About to make an enhance shaman have questions for YOU!

hey there good ol peeps of the world of the war of the craft.

Im makin my 3rd 80 right now, got my 2nd 2 weeks ago and now I can't live w.o more ( lol blizz you sucked me in more).

Anyway i was going to level my dk and make it frost. 1-60 is a pain.. but

I forgot I had a blank raf account to use due to my rocket I got on my pally. Anyway I was wondering after 60 what is the best spec lvl as? Im thinkin enhance all the way. Is killin shit on a shaman pretty decent? I leveled feral and it was decent not too much of a pain. Also what boa weps? And at 80 all I know is gem haste unless your not hit / expertise capped , is there more to it? Is the rotation pretty tough or not really. ret pallys are ez pie.

and lastly are they even much fun? :'(
    Ret Paladin.
    . [

Re: About to make an enhance shaman have questions for YOU!

Leveling enhancement is definately still the way to go.

As far as level 80

http://www.mmo-champion.com/class-sh...in-wrath-faq*/

should answer pretty much anything you need to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danund81
    Just SAY IT.* "I'm right you're wrong and I know it because I have the power of a website's link."

Level as enhancement. I leveled a feral druid before I did my enhancement shaman, and I think enhancement was and is more fun, both while leveling and at 80 (: The worst part about leveling enhancement is before dual wield and stormstrike, but as you're skipping that part... Go for it. At 60, you've got wolves, SS, LL, maelstrom, all the fun shit that makes enhancemnet cool. Sham rage makes you never go Oom and with wolves you can solo all group quests, maybe except for the Ring of Blood/Champion of Anguish lines, and possibly Durn the Hungerer.
    10 char req. - because explaining is good.

I'm sort of in the same boat as the OP. I'm leveling a shaman alt that's been on the shelf for ages now and I just can't seem to get into it. Mobs seem to take ages to die. Dying is always an issue. I just feel ridiculously frail. Please tell me it gets better.

I jut hit 41 and so I've got DW and Stormstrike, but even still, it just feels like stuff takes ages to die. My ret paladin alt can take groups of three or four at a time without an issue and has a good feel about the playstyle.

Does it ever get GOOD?

10+ Year Old Account

Enh shammans are and will always be a PAIN to level until we get new spells before 40 (duel wield). At about 45+ it gets easy and fun. Stormstrike + Lava lash + never going oom. And wen u get shamanistic rage it gets even easier. I found it was the superior spec. Its more or less the only soloable spec for shamans. Ferals + Fire/Earth elemental + SR = win. Past 60 enh is easy to level. U almost never die (because u can heal urself easily) and never go oom (because SR is only a min CD). Before all this though it is a bit of a struggle. IMO always keep some water + food on u. Also heirlooms would pretty much be all the hunter ones (mail with agi on it) + the maces. Also I used to farm mobs of a bout 8+ on my enh shammy past level 70. Pretty much wolves + chain lightning + SR + fire nove = dead mobs. Also some classes werent designed to take on mass amounts of mobs (rogues) and some were (pallys). Again different play style, if u dont like it then it may not be suitable for u. But for me after the awesome leveling process it only gets better at lvl 80. WINDFURY PROC IS AWESOME SAUSE!!!. And yeh stack haste till ur eyes bleed unless ur not hit/exp cappd. If u need a blue gem get AP / Stam.
    "There is a savage beast in every man, and when you hand that man a sword or spear and send him forth to war, the beast stirs." - George R.R. Martin, A Storm of Swords

Enhance shammy is pretty much auto attack + shocks untill you get to 40. Windfury is nice though on 2-hand weapons, sometimes you'll kill enemies in 1 or 2 swings.

Since you're starting at 60ish I would actually suggest elemental. I leveled my shaman as elemental, back when there was no water shield. Even then elemental was superior. The main reason I say this is the extra stat you have to balance as melee. They need loads more hit rating because of dual wield, and on top of that expertise. If you don't have any of those stats leveling will be a pain, because most of the time you'll be fighting mobs your level or higher. Melee are also generally in face to face combat more so they take a lot more damage.

Elemental is pretty overpowered. You're 100% chance to crit with lava burst is pretty much a guarantee that all mobs will die within 2-3 casts. Elemental overload is like the windfury of casting spells, every now and then you're going to just obliterate mobs. Wearing a shield means you have more damage reduction then enhance and also you'll be killing most mobs before they get to you so mana is really the only thing you ever have to worry about, and ele shamans very rarely have problems with mana.

