Thread: [Music] Metal

Excoriate is awesome throwback DM if you like them there's a ton of bands doing that same style as them. For my playlist I tried to keep it to albums and bands that only really released stuff between the late 80's and mid 90's and alot of the bands are swedish anyways lol. Ialso never liked Death much I don't know really why.
    Adam: Lookin straight grizzly.
    Blake: Bitch betta have my honey.

Some asshole the other day tried to tell me Black Sabbath is nerd metal. 0.o

I was like wtf is nerd metal and he couldnt give me a good definition. Black Sabbath is like THE definition of metal, people were considered devil worshippers back in the day if you listened to them. Thats just pure metal, I mean listen to the song called Black Sabbath while its pitch black out, raining. You will actually feel the metal entering your body! =P

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Bathory. RIP Quorthon
    Strap on your shields and raise your banners, Hear the call of raging battle
    Beneath a hail of burning arrows
    Push ever forward, never surrender
    Siege weapons tolling out like thunder, Ripping the city walls asunder
    Columns of flame reach ever skyward
    Horizons filled with burning pyres

10+ Year Old Account
    Dropping my 5 copper here :
    Manowar
    Metallica
    Megadeth
    Slayer
    Rammstein
    Iron Maiden
    Black Sabath/Ozzy Osbourne
    those would be the main bands I listen to , i tend to drift away from death metal and more into thrash and heavy metal.

Quote Originally Posted by silentk59 View Post

I was like wtf is nerd metal and he couldnt give me a good definition. Black Sabbath is like THE definition of metal, people were considered devil worshippers back in the day if you listened to them. Thats just pure metal, I mean listen to the song called Black Sabbath while its pitch black out, raining. You will actually feel the metal entering your body! =P
    I love Sabbath, excluding the Ozzy material. Dehumanizer was the first BS album I got, so that's probably why. Found it used when I was really young and thought "hey, this band seems interesting". I love the Tony Martin stuff as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nbm02ss View Post
    I love Sabbath, excluding the Ozzy material. Dehumanizer was the first BS album I got, so that's probably why. Found it used when I was really young and thought "hey, this band seems interesting". I love the Tony Martin stuff as well.
    Did I just see "excluding ozzy " , you mad ? just kidding each one to themselves, in my opinion Ozzy was the sould of black sabath!

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by ShogunAkke View Post
    Trivium - I heard one of their songs 'Falling To Grey' and I was instantly hooked by the thrash metal style. I admit they are not the most well known or liked band in the world.

In Flames - I was listening to a video a long time ago, one of the songs was done by In Flames and I liked them ever since.

Disturbed - Powerful lyrics on their songs plus the tribal drumming style is awesome.

Metallica - It's Metallica enough said.

Avenged Sevenfold - Drumming style and singing, me gusta.
    Trivium? Trash? Not well known? They are metal-core, not thrash, they have a few songs close to being thrash, but still miles away. Also, they are VERY well known, they recently played infront of 80.000 people. Also, the new song "Falling from Grey" from "In Waves", is a very good example of why they've gone back to being awful, standard herp-derp metalcore.

---------- Post added 2011-08-22 at 05:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by silentk59 View Post

Odd, Black Sabbath isn't Nerd Metal, it's much closer to Doom. Nerd Metal would be Megadeth, Opeth and Meshuggah. (Yeah it's a subgenre, similiar to math metal)

---------- Post added 2011-08-22 at 05:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Snakebite View Post
    what do people think about In Waves, Trivium's new one?
    Aside from the titlesong, it's horrible. It's so generic, and it pains me to see that they've gone back to "herp derp metalcore". I mean, when you can pull off a "Shogun", then why not keep doing so? It's like when Metallica went from "... And Justice For All" to the "Black Album". Trivium sacrificed pure genius for a generic, pop, core style... Sigh.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    All these fake ass names for sub genres make me laugh my shit out , nerd metal? math metal ? rofl , megadeth is thrash metal , nad has been since it started not some fake ass nerd metal rofl

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafax View Post
    All these fake ass names for sub genres make me laugh my shit out , nerd metal? math metal ? rofl , megadeth is thrash metal , nad has been since it started not some fake ass nerd metal rofl
    Try without all the swearing atleast. Yes Megadeth is thrash, despite being A LOT closer to actual Speed Metal. Nerd and Math metal are bands whose music is complicated, changes a lot, has a lot of unpredictable elements, and is stupidly hard to play. Take "Hangar 18" for example. So much stuff going on, it's like 5 songs blended into one heavy paste.

