Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast

Re: Am i a cheap bastard if i have 40k gold in the bank but

I'm not sure what class you are, but if you're buying haste gems you're generally wasting your money anyways. No class to my knowledge makes use of pure haste gems. So if you're going to insist on not min/maxing your toon, atleast buy sp/haste.

I have 3 characters in 5 specs gemmed fully epic and never spent a single copper on gems.

My professions may not make me rich in terms of having a lot money, but not needing that much money is just as good.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Artefacts:
    • In ordner to better fit the current post-truth zeitgeist, we are going to rename alle occurences of "artefact" into "artebelieve".

I have almost 60k gold across the characters on 1 realm but I refuse to buy anything from AH (Only Frost lotus for Flasks because I'm Lazy to farm on my 2 herb characters but that will be resolved with next patch).

Gems: Easy from 10k honor / 20 Emblem of Heroism / Daily transmute.
    Enchants: My guild always offers 50% of enchanting mats for top raiders. (Tho I still 'pay' 500g monthly, but thats optional).

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account

You aren't a cheap bastard for not wanting to pay an outrageous price for gems, but there are other ways to get said epic gems. On the other hand, what good is stockpiling virtual currency?

Quote Originally Posted by Generate
    Practical. whats wrong with blue gems? 4 less haste doesnt justify 200 more gold
    It shows a general lack of care. If you're not raiding progression, sure its fine. But you won't get in to any PuG of mine if you're too cheap to actually put some effort in to your gear.

Besides, how can your gear be the best it can be if, well, you simply don't get the best gems?

I'm sure there are plenty of people who would pay 500g for 23 haste gems.

I don't think cheap quite says it strongly enough, more like...idiotic? you obviously don't understand this game/life/anything? :P

10+ Year Old Account

It really doesn't matter if we think you're cheap or not, but don't expect to get into any of our raids w/o the best gems or enchants.

Quote Originally Posted by Amandil
    If you have 40k gold and really don't want to buy epic gems for your gear, noone telling you otherwise is going to change your mind. Noone is going to tell you go spend 2k of it and you still have 38k left over. You will be fixated on that 2k you just spent for 40 haste.

Honestly I don't spend 200g on epic gems either. But only because they are so easy to get without going and buying them off the AH. Every week I can spend 20 minutes in 1 WG and get 2 free gems per character. If you absolutely hate pvp and would rather claw your eyes out, I guess that is an issue.

Really I just don't know what you did to get that 40k gold that you place so much value on keeping it. Did you work really hard and farmed stuff until your eyes bleed? Will be take you another year to get up to 42k gold?

The OP is a troll anyway, but I was bored. :)

lol how am i a troll? what the hell?!

i think its a combination of a LOT of things as to why i'm still frugal with my money. i just don't feel like money will be this easy to make forever, or even too much longer. despite what people here pretend its NEVER been easy for me to make money in WoW, only until they put epic gems for honor did i strike it rich. before that i was hovering between broke a lot. i am not like some players that have multiples of 80's with perfect money making tradeskills or will go gather ore/plants and sell/tradeskill them for hours. i've tried that and i hate it. i used to aoe farm for money and i hope to never have to do that again. i don't necessarily feel i worked hard at all to make the money i have now in comparison to what i did for piddly amounts before Wotlk, but i feel i know how difficult it is to make it without having all of the assets some of you act like everyone has to make money so easy. i swear you guys exaggerate a lot how easy it is to make in other ways, but i do believe anyone can do what i did and make money relatively easy right now for how long it lasts.

there is also some truth to what the above poster said about going backwards with your bank account balance. i guess i know how donald trump feels where everyone thinks he's already a billionaire, why does he still care about making more and more money? its like when i was at 8k i wanted to see if i could get to 15k, then it became 25k, then it became 40k, and now i kind of think 50k would be neat...i understand its pretty dumb but it is what it is.

