Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Avatar in 3D... Whats your rating?

So, seeing Avatar has been out for some time now in most countries, and I guess most who have seen it saw it in 3D, I was wondering what the communities opinion of the film is...

The storyline wasn't exactly original (hello Dances with Wolves), but I felt that didn't make it any less good. Simply fantastic graphics... Although I did get the feeling, and I might be wrong here, that not all of the film was actually in 3D... (and yes I did keep my glasses on ;D)

Anyway, IMDb's current rating is 8.6, which I find pretty much dead on to my feeling. I'd even round it up and give it a 9/10.

Go go opinions :O

Re: Avatar in 3D... Whats your rating?

10/10 great movie, and i have to say it didnt obviously feel like it was in 3d, because unlike most movies it was all in 3d, and not a movie where one time in the move they throw rocks at ur face and ur like' OH! 3d! i watched it 3 times in 3d and ounce in 2d and there was a significant difference
    hahaha. no.

Graphics - 10/10. Amazing, breathtaking are words that would be suited to describe them.
    Story - 1/10. Yay. Dances with Wolves... IN SPACE! Why can't there be a decent movie where humanity doesn't suck?

Overall - 5/10

Quote Originally Posted by Jaqen Hghar
    Graphics - 10/10. Amazing, breathtaking are words that would be suited to describe them.
    Story - 1/10. Yay. Dances with Wolves... IN SPACE! Why can't there be a decent movie where humanity doesn't suck?

Overall - 5/10
    No story is original anymore, almost every movie you'll watch or book you read will have a recycled story in one way or another. The fact that it is simply a story being retold in a new setting does not make it any less good.

I don't use numerical ratings for movies, they all have strengths and weaknesses, I'll simply say I liked it and thought it was a good movie.

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account

Never heard of dance with wolves just know about it because of the archiev in ICC

So I rate it 10/10

Graphics where amazing ofc; very beautiful planet
    and was actually fun to see my own human race being slaughtered by aliens

First I watched it normally (not in 3d) and I loved it...But when I watched it in 3d is an entirely different experience. The story was still very enjoyable even if it was a familiar setting (Although I love people that go "AMG IT WAS DANCES WITH WOLVES IT SUCKED LOLOLOL" and they havent even SEEN Dances with Wolves - Im not pointing at anyone in this thread btw)

Avatar was a 10/10 for me, definitely a very epic experience.

15+ Year Old Account

I absolutely loved the movie. It was definitely fairly predictable in story, and I'm not usually someone who goes out of my way trying to think of what will happen next in the movie. But the world they were able to create was incredible -- very unique, beautiful, etc.

Also, this is the first movie that I enjoyed seeing in 3D. I'm not sure if it added that much to the movie (although I haven't seen it in non-3D and I didn't have the best of seats where I was), but at least it didn't detract from it. They successfully resisted the temptation for cheesy "just caught the sword before it hit the audience" or "someone spills a cup splashing towards the audience" Disney-esque gags.

Story - 1/10. Yay. Dances with Wolves... IN SPACE! Overall - 5/10
    After seeing District 9 last year it was proved there is room for original stories in sci-fi. For a film that took years and years to make the story of avatar was terrible.
    At least the matrix combined cutting edge graphics with a good story

Avatar is definitely an awesome and good movie, but despite its breathtaking special effects I won't go out and scream "BEST MOVIE EVER!!!" like many of its fans. I hate people who only judge movies based on special effects and views. If you wanna rate a movie you have to go deeper than that. You can't ignore the story, dialogue, music, acting, etc. I feel Cameron spent a little too much time on visuals. Many minutes were spent to only show show beautiful the lands of Pandora are. Those minutes could possibly be used for something better.

The story has been done before many times before. The Last Samurai, Dances with Wolves. Avatar is basically a Sci-Fi version of Pocahontas. It's not a joke. It's pretty much 90% similar. This makes the movie very predictable. The colonel was cool but felt like too obvious stereotype. Zoe Saldana who "played" Neytiri did a good job with the acting. I was quite touched when she cried when the mother tree was destroyed.

