Need major help boosting DPS!

Story: Class leader says that I need to pick up my DPS by about 1-2k other wise I'm getting the boot!

Armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...spear&n=Pinaka

OPening rotation: VT, MB, MF (3), DP, SW:P,(Pop Trinket 1) MB - Flay til MB is up, refresh Dots with priority being MB, VT, DP

Test dummy stuff

http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/q...710_210757.jpg
    http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/q...710_214755.jpg
    http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/q...710_215234.jpg

ANY help would be amazingly appreciated!!

Pinaka of Darkspear

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Need major help boosting DPS!

armory link?

armory link?
    It is there....

I don't know if it is just weird coloring in the SS, but it looks like you are using Flask of the North? USe frost wyrm.

Do you have a WWS? Easier to gauge dps and shtuff than looking at a ss of recount.

Your second trinket isn't the best for SP's, something like IDS or Eye of Brood mother is much better. Scale of Fates is quite good as well.

Could be a very small difference, but I open with VT, MB, DP, MF full or only 2 ticks, depending on how fast I need all the dots on, SWP, then prioritize VT,MB,DP in this order. About 2 seconds before BL is popped, potion, recast SWP. That's what I can help you with. DoT time should be >90%, MB I can't get it casted more then 8.5 seconds even on target dummy, guess my haste hates me. http://shadowpriest.com will help you. They say MB should be cast somewhere around 7.5 seconds. Cba to look at your gear or screenshots, all you need to know about this beautiful spec is on shadowpriest.com
    GL and let's all hope for a non-channeling filler for Cataclysm. Lag + bad fps + channeling = >

Deleted

Also, with the crystal trinket, pop it right before casting pain. Your pain will benefit for the whole fight from the crit rating since it's being refreshed all the time.

well with that kind of gear i don't think ur dummy dps is that bad.. (besides the last SS)
    anw what i'm doing is starting with MB - VT - DP - MF - MB - SW:P
    so i can have less collision at MB CDs and VT recast.
    besides that just master the rotation ... what kind of dps do u do in raids and in which raids and ur CL is telling u that u need to increase it by 1-2k? btw is he a shadowpriest or just priest class leader?
    Gems i see are fine and trinkets are ok though u could've had better ones for sure.. at least better than abyssal rune.
    Hope i helped :P if u anwser to my questions also i can help more

EDIT: Btw i'd strongly suggest a proffesion change --> JC/tailoring or JC/ench is the way to go :P

Cheers
    Zoulis
    Quote Originally Posted by Dierdre View Post
    We're driving lemon VWs while everyone else is driving Cadillacs. Warlocks are riding in a limo.
    Zoulr of Hexagon
    formerly Zoulis of Uknown Entity

Hey Pinaka, I used to play on Darkspear...are any of the origonal IWS players still playing?

<--Legoslayer/Serish/Sinfore/Stoo
    Quote Originally Posted by WyriHaximus
    We are battling big ass dragons, huge fire elementals, gone mad paladins and you worry about something small like this?

No, I think most of them left. I"m kinda a new raider XD

Quote Originally Posted by thebigspoon
    Story: Class leader says that I need to pick up my DPS by about 1-2k other wise I'm getting the boot!

Armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...spear&n=Pinaka

OPening rotation: VT, MB, MF (3), DP, SW:P,(Pop Trinket 1) MB - Flay til MB is up, refresh Dots with priority being MB, VT, DP

Test dummy stuff

http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/q...710_210757.jpg
    http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/q...710_214755.jpg
    http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/q...710_215234.jpg

ANY help would be amazingly appreciated!!

Pinaka of Darkspear
    You need to thorougly analyse your cast sequence, you have provided some of the necessary info and you seem to be looking at the right info but you haven't quite provided everything needed. The combat duration is needed to understand the context of the cast info... i can estimate this based on the SW:P ticks... assuming SW:P is up after VT, MB, DP, MF for 100% of the time and the fact SW:P ticks once every 3 seconds it would appear the first screenshot was a combat length of about 60*3 + 5 = 185 seconds. If that is about right you managed the following:

MB average cast time = 8.41 seconds
    VT uptime = 89.19%
    DP uptime = 93.24%
    MF average tick = 1.75 seconds

I ignore SW:P coz its irrelevant, it should just be up no issues.

