage done to him by 99%. The 1 stack of Lightning Shield is sufficient to keep up the 99% damage reduction. All four conductors have to be DPS'ed down within 10 seconds of each other or the boss will do an ability called Blackout, which is a hard enrage and will wipe the raid. Each conductor will do a Chain Lightning ability, dealing between 5,000 - 6,000 damage and jumping to nearby targets within 10 yards, dealing 30% more each time it jumps.

Once all 4 conductors are destroyed, phase 2 starts.

Phase 2
    A ball lightning is spawned in the air in the middle of the room. The ball lightning will shoot out tendrils on the ground, and after 8 seconds, will shoot out a lightning bolt. The objective of phase 2 is to drag the boss to the tendrils which will shortcircuit the boss's lightning shield, hereby reducing it by a maximum of 25 stacks; the closer the boss is to the tendrils the more stacks he'll lose. After bringing down the boss to 0 stacks, he'll go into stasis and be vulnerable to all hits for 20 seconds. This continues until he reaches 70%.

Phase 3
    The boss will jump to the center of the platform once he reaches 70% and cast a 4 second spell called Arc Lightning. Players who are not standing under the boss will suffer 65k nature damage. After casting Arc Lightning, he'll start another 4 second cast called Shattering Pound, doing 35k physical damage to all targets within 20 yards of the boss. He'll cast these abilities every 30 seconds. In the 22 seconds he is not casting these abilities, he casts Chain Lightning on the raid.

Phase 4
    This starts when the boss hits 40%. He'll keep casting Arc Lightning but stop casting Shattering Pound. He will also cast a Chain Lightning that caps at 4 targets. Every 15 seconds, the boss will gain a stacking buff that adds 10% melee damage in the form of nature damage. This buff stacks to 99 times. Every 45 seconds, he'll summon in a pack of abominations with 200k HPs each that targets a random person and slowly walks to them. If they reach the person, they'll eat the person, causing instant death.

Burn the boss, and collect loots.

I like some of the ideas, but a few things I'd like to add:

Quote Originally Posted by Raktor
    Each conductor will do a Chain Lightning ability, dealing between 5,000 - 6,000 damage and jumping to nearby targets within 10 yards, dealing 30% more each time it jumps.
    5-6k damage? That is a very small amount of damage for a 25 man raid instance that is supposed to be the most challenging in the game so far, with the exception of the hardmode version. The whole point of the chain lightning attack, and the fact it's damage increases on each jump, was to emphasize the fact that the raid must be spread out, not just a no-brainer "must heal damage" sort of thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raktor
    Every 45 seconds, he'll summon in a pack of abominations with 200k HPs each that targets a random person and slowly walks to them.
    On a similar note to before, 200k hp? on a difficult 25 man encounter in ICC, you would surely expect a lot more? The only exception would be if there are like 10+ adds spawned at a time. Otherwise, I would be looking at something closer to 1 million, if not more.
    I like the ideas though, keep them coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Pwdguize
    I like some of the ideas, but a few things I'd like to add:
    5-6k damage? That is a very small amount of damage for a 25 man raid instance that is supposed to be the most challenging in the game so far, with the exception of the hardmode version. The whole point of the chain lightning attack, and the fact it's damage increases on each jump, was to emphasize the fact that the raid must be spread out, not just a no-brainer "must heal damage" sort of thing.On a similar note to before, 200k hp? on a difficult 25 man encounter in ICC, you would surely expect a lot more? The only exception would be if there are like 10+ adds spawned at a time. Otherwise, I would be looking at something closer to 1 million, if not more.
    I like the ideas though, keep them coming.
    I agree that the chain lightning damage should be higher. However, I have a slightly different idea on how the aboms could work.

Rather than a pack every 45 seconds, make it two mobs every 10 seconds. As soon as one dies, the other "Absorbs the essence of its fallen comrade!" and gains 100k health and heals to full. (I.E, two 200k hp mobs are attacking. Once one dies, the other full heals to 300k hp). Rather than using abominations though, let's use something more mechanical, simply to fit the idea of one of the mobs repairing/improving itself. Also, if the add is hit by Arc Lightning, it will "Juice Up!" and gain another 100k hp and 50% movement speed.

On "hard mode," These adds could always spawn already "Juiced", and go into a hard enrage if hit by the lightning. This would turn the encounter into a very tightly tuned dps race during the last phase.

Just my idea.

Quote Originally Posted by almightypancake
    I agree that the chain lightning damage should be higher. However, I have a slightly different idea on how the aboms could work.

Rather than a pack every 45 seconds, make it two mobs every 10 seconds. As soon as one dies, the other "Absorbs the essence of its fallen comrade!" and gains 100k health and heals to full. (I.E, two 200k hp mobs are attacking. Once one dies, the other full heals to 300k hp). Rather than using abominations though, let's use something more mechanical, simply to fit the idea of one of the mobs repairing/improving itself. Also, if the add is hit by Arc Lightning, it will "Juice Up!" and gain another 100k hp and 50% movement speed.

On "hard mode," These adds could always spawn already "Juiced", and go into a hard enrage if hit by the lightning. This would turn the encounter into a very tightly tuned dps race during the last phase.

