Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Re: Just an idea for the badge system.

Quote Originally Posted by Mogrutana
    What do you mean by "gear a character?" Sure, you can get him full tier 9 and the offpiece 245 pieces, but that still doesn't bring him in line with main raiders or give him everything he needs. He still needs to do ToC 10/25, or the ICC 5 mans (THEY LEFT OUT ULDUAR AND IM SAD NOW .) Really all the badge system does is allow friends a chance to catch up to their better geared friends so they can raid with them.
    It gives him a lot better start much quicker than it did in BC. I remember leveling a new character to 70, spending ages in BG's and heroics to get enough gear to be able to do Kara, doing that for a month at least before I could even think about a 25m raid. Now you simply run heroics until your eyes bleed and you can instantly get into groups for ToC or ICC. You can skip at least 2 tiers of content. Blizzard essentially made Naxx and Ulduar obsolete and pointless at this point. Even if there are potential upgrades in there for a new player, its simply not worth the hassle (and possibility your piece wont drop) to go into t7-8 raids to get them. You can get by with something from the badge vendor.

Quote Originally Posted by ikabod00
    Yeah, when you are doing it in 25 man gear. But go ahead and only have 10 man gear from the previous content and do it. As thats how they are tuned and when done that way not much easier, if at all.
    apart from 10mans being balanced around no bloodlust, which means the dps requirements are lower by a huge bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Emobringer
    well...with your idea we would get an item in...3 months from marks...no thx better remove it...
    That's the way it was in 3.0. It took me 4 months from 80 to get my full heroic gear on my DPS DK, and then I finally found a guild and did 25 naxx with my full iLevel200 epics. That 2set t7 was the shit, and was IMPOSSIBLE to get. Like 60 heroism for gloves and 85 for chest or something. All other gear besides some of the trinkets and such were all heroic drops. Hello, staggering legplates, oh how I miss trying for 2 months to get you. :3

What they should've done instead of making people go to heroics to get ilv 232 gear they should've just updated ulduar 10 man gear to ilv232 hell even update the naxx drops to ilv232. it be much more fun to catch up to people in ICC that way instead of having to farm heroics on my alts.
    "Remember, There's no such thing as a stupid question until you ask it"

Quote Originally Posted by carlos5577
    What they should've done instead of making people go to heroics to get ilv 232 gear they should've just updated ulduar 10 man gear to ilv232 hell even update the naxx drops to ilv232. it be much more fun to catch up to people in ICC that way instead of having to farm heroics on my alts.
    This.

Old content shouldn't become old in it's own expansion. I would've LOVED to have done Ulduar or even Naxx on my pally, but nope. No one cares about content that doesn't give them gear.

I really don't get why people complain about the badge system. With it you can only get easily geared out a whole tier behind the current tier, which still takes a while to obtain if you buy everything from badges. You need to grind out about 300 badges and a few heroic items to be able to step into ICC, and for most casual players that will still take a while to do. Meanwhile obtaining the frost emblems at about 23 a week hardly catches you up to current raiders already doing ICC gaining easily twice that much in most cases. But even if you look past this why is it such an issue that other players can obtain this gear? I really don't get why so many people care so much about other players in this game and how their gear is almost equivalent to their own while thinking it takes 'less effort' when it reality if you don't raid it easily takes much more time to do so.

The more important thing it does is provide more raiders to an ever increasing number of raiding guilds on all servers. Regardless of if they're bad or not it still provides raiders to guilds who need it. The alternative is what you had in BC, where guilds had to take some of their own raid time to gear up players, who half the time ended up moving to a more progressed guild. So again I really can't see any true complaints that hold water about the badge system.

My idea. Keep it simple yet segregated. Everything drops the same badge, but each ilvl of gear (lvl of content that comes out) has a raid rep associated with it that you have to have to buy the gear. Exalted gets you the tier pieces, reverred and maybe lower gets you the other pieces blizzard decides to include with that level, back, ring, boots w/e. To make some classes happy maybe have honored even friendly be the ranged slot so it's easier to get as it is now.

Sure you could prefarm badges, but most big time raiders don't usually hurt for badges for all that long after new content comes out anyways. None big time raiders will take alot longer to get rep (also yes would have to block rep farming, my idea raid rep you only get on a boss kill, but make it 500 or even 1k a boss if you really want). And it would be easy to further segregate 10 and 25 man if you wanted, each has their own rep for their equivalent ilvl gear. Don't know if that's even needed but could be easily implemented.

If they want to still keep stuff open to all but at a slower pace then throw in a daily for each raid rep type 200 to 500 rep, could be the daily heroic, a daily help rebuild the cities, w/e. People who have been around get to focus on only the new one, a new player may decide to do them all to unlock all ilvls of gear available, but at that slower pace.
    Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.

15+ Year Old Account

I also have a decent idea for a badge system. It's a 1 badge system, and it never changes, just more gear is added with new releases.

Why? People who actually raid top end content and do well don't care about badge gear. Getting badge gear doesn't make you good, just shiny.

Gear is easy to get, good players aren't. The days of raiding gear are over. It's all about the player now. I'll take someone in blues who can not stand in fire over a levinty billion gear score rogue who thinks his gear score actually matters...

best idea ive heard is the ability to trade.

