Killswitch Engage
    Slipknot
    Here comes the Kraken
    Carnifex
    The Black Dahlia Murder
    Knight Of The Abyss
    I Declare War
    Sky eats airplane

I listen to all type of music but these are my favorite bands.
    R.I.P #2 Paul Gray.

Re: Metal

Quote Originally Posted by Keoren
    Yes it's definitely Phormula where I also saw the connection. Listened through the album twice now and it's indeed a fun one. Can't judge it properly yet as I'm yet to get deep into it, but unlike many reviews I read it seems like a nice one.
    Also tried out Ihsahn's newest awhile back. Has been a grower on me and worthy of checking out if you don't mind bit more progressive or at points even avantarge black metal. There are also parts which I wouldn't even classify as metal. Looking forward to seeing him at this year's Tuska Open Air. Overall this year's line-up is much stronger to me than last year's.

Ihsahn - Undercurrent

Some of you might also enjoy Diabolical Masquerade.

Diabolical Masquerade - 19th Movement (The River in Space & A Soulflight Back to Life)

10+ Year Old Account

Also tried out Ihsahn's newest awhile back. [...]

Some of you might also enjoy Diabolical Masquerade.
    I checked some of Ihsahn's earlier solo work as it appeared. Haven't heard this piece yet, but with the previous versions he didn't really speak to me. Parts of it were very good, but at times it still felt clinical and more constructed than heartfelt. None of the pieces really captured my attention throughout the entire CD.

As to Diabolical Masquerade, it's a rather amusing band, though I am inclined to believe that a single CD by them would suffice. Death's Design was, imo, their best piece. The problem is that a lot of the stuff they do is 'sameish'. Some of the melody lines on Death's Design are pretty much direct quotes from earlier releases. Not a major problem, but it does make the albums fuse together some.

Get some Slayer down you 'Diablus in Musica' is just awesome

At The Gates - 'Slaughter of the Soul' <3

The Haunted - '...made me do it'

Pig Destroyer - 'Prowler in the Yard' --- totally changed the way I listened to metal.

'Soundtrack to the Personal Revolution' by Burnt by the Sun is mind-blowing.

Keelhaul have some some nice stuff. Pantera, yea... RIP Dimebag. Saw em live and went fuckin nuts

Botch. Shame they didn't last long than they did.

If modern metal counts I will say Sonic syndicate ^^

Else metallica!
    Backstab!<=Q(^_^)===Q>==>(X_x)Q
    Pro at stunnlocking clothies to death since 2005.

http://www.youtube.com/user/badde09

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath
    I checked some of Ihsahn's earlier solo work as it appeared. Haven't heard this piece yet, but with the previous versions he didn't really speak to me. Parts of it were very good, but at times it still felt clinical and more constructed than heartfelt. None of the pieces really captured my attention throughout the entire CD.
    Especially the first album has been criticized alot for that. Personally I don't really have a problem with it as it's not yet a'la Dream Theater, but I would still say the latest album might be more down to earth and accessible even with some weaker songs. One of those artists whose albums I usually prefer to put together and listen on shuffle.

As to Diabolical Masquerade, it's a rather amusing band, though I am inclined to believe that a single CD by them would suffice. Death's Design was, imo, their best piece. The problem is that a lot of the stuff they do is 'sameish'. Some of the melody lines on Death's Design are pretty much direct quotes from earlier releases. Not a major problem, but it does make the albums fuse together some.
    Death's Design was easily the best, yes. While there are similarities I actually see quite a difference with say Nightwork and that album. Earlier albums to me are somewhat more traditional and not only because of the fooling around with the song lengths. Kind of like with Edge of Sanity who loan previous melody lines to keep the red line while still managing to change the feel of the songs. It's a thing that bothers others, but I don't mind as long as it's not taken too far or too excessively.

PS. Some people here are mainly listing metalcore which I personally do see as being an extended metal genre. Would still suggest you to along with this topic check the Screamo / Hardcore / Post-Hardcore / Metalcore thread for more like-minded people.

