Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Gem for Sta or avoidance?

After having seen your armory profile, I'd be inclined to change some of the stam+def gems to stam+avoidance instead. Otherwise it's looking great, you have more than enough health.
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Dunemaul&n=misazadia

Quote Originally Posted by Doylez
    What about the socket bonus? Let's say you have a red (yellow) socket and the bonus is +6 stamina.
    Do you take:
    - 30 stamina without bonus
    or
    - 15+6=21 stamina + 10 AGI (10 Defense)

What if the socket bonus is 9 Stamina?
    Dunno if that's a stupid question I just started tanking on my paladin :O
    if the socket bonus is stam (which a lot of them are), I will go for stam/avoidance.

hit/expertise is nice if you aren't capped, but I personally don't stress heavily on it. I've even set my hit cap 1% lower cos of dreanei racial, and expertise is something I'm trying to get rid off cos I already have vengence glyph and I don't need much from gear.

having too much stam is useless imo. I think it's pointless running around with 50k HP raid buff and still go for stam gem. If you can reduce the avoidance penalty, your survivability will be much better.

Stupid reply is stupid... at the moment, with decent healers, there's no need for tanks with immense health.
    It's a general misconception, born in the earlier raids, that the more health a tank has the better he is.

Currently I'm tanking with 563 def, 30.%5 dodge, 21% parry, 16.5% block and "only" 34.7k hp unbuffed, with no problem at all........

OP, I wouldn't go as far as to say that you should regem all stam (like some noobs here are saying)... that would be really silly. If you can match it up (with dual stat gems) to stay around the cap then that is fine, but going for the 50k+ hp mark or someting like that. What's the freaking point? There is NO burst damage that validates extreme hp like that... Wait and see what Fester, Rot and Putri brings.

Also note, that when next exp comes, people who celebrate hp can stick it up their ass instead, avoidance ftw.
    Tank Gormok in ToGC 25 get owned then QQ then retract statement. Healing YOU may not be a problem if u are the only one being healed. effective Health still wins. But When RNG bites u in the ass and your dead then good day to you sir

Quote Originally Posted by Boldy
    mmmm.... you quoted my post... still you didn't bother to read it? lol
    I did read it, I was refering to these parts

First of all, you cannot have over 100% avoidance.

And stop saying you have over 100% avoidance... mkay

Good luck!
    Perhaps you didn't understand my post
    "Peace is a lie"

this is from my own personal experience as a tank, i rarely raid anymore and i just play to enjoy the game rather than turn it into a second job, so if you are not like me and you are a hardcore raider then read the forums where the harcore raiders post all the time like Elitist Jerks or Tank Spot, my comments are not to be followed like rules, if you do and you raid hardcore, you will be ridiculed by your guild and raid leader.

personally i just gem for the stam, i'm a stam whore and i like to see HUGE HP on my tank, all my avoidance comes from my gear, if i don't like a certain item for its stats, there are always other options to take like the Blacksmithing items or non set-bonus epics that from from raid bosses, i've got 4 /5 tier 9 on my pally and 2 BS crafted items, i've only got 2 gems that aren't full stam gems and they are 10 def + 15 stam, and using an avoidance macro that i got from elitist jerks forums with Holy Shields on, i've got 107.3% avoidance, (when Redoubt procs i get up to 137.3% avoidance) it was alot higher, but lost a shitload of block when i switched to tier 9 kinda sucks but if crushing blows were still a major part of tanking bosses, then i'd still be fine as you only needed a minimum of 102.4% combined avoidance to avoid taking a crushing blow, but since tanks don't ever have to worry about that anymore, i just gemmed for stam.

and to the fuckwit who said that tank need no hit rating... i tell you this now... shut ya fuckin pie hole til you have actually tanked for yourself to see what its like, i know from experience i used to have 6.3% hit rating in tank gear, made a few changed to gear lost a lot of hit rating (didn't notice it at the time) and when my TPS on OMEN went down by about 2K average i nearly shat myself, i asked the guildies on vent and one guy said check ya hit rating so i did... it was 0.94%... OMFG that was EPIC FAIL... quickly fixed that as fast as i could, my hit is back up to about 4% now and my threat is so much fuckin better for it

Saurfang is basically a %avoidance fight for any tank... you have to maximize this in order to get hit less often so he gain less bloodcrap.

While in ToC25/ToGC25 the gemming was full stamina... in ICC things change. I suggest for ALL the tanks to go with mixed gems. (go for stamina socket bonuses)
    Try to get avoidance as well as stamina.
    first saurfang get bloodcrap when he swings, doesn't matter you avoid it or not. that's another reason why it is impossible to 1 tank him.

second you don't know what next bosses will bring on table nor if they need a high HP requirement or not (also will be mostly true for heroic modes when they unlocked), that is why EH gear called progression gear nowadays. and i am pretty sure you can still do ToGC 25 since people still need gear from there meaning you still need that EH gear. sure you can go with avoidance in icecrown but using 2 avoidance trinkets not helping you on that, instead of ruining your progression gear?

side note: with 34k unbuffed hp try tanking anub 25 hc 3rd phase. if you are not doing heroic content you can gem for spellpower, doesn't matter.