Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst

Re: Tankadin weapon choice

Quote Originally Posted by Nienniora
    soft cap is 26..
    aye, sorry about that, was poor wording. soft cap is idd 26, and the hard cap is 56. Having over 26 is by no means a bad thing, tho.
    http://armory.wow-europe.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Dragonblight&n=Potus

Quote Originally Posted by Melonberry
    http://www.wowhead.com/?item=34207 I'd take this over the other options (As there really aren't good glove enchants)
    Can't check wowhead as I am work. Which is that?

This one! Sorry could not resist!

Quote Originally Posted by DaLeetPawner
    if your raiding ICC, go for the wrist chopper since Dodge will be nearly as useless as AP gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sighh
    I really like when a douche puts words in my mouth. I never said dodge was worthless or anything even close, I was explaining why it was being bashed.

And god forbid you use the avoidance stats that arent getting reduced.
    we were, or at least I was replying to "Daleetpowner" not to you. Anyone who says that dodge is useless is a moron. Anyone who says parry is more valuable than dodge needs to look at the math on diminishing returns again to realize that you still need more parry to get 1% avoidance than dodge at ICC gear levels.

Anyone who espouses pure block raiting/block value sets or using 5% block over 2% dodge in a boss(as maintank, not talking about anub adds) fight doesn't understand avoidance vs mitigation.
    Nothing has changed for our stat priority. I wish people would understand that.

Quote Originally Posted by rockadin
    Hey there folks,

I currently have several tank weapons in my bags, namely:

http://db.mmo-champion.com/i/50268/rimefangs-claw/

http://db.mmo-champion.com/i/50290/f...wrist-chopper/

http://db.mmo-champion.com/i/47500/peacekeeper-blade/
    (This is what I currently use with a 30 sta gem in it + blade ward),

Now I have no clue which weapon is the best choice to be tanking with.. Some advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Peacekeeper's Blade is poop. The end.

Falric's Wrist Chopper is also shit, as block value is next to useless.

Rimefang's Claw is good. It make have less dodge than Falric's Wrist Chopper, but totally avoiding an attack half as much is a lot better than blocking 20% of it.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by rockadin
    Isn't 2% extra threat good?
    No, it's not a large enough increase to make any difference whatsoever. It's not good when you're gearing, and it's not good when you're geared - it's simply never good. You can essentially think of Armsman as 10 parry rating, which is total crap for an enchant.

The armor enchant has been mentioned, as has agility, and I'll add my personal choice of the Heavy Borean Armor Kit which is an extra 18 stamina on gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighh
    And god forbid you use the avoidance stats that arent getting reduced.
    People are making fun of you because this statement makes no sense under current game mechanics.

The 20% comes off the top after DR, it has absolutely no impact on the conversion of rating to % avoidance. Assuming you don't have a ton of parry for some reason, a point of dodge rating will provide more avoidance than a point of parry rating, the ICC debuff has absolutely no impact on this what so ever.

Do i have too much parry?

(character sheet dodge % - 10) / (character sheet parry % - 10)

If the above evaluates to less than 1.88, dodge is a better stat, if its above 1.88 parry is a better stat.

As a side note, defense rating almost always provides more avoidance per point of rating than dodge or parry. However, you do have to consider the stepwise conversion from defense rating to defense skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Aedh
    It's a personal choice. My view is if you want more threat your first place to pick it up would be with a dps weapon with a dps enchant. But my guildies think I'm a crack pot for wanting more threat/damage by using slow 1hand weapons, even though the 2 other active pally tanks have questionable specs and use armsman. I use +agil to gloves. I'd have to wait till Iget home to check what it gives me vs armsman, but I get slightly more armor some crit and dodge vs some parry.
    About vindication. Sure you got a ret pally that has it. What if the ret does something stupid and dies or is tasked to dps over mobs while you are all alone tanking the big very angry boss with no attack power reduction effect. You should always bring your own debuffs if you can.
    As a general rule of thumb, 0.1 weapon speed translates to ~20 TPS increase. This isn't gamebreaking in any way as swapping from a tank weapon to a slow dps weapon only nets about a 100 TPS threat gain. Then you need to consider the stat differences. Tank weapons could have strength, stam, hit, expertise, def, dodge, and parry. Slow dps weapons will have a combination of agi, stam, haste, crit, ArP, hit, and expertise. If you only look at weapon damage the difference is quite clear. However, giving up a tanking weapon means giving up strength, our highest threat stat for a ToC geared tank. The stat weights for agi, crit, haste, and ArP are all quite abysmal (less then 1/3 that of STR) and AP is mediocre (2 AP is roughly half as good as 1 str). In a "threat is all that matters" situation, slow agi-based weapons are indeed the best setup. For most fights, I'm not willing to make that trade. So long as you have aggro it doesn't matter exactly what your TPS is, anything more is excessive and just additional DPS on the boss.

Ideally, you can go for the best of both worlds and find a relatively slow tank weapon, such as Troggbane, when it becomes available.

@Rockadin: Sent in a PM.

Agreed. You also have to factor in whether or not you have any points in reckoning, which is awesome for heroics/trash less so for raid bosses.
    I only use a slow weapon for heroics, farming and pvp.

Quote Originally Posted by balloonknot
    People are making fun of you because this statement makes no sense under current game mechanics.

The 20% comes off the top after DR, it has absolutely no impact on the conversion of rating to % avoidance. Assuming you don't have a ton of parry for some reason, a point of dodge rating will provide more avoidance than a point of parry rating, the ICC debuff has absolutely no impact on this what so ever.

Do i have too much parry?

(character sheet dodge % - 10) / (character sheet parry % - 10)

If the above evaluates to less than 1.88, dodge is a better stat, if its above 1.88 parry is a better stat.

As a side note, defense rating almost always provides more avoidance per point of rating than dodge or parry. However, you do have to consider the stepwise conversion from defense rating to defense skill.
    all pally tanks with gem issues -> read this post (dont get it) read it again

& if you still dont get it, read it untill the penny drops

bump

What would be the best enchant on Black Icicle for rushing through heroics?

zerking or accuracy most likely

Quote Originally Posted by anazei
    What would be the best enchant on Black Icicle for rushing through heroics?
    Accuracy under hit cap.

i use http://db.mmo-champion.com/i/50268/rimefangs-claw/ because its sexy and also happens to be the best of the 3 u linked.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

i always thought it was funny when people said dodge would become useless..

it's a static, subtractive reduction. it's not divided, so it's not like dodge is half as valuable. That would be unnecessarily, unfairly, and incredibly harshly nerfing druid tanks.

Imagine, if you will. You have 30% Dodge, 20% Parry. You have 50% avoidance. Reduce by 20%, 30% avoidance.

now.. you You have 35% dodge, 20% parry, 55% avoidance, reduce by 20%.. 35% avoidance.. it's just a reduction of dodge..

it has no bearing on diminishing returns, stat -> % conversions, or anything like that.. dodge is worth the same now as it was last patch, you're just going to dodge LESS.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Dethecus&n=Solandrys

Quote Originally Posted by Eats Compost
    Rimefang's Claw in my opinion, but don't take my word for it.
    “Bunter is like Voltron, except he’s just one guy instead of a pack of lions.”