Prot-Ret, PvP gear, or shieldblock gear?

Well harro. I've been Prot-Ret for a while now, and I'm wearing PvE protgear (2 pieces furi), with around 32k health unbuffed, 18% crit, and 2000 shieldblock value unbuffed (2450 with the Libram that I use, the Ilvl 226 from the conq. emblems) so I constantly run around with capped shieldblock value.

Whenever I meet other Prot-ret paladins on my server, they say that my gear is crap, and that I should get PvP gear because PvE gear sucks for protret. Does it really?

I remember some time ago, everyone said to go for shieldblock gear. So are these FOTM-prot-rets correct, or should I stick to my Shieldblock gear? I can pull out 6-7k crits with my shield 'slam', havent tried with only PvP gear (as I have mostly deadly, sadpanda). And my survability is okay, as its for 3s where I get healed, not solo PvP (in solo PvP as Prot-ret I get owned by most classes except from Rogues).

Anyways, how should I gear for Prot-ret? O.o

Re: Prot-Ret, PvP gear, or shieldblock gear?

I play protret for some time now too and play it in full relentless, the blockvalue only counts for shield slam (as i always call it) but your goal isnt to survive, its to kill with the tools prots have (and i love them). Str str str is all i have and 1o1 i only lose to mages (Give hof immune to dispell on self plzx). In arena's i almost pretty much rape healers solo (2k+ rating). Retri has a bit more burst but prot has the silence retri's need..

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Mielji
    I play protret for some time now too and play it in full relentless, the blockvalue only counts for shield slam (as i always call it) but your goal isnt to survive, its to kill with the tools prots have (and i love them). Str str str is all i have and 1o1 i only lose to mages (Give hof immune to dispell on self plzx). In arena's i almost pretty much rape healers solo (2k+ rating). Retri has a bit more burst but prot has the silence retri's need..
    were in luck come 4.0 because their making class specific buffs immune to dispell/spellsteal effects when you cast them on yourself.

Also I'd suggest getting the legs & bracers from WG then the chest, gloves & helm from arena. After that get the platinum disks of battle, greatness trinket & whatever high strength neck & rings you can find. If you make a macro to combine the platinum disks with avenging wrath & have the glyph for avengers shield you can have some amazing burst.
    The way balancing for WOW PVP works is allot like American politics.
    1: Be lazy & ignore problems till the yelling is so loud your cant concentrate.
    2: Refuse to do the things you have Said need to be done, then make up reasons why they cannot be done.
    3: Lay the blame for problems on someone else even when it's your fault because you did all of the above.

I have no idea what I'm gonna say, but this is what I'm thinking:

I've just recently try out prot-ret, and I have all the pieces to mix and match (cos I have like 5 sets of gear, PvE: heal, dps, tank, + PvP: furious dps and heal)

I got the dps axe off the first boss in FoS and used my tank shield + ret PvP for my prot-ret pvp set.

(assume hit capped)
    strength > crit > haste > expertise, and run around with SoV + glyph.

I would say gear your prot-ret like you would as a pure ret, because your role hasn't changed, it's still dps. The only difference is you are wielding a 1H+shield instead of a 2H.

The reason it works for warriors is due to sword and board, damage shield and shield block.
    The allow them to get more reflective damage, survivability and some epic burst out of it.

Paladins only have ShoR. We also do not have any way to reset the cooldown.
    Almost everything scales with str (HotR only scales slightly if I remember correct, but do not take my word for it).
    So PvP gear for sure!