Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: Am I Tanking Correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronark
    No Vindication can be dependent upon group makeup.
    I still prefer being able to put it up myself for picking up adds / dedicated tanking / 10 mans ,and sacrificing a small amount of threat for it (usually in the form of 2% crit) really doesn't hurt - at all.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Nillo
    I still prefer being able to put it up myself for picking up adds / dedicated tanking / 10 mans ,and sacrificing a small amount of threat for it (usually in the form of 2% crit) really doesn't hurt - at all.
    True: But usually the guild relies on me to do it, upon other things.

Its funny when I think about it, because with just me being in raid, I increase everyone's DPS by so much

True: But usually the guild relies on me to do it, upon other things.
    I'd make sure to have enough soulstones in the Raid so you can debuff all 4 of the Anub adds, before they hit me :> (and you know how greedy Jeeves is)

15+ Year Old Account

I'd make sure to have enough soulstones in the Raid so you can debuff all 4 of the Anub adds, before they hit me :> (and you know how greedy Jeeves is)
    Its called Divine Storm.

Its called Divine Storm.
    I think you missed the "before they hit me" part

15+ Year Old Account

I didn't see anyone mention Blood Draining, I was under the impression that leap frogging is no longer possible so it shouldn't be an issue, no?

15+ Year Old Account

sacrificing a small amount of threat for it (usually in the form of 2% crit) really doesn't hurt - at all.
    its not like you need that threat :P

I think you missed the "before they hit me" part
    Moot point, you can't guarantee it will be up immediately be up as a tank either. Imp demo shout is still better as you can always count on it being up.

Vindications is good, especially in small groups. It's an optional talent next to conviction and PoJ. You only need 5 points between those three talents to reach crusade, nothing more. Please don't turn this into another thread where we bitch about the optional talents in ret for a few pages and get nothing done.

EDIT: The hell it's telling me "my last post from this IP was less then 15 seconds ago, GG spammer" and not letting me reply. I'll append it here for the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardolan
    Assuming it will still be there, they'll probably shift over to Seals of the Pure. It rather depends on what's left, and reachable, after the necessary tanking talents have been taken though.
    Early ret is still preferable. Many talents like vindication and PoJ are quite useful tanking talents (not to mention deflection and 1/2 imp judge being necessary). With conviction/crusade gone, SotP is your next best threat option.

But remember that all talents tree will be going under heavy changes, not really worth speculating right now.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Offhand
    Moot point, you can't guarantee it will be up immediately be up as a tank either. Imp demo shout is still better as you can always count on it being up.

Vindications is good, especially in small groups. It's an optional talent next to conviction and PoJ. You only need 5 points between those three talents to reach crusade, nothing more. Please don't turn this into another thread where we bitch about the optional talents in ret for a few pages and get nothing done.
    As brought up in another thread, its nice to have [Vindication] but its not needed- As you mentioned above, you only need 5 points to get to Crusade.

Side note, Im interested to see how Prot Paladin builds will evolve once Crusade and Conviction are removed as talents.

Most shaman's never use Sentry Totem, but if they knew about the bug with Sentry Totem they would use it a lot more =).

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Side note, Im interested to see how Prot Paladin builds will evolve once Crusade and Conviction are removed as talents.
    Assuming it will still be there, they'll probably shift over to Seals of the Pure. It rather depends on what's left, and reachable, after the necessary tanking talents have been taken though.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Cardolan
    Hence why I said "are removed as talents"

10+ Year Old Account

Hence why I said "are removed as talents"
    Hahahaha, hes a draenei.
    Damn they are ugly.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Millen91
    Hahahaha, hes a draenei.
    Damn they are ugly.
    +1% Hit, +JC skill, +HoT, +Combat Animation +Plate look, +Kilt look > Stoneform

As I reckon from blizzcon, you still need to get down to ret tree to get some +dmg% bonus. So we may again be going to ret tree for best threat options unless holy tree will give us any other thing than +heal%. As Offhand mentioned no need to speculate much though, we'll see in 1-2 months anyway.

First there are lots of missing enchants:
    Shoulders: PVP enchant (10000 Honor in Stormwind) or Hodir Reputation enchant (hard to get and not that much better)
    Cloak : 16 Def (Armor or 22 Agility if you're already Def crit capped)
    Chest : 22 Def (Hp if you're already Def Crit capped)
    Bracers : 40 Stamina
    Gloves: 20 Hit (Threat) or 18 Stamina (Health) or 20 Agility (Avoidance)
    Belt: Eternal Belt Buckle with a 24 or 30 stamina gem
    Legs: 55 Stamina 22 Agility Armor Kit
    Boots : 22 Stamina
    Weapon : Blade Warding (Avoidance) or Accuracy (threat) or Weapon Chain (Cheap).