My favourites for about a year now:

Varg
    Korpiklaani
    Minas Morgul
    (Amon Amarth)
    and some additional german stuff..

10+ Year Old Account

Especially the first album has been criticized alot for that. Personally I don't really have a problem with it as it's not yet a'la Dream Theater, but I would still say the latest album might be more down to earth and accessible even with some weaker songs. One of those artists whose albums I usually prefer to put together and listen on shuffle.

Death's Design was easily the best, yes. While there are similarities I actually see quite a difference with say Nightwork and that album. Earlier albums to me are somewhat more traditional and not only because of the fooling around with the song lengths. Kind of like with Edge of Sanity who loan previous melody lines to keep the red line while still managing to change the feel of the songs. It's a thing that bothers others, but I don't mind as long as it's not taken too far or too excessively.
    Oh, there's definitely a difference between the two. But having him repeat melodies on the album itself (which makes sense in the context) and from previous releases does hamper things a wee bit. Obviously, as I plunked it in the car's stereo today after being reminded of it again, it doesn't bother me that much.

How'd you say the new Ihsahn relates to angL?

--

Sidenote, ran into the new videoclip for Fintroll. It's rather entertaining and a bit different from normal metal clips, even if it suffers from the same flaw that plagues a lot of animation: it's cheaper to recycle than to animate something new for the entire length of the video. Personally, I think it's probably the best song on the album too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEzuxkkGyWQ

How'd you say the new Ihsahn relates to angL?
    Neither got too much play time invidually before I combined them on my playlist (got them pretty much the same time), but the newest is definitely quirkier with the help of the saxophones. Sound on After tends to also be more full. I think a good example of what I'm after with saying this would be the intro from Undercurrent. Overall they're still not very far apart.

Since you are familiar with both Ihsahn and Diabolical Masquerade, I take it you also know about Arcturus?

Sidenote, ran into the new videoclip for Fintroll. It's rather entertaining and a bit different from normal metal clips, even if it suffers from the same flaw that plagues a lot of animation: it's cheaper to recycle than to animate something new for the entire length of the video. Personally, I think it's probably the best song on the album too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEzuxkkGyWQ
    Haven't yet heard their newest album yet. They're a band I listen surprisingly little. When it comes to folk I tend to lean more towards say Moonsorrow, but ones like Eluveitie also work. Still, I must say that Finntroll is fantastic for parties, one of the best even and this song for sure has the groove. Music video is surprisingly fitting as this is exactly one of the environments where I think they would shine.

While writing this I had the song you linked playing on the background. Very uplifting, convinced me to get the album at some point. Might also look into their music overall bit deeper.

As for my own sidenote, for those who enjoy melodic death metal I would suggest Kalmah. Especially the earlier albums I would consider rather a mix of the more traditional sound and the mostly Finnish "extreme power metal" or "classically influenced high-velocity melodic death metal" (the genres..) style of say Skyfire, Norther and early Children of Bodom. While the latter might not always be my genre of choice with only few names that I could say I really enjoy, the mix Kalmah created was to me extremely nice. Could say it reminds me of Wintersun in some ways. Later on they moved musically and vocally more towards the traditional melodic death metal.

Kalmah - Heroes to Us
    Kalmah - For the Revolution
    Kalmah - Godeye

Didn't include any songs from The Black Waltz, but if you enjoy these then it's definitely also something to try out. Basically worked as the stepping stone album between the styles with them mostly trying the deeper vocals.

10+ Year Old Account

I'll give Ihsahn a listen then. At the very least, he deserves that much.

Naturally I know Arcturus. Saw them live with Simen on vocals a couple years ago. I'll still favour La Masquerade Infernale, but it's amazing to realise that this band basically kickstarted the entire melodic black metal scene (with keyboards etc) and hardly got the credit for doing so. They predate Dimmu Borgir, yet the latter made it to the riches.