Just my idea.
    I like the idea, it adds some extra importance to the Arc Lightning ability, if you screw up and die, you're increasing the chance the adds will reach the raid, and consume a raid member, in turn increasing the likelyhood of a wipe. Also, about the adds, it's even more complex in itself. (This is assuming the buff the add gains from it's partner dying stacks, and affects all nearby adds). Say, if two adds spawn, each with 200k, and you manage to down one before the next pack arrives, you now have three adds up, one with 300k, and two with 200k, you down the one with 300k, now giving you two adds with 300k, the next wave arrives, you now have two adds with 300k, and two with 200k, so on and so forth.. effectively creating a sort of soft enrage timer in itself. Combined with the stacking Thunderous Rage, it'll be the perfect gear/skill checker for any raiders wishing to progress further in the instance. Much like Brutallus or Patchwerk40, I like it.

10+ Year Old Account

People would QQ and it'd be nerfed :-\

lmfao yeah man, you're telling me :-[

Deleted

Welfaron the Loot Giver

He should stand in the middle on 1 big square-shaped room, no adds.

Hits 6-10k on a tank, not more because casual tanks usually don't have the time to get def cap so they could see the content(meaning loot of course) too.
    Abilities:
    boast - /yells random sentences about how awesome he is and how puny the raid members are to give the raid a feeling of achievement when you down him.
    slap - slaps the tank, giving them a "insulted" debuff. This debuff increases tanks health by 20000 and threat generated by 50%.
    spawn fire - 20s CD, spawns a small fire under a random raid member doing 100 damage per second till they move out of it. "raiding is hard, sometimes there is fire, you mustnt stand in the fire(at least not indefinately)"

Loot - all t10(25 or 10 pieces, depending on the mode, all Relentless pieces)

Achievements

The awesome! - gives title - the Awesome, kill Welfaron without dying in the fires.
    No lifer - kill Welfaron under 10m with at least one raid member not AFK, eating or BrB.

Quote Originally Posted by Mogrutana
    People would QQ and it'd be nerfed :-\
    The monstrous whirling blade abomination constructs would turn into level 1 penguin critters and give free health potions to all members of the raid. Also, the boss wouldn't actually fight you, you'd have to /tickle him until he gave you a loot chest.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by ita
    Welfaron the Loot Giver

He should stand in the middle on 1 big square-shaped room, no adds.

Hits 6-10k on a tank, not more because casual tanks usually don't have the time to get def cap so they could see the content(meaning loot of course) too.
    Abilities:
    boast - /yells random sentences about how awesome he is and how puny the raid members are to give the raid a feeling of achievement when you down him.
    slap - slaps the tank, giving them a "insulted" debuff. This debuff increases tanks health by 20000 and threat generated by 50%.
    spawn fire - 20s CD, spawns a small fire under a random raid member doing 100 damage per second till they move out of it. "raiding is hard, sometimes there is fire, you mustnt stand in the fire(at least not indefinately)"

Loot - all t10(25 or 10 pieces, depending on the mode, all Relentless pieces)

Achievements

The awesome! - gives title - the Awesome, kill Welfaron without dying in the fires.
    No lifer - kill Welfaron under 10m with at least one raid member not AFK, eating or BrB.
    Win.

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by ita
    Remake to
    "Die to fires during the Welfaron encounter"
    Title = The Unpugable (this title is absolute and has to be displayed until defeating Arthas on heroic mode)

On a conceptual level it seems simple. P1 spread out and kill towers together, P2 kite him into lightning, P3 run under, run out, blow up adds. P4 kite him into lightning again.

Here's something I came up with:

Phase 1
    Conductors are unkillable and each has a colour associated with them. Every so often they all cast chain lightning on the closest target which can chain onto the boss himself. The goal is to get the boss hit with a chain lightning from each of the 4 conductors at the same time. Doing so reduces one of his buff stacks/makes him more vulnerable/etc and is essential to beating the boss either through enrage timer or what not. Room size and chaining distance are set such that the majority of the raid is required to help form the chain. Everytime a player gets hit with a chain lightning they get debuffed making them immune to that conductor/color, forcing them to rotate to a different conductor.

Boss still does his Arc Lightning/Shattering Pound combo, and when doing so he also randomly changes the colours of the conductors. This adds a layer of complexity to the conductor rotations such that players are not simply rotating 90 degrees every chain lightning and need to identify where to run to after Arc Lightning.

Phase 2
    the same as before but with periodically spawning adds. Adds are untankable and randomly run around attacking players and stacking a slowing debuff on them down. Kill fast or you cant avoid Arc Lightning quickly enough.

Other random stuff that can happen throughout:
    *Boss stacks a dot/debuff on tanks forcing tank swaps.
    *Every Xseconds the boss casts Static Reversal debuff on a random players. It's undispellable and lasts 5~ seconds. When debuffed, rverytime a player would heal or cast a beneficial spell they damage the target instead and vice versa, when they would damage a target they heal it. After its duration it jumps to a random target within X meters. The longer you take, the more these accumulate.
    *Include enrages/berserks and whatever random raid damage is needed. All numbers tweaked for intended gear level and difficulty.

