Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: NEW Shaman cookie cutter spec!

Quote Originally Posted by Shwaam
    For Resto as cookie cutter specc I believe something in the lines of http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?sham...cFOjUNL,,11927 will be correct.

(Yeah, three points over and some mistakes, but I'm confused with the Healing Wave x3 versions :P)
    Why would you spec into Toughness or Improved Ghostwolf? If that's a PvE build (which it looks like) the Stamina and Snare reduction will do a healer little good over other talents, and improved ghostwolf will be useless given that you'd likely be inside. Spec into Improved SoE (It affects FT totem as well, if you can't look past yourself in terms of what your totems will bring for people) and Elemental Weapon if you're going deep enough into Enhancement to get Ancestral Swiftness.

And even then, we would have to say +15% extra movement and 50 Haste/50 Mastery is worth going that deep into Enh instead of getting the Mastery/Speed boot enchant for +8% Speed and +35 Mastery instead.

Quote Originally Posted by whowherewhat?
    dear lord why would you be casting shocks as a healer?
    you've not taken ancestral healing, healing focus, or elemental weapons. and i'm sure with how high in the talent tree Ancestral Swiftness is, its going to be a part of every shaman's spec.
    1) The OP should wait for a full build, before starting threads like this. Imho.
    2) We can shock because with a build like that it can be worth it (maybe not shocking all the time but when we think we are gonna need the buff to heal).
    3) We can shock if we have the ilvl264 totem originally developed for elemental (flame shock give spell haste totem), which is best in slot for every shaman sepc at the moment, btw.
    4) Since in Cata mana management will be more important, we can shock for the sole reason of reduced cost on heals.
    5) Also, interesting for pvp, altough the spec posted is pve.

Seeing as we're just throwing talent trees out there, I might as well get the duel wielding healer out of the way:

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?sham...6,tFRORe,11927

Quote Originally Posted by Agrus
    Seeing as we're just throwing talent trees out there, I might as well get the duel wielding healer out of the way:

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?sham...6,tFRORe,11927
    That as done in early WOTLK or was it BC..
    Blizz changed all weapons with +spellpower to Main hand. before it was one hand and people specced into the enhancement tree for duel wielding, equipped all resto gear and respecced into resto (as respeccing talents didn't make you unequip your weapon, i have a screenshot of my shaman duel wielding decapitators in BC)

Decapitator -> 1 handed DPS axe. slot fit into "One Hand", see Karazhan www.wowhead.com

Considering the alpha is barely out, and the sheer amount of changes that will go into the game from now until live....this post is just dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormbringer
    Why would you spec into Toughness or Improved Ghostwolf? If that's a PvE build (which it looks like) the Stamina and Snare reduction will do a healer little good over other talents, and improved ghostwolf will be useless given that you'd likely be inside. Spec into Improved SoE (It affects FT totem as well, if you can't look past yourself in terms of what your totems will bring for people) and Elemental Weapon if you're going deep enough into Enhancement to get Ancestral Swiftness.

And even then, we would have to say +15% extra movement and 50 Haste/50 Mastery is worth going that deep into Enh instead of getting the Mastery/Speed boot enchant for +8% Speed and +35 Mastery instead.
    It's an unfinished PvP specc :P The OPs specc looked like a PvP specc, so I asumed it was a PvP thread.

you've not taken ancestral healing, healing focus, or elemental weapons. and i'm sure with how high in the talent tree Ancestral Swiftness is, its going to be a part of every shaman's spec.

Elemental weapons is all but worthless.

But as for the rest, yeah.

Well, to clarify: This is supposed to be a PVE spec, I would ask how many of you have played 3-4 healing classes at 80? The reason for the talents I took (besides personal pref to get to a higher bracket in enhance's situation) were based off of 4 years of healing experience with

80 druid
    80 paladin
    80 shaman
    soon to be 80 priest.

If you are just posting bs because "it is not the norm" so it sucksss! I would ask you refrain from posting unless you actually have expierence with healing.

For starters, the setup I have may not be changing much, even though they are editing out alot of "boring" talents, all of the talents that I was talking about were NOT of that sort. Obviously that doesn't mean it WONT be changed, but there is a chance these three talents will be here, and if they are this is what I will be specing and eventually I believe everyone will who wants mana conservation.