Takes 10 badges to trade up. Thus 10 emblems of heroism = 1 valor, 10 valor = 1 conquest, 10 conquest = 1 triumph, etc...

Lots of people think that would lead to an overabundance of badges, but really, it wouldn't. it would take 1000 heroisms to make 1 trimph, thus it wouldn't/couldn't really get abused.

Im not elitist as many people here are (cazuals getting gearz QQQQQ) but farming heroics for badges is stupid and boring, they should just update the gear of old content to ilv 232 like i said, it be much more fun and it wont feel like such a grind.
    "Remember, There's no such thing as a stupid question until you ask it"

10+ Year Old Account

Wait your whining because someone you will NEVER group with has much lower quality of items than you?

ow noes guys the guy that has been playing since Vanilla and has been in 67+ heroics has finally gotten a set of items that is 2 tiers below our gear we will still never let him join our raid or guild yet still ow noesss....

What is it with people and their inflated egos in todays world..?

Um. I like the current system just fine. I do wish that the lower tiers would just disappear, allowing Triumph to pay for everything that Frost does not (Blizzard doesn't like the many varieties either, they've said), but the basic premise of getting a currency when you down a boss is sound.

Cataclysm will see a slightly different system, but don't expect it to be a totally different mechanic than it is right now. They've certainly not said anything to imply it would be.
    That's just between you, me, and my pal Captain Winky.

A simple fix to clean up the badge system would be to change it to a two badge system.

Badge 1: Only drops from the most current raid content encounters and can only buy the most current tier.
    Badge 2: Drops from everything else and can buy everything else.

This would mean they'd only have to downgrade content badge drops after a new tier is out. (i.e. when ToC is first out as the most current content it drops Badge 1, but when ICC replaces it as the current content ToC now drops only badge 2.)

I say make badges only come from raids ie: Naxx 10=Heroism .Naxx 25= Valor. Ulduar10=Valor .Ulduar 25= Conquest. ToC10=Conquest .ToC 25= Triumph Togc 10 =Triumph . Togc 25=Double Triumph badges then normal...etc etc etc
    http://www.sassygoatmilksoap.com/

Make sure once your on to listen a bit for the song!

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesia
    I say make badges only come from raids ie: Naxx 10=Heroism .Naxx 25= Valor. Ulduar10=Valor .Ulduar 25= Conquest. ToC10=Conquest .ToC 25= Triumph Togc 10 =Triumph . Togc 25=Double Triumph badges then normal...etc etc etc
    i say lets feed all the murlocs to giant bunnies.

Why should casual people not enjoy the game aswell?

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by muffinboy
    You want it to be as fast as in wotlk atm? I mean few heroics and your ready for Totc <.<
    Which is kinda point that I think people are missing.

The badge system is the way it is so people don't end up lagging too far behind the current content. To allow them the oppurtunity to get the gear needed so they can at least make a start on it.

Come Cata it's going to be a few heroics to get the gear to do the first raid. Nothing will change. People really need to see that.

Also, @theop. This is a bad idea. Why would anyone be intrested in more then 2 avaliable tier of badges, when the system in place currently works so well. Some kinks still need to be ironed out(such as higher badges counting as all the lower ones to vendors, so that we don't have to trade all the way down when buying heirlooms 3/4 patches in) but it has worked really well.

Quote Originally Posted by sicness
    A simple fix to clean up the badge system would be to change it to a two badge system.

Badge 1: Only drops from the most current raid content encounters and can only buy the most current tier.
    Badge 2: Drops from everything else and can buy everything else.
    So your "soloution" is pretty much what we have now, minus the dailys? Gratz

Quote Originally Posted by Adrena
    So your "soloution" is pretty much what we have now, minus the dailys? Gratz
    Notice I said it wasn't a solution but to clean up the badge system, as people in this thread and Blizz has mentioned the annoyance with having to downgrade badges. Grats on reading comprehension.

Deleted

Notice I said it wasn't a solution but to clean up the badge system, as people in this thread and Blizz has mentioned the annoyance with having to downgrade badges. Grats on reading comprehension.
    1) It's near midnight, and I have drunk 2 bottles of wine. Reading comprehension went out the window about an hour ago.

2) Your idea introduces more problems. The several tiers of badges is not the problem. It's the need to trade down through several tiers as the game progesses. Keeping the same system, that works, and higher tiers of badges count as lower tiers elimnates those people who would pre farm heroics prior to a patch so they can get all the downgraded badge gear on patch day.

15+ Year Old Account

Uh, they did that already. Say hello to 3.1.

"Hello, 3.1!"

Yeah, unoriginal idea is unoriginal.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

15+ Year Old Account

Due to your EXTREMELY vague explanation, I'm left with this result:

Badge 1 (Emblem of Frost, let's say) buys current content ALWAYS. This badge always drops from the current content, and the previous tier changes to Badge 2.
    Badge 2 (Emblem of Heroism, let's say) buys EVERYTHING else, including the previous top-tiers gear that is now downgraded.

What this does, inadvertently, is allows people to farm endless amounts of Badge 1, stockpile them, and then immediately buy a shitload of the newest tier gear.

Grand idea. IF this is what you were going after. You reprimand someone for comprehension, when they're basically trying to write a dissertation over Cat in the Hat.