I'm not a huge fan of folk. Well, folk metal that is. Same as with metalcore, I tend to think that both bits individually have been done better than when they get blended like this. There's a few bands I like such as Fintroll (who partially started this whole thing with their Hummpa sound), Kampfar and Trelldom. Old Ulver (Kveldsanger) or Borknagar are entertaining at times as well. For some reason, if I do want to hear folk metal, I'll grab for the originators, Skyclad.

With Fintroll, not every album is equally stunning. They tried to go darker a bit and it muddied their original sound somewhat on Ur Jordens Djup I think it was. Overall though, they got their own sound and it's one that goes very well with attending a festival and having a huge pint stuffed in your mits.

You mentioned Children of Bodom - that's a band I literally can't hear anymore. In my ears, they got worse with every single release. All the rough edges were carefully polished away and at this point it's barely got any relation to their original sound anymore. Every time I hear a later release by them, all I can think of is "we're only in it for the money". I may well be off, but it's definitely not appealing to my taste.

You mentioned Children of Bodom - that's a band I literally can't hear anymore. In my ears, they got worse with every single release. All the rough edges were carefully polished away and at this point it's barely got any relation to their original sound anymore. Every time I hear a later release by them, all I can think of is "we're only in it for the money". I may well be off, but it's definitely not appealing to my taste.
    New CoB is very boring, that's why I mentioned their early material specifically. Not a huge fan of early Children of Bodom either, but I give them the fact they were a big part in creating that kind of neoclassical subgenre and there are some excellent songs on the first couple of albums.

10+ Year Old Account

Still got Something Wild lying about somewhere, buried deep within the boxes from the last time I moved houses. Out of curiousity, I gave Deadnight Warrior a spin again and... man, Old Man's Child anyone? Really, that whole late 90's sound has become so cliched that even listening to the stuff that largely created it has become a chore.

New tangent: are you familiar with either Abigor or Deathspell Omega?

Top favourites of mine are:

- Five Finger Death Punch
    - All That Remains
    - Trivium
    - Chimaira
    - Shadows Fall

I listen to loads more though, such as Metallica, Rise To Remain, Saliva (heavy rock, but still...) and moarz.

New tangent: are you familiar with either Abigor or Deathspell Omega?
    Abigor only by name, Deathspell Omega I have listened to for two albums. FAS - Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem and Si Monumentum Requires Circumspice are the ones that ringed a bell when I just now checked their discography. Don't own their music though so have to play around my memory.

10+ Year Old Account

Those two are pretty much the best albums DSO made so far. Kenose is an EP and, again, is a stunning piece of work. For Abigor, have a listen to their previous full length: Fractal Possession. One of the better black metal releases in a while far as I'm concerned and their most outstanding work for sure. Touches upon some of their older stuff as well, which is impressive as they radically renewed their sound.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account

I just got Woe's debut album from 2008, A Spell for the Death of Man. Absolutely amazing black metal if you're into that sort of thing. Completely relentless with ridiculously awesome triumphant riffs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXgFWeYfzq8

^^ one of the better songs

Man, surprised over a 22 page thread i didn't see any love for some of my favourite bands, although i may have just missed someone mention it. List of music i listen to:
    Skyfire (Really good melodic death metal, didnt see anyone mention them)
    Into Eternity (Can't think of the genre, but they are quite good)
    All that Remains
    As I Lay Dying
    Wintersun
    Ensiferum
    Dark Tranquility
    Parkway Drive(I'm Australian so they are huge here, kinda killed it a bit, so many try hard douche bag teenagers "like" them now)
    Trivium
    Unearth
    As Blood Runs Black(like them and hate them at the same time)
    In Flames(same as as blood runs black :P)

For Abigor, have a listen to their previous full length: Fractal Possession. One of the better black metal releases in a while far as I'm concerned and their most outstanding work for sure. Touches upon some of their older stuff as well, which is impressive as they radically renewed their sound.
    I'll look into it once I have the chance.

I noticed you mentioned listening to Immolation some pages back. I don't listen to much non-melodic death metal apart from a random band now and then, Gorguts and Gojira even though the latter can also be categorized elsewhere. Still I found Majesty and Decay quite good. Is the rest of Immolation's discography similar to that album?