Thread: [Music] Metal

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluewhale View Post
    In the nightside eclipse is one of the best metal albums ever. That song is all the more powerful live, check this out:

Edit: I didn't think it was possible to top The Black Satans. I was wrong. Well played Duilliath.
    I love the speed and power of which they are playing! HOWEVER, I wish I could hear the lyrics. Any band that can play like that and have powerful vocals without the growl/scream being the constant would be great! Anyone recommend something along those lines?

---------- Post added 2012-02-27 at 07:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Khelendros View Post
    I'm in a covers mood right now. Here are a couple metal covers, and one awesome reverse cover.

Lastly this is sort of a reverse metal cover. One of the most iconic metal songs of all time, done amazingly on Piano. I've been following this chick on youtube for years. She is utterly brilliant.
    Holy crap, that blew my mind! I checked out a few of her videos and I must say ROCK ON!
    "There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you." -Mazer Rackham - Ender's Game Orson Scott Card

Since we're on the topic of Doom:

Incredible album.

//edit: bad link
    Last edited by Badpaladin; 2012-02-28 at 06:17 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rendia View Post
    I love the speed and power of which they are playing! HOWEVER, I wish I could hear the lyrics. Any band that can play like that and have powerful vocals without the growl/scream being the constant would be great! Anyone recommend something along those lines?
    Emperor is one of those black metal bands that use vocals you CAN actually understand as long as you have read the lyrics at least one while listening their songs. After that you usually understand at least 80% of what is being sung, not bad for a bm band.

Here is an Emperor song with ~50% clean vocals:

I hope you can see this video because it's blocked for me, stupid GEMA (gonna have to turn on my VPN again )

Here are the lyrics:

Deep Green Dark Chaos
    Blinded I run down these paths
    By heart I know them
    They lead to the searing cliffs
    Stout they stand above the waters edge
    Lifeless

And this is my foundation
    Cold stone
    Formed only by winds and time
    How invulnerable
    Lifeless

Ahh...
    I have longed to be at one with this
    Yet, the waters call my name

For once I wish to see
    The entity behind the voice
    The face of this seduction
    The beauty of my pain

Am I blessed or am I cursed by the presence...
    What is my crime...
    What is my deed...
    Is this life my redemption
    Shall I repent or proceed

I hate my flesh
    It's dimension poisoned my soul with doubt
    It made me question the essence of...
    The -I-

Slaves are those of this world
    Given freedom to lay chains upon The Master
    The wolf is no longer free
    Release the chains and come for me

The Elder:
    -Suddenly, his mournful cries were stunned. Out of the cold mist
    came three entbralling ships. Sails torn by many storm, and the
    bows adorned by the most fierce gargoyles he'd ever laid eyes upon.
    Yet, the crew they bore... Three times twelve in numbers. They stood
    motionless, wrapped in grey, worn gowns. And from behind their
    shadowed faces the seductive chanting. Bidding him on board.
    Without hesitation, he accepted. And away they sailed... -

Upon these seas
    Wherein I drowned so many times
    I scatter the ashes of dignity
    Still my flames are in hunger

With fire in my heart
    Shall I greet the shores ahead
    Though, I know not what will burn

Desire...

Ahh...
    In the distance
    I hear the waves wash over solid ground
    And in this momnet I am struck blind

Grant me sight so I can see
    That which lies ahead of me
    Cursed be my mortal eyes
    For dying in the realm of death

Hear my call...

I return to the soaring cliffs
    They trylu shine of strenght
    even though, I nothing learned
    With strenght I burn...

It took me a little bit to get into them, but Be'lakor is really starting to grow on me

And yet another Agonist song, just to point out how delightfully insane Alissa sounds from :28 to :36

10+ Year Old Account
    One of my fave Emperor songs:

Can imagine them quitting after that album, really.

Additionally, I really love Trym's drumstyle. It looks so relaxed and in control, rather than the inane bashing about often seen in more popular metal.

Yeah, I listened to almost all of the songs suggest to me, still didn't get ''that feeling'' for black metal :/

The Doom metal bands, like nbm02ss; Kreizor; Uldreth linked, I did enjoy to some extent.