maybe it reflects my RL spending habits since i'm like this in RL. like i won't buy clothes at dept stores, i always go to Marshals, TJMaxx, Ross's. i've never purchased the epic gems since gem'ing has been out and like the other poster said i always bought the greens. again i like to think i'm practical. like i can get DKNY sweater from Marshals for $30, at a dept. store it would cost like $80~ whatever i agree and disagree with some stuff people said here but one thing i knwo is i'm not trolling

Quote Originally Posted by Nawtqq
    I'm not sure what class you are, but if you're buying haste gems you're generally wasting your money anyways. No class to my knowledge makes use of pure haste gems. So if you're going to insist on not min/maxing your toon, atleast buy sp/haste.
    Enh shaman will go pure haste and haste/ap, other than that I think only pvp mages would use them though.

I only use epic gems on my main, which has 2 gear sets.

I wouldn't even think of equipping my alts with those

I'd buy myself a chopper over gems any day. Screw the slight dps loss, you have a chopper.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkskeleton
    50 dps is being very generous. And your off by a factor of 10 anyway, 250 dps x 300 seconds is 75k.

Secondly, you want to make up that 50 dps? Go kill a boss and upgrade a piece of loot, if its a good upgrade the dps would be made up right there. Grats you just saved yourself 2000 gold per set of gear in gems, enjoy your 10+ hours of your life that you didn't have to spend wasting on gold farming.
    we wiped at 0% on heroic 25 rotface the other day, your +50dps would have helped

10+ Year Old Account

epic gems will be even easier to get it 3.3.3, so much so you wont have an excuse really. no transmutation cds, plus the fact that for 1 win in a random BG you get like 3.5k honor so lets see average 2k honor +3.5 for the win= 5.5k epic gems are 10k, so you can get an epic gem ever 2 bgs you win. plus you have 40k an epic gem wont kill you, you cheap bastard.

sure you can do that on once item but many:
    4+4+4+4+4+4+4+4+4+4+4+4+4+4+4+4+4= hell lot of haste!!

Quote Originally Posted by destructard
    no transmutation cds,

as of current patch notes, alchemy xmute CD isnt being removed

Many wealthy folks have gotten rich by not painting their houses.

If you wish to neglect 15gem sockets, and don't want the 15x4 extra strength, that's your prerogative. This also means that you're not going to be doing serious raiding, that's also your choice.

If you are content in only seeing the latter parts of icc when the buff reaches 20%, nobody will shed a tear. Until then, raid leaders will pass you over for the identical person next to you who is properly gemmed. Halfway serious guilds will deny your applications. And don't even think about complaining about that.

It's your choice, bear both the positive and the negative repercussions of it. Personally, I go as far that my alts are using green gems, not even rare ones, on the stuff they get off the triumph emblem vendor. But my main... no. A main is a main and a thing of beauty. If you are going to slot subpar gems on that, you might as well roleplay selling yourself on street corners.

I always get epic gems and I never gold farm and I have 12k... what's the big deal about stockpiling your badges and honor anyway?

I mean pure gems (Yellow, Red, Blue) cost 20 emblems each and the hybrid ones (Orange, green, purple) cost 10 emblems

While if you just use honor everything is 10k honor.

Outcome = No money spent and instead of bore farming gold you can actually do game content have more fun to get the same thing.
    Problem solved.

Not cheap at all tbh,i mean,buying gems like that and thinking like that is what got him 40K in the first place i guess,i usually get epic gems tho cause my friend gets them 100g cheaper than auction price for me so idc :D

I figure if I would roll on a Token that upgrades my T10, and provides a minimal upgrade, why would I not put out the extra gold for the same minimal upgrade on my gems?

Sig Courtesy of Yoni

Buying gold is a bad idea. Also why buy gold if you won't use it. Quit being terrible.
    SIGNATURE RULES SIGNATURE RULES SIGNATURE RULES SIGNATURE RULES