The dialogue was not bad, but at times it felt...weird. The chemistry between Sully and Neytiri felt a bit rushed and not enough effort was put into it. Training, smiling and laughing together does not seem enough for a human to fall in love with an alien. It was bad and rushed when Sully and Neytiri said they had chosen each other as mates. Doesn't Neytiri and her father know that Sully is just an avatar? I thought that was told earlier. Still they accept him so easily, teach him everything they know and accept him as one of their one.

Sully's change of heart was not explained enough to me. He met the Na'vi, got to know them and their culture, explore the forests. That's enough? To choose to betray humanity, something more would have been needed to make me understand better why he would go against them. Something that could add some dramatical shock and impact. For example, he could witness the killing of several Na'vi tribe members, animals and more deforestation done by the humans. I'm talking about it could happen BEFORE the humans destroyed the mother tree.

I have to say I'm a fan of military vehicles, weapons and mechas, and I was a bit annoyed to see that in year 2154, the human military still use pretty much the same kind of weapons and vehicles we have today, except they look different. What's the point of having a windshield for protection against the enemy if even arrows can penetrate it? The knife battle between Sully and colonel was cool but also ridicules. The mecha suit was strong enough to easily punch through metal walls (which I guess is far stronger than the metals we have available today on earth) but Sully could still parry the mecha's blade easily. Why was such a huge bomber needed to bomb the most sacred place for the Na'vi when the big Gunship could have easily carried and dropped it. And why use the bomber at all? The gunship alone packed enough firepower to demolish the place.

The humans may have lost the fight, but not the war. They will be back for payback in the sequels. The military on Pandora was a minor security force. Let's see how the Na'vi tribes and animals can stand up to the full might of the human army and navy! Yes, I did root for the humans ;D All your Pandora and unobtanium are belong to us!

I guess I could go on but I will finish and say that I give the movie a total of 8 out of 10.

It was 1 of the best films of all time, i loved it, 9.5/10, oh heck, 10/10 .

9/10. The visuals were really amazing. The Story with a complete knockoff of Dances with Wolves but not a completely bad thing.

I'd give it like an 8.5. The story is like a 6, but the visuals are a 10, then there's just the fact that I liked it. In a way it lived up to the hype, but the story was very familiar and even kinda cheesy at times. The archetype enemies were pretty disappointing too honestly. The weasel bottom line corporate guy, the gruff military guy. Meh.

Good movie though.

Simply blew me away.
    10/10

Deleted

10, I've come to expect this from Cameron movies.

I went to see Avatar3D with low hopes to be honest. I didn't expect much and thought the hype that everyone was creating about it was overzealous, but oh how I was wrong :P Amazing film alongside the awesome graphics just made the film something else :P Even though the story is predictable, there is something else about it :P 9/10 Would defiantly recommend to others :P

Crazy
    Lemon Juice

I'd be more inclined to say its Ferngully in 3D without Batty Rap.

When I watched it in 2D I thought it was the most over-hyped movie since Twilight. I was disappointed after walking out of the cinema. Although I did end up watching it in 3D and it redeemed itself a lot. It has to be watched in 3D to be appreciated imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.

People can criticize the story all day long.
    The film is simply stunning, not just the visuals.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

I went to see it on the basis of the hype surrounding it
    also i like sci-fi yes it was good but not as good as the hype
    my reasons for this the Na'vi were based upon native african tribes
    & this stood out like a sore thumb just in my own mind & my own personal opinion
    having watched aliens upon returning to see the film
    i noticed how much of aliens was in it from the mech exo skeleton
    to the drop ships & also how he took the basic principle from aliens
    those two things i mentioned & role reversal on them
    it was good but something was missing
    the 3d is not all its cracked up to be as when viewing ppl it forces your vision to focus
    on the main one in the sceane. To me the best bits of the 3d was the floating burning embers
    stuff like that 8/10

Deleted

Overall - 5/10
    Don't forget the Warcraft and Starcraft universe ripping, would take -1 from that.

although it was 11,50euro instead of 8,50 (cause of 3d and overlength), it was great.
    I found many elements of Command and Conquer (Orca style helis, Mech-suits), many WoW Elements Souls, Mounts ^^

the story was better then i expected, the gfx are state of the art for the moment (as every new 3d / animated movie)

i give it a 8/10