I think like Nektar said (or Duilliath, can't remenber now who was) , it's the ''rawness'' of black metal that puts me away from it...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post
    Yeah, I listened to almost all of the songs suggest to me, still didn't get ''that feeling'' for black metal :/

The Doom metal bands, like nbm02ss; Kreizor; Uldreth linked, I did enjoy to some extent.

I think like Nektar said (or Duilliath, can't remenber now who was) , it's the ''rawness'' of black metal that puts me away from it...
    It's not for everyone. At least you gave it a shot, unlike several people I know who use stereotypes as an excuse not to listen to it.

Some Doom Metal:

10+ Year Old Account
    Fair enough. If those songs didn't convince you, at least you gave it a good try.

Would half have expected Primordial at least to hit home, as that song in particular is quite doomy as well.

Have a listen to Esoteric for some slow doom.

I'm actually going to look for some more songs by myself, see if I can find something that pleases me.

Won't give up just because some songs didn't... ''click'' it for me. Anyway thank you very much again, all of you guys, always very helpful

Deleted

Uh... this is the song that made me start listening to BM.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be

Hm, try Abrahadabra by Dimmu - bout as catchy and understandable as it gets when it's about BM: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw_T9pJ728U

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Deleted
    I'm actually going to look for some more songs by myself, see if I can find something that pleases me.

Won't give up just because some songs didn't... ''click'' it for me. Anyway thank you very much again, all of you guys, always very helpful

Not sure if you know them/they were recommended before but you could also give Dimmu Borgir's early materials a try.

On the first two albums (For All Tid, Stormblast and also the demo/ep whatever, Inn i evighetens mørke) they played a sort of black metal with a relatively mellow sound, very large keyboard usage and overall creating a rather 'sweet' dark romanticist atmosphere without giving up the darkness in the music.

Production is still raw but that results in a somewhat blurred guitar sound rather than being 'offensive' static.

Dimmu Borgir - Alt Lyr Er Svunnet Hen

Dimmu Borgir - Broderskapets Ring

Dimmu Borgir - Stormblast

Dimmu Borgir - Glittertind

Dimmu Borgir - Inn i evighetens mørke

After Stormblast they started writing in english and started developing a more accessible (which is a bit paradox since their later music is much more agressive than their early stuff, which is just cute and sweet as far as black metal goes), bombastic symphonic sound which lead them to their current status as a sort of extreme symphonic metal band rather than black metal.

But the start of their symphonic era was also quite 'black':

Dimmu Borgir - Mourning Palace

Dimmu Borgir - Entrance

Dimmu Borgir - In Death's Embrace

Dimmu Borgir - A Succubus In Rapture

Dimmu Borgir - Reptile

Dimmu Borgir - Promised Future Aeons

Dimmu Borgir - Arcane Lifeforce Mysteria

And I'd add here, although not black metal, and was in fact, stolen from a video game soundtrack by their keyboardist, this piano track is a fucking beast and has an insane atmosphere that fits very well with Stormblast:

If these don't get you into black metal then I do think the genre is not for you. At least not yet. Some people call this the most extreme subgenre of metal which I do not agree with as it was quite easy for me to get into it but it might be different for others.
    Last edited by mmocbbd281298f; 2012-02-28 at 08:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uldreth - that really is post overload. So many videos in one post can kill the page. Could you tone it down a wee bit?

Deleted
    Sure I'll just place links instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uldreth View Post
    Sure I'll just place links instead.
    That could work, or just tone it down a bit to like one per album.

---------- Post added 2012-02-28 at 11:54 PM ----------

The finest of Prog (Death) Metal

They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

Deleted
    Janvs, Italian BM

Nagelfar (not to be confused with the rather boring Swedish melodic black metal band "Naglfar")

Quote Originally Posted by ThrashMetalFtw View Post
    The finest of Prog (Death) Metal
    Dulliath has already been boggled by my stance on this, but I actually prefer Traced In Air to Focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    Dulliath has already been boggled by my stance on this, but I actually prefer Traced In Air to Focus.
    für jeden das Passende.