Deleted

King Penguin boss

/thread

Deleted

Ok here is a older suggestion of me which i updated. The fight takes place in icc. Where you can witness a battle between the black dragon Neltharu and Arthas. Arthas kills the dragon and resurrects him as a magmawyrm. The fight takes place on a courtyard outside of icecrown.

Phase 1: The corpse of Neltharu gets revieved by Arthas and flies over the ground. But Muradin/Saurfang comes to aid the player. They spawn 5 Gyrokopter and 5 Gryphons/Windrider to destroy the magic barrier that surrounds the boss. The Boss flies over the centre of the courtyard and does not move. The Gryphons should be on the left side of the boss and the Gyrokopter on the right side.
    Gryphon: 100k Life Points. Flying Speed: 60%.
    Stormhammer: Deals 2k Damage to the Target and increases the natur damage it takes by 1%(stackable 100 times).
    Taunt: Forces the boss to attack you for 6sek.
    Stormvolley: Deals 200k Naturedamage to the target and heals the Gryphons for every stack of the Stormhammer debuff by 1%. Must be used by all 12 Gryphons within 3sek.
    Stormlightning: Deals 100k Damage in a small area on the ground.

Gyrokopter: 100k Hp. Flying Speed: 200%.
    Firebomb: Deals 1k Damage to the target and leaves a DoT which deals 1k Damage every second for 30sek(stackable 10 times which only increases the damage but not resets the timer)
    Flameexplosion: Deals 10k Damage to the boss for every stack of the Firebomb DoT and interrupts Wrath of Flame Must be used by all 13 Gyrokopters within 3sek.

Neltharu, Wrath of the Night: Is surrounded by a barrier which has 15 Million Life Points
    Wrath of Shadow: Deals 12k Damage to the target every second over 6sek. Is used on the target which taunts the boss at the moment.
    Wrath of Flame(3sek casttime): Deals 100k Damage to all targets on the right side of the boss. Can be used while he is casting Wrath of Shadow.
    Reinforcements: Every 100sek the boss gets unattackable. On the right side of the boss spawn 75 Ghouls . They attack the Gryphons after 20sek with spikes and deal 5k Damage with every hit. On the right side spawn some Fireballs which deal 50k Damage when touched. After 30sek the boss continuous to attack.
    After the barrier is destroyed the boss burns and falls to the floor. Now the second Phase starts.

29 Million Life Points

Enrage: After 8min the boss enrages and kills the raid instantly.

45k Damage with every hit, which is divided between two targets in front of the Boss. Attackspeed: 2.3

Black Flame: Deals 30k Damage to all players in front of the boss.

Tail swipe: Deals 50k Damage to all Players behind the boss

Black Claw: Deals 12k Damage to all players in melee range.

He also casts 5 Curses on 15 random players every 22sek. The first tick of the curses starts 2sek after they were casted. The curses are not removable and last 22sek. He can´t cast the curses on the two players in front of him.

Curse of Life: Is used on healers. Increases the healing by 200%. But if the affected player heals the players in front of the boss the curse deals 500k Damage to him.

Curse of stagnation: The affected player is not allowed to move or use any abilities. If he does so the curse deals 500k Damage to him. Healers could not be affected by this curse.

Curse of Wrath: The affected players deal 100% more damage, but if they deal more than 160k damage to the boss while affected by curse of wrath, the curse will deal 500k shadow damage to them.

Curse of eternal shadow: The affected players are teleported to the other side of the courtyard. The players must return to the boss within 20sek or the curse deals 500k Damage to him. On the courtyard the are shadowballs which only the affected players can see. They deal 8k Damage when touched and move around. The affected players has to avoid these balls and survive the running of the gauntlet.

Curse of suffering: Deals Damage equal to 90% of the afflicted players maximum health every 3sek. The afflicted player gets doubled healing from the player afflicted with curse of life.

When Neltharu reaches 50%, Phase 3 starts.

45k Damage with every hit, which is divided between two targets in front of the Boss. Attackspeed: 2

Black Flame: Deals 30k Damage to all players in front of the boss.

Tail swipe: Deals 50k Damage to all Players behind the boss

Black Claw: Deals 12k Damage to all players in melee range.

Curse of Death: Is cast on every player. If a player hits the boss critical the curse deals 5k Damage to him. Lasts for 15sek. Has a cooldown of 30sek.

Fire pillars: Three red and three black Fire pillars spawn on the courtyard when the third phase starts. They have random aggro and chase random targets. They deal 8k Damage every second if a player touches them. If the pillars touch eachother they disappear and an Angry Fireelemental spawns. The fire pillars despawn when the boss is dead.

Angry Fireelemental: 1 Million Life Points
    10k Damage on Tank. Attackspeed: 2
    Fireaura: Deals 7k Damage every second to every player in range of 50 meters.

Behind the boss spawn two new Gryphons/Windrider. Two players have to get on this Gryphons because on the other side of the courtyard Bone Constructs start to spawn. Every Construct that reaches the boss heals him for 5% of his total health.