MB really needs to be cast closer to 7.5 seconds, its probably blown out from the 7.2 which was achievable in 3.2 due to more VT/MB conflicts and the fact you prioritise DoTs over MB which wasn't the case before. 8.41 seconds is still a poor result, you probably missed out on casting 3 or so MB's which is 10 - 15K worth of damage.

VT and DP really need to be close to a 100% uptime now, they are the highest priority, you are either clipping the last tick of these spells or not refreshing them nearly quickly enough. As a result you missed out on 7 VT ticks & 4 DP ticks, this would equate to something around 25K damage or perhaps higher.

MF ticks can be cast a lot quicker than once every 1.75 seconds, you should be seeing something along the lines of 1.5 seconds (maybe a tad higher now but nothing above 1.6 seconds). If you were at 1.5 seconds you would have seen another 14 MF ticks which is about 35K damage.

So in total you've missed out on 65K damage by not having your priority working as effective as it can. 65K damage over 185 seconds is roughly 350 DPS...

In the last screenshot you've done a lot better, again without knowing the actual combat time I can just estimate the following:

MB = 7.9 seconds
    VT = 96.83% uptime
    DP = 95.24% uptime
    MF = every 1.7 seconds

The major problem here is just your MF frequency, as well as some MB frequency... your dots are a lot closer to 100% and you probably only missed out on 1 tick each at most. You might want to look into checking if you are clipping the last tick of MF which is highly possible. You need to concentrate ensuring MB is kept on CD to reduce that number to about 7.5 seconds.

I bet that this parse (rng abiding) was a lot better than the first by a couple hundred DPS... you probably only missed out maybe 100 DPS from your theoretical best on this occasion.

From a brief look at your gear, I'd say the choice of staff over onehand + offhand = bad.
    Other than that, Worshaka covered it. You are basically clipping your dots.
    However, dummy dps and raid dps are quite different. Do you have any recount or wws info on your raid performance? Are you multidotting where you're able to?

Deleted

Combat time in seconds = damage/dps. All the necessary information is in the screenshots.

MF casting is what I'm most worried about here. MF might be the filler, but it still does the biggest part of total damage, so you can't afford to mess it up.
    1.7s average between MF ticks just unacceptable. With 700 haste I can get 1.3s average between MF ticks, and that's huge relative difference and factor in total damage.

Average MB cast interval is nowhere near as critical, because MB is cast less often and only accounts for a small amout of total damage. The difference between 7.5s and 8s average MB times is relatively not that big.

It's all about finding the balance. With 700 haste I usually get 1.3s MF and 8s MB. I prioritise VT-DP-MB-MF and I'm not overly worried about MB, I cast it if it's ready.
    Looking at my dummy parse, the average MF tick is 2692 and MB is about 5075, crits included.

So my MF dps is 2692/1.3s = 2071dps
    and MB is 5075/8s = 634dps
    so the combined MB+MF dps is 2705dps. (The rest comes from dots naturally, but I'm only compairing MF and MB portions of total dps here)

Let's say I change my priorities and get 1.4s MF and 7.5s MB.

This time MF dps is 2692/1.4s = 1923dps
    and MB 5075/7.5s = 677dps
    with a total MB+MF dps of 2600dps.

So, I actually did worse the second time, because I sacrificed too much MF for keeping MB off cooldown. The point of this was just to show how much more critical average MF time is to your total dps, you have to get it right. You need to adjust you rotation with the increasing amounts of haste. For example, ppl still do MB-MF3-MF3-MB in their rotations with 600-700 haste, but it just doesn't fit anymore. It worked with 400 haste, but with more haste you'll just end up waiting for the MB cooldown to finish and lose time and dps. With >600haste you are better off casting MB-MF3-MF3-MF2-MB, srews up your average MB times, but you'll do more dps. Real pros will probably foresee the situation and cast MB-MF3-MF2-MF2-MB for maximum dps, I won't, because I know I'll mess it up in a raid anyway.