Overall I guess it really depends on what you wanted from the shaman, if you're looking to play a dual wield melee class (you mentioned frost dk) then you should play enhance. You're going to want to use the BoA items with +int/+agil/+stam on them and the 1 hand mace BoA weapons. The BoA leather shoulders and chest would suffice, but you'll be taking a bit more damage. The Haste trinkets will be you're best bet.

lvling to 60 is obviously enhancement, elemental is very viable starting then. (with all the mana-efficiancy and such)
    Starting 75 i found elemental the better way to go with LB, easier to solo quest with the right speccs

As far as PvE enhancement goes, at 80 it isnt very different to ret, just with a bit longer prio list and proccs, and we definately look cooler
    Still waiting for competitive PvP to not be a trainwreck...

I disagree, ENH can have no down time if you just use your rotation right. Use your 5 stacks of maelstrom for healing wave occasionally and for Lightning bolt/chain lightning occassionally, while keeping water shield up when you need mana... while letting stormstrike/windfury do most of the damage

basically im rambling on like a noob or something ... the point im trying to make is you can play two ways... smash through shit... never throwing a heal on yourself and just burning down your enemies faster than they kill you ... and drink/eat between every 4-5 pulls (all depends on gear/level of the NPC) or just water shield and heal yourself with your 5 stacks and never stop to eat/drink...

windfury will do a considerable amount of damage plus flurry etc... the reason I think this way of leveling is the most efficient is because ENH has alot of their buffs that only take effect once you've actually started combat

unleashed rage, flurry, and of course you don't want to keep dropping totems so keep those buffs up instead of stopping to drink/eat

HOWEVER i have heard from quite a few people elemental is fast, I however have never tried it.
    Too often, we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles to frown, BUT it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother upside the head.

45 Now. I've stuck with the alt for a bit of quest grind and it's picked up pace nicely. There are three things I dislike though:

1 - Shields. Do these REALLY need to be only 3 charges? Good god this needs to be done away with or changed. How about an active buff that decreases your MP5 by X%...?

2 - Totem camp while soloing. I hate having to cast, cancel, cast, cancel my totems every 30 seconds just to use them since the range is so pathetic. I sure love the boosts though. How about a totem pull spell that just moves your currently active totems to you without needing to cancel and replant?

3 - Mana sucks still. I'm using water shield and mana spring just because I hate sitting to drink every other pull. It's helped, but I'm really looking forward to 2/2 improved stormstrike and shamanistic rage.

Quote Originally Posted by zizfizziks
    45 Now. I've stuck with the alt for a bit of quest grind and it's picked up pace nicely. There are three things I dislike though:

1 - Shields. Do these REALLY need to be only 3 charges? Good god this needs to be done away with or changed. How about an active buff that decreases your MP5 by X%...?

2 - Totem camp while soloing. I hate having to cast, cancel, cast, cancel my totems every 30 seconds just to use them since the range is so pathetic. I sure love the boosts though. How about a totem pull spell that just moves your currently active totems to you without needing to cancel and replant?

3 - Mana sucks still. I'm using water shield and mana spring just because I hate sitting to drink every other pull. It's helped, but I'm really looking forward to 2/2 improved stormstrike and shamanistic rage.
    Welcome to the world of a Shaman.
    Signature size violated forum rules.

Obviously you didn't read our boards much before you started leveling, these would be considered "known issues" of the class.

Back when I leveled we didn't even have water shield. (uphill both ways and all that jazz).
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I pity people who have gotten so insensate to disrespect and abuse from repetition that they have elevated being jaded to a virtue.

Water shield can be minor-glyphed up to 4 charges. Classes that continue to use Water Shield at level 80 don't go through their charges so fast as to need more. You'll be using Lightning Shield at level 80, which talents up to 9 charges.

Wishful thinking. However, it almost sounds like you're casting totems one at a time, which definitely does suck. If you're not already, use your totem bar to put down all four in one hotkey/GCD.

It does get a lot better once you get a few mana talents. Once you get those you can stop using Water Shield, and at raid level you will actually be trying to drop as many mana talents as possible, as you'll have way too much mana regen in most fully-buffed groups.
    Parietis :: Retribution Paladin
    Størmglory :: Enhancement Shaman
    Caecius :: Arms Warrior

Deleted

In a few more levels you'll get imp SS & SR and also Static Shock which up the shield charges for lightning shield. Since you are lvl 45 you should already have a minor glyph and 2 majors at 50 you get an extra minor so you can easily have Glyph of Water Shield to give you an extra 1 water globe.

Note you are almost working against yourself, dropping totems and picking them up all the time will use up a lot of mana, for many/most mobs at that level its REALLY not worthwhile, only really when you have packs or elites is it worthwhile. NB your biggest damage boost comes from having weapons of a decent level, the lower the level of your weapons the slower your levelling is. Your weapons are REALLY important not to let get behind you in level.