As for the "fake ass names".... They are all genuine sub genres, like it or not.

I don't understand the need to put bands into categories, personally. I only go by "I like it" or "I don't like it".

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nbm02ss View Post
    I don't understand the need to put bands into categories, personally. I only go by "I like it" or "I don't like it".
    It's human to categorise. It's human to wanting to know exactly what it is, and what it isn't. Aside from that, no one likes to be mislabeled, and if there isn't a label for what they do, they make their own, thus (though not always) they inspire others, further adding to that label.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its still thrash, no need to strap a sub genre name in it , its thrash that's all there is to it , yes its stupidly hard to play most of their stuff, but so is playing Slayer or some Slipknot, why call it nerd metal when its thrash and that sounds much better !

I don't really understand why would you put bands that are already in a genre of music into a sub catagory?....who cares?
    Adam: Lookin straight grizzly.
    Blake: Bitch betta have my honey.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafax View Post
    Its still thrash, no need to strap a sub genre name in it , its thrash that's all there is to it , yes its stupidly hard to play most of their stuff, but so is playing Slayer or some Slipknot, why call it nerd metal when its thrash and that sounds much better !
    Slipknot? Hard... On the drums yeah sure, rest of the instruments... Not so much, same goes for Slayer, even though I suppose being able to play a thousand notes a second is hard for obvious reasons. The need for sub genres appears because despite Slayer and Megadeth are both thrash, the difference between their music is so gargantuan. The only things they have in common is that they both play fast, and tend to be angry, that's about it.

... And yes, thrash does sound a lot better than nerd/math metal ;P

---------- Post added 2011-08-22 at 05:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by solonglonesome View Post
    I don't really understand why would you put bands that are already in a genre of music into a sub catagory?....who cares?
    A lot of people. The fans, the reviewers, the industry, the producers, the bands....

Because you really can't say Dream Theater is metal, We Butter the Bread with Butter is metal, same thing! DT is prog. metal, Butter is...what were they labeled as? transmetal? something like that. Its the same reason you have differing levels of Rock (pop, alt, soft, hard) and rap and such, there are so many bands and sounds that they have to be differentiated somehow.
    It's not just me, it's ALL rets. Join the ret MS club, get bitches, get money, get nerfed.
    It takes idiots to do cool things. That's why they're cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    I like metal. That is all anyone need know.

I like all of the sub-genres, be it death, math, symphonic, speed or what have you...

Stop throwing hissy fits about what type of metal a band is and enjoy it for the music. (Anyone who argues about a sub-genre of metal just sounds stupid.)

Also, I have recently been listening to a lot of Masterplan. Much is expected of the new album that will be coming with Jorn at the helm
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by t3hj0j0 View Post
    Because you really can't say Dream Theater is metal, We Butter the Bread with Butter is metal, same thing! DT is prog. metal, Butter is...what were they labeled as? transmetal? something like that. Its the same reason you have differing levels of Rock (pop, alt, soft, hard) and rap and such, there are so many bands and sounds that they have to be differentiated somehow.
    Exactly! Exactly and even more exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by solonglonesome View Post
    to seperate from people that listen to linkin park/korn and that stuff which is just no metal

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Idrinkwhiterussians View Post
    I like metal. That is all anyone need know.

I like all of the sub-genres, be it death, math, symphonic, speed or what have you...

Stop throwing hissy fits about what type of metal a band is and enjoy it for the music. (Anyone who argues about a sub-genre of metal just sounds stupid.)

Also, I have recently been listening to a lot of Masterplan. Much is expected of the new album that will be coming with Jorn at the helm
    Trying to establish order and categorizing is hardly a "hissy fit", if anything it's a thing of passion.

---------- Post added 2011-08-22 at 05:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Myrlae View Post
    to seperate from people that listen to linkin park/korn and that stuff which is just no metal
    Nu metal ;P Though the pun is fair heh

Quote Originally Posted by Myrlae View Post
    In other words, "my musical taste is superior to yours". Try not to let what other people listen to bother you.