Next I equip my Abyssal rune to get 784 haste. The rotation feels totally different and better I might add. For some reason I get much less conflicts between MB and dots. Now my MF is 1.27s and MB 7.6s, with the same priorities. But keep in mind that going from 8s MB to 7.6s isn't a big gain in total dps, actually the 1.3s->1.27s MF was a bigger gain. Haste will affect rotation alot, if you adapt with it.

This time MF dps is 2692/1.27s = 2120dps
    and MB is 5075/7.6s = 668dps
    with a total MB+MF dps of 2788dps

Average MF of 1.7s shows that there is something terribly wrong. You might be cutting MF unintentionally. You can't spam next spell while channeling or you will interrupt it. Are you using Quartz to see latency on your cast bar? Are you using nochanneling macros or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Berner
    Combat time in seconds = damage/dps. All the necessary information is in the screenshots.

MF casting is what I'm most worried about here. MF might be the filler, but it still does the biggest part of total damage, so you can't afford to mess it up.
    1.7s average between MF ticks just unacceptable. With 700 haste I can get 1.3s average between MF ticks, and that's huge relative difference and factor in total damage.

Average MB cast interval is nowhere near as critical, because MB is cast less often and only accounts for a small amout of total damage. The difference between 7.5s and 8s average MB times is relatively not that big.

It's all about finding the balance. With 700 haste I usually get 1.3s MF and 8s MB. I prioritise VT-DP-MB-MF and I'm not overly worried about MB, I cast it if it's ready.
    Looking at my dummy parse, the average MF tick is 2692 and MB is about 5075, crits included.

So my MF dps is 2692/1.3s = 2071dps
    and MB is 5075/8s = 634dps
    so the combined MB+MF dps is 2705dps. (The rest comes from dots naturally, but I'm only compairing MF and MB portions of total dps here)

Let's say I change my priorities and get 1.4s MF and 7.5s MB.

This time MF dps is 2692/1.4s = 1923dps
    and MB 5075/7.5s = 677dps
    with a total MB+MF dps of 2600dps.

So, I actually did worse the second time, because I sacrificed too much MF for keeping MB off cooldown. The point of this was just to show how much more critical average MF time is to your total dps, you have to get it right. You need to adjust you rotation with the increasing amounts of haste. For example, ppl still do MB-MF3-MF3-MB in their rotations with 600-700 haste, but it just doesn't fit anymore. It worked with 400 haste, but with more haste you'll just end up waiting for the MB cooldown to finish and lose time and dps. With >600haste you are better off casting MB-MF3-MF3-MF2-MB, srews up your average MB times, but you'll do more dps. Real pros will probably foresee the situation and cast MB-MF3-MF2-MF2-MB for maximum dps, I won't, because I know I'll mess it up in a raid anyway.

Next I equip my Abyssal rune to get 784 haste. The rotation feels totally different and better I might add. For some reason I get much less conflicts between MB and dots. Now my MF is 1.27s and MB 7.6s, with the same priorities. But keep in mind that going from 8s MB to 7.6s isn't a big gain in total dps, actually the 1.3s->1.27s MF was a bigger gain. Haste will affect rotation alot, if you adapt with it.

This time MF dps is 2692/1.27s = 2120dps
    and MB is 5075/7.6s = 668dps
    with a total MB+MF dps of 2788dps

Average MF of 1.7s shows that there is something terribly wrong. You might be cutting MF unintentionally. You can't spam next spell while channeling or you will interrupt it. Are you using Quartz to see latency on your cast bar? Are you using nochanneling macros or not?
    While there is a point where haste makes MF > MB, prioritising MF over MB is a straight DPS loss and while you might consider it to be insignificant it's a way to truly maximise spriest DPS. From memory MF needs to be about a 1.7sec cast before it outstrips MB in terms of DPS, so that isn't going to occur unless you're under the effects of BL or posses 4pc T10 with something around 1K haste rating (perhaps higher).

So while I take your point I think it's not a good message to suggest your MB casts aren't that important, they are extremely important and any delay in potential MB casts is a direct DPS loss.

Try using MFClip mod and reading the numbers after you dummy tests. It will show you estimates of where you lost dps based on cast times, uptimes and clips. It's also a nice dot timer mod.