In cata there will be time to stop between casts, that means that getting a shock in there doesn't matter, the group will live. In that case, with these talents the cost of the shock is roughly 2% of your base mana so it's cost is near none, and in effect it increases your healing for the next cast by 25%, which the time it takes for that global cooldown is outweighed and the mana efficiency by JUST that part of the talent is quite impressive.

And on all of that, the point that most of you guys that are absolutely LOCKED in is MANA IS BLARG POIINTLESS! which is NOT true, in cata mana will have to be heavily watched and basicly raid timers will be healer's mana and how well they can conserve it.

That taken to note, having -40% ( and yes elemental mastery works on heals, read the tooltip -.- ) off of the mana cost of of the next two spells is a monumental boost, that means with decent crit, you can increase it's potency by 25% while reducing it's cost by 40%.

I see in no way where anything else in the tree could feasibly add as much utility as that.

I dont mind this spec too much with few exceptions. Definitely not a fan of Shamanistic focus, and i assume you took Imp GW to get there, since the 300 mana you save will not be worth the talents you lose to take it. Not taking those 3 points and using them in Ancestral healing is by all intensive purposes, noobish. Claiming that Priests give the same reduction is fine, but i know many times when that Priest is unable to keep it up (Sind HM) or dead. Do you really want to rely on other people to bring a buff that you can easily bring yourself without losing anything? Focused insight looks decent, but im thinking they will not let the mana reduction (which by the way is only 560 mana) stack with the mana reduction on Elemental Focus. Also, i would drop 3 points in Concussion (Your not gonna notice 3% damage as resto) and take Elemental Warding if your so set on taking Elem Focus in your talents.

Quote Originally Posted by atimuscalamity
    Its not the SP bonus that makes the talent appealing, its the idea of increasing the bonus healing earth living HoT does. That HoT + Riptide + CH (4 set t10) is a pretty nice amount (though its mostly overheal)
    First of all, if it's mostly overheal.. Why do it? Second of all - I'm not fairly convinced the talent even boosts the actual Earthliving that proccs, I think it -only- provides +30% of the healing offered by Earthliving.

---
    Also, of course setting anything in stone is stupid at this point, I'm sure everyone realize that.
    But why you have to shoot down ideas on speculation alone, when that's all we can do, I do not get.
    After all, isn't that the whole reason that the cataclysm-forums exist? Speculation?
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?sham...eSZxH2w,,11927
    Is what I'd specc if given the chance atm. (healingwise)
    Getting Unrelenting Storm from elem (12% of intellect per 5 seconds? Sounds too tasty to give up)
    Shamanistic focus in Enhance (I shock as often as possible, especially in PvE)
    And earth shield in Restoration.
    I'm sure you wouldn't be a specialized tank-healer or raid-healer. But I'm fairly convinced you'd be really mana-efficient, due to picking up Healing Way, Tidal Focus and Unrelenting storm - among others.
    Missing out Ancestral Healing, Tidal Waves, Ancestral Awakening and Riptide sure sucks though.
    That's also the one reason you'd likely not use this build, but if some things stay like they are, I'm pretty sure it'd still be a pretty fun build to play.

Deleted

Because healing in Cata wont be the same as in wotlk.

Quote Originally Posted by LadrielUldaman
    Focused insight:

After casting any shock spell, your next heal's mana cost is reduced by 75% of the cost of the shock spell and it's healing is increased by 25%.

(note)~ That right there is amazing, you can increase your heals by 75% 25% whenever you cast a shock spell, epic win.
    Fixed. I thought it was a good idea when I first saw it, but you're wasting a cooldown on the Shock, plus it only has a 20 yard range. I'd rather put the 5+ points elsewhere (for PvE).

Edit:
    Resto PvE build should look similar to this.
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?sham...13FyXz1,,11927

Quote Originally Posted by Archimedes
    Fixed. I thought it was a good idea when I first saw it, but you're wasting a cooldown on the Shock, plus it only has a 20 yard range. I'd rather put the 5+ points elsewhere (for PvE).

Edit:
    Resto PvE build should look similar to this.
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?sham...13FyXz1,,11927
    Thank-you for the typo fix, I believe it was restated correctly though in the summary on the bottom.

Anyway, your comment is inconclusive to the effect that: Healing in cata will not require "every cgd" to be spammed. In addition, Healing currently can be spared a gcd if you know how to do it right, I mainly play Ladriel, my paladin. And you judge ALOT which I know heals, but not directly, which technically is the SAME as this, as it provides a "buff" to healing, where this provides a literal "buff" to healing.