Next your gems are a mess:
    Pure stamina in Blue slots
    Stamina/Def in yellow slots (if you apply the enchants as described above you ought to be Def-Crit-Softcapped so no need for pure def gems)
    Agility/Stamina in red slots

Never ever gem orange gems (like that parry/def thingie there) or pure def (unless you really can't reach the Def-Crit-Softcap in another way)

Finally your spec/glyphs fails hard:
    You need Glyph of Divine Plea
    Seals of the Pure is not that great and those 3 points you spent in holy are uber crap.
    You don't have Touched by the Light

take this one:
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala..._9eYb,Hr,10676
    3rd Glyph is personal choice : Hammer of the Righteous or Righteous Defense are decent here.

Okay soo alllllllll that plus this little advice...I noticed you still had some blue items. Just easy as running lots of heroics would get you to at least 200 level item gear dropping and 226 gear badges. So run a lot until you get that gear score up.
    "I know your $14.99 entitles you to play the game your way, but the rest of the raid's $359.76 says know your role."

You've been running heroics for weeks but there is a real lack of Conquest emblem items.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilevra
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...roth&n=Kilevra

That's my gear, and I hit Def. Cap, and I've been running heroics, and only Heroics for weeks. I can't seem to get a Naxx, Maly, or OS group as a Tank. I've done all of these fights before as Ret (my Ret gear is FAR from being good) but it just seems people do not want me as a Tank. Is there any logic behind this? I keep threat on me, but I need to start getting into 25's and U-10's / ToC 10's if I want to progress, but I can't get any groups. Do I not have good enough gear/avoidance/health, whatever it may be, or are people just so far ahead of that content that they do not want to participate in it? I have been thinking about just going back to Holy, because I was raiding as Holy through OS and Naxx in the early days. I just enjoy seeing content ad bosses, gear isn't relevant to me, but I need it to progress. Any help with this is greatly appreciated.
    I think you are just finding yourself suffering from a common problem these days. The gear level is so inflated now, as its so easy to gear up, but no one will take you on "easy" runs, because you're not geared up enough to get geared up more. For a good idea of how inflated gear is now, my protection paladin is in almost all 226 (Uld 25) gear still, as I have switched mains to a bear tank, and she has about 36.5k unbuffed health, nearly 10k over your current armory, not to mention I probably have lots more avoidance, block value, etc. I don't point this out to flame or anything close to that, just to provide you an example of how unfortunate you situation is. My old tank is a tier + behind all current raiders and is that much more geared than you are now. This current system is both new/alt friendly and unfriendly at the same time. My advice would be to find a guild that would take you in that is in a similar spot, maybe mains or alts that are at the same gear level who not only mind running those instances with you, but would love to gear up as well. Here is a link to the current spec I use on my paladin:

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZV0t...Iufdxf0x0c:pGN

It is a variation on the standard build taken to be the best for avoidance/threat/survival. You mentioned you don't have a problem with threat, but as you said you have just run heroics thus far, and I'm not saying you don't know how to play, because its not all that hard to figure out, but in a raid situation, you never know which dps is going to go balls out and you'll want all those extra threat talents propping you up; better safe than sorry. As for the glyph choices, first 2 mandatory third optional. I use hammer because the extra target makes tanking trash more reliable (lazy) which sometimes, is needed. One of the first replies, I did not read all of them, had the right idea with getting enchants and gems up to par, although I tend to favor dodge/stam or Str/stam for my red slots usually just to activate my meta and not for a socket bonus unless its really good.

P.S. You are over hit cap, but 20 hit on gloves still isn't a bad idea to keep as you don't know what you will be upgrading quickly and what stats you will trade off. As is your taunts will never miss, making your choice for your third glyph easier, but keep that in mind when hovering around the hit cap. I hope some of this was of help, providing you are still checking responses, and if you are new to pally tanking I suggest just hitting up a few forums like EJs and looking up the 696 (969) rotation, very easy to pull off and learn, and will keep you performing at top notch. Good luck and don't get down over pugs that do or do not happen for you, you'll get around to the instances you want in no time.

Ok, first of all, I'm NOT a tankadin, but that doesn't mean I dont know what I'm talking about

I understand why people don't want to groupe with you, your whole spec sucks... you've skipped out on the prot pala's 2 most important treath abilities.. GET DIVINE STRENGHT AND TOUCHED BY THE LIGHT!!! (damnit)

ench your gear
    Do VoA hc and Norm each week.. (after you get a desent spec you WILL get invites)
    Keep running Hc's + daily HC.. After 2 week you should have t8,5 chest / helm + t9 shoulders,
    As someone mentioned, level your profs.. that's like 1,2k more health :3

aaand.. that's it basically^^ Do these things and you will get into toc 10 mans in no time*
    I've no idea what to write here.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by cappytoi
    As I reckon from blizzcon, you still need to get down to ret tree to get some +dmg% bonus. So we may again be going to ret tree for best threat options unless holy tree will give us any other thing than +heal%. As Offhand mentioned no need to speculate much though, we'll see in 1-2 months anyway.
    With what was show at Blizzcon, it might be better to go down the Holy tree for +Spell Damage and +Spell Crit. But yeah, we'll know by the end of 2009 most likely.