Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Need help with building sub $1000 computer

Fine but I already paid the deposit for the guy to dig a hole in my backyard to bury this thing when I set it fire, theres $3.32 im getting back.

So its just the motherboard? They you should be fine. =)
    The only pain in the ass is all the cables from the case, but its easy if you read the manual, trust me when I say mounting the motherboard is super easy and is done in less then 5 minutes (that includes mounting the backplate, motherboard standoffs and screws).

Do I really need 650watts if I never plan to overclock the cpu or add two video cards(no sli/xfire crap)? Would 550w be ok?

1 video card
    1 internal HD
    1 dvd drive
    mobo
    ram
    couple usb
    couple inside fans

550 watts is fine, as long as it's on a single rail.

I'd just like to note that Corsair power supplies are priced really strangely and it's cheaper to buy the 650TX than it is the 550VX.

Corsair 550VX - $89.99
    Corsair 650TX - $89.99

The difference is that you can get a combo with the 650TX to save $15, but when buying the 550VX there are no combos.

Case + Optical drive combo: Antec 300 Illusion
    RAM: G.Skill 2x2gb CAS7
    Motherboard + CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 + Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3
    Video card + Power supply: XFX 5770 + Corsair 650TX
    Hard drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500gb
    Total cost: $769.93

Total wattage: Probably around 300w at full load, but you do want a bit of room for aging components which can vary depending on each individual part, but you basically want to account for about 30% extra power usage on top of the maximum draw of your computer. 400 watts on a single 12v rail would be sufficient, but you want to take into account brand, total peak wattage, amperage on the 12v rail(s), capacitor aging(30% on top of 300w).

Taking all this into account the 550watt power supply would be a better choice if it were $20 cheaper, but it's not.
    Errors using inadequate data are much less than those using no data at all. - Charles Babbage