There difference is limited, but their utility is equal.

Quote Originally Posted by LadrielUldaman
    Thank-you for the typo fix, I believe it was restated correctly though in the summary on the bottom.

Anyway, your comment is inconclusive to the effect that: Healing in cata will not require "every cgd" to be spammed. In addition, Healing currently can be spared a gcd if you know how to do it right, I mainly play Ladriel, my paladin. And you judge ALOT which I know heals, but not directly, which technically is the SAME as this, as it provides a "buff" to healing, where this provides a literal "buff" to healing.

There difference is limited, but their utility is equal.
    I fixed it in big red letters because people were misquoting it.

I don't think inconclusive means what you think it means. I said you're using an extra CD you don't HAVE to. Not, "You CAN'T use it if you want to". Big difference. Also, the 20-yard range limit comment still applies. That means your effective healing range just got cut (kind of) in half. I generally stand as far from the boss as possible, unless environmental conditions forbid it (fire sprouting up, adds coming from the back, etc).

Yes, it sounds like it could have some use on some fights. But certainly not "cookie cutter".

Now unless i misunderstood the talent:

* After casting any shock spell, your next heal's mana cost is reduced by 75% of the cost of the shock spell and it's healing is increased by 25%.

The result is something like:
    -> Next healing spell will cost 12-15% less base mana and hit for 25% more.
    -> The total cost of when including the cost of shock spell is (X + Y/4)% where the cost of healing spell is X and the cost of shock spell is Y

So by adding 1/4 of the mana cost of a shock and spending a GCD you'll gain 25% bonus to your next healing spell. Not really that good.

Yeah, my first thoughts on Focused Insight are pretty positive, at least in the first tier of raiding, while assumedly mana is going to be the biggest focus.
    Wit mana being a bigger issue, and health in general dropping slower, then why not cast a shock and wait until some healing needs to be done?
    At a lull in necessary raid heals, with the tank shielded and at full life, whats the problem in dropping that shock on the boss, and being ready for a spike in damage?
    Based on current numbers, 'if' the talent was in existence at the moment, you could spend 670~ mana, for a 25% bigger healing wave (just an example), which is 350~ less mana.
    Still all based on speculation of course, but if healing's slowed down and more emphasis is put on watching your mana, what's the issue? It's a new mechanic, it might change the feel of how we play, however slightly, and in the general theme of things, what's the problem with more utility?
    I don't think the 11 points for Elemental Focus wouldn't be of great benefit mind. Doubt it would be active often enough to be of benefit.

Considering the mana saving talents, the Focused Insight provides some mp5.
    ( Y is the base cost of shock spell, X is the base cost of healing spell, assuming the current spell costs etc. )

25% buff to healing spell +

* plain FI will provide:
    -> net loss of 1/4 of the mana cost of shock spell, total cost being Y + X - 0.75Y = X + 0.25Y

* FI + Shamanistic Focus
    -> net gain of 1/5 of the mana cost of shock spell, total cost being 0.55Y + X - 0.75Y = X - 0.2Y

* FI + 5/5 Convection + Shamanistic Focus
    -> net gain of apprx 1/4 of the mana cost of shock spell, total cost being (0.55*0.9)Y + X - 0.75Y =~ X - 0.25Y
    -> The current cost of shock spell is 18% of base mana, which converts to ~4% base mana / 5 sec =~ 176MP5@80

For Elemental Focus to provide similar mp5, the uptime should be something like ~80%+ which is a bit unrealistic for resto shammy.

Therefore I personally do not see a way to include elemental focus to the spec. With the current knowledge of the talents, the spec would prolly be something like:
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?sham...L-jiiDR,,11927

pls people calm down lol..

To the opener: not bad build =) BUT, elemental focus aint that good because resto shamans has low crit chance. You rarely crit any shocks which makes it useless to spend 11 points to ele tree, plus they removed crit talents :<

In cata when they are majorly increasing health pools, I would take toughness 5/5 (10% more stamina) and if you want imba dueling build take searing flames 5/5 heh.. u still get riptide.

Seems like healing way 3/3 is must to take if healing wave is gonna be new main heal :/ atm im spamming lhw mostly