Thread: [Music] Metal

Lamb of God
    Can't believe I haven't seen anyone else say them. They are truly one of the greatest metal bands out there right now, and I'd strongly recommend any metalhead checking them out if you don't know them!

Parkway drive
    In flames
    KSE
    r my favourites

1. Symphony X
    2. Metallica
    3. Megadeth

Metal is a pretty hard genre to get used to and I think it's pretty hit or miss for a lot of people which is why there is so much division of opinions. I listen mainly to Iron Maiden, Dream Theater, Queensryche, Saxon, Dragonland and Edenbridge with a few other bands sprinkled in.

I don't identify with the images that a lot of metal bands portray and I think a lot of them are pretty stupid (we're so hardcore satan rulezlolol), I just like the music.

I don't identify with the images that a lot of metal bands portray and I think a lot of them are pretty stupid (we're so hardcore satan rulezlolol), I just like the music.
    I agree. The dark image with skulls and black is cool, but the satanic stuff I cannot stomach.

There is to much death metal in this thread:

^ Yea Virgin Steele is another awesome classic metal band.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why do people "pronounce" Thrash metal as Trash Metal.

It's fucking THRASH! And it's the best form of metal. (In my opinion)

Oh yeah I can agree, cannot wait for all this "metalcore/or any other core band" scene to end, it's the most stagnant "type of metal" if you really call it metal, despite lacking solos, and other similar song structures, (fucking 10 breakdowns per song? really? Are core bands really that un-original?) It also lacks alot of technical/melodic points/ and the damn screaming, then "clean" lyrics piss me off.

Core bands have polluted the genre, and today's "so called version of metal" I seriously hope for another Thrash movement to come about in the next 10-15 years.
    Last edited by Rend; 2011-04-30 at 01:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rend View Post

Oh yeah I can agree, cannot wait for all this "metalcore/or any other core band" scene to end, it's the most stagnant "type of metal" if you really call it metal, despite lacking solos, and other similar song structures, (fucking 10 breakdowns per song? really? Are core bands really that un-original?) It also lacks alot of technical/melodic points/ and the damn screaming, then "clean" lyrics piss me off.

Core bands have polluted the genre, and today's "so called version of metal" I seriously hope for another Thrash movement to come about in the next 10-15 years.
    Grindcore is unoriginal? Have you HEARD of Napalm Death, good sir?

Trash heads really make me sad. Really do. I like thrash, I really do. But... really guys? Really? Open your mind :|
    Last edited by jeleopard; 2011-04-30 at 02:45 AM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jeleopard View Post
    Grindcore is unoriginal? Have you HEARD of Napalm Death, good sir?

Trash heads really make me sad. Really do. I like thrash, I really do. But... really guys? Really? Open your mind :|
    I'll open my mind when I stop seeing core fans trolling Metallica and Testament vidoes, and when I see a large portion (note to self, I said a portion, not all, so don't accuse me of generalising) of them not acting like little dicks, posing, and not even touch any other form of Metal music, because apparently screaming is the heaviest, most bad ass shit around, with 10 breakdowns per song.
    Last edited by Rend; 2011-04-30 at 06:20 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What do you listen to? The fans or the music?

As a friend of mine once said: Metal is about extremes. Unfortunately, that includes the extremely dumb.

Deleted
    1. RUSH (of course^^)
    2. Therion (Epic)
    3. Blind Guardian (as a German you have to love em)
    4. Dream Theater
    5. Motörhead

I'll open my mind when I stop seeing core fans trolling Metallica and Testament vidoes, and when I see a large portion (note to self, I said a portion, not all, so don't accuse me of generalising) of them not acting like little dicks, posing, and not even touch any other form of Metal music, because apparently screaming is the heaviest, most bad ass shit around, with 10 breakdowns per song.

May I suggest learning what a breakdown is? And a breakdown isn't only in "core bands", as you put it. Breakdowns are used in a LOT of genres, not even just metal.

And I challenge you to find one song that has 10 breakdowns, or even more than 2. 2 would be pushing it. Songs tend to have 1.

And not all "core bands" use breakdowns. I have yet to hear breakdowns in grindcore.

Gamma Ray, Blind Guardian, Stratovarius, Ensiferum, Wintersun, Amon Amarth, Edguy.. etc etc stuff.

Gamma Ray prolly the most underrated band in the world, while being one of the best bands ever making music, playing live and giving great show to people.
    asd

10+ Year Old Account
    Metallica
    Alestorm
    Iron Maiden
    Adema
    Lordi
    Sabaton
    Slipknot
    System of A Down
    Rammstein

I dunno if Linkin Park can be directly classified as metal, some of their songs can, some of them don't. Great band anyhow.

And yes, the misconception that everyone that listens to metal are just headbangin', IQ-fishstick-, loud and noisy, screaming morons is so idiotic it's almost on the verge of racism.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaellen View Post
    I agree. The dark image with skulls and black is cool, but the satanic stuff I cannot stomach.

There is to much death metal in this thread:
    Are you implying that satanic stuff = death metal?
    In that case you couldn't be more wrong.

Also the satanic bit is *mostly* in Black Metal, which is probably the least vocal bit of the metal community, they tend to keep to themselves, brooding. Heck, not even all Black Metal is about Satan.

---------- Post added 2011-04-30 at 03:16 PM ----------

Hate to tell you something matey, there IS a new wave of thrash going on, pretty much spearheaded by Machine Head and Evile. Oh and then of course the Big Four is pretty much busy running all over the world shaking the roots of thrash.

---------- Post added 2011-04-30 at 03:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tzalix View Post
    Metallica
    Alestorm
    Iron Maiden
    Adema
    Lordi
    Sabaton
    Slipknot
    System of A Down
    Rammstein

I dunno if Linkin Park can be directly classified as metal, some of their songs can, some of them don't. Great band anyhow.

And yes, the misconception that everyone that listens to metal are just headbangin', IQ-fishstick-, loud and noisy, screaming morons is so idiotic it's almost on the verge of racism.
    /brofist of metulz

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I prefer rock/hard rock to metal but I am a big fan of Iron Maiden, Saxon, Ozzy Osbourne, Judas Priest and Metallica.

-core metal bands are poluted with popular social stigma. The popular bands that all the scene kids like are the ones that only enjoy breakdowns and unoriginal song structures. Give Unearth a good listen, as they're pretty much the pioneers of the genre. Consequently, they're also a band that pretty much no "metalcore fan" listens to, let alone even knows about.

40 pages and no one mentions THIS band? Wtf is the matter with you all? One of the most innovative metal bands ever.

youtube.com/watch?v=GkZDo5UZpfQ